Brian Schottenheimer Is Not the Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yet the Houston Texans have been rotating QB's throughout the season and have more PPG than us, despite also being first year in a new system and on their 4th QB (one that we brought in briefly this season at that)
We can do this all day, dude. I can name dozens upon dozens of coaches who did poorly without their QB, but my point wasn't about league trends. It's about who Schotty had to work with during his time as an offensive coordinator.

iced

We can do this all day, dude. I can name dozens upon dozens of coaches who did poorly without their QB, but my point wasn't about league trends. It's about who Schotty had to work with during his time as an offensive coordinator.

And that's also my point - there are coaches out there producing that don't have ideal circumstances yet are achieving better results.

And it's also not just about the QB , but about utilizing the talent too.

I could be wrong but I sincerely doubt there is anyone who is going to say that Schotty is getting the most out of Tavon Austin...whom should be one of our biggest weapons on offense

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And that's also my point - there are coaches out there producing that don't have ideal circumstances yet are achieving better results.

And it's also not just about the QB , but about utilizing the talent too.

I could be wrong but I sincerely doubt there is anyone who is going to say that Schotty is getting the most out of Tavon Austin...whom should be one of our biggest weapons on offense
Your point is about Schotty's QB situation, and you prove it by naming one other team who's averaging 2.1 more points per game than the Rams? Color me confused, I guess. I understand everyone wants Tavon to be utilized "properly" in the offense, but I'm yet to see anyone say why he isn't. Schottenheimer isn't a stupid coordinator surrounded by even stupider coaches in Fisher and McGinnis. Maybe Austin isn't the second coming of Steve Smith, and is instead more of the second coming of Dexter McCluster.

WvuIN02

Starter

So a guy can get a pass his entire career?? I feel like some fans can be such homers that they will never find fault with anyone until they are gone, and sometimes not even then. There's plenty of things about this team to be positive about, but I don't see how the OC can be one. His misuse of Austin never going deep is indictment enough.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So a guy can get a pass his entire career?? I feel like some fans can be such homers that they will never find fault with anyone until they are gone, and sometimes not even then. There's plenty of things about this team to be positive about, but I don't see how the OC can be one. His misuse of Austin never going deep is indictment enough.
Did I say he gets a pass his entire career? Or did I point out what I felt were hindrances to his game plans being more effective? If you wanna call me a homer for looking at a situation through a blue and gold prism, then fine. I couldn't care any less about that, and I'll always do it. This isn't a find a way to find the worst in a situation and pass some blame forum. It's a Rams fan forum. That said, I never type anything that isn't objective or based on facts. It's up to other people to disprove it, and do so in a way that will disparage the team in the process. You're also turning what I said in defense of Schotty's situation into a statement that I'm saying he's a positive. Did I do that too? Because I don't remember it.

Austin never goes deep? I just saw him do it yesterday. How certain are you that he's a good receiver at the NFL level, and not using your own brand of "homerism" right now?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
6 years of bad offense and top draft picks, hard for me to blame the players...
I don't either. I blame the inability to stay on the field and two rebuilds as the primary culprits. Not 2 coaches and 3 coordinators.

iced

Your point is about Schotty's QB situation, and you prove it by naming one other team who's averaging 2.1 more points per game than the Rams? Color me confused, I guess.
I can name more if you like - for example, last year's Cleveland browns. 3 different QB's still didn't matter in Turner's offense

Just tired of hearing the excuses for schotty - he seemed to be one constant from one fan base to another...with same issues..adjustments, play calling, etc..

I understand everyone wants Tavon to be utilized "properly" in the offense, but I'm yet to see anyone say why he isn't. Schottenheimer isn't a stupid coordinator surrounded by even stupider coaches in Fisher and McGinnis. Maybe Austin isn't the second coming of Steve Smith, and is instead more of the second coming of Dexter McCluster.

Yet the Jets have made more use out of Percy Harvin in a short time...the Cardinals with John Brown...etc.. it goes on and on.

It's not that Schottenheimer is a bad coach - there are just better ones out there..

And how much of Sanchez falls on Schotty btw? He was the one that was supposed to develop him after all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can name more if you like - for example, last year's Cleveland browns. 3 different QB's still didn't matter in Turner's offense
Campbell Weeden and Hoyer? Yeah, I guess it's the coodinator's fault that all 3 can't play QB very well. And Norv Turner never really had a good offense before, right? All you did right there was prove what I'm saying (and what Fassel recently said). You want to be a good coordinator? Have good players.

Just tired of hearing the excuses for schotty - he seemed to be one constant from one fan base to another...with same issues..adjustments, play calling, etc..
And I'm tired of hearing him get all the blame. SUPER tired of hearing the no-adjustment argument. Name me the times he doesn't do it, and then prove it. Just because an offense doesn't get going, doesn't mean there are no adjustments. Adjustments happen by the minute. It's not a switch you flip or a page you turn in a playbook.

Yet the Jets have made more use out of Percy Harvin in a short time...the Cardinals with John Brown...etc.. it goes on and on.
What? He has 29 catches on 52 targets. He had 22 receptions on 26 targets in Seattle. What he's doing in NY is what he's done his entire career. Minnesota used him about as well as anyone else has. John Brown? He has 44 receptions on 93 targets and hasn't played for anyone else, so I'm not even sure what point you're making there other than to find a way to make it about Schottenheimer somehow.

It's not that Schottenheimer is a bad coach - there are just better ones out there.
Well, yeah. And worse too. Until we can pry one away from another team or sign one who has yet to show what he can do, we have what we have. All I've (and others have) done is point out what kinds of limitations are being imposed, and how they can adversely affect the outcome of a game plan. When you hear me say that Schotty is the best OC in the league, then you can have a legitimate gripe and take me around the world with these kinds of irrelevant comparisons.

And how much of Sanchez falls on Schotty btw? He was the one that was supposed to develop him after all.
Can't turn a pony into a race horse. And neither can Chip Kelly.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Fisher isn't going to magically change his stripes. His offense is what it is. If you want to look ahead at who our new coordinator would be if Schotty was fired, look to his past. His nepotist coaching staff will always be his friends.

WvuIN02

Starter
Did I say he gets a pass his entire career? Or did I point out what I felt were hindrances to his game plans being more effective? If you wanna call me a homer for looking at a situation through a blue and gold prism, then fine. I couldn't care any less about that, and I'll always do it. This isn't a find a way to find the worst in a situation and pass some blame forum. It's a Rams fan forum. That said, I never type anything that isn't objective or based on facts. It's up to other people to disprove it, and do so in a way that will disparage the team in the process. You're also turning what I said in defense of Schotty's situation into a statement that I'm saying he's a positive. Did I do that too? Because I don't remember it.

Austin never goes deep? I just saw him do it yesterday. How certain are you that he's a good receiver at the NFL level, and not using your own brand of "homerism" right now?

Well as someone who looks at things objectively, I'd say nine years is well above the time needed to do so. As for Tavon, I said on this forum after the draft Stedman would be the better receiver and TA would need to be utilized properly to be effective (which I feel he isn't). Either way, I give players three years so we will see next year....maybe he isnt an NFL receiver, but I think being stuck with this style of offense was a terrible fit for his game and dont understand the Rams reasoning for drafting him. As an aside, I find it incredibly ironic that I read posts from some of the same posters here pointing out Quick needed three years and in the same place bashing Austin relentlessly.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Any OC would still have Hill as the QB and a bad inte
Today it didn't and then it's the coaching staffs fault for not having a contingency plan.

You can't predict these things. And those are expensive with QB's.

Quit whining

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well as someone who looks at things objectively, I'd say nine years is well above the time needed to do so. As for Tavon, I said on this forum after the draft Stedman would be the better receiver and TA would need to be utilized properly to be effective (which I feel he isn't). Either way, I give players three years so we will see next year....maybe he isnt an NFL receiver, but I think being stuck with this style of offense was a terrible fit for his game and dont understand the Rams reasoning for drafting him. As an aside, I find it incredibly ironic that I read posts from some of the same posters here pointing out Quick needed three years and in the same place bashing Austin relentlessly.

They did try to go spread when they drafted him. Its an odd situation

WvuIN02

Starter
Can't turn a pony into a race horse. And neither can Chip Kelly.

While Sanchez is still predisposed to turning the ball over which is on him, Chip Kelly has done far more with him.

His QBR is 18 points higher than it was in his time in NY, and his yards per game is up over 70 more than his time in NY. In 4 years he averaged 194 ypg under Schotty, and in Philly its at 265 ypg....percentage wise that is a huge difference.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While Sanchez is still predisposed to turning the ball over which is on him, Chip Kelly has done far more with him.

His QBR is 18 points higher than it was in his time in NY, and his yards per game is up over 70 more than his time in NY. In 4 years he averaged 194 ypg under Schotty, and in Philly its at 265 ypg....percentage wise that is a huge difference.
Conversley, the Jets team was 27-20 with he and Shott in NY, and he's 3-4 as a starter in Philly where Foles is 14-4
Only difference IMO is that he gets more pass attempts in Philly

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Any OC would still have Hill as the QB and a bad inte

You can't predict these things. And those are expensive with QB's.

Quit whining

I'm not whining was just responding to a post about Hill not being able to throw deep.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 with this:
Nope, Schotty is NOT the problem....Not sure we have the guns to win a shootout...Don't know why either...But with the QB's he's dealt with in his 5 years of coaching as an OC, he has done OK....
I agree that Schotty isn't the problem but he's not the solution either. Like with the rest of our team, I'm not satisfied with OK.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Kind of a small sample size though, isn't it? I can pick 7 games Sanchez played in while in NY (in a row) that would boast the same achievements. Bottom line is, he isn't getting it done for Chip Kelly either.