Brian Schottenheimer Is Not the Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schotty frustrates me at times but I don't know of many fan-bases that like their OC. I will say that watching this team week after week, I don't think Schotty is the problem. Tavon's usage frustrates me but I also don't think Tavon is "there" yet as a WR. I would like to see him used more on deep routes but that's digressing from my point.

Our QB play this year has been a major issue and it's hard for an OC to look good when his QB misses a lot of plays. To add onto the QB woes, we lost our #1 WR and our starting LT early in the season. Davin Joseph and Scott Wells have not been bad. They have arguably been the worst players at their positions this year. And our offense has to work to compensate for the liabilities they are in the middle of the OL. Joe Barksdale has struggled the second half of the year. And we're breaking in a rookie LT.

Look, it's easy to point the finger at Schotty but I think it's very arguable that our offense has overachieved. I'm not sure there are many OCs that could have done much with this offense this year. The right side of our OL has been atrocious. Our C and RG can't be relied upon in the run game and we have to design blocking schemes to cover for their issues. Our RT and LT have had consistency issues. And our WR/TE corp is much better this year but still not the best in this league. Then when you add a journeyman spot starter as well as a career 3rd stringer as our QBs...what do people expect?

My opinion is that if Fisher stays, Schotty deserves another year with a real QB and a real interior OL.

I'm not saying the guy needs to have the perfect offense...but like we demand for Sam, is it too much to ask for Schotty to have an offense with average talent before we judge him?

So...lets fix our interior and lets stabilize the QB situation. I'm already resigned to the fact that Fisher will be back next year...but he will be on the hot seat for me. Enough of the losing. It's time for this team to make the playoffs.

I think Schotty should be back to. I think the guy has been criticized a bit unfairly this year.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I don't think Wells or Joseph start on any other one of the 31 teams in the NFL. They're THAT bad.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Copycat. :snicker:

If Hill had eleven more muscle fibers in his throwing arm, we would have won this game by 14.

That's not Schotty's fault. He's working with who he has, and who he has isn't Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am still not impressed with Schotty. Sure he has had some tough go with the bad Oline play but other than the Raiders game when has anything he done looked impressive with the Rams? Just for example remember how bad Arizonas Oline and offense in general were. Arians totally turned it all around in a short time. In comparison Schottenheimer does not impress.

But I wont focus on Schott this offseason because I doubt he will go anywhere. Niether will Fisher and crew. They will be allowed to play out their contracts I am sure. My guess is Kroenke sticks with Fisher even longer than his contract.

However if this team once again comes out of an offseason without legitimate upgrades at Center and ORG then I will be severely disappointed. Barksdale has not looked good either but then, who would look good playing alongside Joseph? Barksdale played much better with Saffold next to him. The offense still needs a major overhaul.

They need a true #1 WR. A guy like Cooper or White along with Britt and Quick would be formidable.
They need to get a better QB plan in place
They need to fix the Oline issues at ORG and Center.

With the Barron trade the Rams are lacking picks. So, it may be hard to accomplish all of this in the draft so they need to be players in free agency. One ORG and Center would work wonders before draft day. First round WR is now on my list unless Winston is there.

Alan

Legend
-X- putting some blame on execution:
If Hill had eleven more muscle fibers in his throwing arm, we would have won this game by 14.

That's not Schotty's fault. He's working with who he has, and who he has isn't Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.
With a better QB our offense would be and work a lot better. But answer me this if you would, isn't part of an OC's job to call plays that will work with the players he has and not with the players he'd like to have?

I'm not asking that because I want us to fire Scotty. I want to give him another year. But I would think that's rule number one though.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
In 9 seasons, Brian Schottenhiemer has proven to simply be the most unlucky offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I have never been on the fire Schotty bandwagon, mainly for practical reasons. Why would a HC (Fisher) who possibly has one year left to prove something start fresh at OC? It is not happening unless Schotty gets a HC job in college somewhere. I do also agree with the points made in the post that our offense is just atrocious in key areas.

IMO Wells has gotten by with his football intelligence while with the Rams. By that I mean, I'm not so sure Fisher is confident that Barnes or Jones can make the correct line calls. So in a sense we have been stuck with Wells.

I'm ok with Schotty, especially when you realize 80% of NFL fans hate their OC. But in reality, it is not that big of a deal.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Copycat. :snicker:

Couldn't one say that coaching like he has them is an issue?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Today the whole damn coaching staff was the problem! It was an embarrassing day to be a Ram fan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am still not impressed with Schotty. Sure he has had some tough go with the bad Oline play but other than the Raiders game when has anything he done looked impressive with the Rams? Just for example remember how bad Arizonas Oline and offense in general were. Arians totally turned it all around in a short time. In comparison Schottenheimer does not impress.

This year? Dallas, SF#2, today, Seattle, San Diego...

Speaking of Arians, their offense is rated right around ours. They aren't winning with their offense.

But I wont focus on Schott this offseason because I doubt he will go anywhere. Niether will Fisher and crew. They will be allowed to play out their contracts I am sure. My guess is Kroenke sticks with Fisher even longer than his contract.

However if this team once again comes out of an offseason without legitimate upgrades at Center and ORG then I will be severely disappointed. Barksdale has not looked good either but then, who would look good playing alongside Joseph? Barksdale played much better with Saffold next to him. The offense still needs a major overhaul.

I agree Barksdale did look better with Saffold but it's hard to offer him a lot of money on that gamble. If he's willing to take a cheaper deal, I'd bring him back but I'm not willing to offer him good RT money anymore.

But yes, I will lose it if we don't address RG at minimum. Center...I'm not as bothered by if Wells is gone and we have a quality RG.

They need a true #1 WR. A guy like Cooper or White along with Britt and Quick would be formidable.

I think we're set at WR. Just my opinion. Wouldn't turn one down but I like what we have.

They need to get a better QB plan in place
They need to fix the Oline issues at ORG and Center.

They do. Badly need all three of these things fixed. And we need OL depth.

With the Barron trade the Rams are lacking picks. So, it may be hard to accomplish all of this in the draft so they need to be players in free agency. One ORG and Center would work wonders before draft day. First round WR is now on my list unless Winston is there.

We can accomplish it. But I think a first round WR is not needed. So unless one present tremendous value...I'm passing.

The only IOL I like in FA is Wisniewski and I doubt that happens so we should probably go OL early...wouldn't mind if we spent both of our picks in the first 2 rounds on OLs.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think we need more talent, and our coaching hasn't been the problem most weeks.

However I think with this current coaching staff, although we'll almost always be competitive week to week and season to season, I'm not sure that we'll be a team that makes jaws drop, when we probably have some of the pieces to do so. As a young team this coaching staff is exactly what we need though, learn how to play and play smart. It's not that I want to replace Fisher and Co or anything either, but it may take a different approach to unlock the full potential of this team once the foundation is finished. I really hope that Fisher and Co is able to do that, but I'm not convinced yet. Part of the problem is I'm not sure how that happens or who to target. A lot of that relies on luck, with the right pieces falling into place at the right time. A year too early or too late and it all falls apart.

I agree though, stable QB and O-Line play is a must if we want to take that next step. I'm hoping Bradford stays healthy to help the first part, we'll probably need to draft heavy for the second.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Schotty frustrates me at times but I don't know of many fan-bases that like their OC. I will say that watching this team week after week, I don't think Schotty is the problem. Tavon's usage frustrates me but I also don't think Tavon is "there" yet as a WR. I would like to see him used more on deep routes but that's digressing from my point.

Our QB play this year has been a major issue and it's hard for an OC to look good when his QB misses a lot of plays. To add onto the QB woes, we lost our #1 WR and our starting LT early in the season. Davin Joseph and Scott Wells have not been bad. They have arguably been the worst players at their positions this year. And our offense has to work to compensate for the liabilities they are in the middle of the OL. Joe Barksdale has struggled the second half of the year. And we're breaking in a rookie LT.

Look, it's easy to point the finger at Schotty but I think it's very arguable that our offense has overachieved. I'm not sure there are many OCs that could have done much with this offense this year. The right side of our OL has been atrocious. Our C and RG can't be relied upon in the run game and we have to design blocking schemes to cover for their issues. Our RT and LT have had consistency issues. And our WR/TE corp is much better this year but still not the best in this league. Then when you add a journeyman spot starter as well as a career 3rd stringer as our QBs...what do people expect?

My opinion is that if Fisher stays, Schotty deserves another year with a real QB and a real interior OL.

I'm not saying the guy needs to have the perfect offense...but like we demand for Sam, is it too much to ask for Schotty to have an offense with average talent before we judge him?

So...lets fix our interior and lets stabilize the QB situation. I'm already resigned to the fact that Fisher will be back next year...but he will be on the hot seat for me. Enough of the losing. It's time for this team to make the playoffs.

I think Schotty should be back to. I think the guy has been criticized a bit unfairly this year.

So who do we hold accountable? Who is responsible? We're seeing the same mistakes being made, game after game.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath

No disrespect to you but,you seem to be a very smart person when it comes to football.Please take a look at Bradford's first year.Considering that Bradford is a dropback passer,the best way to stop a dropback passer is pressure up the middle.Bradford use to rollout all the time because of the pressure up the middle.In the Carolina game he got injured because of pressure up the middle.Also,for 10 years the Rams have been having problems running up the middle (Washington game in 2010,2011 and 2012 and this year).Also, in the Cardinals game last week they couldn't punch it in.The big issue I have had has been the center and guard play.Today Wells snapped the ball over Hills head three times and Joseph kept getting called for holding or false start.As you said,interior line.Our line has been horrible for nearly 10 years and I can't believe the Rams have not been able to solve this problem.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm in the opinion that our OL is the biggest culprit. Especially lately. We can run the ball now and then, but damn if they don't leak like a sieve in the pass pro! It doesn't matter who the QB is or the WR's. if the QB can't set his feet on most of his drops, don't expect the passing game to be good. Also ... the bad snaps this yr .... realy? Pro Bowl C huh?

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
With a better QB our offense would be and work a lot better. But answer me this if you would, isn't part of an OC's job to call plays that will work with the players he has and not with the players he'd like to have?

I'm not asking that because I want us to fire Scotty. I want to give him another year. But I would think that's rule number one though.
After watching what Dallas did to Andrew Luck I can assure it will take more than the QB to win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No disrespect to you but,you seem to be a very smart person when it comes to football.Please take a look at Bradford's first year.Considering that Bradford is a dropback passer,the best way to stop a dropback passer is pressure up the middle.Bradford use to rollout all the time because of the pressure up the middle.Also,for 10 years the Rams have been having problems running up the middle (Washington game in 2010,2011 and 2012 and this year).Also, in the Cardinals game last week they couldn't punch it in.The big issue I have had has been the center and guard play.Today Wells snapped the ball over Hills head three times and Joseph kept getting called for holding or false start.As you said,interior line.Our line has been horrible for nearly 10 years and I can't believe the Rams have not been able to solve this problem.

I agree. I think we're all aware that the IOL has been a major issue. But I'm just having a hard time understanding why that's the fault of the OC?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in the opinion that our OL is the biggest culprit. Especially lately. We can run the ball now and then, but damn if they don't leak like a sieve in the pass pro! It doesn't matter who the QB is or the WR's. if the QB can't set his feet on most of his drops, don't expect the passing game to be good. Also ... the bad snaps this yr .... realy? Pro Bowl C huh?

Yep, we can. But it seems like a lot of our success running it comes outside the tackles or on misdirection such as counters and traps. I don't notice a lot of success running the ball inside the tackles to the front-side of the play.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I agree. I think we're all aware that the IOL has been a major issue. But I'm just having a hard time understanding why that's the fault of the OC?
No offense works if the OL doesn't block well but people think it's all on the QB