Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
No, not a necessarily a type. Just similar to the starter. I agree, Hill would/should look better with wrs he's thrown to the most in practice. He didn't perform poorly. I just don't think power running with play-action passes works as well when the QB doesn't push the ball downfield. What happens if we fall behind, and play action isn't working, when the QB must take his drop and make a throw? Even the Bailey pass was underthrown, Bailey made a great adjustment to catch it.
I also think Freeman & Sanchez were good enough, but the circumstances forced them to move on....
Josh Freeman is a head case, I'd sooner have Austin Davis, Sanchez maybe reclaimable .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
uh-oh new font....upgrade....yeah, just a little disappointed Coach...He does know where the outlets are, he can hit the crossers in stride, and he seems to have the pocket presence needed to get in the endzone. I just think with guys like Josh Freeman out there, dare I say Vince Young...LaMarcus Russell..OK, OK I'm not crazy, not those last 2. LOL But a backup that started somewhere...Not a career backup that started because someone got hurt. Hell, we shoulda got Mark Sanchez....serious. Be able to use the weapons. Just like the starter. Britt & Quick are deep outs, digs types...Seems like the offense kinda picked up when they got on the field together...It is game one...but it was telling....

Josh Freeman? No way. The biggest thing a backup QB provides is guidance for younger QBs in the locker-room. Hill offers that. He offers stability and reliability. Josh Freeman was known for not showing up for meetings and having a crap work ethic when he was a starter. No way I want him as my backup. Especially after his effort last year with Minnesota. There were fans having to avoid getting hit by all the balls he was airmailing into the stands in that awful performance. Guy is done.

Hill is a good veteran backup. Can manage the game and is a good guy to have around for Sam and Gilbert.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We will just have to agree to disagree. You say he didn't push the ball downfield, but the ball to Cook on the skinny post wasn't A CHECK DOWN. And the pass to Bailey was NOT underthrown. It was put where he was the only one who would catch it. If Hill had put that ball in the back corner, it was too well covered to be completed.

People complain ALL THE TIME, that Bradford doesn't use the back shoulder thrown enough. That was, IMO a perfect example.

Oh yea, the Bailey throw was a great back-shoulder throw.

reggae

The idea that anyone has garnered enough information after the first preseason game. To formulate an opinion about anything is a concept beyond my grasp.
It is disappointing to me that he showed a lack of effort on his ONE target and I did not like his head hanging going back to the huddle. If that is his effort/reaction during a HOME preseason game then he's done, through, finished!

he best pick it up next week or one of the only intelligent comments Holt made last night WILL ring true; "Quick and Givens, you watching what these other guys are doing?"

That said, with a guy like Quick who obviously has so little confidence, I blame Schotty/Fisher for not coming back to this kid and getting him an easy catch, if for no other reason than to build his confidence up during the week ahead.

Goodness does it appear we are going to miss Bailey big time!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
There is no way I would want an inaccurate, lazy, or foolish QB like Freeman or Russell or Young on this team. Sanchez maybe, but Hill's smarter, calmer, and probably cheaper than Captain Butt Fumble. I think we've got the best guy for the job here.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i couldn't believe faulk and holt were saying he should have made the play for the ball. that he has to make plays like that. what play? the ball wasn't even in the same zip code as him.

man i was disappointed in those two guy's commentary. it was awful.

RamWoodie

Legend
All I can say is "OHHH BROTHER". One throw to Quick (that was off target)...and the sky is falling??? :eek:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
. Especially after his effort last year with Minnesota. There were fans having to avoid getting hit by all the balls he was airmailing into the stands in that awful performance. Guy is done.
Not sure about work ethic, but that game he played in was, in many expert opinions, way too soon...So, If the back-up must be forced to play, you're fine with basically a QB coach getting on the field and leading the team. OK....
http://www.nfl.com/player/joshfreeman/79557/careerstats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FreeJo00.htm

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure about work ethic, but that game he played in was, in many expert opinions, way too soon...So, If the back-up must be forced to play, you're fine with basically a QB coach getting on the field and leading the team. OK....
http://www.nfl.com/player/joshfreeman/79557/careerstats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FreeJo00.htm

Too soon or not, he couldn't hit the broadside of the Pacific Ocean with the way he was throwing in that game.

If the backup must be forced to play, I'll take the guy with the higher career QB rating (Shaun Hill), that is a positive locker-room influence (Shaun Hill), with the ability to mentor our younger QBs and players (Shaun Hill), and understanding of what his role is (Shaun Hill).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the backup must be forced to play, I'll take the guy with the higher career QB rating (Shaun Hill), that is a positive locker-room influence (Shaun Hill), with the ability to mentor our younger QBs and players (Shaun Hill), and understanding of what his role is (Shaun Hill).
Hill's last year of significant action was in 2010. Freeman threw for 4000+ yards in 16 games in 2012.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hill's last year of significant action was in 2010. Freeman threw for 4000+ yards in 16 games in 2012.

Hill had a 157.9 QB Rating in 2012. And he wasn't cut by his team in 2013 and then again by another team in 2014.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I think the one throw to Brian Quick was Hill's worst of the night. I don't think he had any chance of bringing that in, though had he gotten off the jam better, he would have. Overall, Hill played really well. Led the offense to two touchdowns and had a couple of very nice throws, including one to Jared Cook that set up the first touchdown.

If people want to find something to be angry about, be mad at Stedman Bailey for getting himself suspended for the first four games of the season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It is disappointing to me that he showed a lack of effort on his ONE target and I did not like his head hanging going back to the huddle. If that is his effort/reaction during a HOME preseason game then he's done, through, finished!

he best pick it up next week or one of the only intelligent comments Holt made last night WILL ring true; "Quick and Givens, you watching what these other guys are doing?"

That said, with a guy like Quick who obviously has so little confidence, I blame Schotty/Fisher for not coming back to this kid and getting him an easy catch, if for no other reason than to build his confidence up during the week ahead.

Goodness does it appear we are going to miss Bailey big time!

Yeah Watkins probably would have caught that pass:sneaky:

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Watkins probably would have caught that pass:sneaky:

Probably?

Friend he would have gotten off the press like a real wr and he would have been 5 yards further down field so yeah he would have caught it.

reggae

Yeah, those 3 catces for 21 yards are proof positive he makes that play.

cracengl

Rookie
WOW!!!! tough crowd. He had ZERO chance to make a play on a ball that was 5 yards overthrown.

I was actually surprised to see him even playing, as he obviously still isn't 100% from the back tightness. I haven't watched the game yet on tv, but I am guessing they didn't show the part where both Fisher and Reggie (Head Trainer) were talking to him on the field during a timeout, and told him he as done for the night. He seemed to be lobbying to stay in the game, to no avail..

I guess the "skeptical crowd" only see what they want to see, and unless he lights up the stat sheet it won't ever be good enough. I guess the Kenny Britt experiment is a bust too, he didn't have a single ball thrown to him, so we should just cut our losses, and go with guys like Emory Blake cuz he was awesome last night.
I was confused after the play when Torry made the comment about not locating and made it seem like he had a shot. I remember thinking that if Holt said he did, then he must know something I don't, because it looked over thrown.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I was confused after the play when Torry made the comment about not locating and made it seem like he had a shot. I remember thinking that if Holt said he did, then he must know something I don't, because it looked over thrown.

Torry has the attitude that any ball thrown in the direction of a WR should be caught. He was a HOF caliber WR, and HE wouldn't have caught that ball. Sometimes I think both he and Marshall tend to be over critical in their comments, because they just want to make it sound like they aren't homers.

I also think they have a difficult time realizing that MOST players can't make the same plays they did.