Brockers and Jenkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Both Brockers and Jenkins are entering their third season, both showed more potential as rookies than as second year vets, Imo at least.

I can see big improvement from both this year if they can respond and adapt to Williams demanding discipline.

Who do you guys look for to make a significant step this year?
Actually I thought Brockers played better in his 2nd year. I'm not saying he's Quinn or anything, but they both seem to be on the same career arc. Both were very young when drafted, had high upside/ton of athletic ability but did not have enough time to come into their own. I actually look for Brockers to have a much better 2013.

I think Jenkins had a bad year last year, mostly because of scheme and lack of a FS. With the change in DC I think he will have a much better year.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Brockers still may not get a bunch of sacks in any given year but he is mostly there to clog the middle and take up blockers while making the occasional sack. Still he had 5.5 sacks last year and his cleanest and best sack (absolutely textbook) was taken away from him with one of the worst calls I have ever seen.
I agree that was a Horrendous call! One of the worst I seen as well! I couldn't believe my eyes when they were whistling the play dead when we were running it back... bastard ref. Gonna try and find a clip for that.

wow

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't mind him taking chances when it's zone coverage. But he can't afford to do that when he's manned-up on someone. When there's no over-the-top help, one gamble can lead to 6 points. Now maybe if the offense starts putting up 30 points, it won't be as difficult to overcome. But until that happens, he needs to focus more on being a shut-down corner as opposed to a playmaker.

That said, if the pass-rush is as fierce as we all hope, his gambles will pay off much, much more. Hurries and bad decisions aren't something you want to happen in the neighborhood of Janoris Jenkins. He'll almost always make you pay. Great hands for a DB, and great ball instincts. If anyone is going to benefit from an improved pass rush, it's almost certainly going to be him.
I'd agree with that with one exception. In the red zone, he can make a huge impact with no help over the top. Pretty much because there isn't room for any. Get to the QB down there and JJ can get you that 90 yard pick six. Talk about a momentum swing. Otherwise, he definitely needs to keep catch percentages down and otherwise secure the tackle until he sees a clear mistake that he can take advantage of.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that was a Horrendous call! One of the worst I seen as well! I couldn't believe my eyes when they were whistling the play dead when we were running it back... bastard ref. Gonna try and find a clip for that.

wow

Yeah - I had to walk into the kitchen of my restaurant to vent on that one. I was watching the game in my pub. Pretty funny the expression on peoples' faces when I came back in. Even Shecock fans were empathizing with me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd agree with that with one exception. In the red zone, he can make a huge impact with no help over the top. Pretty much because there isn't room for any. Get to the QB down there and JJ can get you that 90 yard pick six. Talk about a momentum swing. Otherwise, he definitely needs to keep catch percentages down and otherwise secure the tackle until he sees a clear mistake that he can take advantage of.
How dare you agree with me.

good-day-sir.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man that annoyed me when Fitzgerald grabbed the top of Jenkins' facemask to keep him from pulling in that interception.
No doubt but I have to say it was pretty heady. See what I did there?

A55VA6

Legend

wow

I flipped shit when they threw that flag. That hit was textbook.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm OK with JJ giving up some big plays as long as he is making some at a higher rate. And as long as it's due to him taking a shot at making a big play and not just blowing it like he did a few times last year. When you have a player like that I think it's the coaches responsibility to let him take the gamble when he thinks he can win. It's what makes some of those guys stars. TPolamalu made mistakes, but he made lots of big plays too.

I agree he is going to have more opportunity with an improved pass rush and I expect to see him take some chances. He'll get toasted once in awhile but he will get his share I'm confident of that. He's dangerous when he has the ball so I'd like to see him with it.

yes I chuckled at the start when they showed him getting the call from the Rams and he was holding a kid.......

Thanks for linking my video! ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Nah cut the kid loose and let him go after the ball. We haven't had a ball hawk in the secondary since Otogwe and if the Rams have a guy back there who can take it away it'll make QB's worry because they won't want to risk a takeaway and big return.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thanks for linking my video! ;)

I didn't know it was.....that was good work though. I enjoyed it a lot and it really highlights (at least to me) why you want to give him the freedom to go after the ball.

Volnerman08

Rookie
I love how people accept that Jenkins and others will get better in there 3rd season but at the same time still think Brian Quick is a bum going into his 3rd season. The dude has a ton of talent and will prove everyone wrong this year...

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I can almost assure you that this season, Jenkins will make a very noticeable leap as a player. I'm talking a top 15 CB in the league type of thing. Trust me on this. I just have that feeling.

lockdnram21

Legend
I love how people accept that Jenkins and others will get better in there 3rd season but at the same time still think Brian Quick is a bum going into his 3rd season. The dude has a ton of talent and will prove everyone wrong this year...

Now u probably know im the biggest Quick supporter but you cant compare the 2. Janoris had a great rookie year and should of defensive rookie of year.

Volnerman08

Rookie
Now u probably know im the biggest Quick supporter but you cant compare the 2. Janoris had a great rookie year and should of defensive rookie of year.
I agree and an in no way saying Quick rookie season was comparable to JJ. All I'm saying is a lot of players seem to really come into there own in there 3rd season, especially skill positions like wide receivers and cornerbacks. I'm just sour because some already think he's a bust. While he wasn't great last season, he was really coming into his own towards the end with a crap qb throwing him the ball. I just wish some would be more positive about his progression, though most on here some to be more positive then a lot of the people I talk to outside of this forum.

lockdnram21

Legend
I agree and an in no way saying Quick rookie season was comparable to JJ. All I'm saying is a lot of players seem to really come into there own in there 3rd season, especially skill positions like wide receivers and cornerbacks. I'm just sour because some already think he's a bust. While he wasn't great last season, he was really coming into his own towards the end with a crap qb throwing him the ball. I just wish some would be more positive about his progression, though most on here some to be more positive then a lot of the people I talk to outside of this forum.

well in that case i agree 100%

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

People are skeptical because they haven't seen Quick do a whole lot yet, certainly nothing on the order of what JJ did in his rookie year.

However, I sincerely hope (and I'm probably not alone) that at some point this season you have good reason to post an "I told you so" thread regarding Quick. If that happens, I will gladly come here and tell you that you were right on him. He most definitely has the physical tools.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
How are we gonna pay all these guys? Lol

I mean, really. I guess making very few moves via FA and continueing to have great drafts is the key. We don't need big FA, we need what we have.