Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not exclusively, no. If we're going to run the same kind of offense again, we'll either put Kendricks in as the move TE (his original role), or draft/sign a replacement. Quick could be used in the slot as a run blocker on specific plays, kind of like how AZ uses Fitzgerald, but I don't see him becoming what Jared Cook was supposed to be. To me, Cook wasn't aggressive enough as a blocker, and I don't think Quick would be either. Though, I couldn't see him being any worse. Quick has the prototypical wide receiver build and agility. All he needs now is that little extra something to tie it all together. Be it brains, determination, balls, killer instinct, whatever you wanna call it. He just needs it.
I would really like to see the Rams develop some sort of middle passing game.
I think Britt and Quick could both be used in this capacity....to use their physicality in that medium range game.

nighttrain

Legend
I would really like to see the Rams develop some sort of middle passing game.
I think Britt and Quick could both be used in this capacity....to use their physicality in that medium range game.
going over the middle should make both dangerous in moving the chains
train

fearsomefour

Legend
going over the middle should make both dangerous in moving the chains
train
The little bits we saw of Britt working in that 10 to 15 yard range last year he was not terrible. He fights the ball sometimes, but, I think he can be affective and it will open up more deep/double move sort of opportunities for him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ok. Britt, Austin, Marquez is what we have now. Not much there.
The Rams need to draft a couple of WRs, sign at least one FA WR, probably a couple to try and fill their corp out. A low priced FA WR that is an upgrade is going to be hard to find.
Sign him on the cheap and let him compete for a spot. If the Rams use their first round pick on a WR and a late round pick, sign a guy like Kearse from Seattle or Jones from the Bengals who can be a good guy and not break the bank and another lower level FA. This would be the approach I would use. Britt, Austin, Marquez as the hold overs, the first round pick, lets say Kearse and Quick as FAs, the late round pick and any undrafted rookies or practice squad hold overs. Finding a mix to try to find a good of WRs. More than likely even a first round pick will not have huge impact year one. A top level FA WR, if even available, would cost too much for my taste. Britt and Austin don't set the world on fire as receivers, although, I don't think either has been used correctly really.
I am not signing Quick with the idea of relying on him to be a main guy, but, he would compete for a spot. He has physical talent. Worth a low cost to me. Where he was drafted holds no meaning to me now, means nothing at all.
So, using my example, 1st rnd WR, Britt, Austin, Kearse, Quick, Marquez, late rnd WR, undrafted FA WR....is that enough to find 6 WRs to make a professional corp? Really should be.
I will agree that the WR unit is very thin in numbers & light in talent. The Ram WR's we have after the 3 ...KB,TA & BM are a 100% unknown to me. Maybe some member here can add to this side of the decision here but I have nothing to add here. So I looking @ both the draft & free agency here. Rams will have some extra cap cash here after the first major wave of FA signings take place to go hard for. But as you can see from my previous post I not in favor of any major considerations being offered @ BQ. Best I would say for him is as the 6th Ram WR.

fearsomefour

Legend
I will agree that the WR unit is very thin in numbers & light in talent. The Ram WR's we have after the 3 ...KB,TA & BM are a 100% unknown to me. Maybe some member here can add to this side of the decision here but I have nothing to add here. So I looking @ both the draft & free agency here. Rams will have some extra cap cash here after the first major wave of FA signings take place to go hard for. But as you can see from my previous post I not in favor of any major considerations being offered @ BQ. Best I would say for him is as the 6th Ram WR.
Agree to disagree.
For a low money deal I don't think they are going to find a more athletically talented guy to compete for a depth spot.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Agree to disagree.
For a low money deal I don't think they are going to find a more athletically talented guy to compete for a depth spot.
In FA, no. It's going to be difficult to find someone as cheap as Quick.
I believe we can find WR talent with upside in the draft, though. Which would also be cheap.
Quick is cheap. I'm with you on that. I'm just at the point where I've lost my patience with him. Even with the injury, I feel he should be much further along than he is.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's face it, fellas.

Our WR corps needs upgrading if we even want to think about playoffs.

Britt is a #2, don't you think? Serviceable, but doesn't strike fear into opposing D's.

Tavon is a gadget player. A real weapon, but not a real WR.

Marquez shows some promise, but at best he looks like just a fairly average WR.

And I think that's about it, 'cause I've given up on Quick, and I doubt Bailey will ever again see the field.

Sooooo...

I think we're gonna see a drafted WR taken pretty high. Maybe Treadwell if he falls. And also a couple of second tier FA's signed, as well.

Don't see any other options. The FO must address this much the same as they did the OL last year, and the secondary before that.

As an aside, why does S&F continually put themselves in positions where they must "flood" position groups like this every year? I don't get that.

fearsomefour

Legend
In FA, no. It's going to be difficult to find someone as cheap as Quick.
I believe we can find WR talent with upside in the draft, though. Which would also be cheap.
Quick is cheap. I'm with you on that. I'm just at the point where I've lost my patience with him. Even with the injury, I feel he should be much further along than he is.
Understood.
I would be burning one early draft pick and one later draft pick on WR....I would like Cooks position to be filled via FA. I think the Rams only have 6 picks this year so, burning two on one position is tough. Drafting a DT and a DE (if both Hayes and Sims are not resigned) and quickly running out of draft picks.

fearsomefour

Legend
Let's face it, fellas.

Britt is a #2, don't you think? Serviceable, but doesn't strike fear into opposing D's.

And I think that's about it, 'cause I've given up on Quick, and I doubt Bailey will ever again see the field.

Sooooo...

I think we're gonna see a drafted WR taken pretty high. Maybe Treadwell if he falls. And also a couple of second tier FA's signed, as well.

Don't see any other options. The FO must address this much the same as they did the OL last year, and the secondary before that.

As an aside, why does S&F continually put themselves in positions where they must "flood" position groups like this every year? I don't get that.
Ok....
So, grab Marvin Jones for 5 years $25M and Kearse for 4 years $17M....so, fill two WR holes for $9.5M still draft one high, but, doesn't need to be in the first round then. Although if I am spending that much on two FA WRs if I am drafting a WR I am drafting because I think he is a true dominant, rare #1 WR.
Jones, Kearse, Britt, Austin, rookie, Marquez....that works for me.
Lets spend all $23M freed up by releasing our three guys....
$9.5M on those two receivers (guessing on what they will sign for), resign Barron for $6M, resign Hayes and Sims for the balance. That was easy to spend that $23M.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm done with the Brian Quick experiment. Hopefully Fisher and company are too.
Tavon, Britt and Marquez are the only current WR's who should be brought back to camp this year IMO.
Draft one(or two) and reach out to Anquan Boldin to continue his NFC West tour of duty.
I agree with you up until Boldin, I'd rather reach out to a certain WR w/ the Bears!!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree with you up until Boldin, I'd rather reach out to a certain WR w/ the Bears!!
I'm big on veteran player/coaches. I think a guy like Boldin, could bring some much needed experience and attitude to our WR core.
Much like Finnegan brought a feisty attitude to our defense a few years ago.
The seed planted by Finnegan, has grown into a beautiful garden. A pissed off garden of fire, that wants to destroy all that oppose it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My concern with Jeffery is the Rams making a BIG money splash on a WR who may have durability issues at only 26 yrs old.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Let's face it, fellas.

Sooooo...

My dream is that one of the big 3 QB prospects falls to us at 15. Then we take 2 WR's on the 2nd.
I'm fine with rolling with Kendricks at TE and filling the back up roll with a vet or later in the draft.

Last year we read and heard Cook was going to be a big part of our offense. The reports were also that Foles and Cook were hitting it off on the field. That never correlated to Sunday.
It looks that with the signing of Groh, we may be stepping away from a TE heavy offense. At least that's the way it appears to me. I may be wrong, though.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My concern with Jeffery is the Rams making a BIG money splash on a WR who may have durability issues at only 26 yrs old.
Mine too.
If we did sign him, though. I'd probably hurt myself celebrating, that our office is going all in on scoring more points.

Ram65

Legend
Agree to disagree.

I agree. He at least knows the basis of the Rams offensive system. There will be some new plays and variations of existing plays that BQ should be able to handle. He is a good blocker with size at WR. The Rams will be hard pressed to find 3 new WRs and even harder to find 4. They also need an other TE. I'm not big fan of his but, one last long look at BQ makes sense to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is probably going to take $16M or so a year to sign him....I don't really want to spend that much on any WR.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It is probably going to take $16M or so a year to sign him....I don't really want to spend that much on any WR.
Me either, then there's also this phenomenon of big name WR's going to new teams and having their production drop off the face of the Earth.
It seems like there are very few who actually sign big FA deals and continue their big production.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would think the only way Quick is back with the Rams is on a pretty low end deal. Depending on what we do in the draft and in FA, it could be worth bringing him back. I really think losing Bradford hurt Quick's progress and then the injury killed it. Pretty hard to say what will happen with him. I suppose like @CGI_Ram I'm very reluctant to give up on any of our guys until they are no longer with our team.