Brian Allen Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Center relates strongly to QB. I think that's one thing that is commonly overlooked when the position is discussed.

IF you have an inexperienced QB then a Center who can make great line calls is worth his weight in gold. We saw that with Sullivan in the early McVay years when Goff was running the offense. Goff was not ready to run all that stuff at the line. So Sullivan had enormous impact even though his best years were in his rear view. And if you know you will be drafting a QB and running a young one in coming years then having a Center hit his peak during that moment the young QB takes over would of course be immensely valuable.

So using the Rams as an example here if you were planning on going away from Stafford in let's say 2025, and you're thinking of taking a QB this year in the draft and expecting him to take over after a redshirt year (or simply taking one next year in the draft), then you will prioritize the position more.

IF on the other hand you have a seasoned vet who has a grasp of those line calls and pre-snap read mastery in general, as Stafford does have, then Center quality is much less important. You just need a guy who can hold up well enough physically in the middle, which is easy to accomplish if your guards are strong. Which by extension means that Guard is more important that Center, in this case RG since it is potentially an area of need depending on Dotson.

No idea what they're thinking with QB. I can guess that they envision Stafford for two more seasons. But they may want to be ready for a younger signal caller at some point, and may be ready to take a guy like Penix or Nix or whoever else they might prefer. If that is the case then we're probably looking at two picks that I'd rather have used on defense used on offense. Which would annoy me greatly. But it would be a QB and a Center in those first three rounds if that were the case. The Center would then need to be of decent quality mentally and project to being able to at least help out with the calls.
Great point about Sullivan helping Goff early.

And center does relate strongly to QB play but guard is far more important to keeping pressure up the middle from disrupting QB play.

Here's an interesting thought experiment. Who was more valuable to their QB, to their team? Roger Saffold or John Sullivan the years they played together.

I will say, if we get a dominate center, forget line calls, it should allow us to do some fun things schematically offensively when it comes to the screen and run game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Center relates strongly to QB. I think that's one thing that is commonly overlooked when the position is discussed.

IF you have an inexperienced QB then a Center who can make great line calls is worth his weight in gold. We saw that with Sullivan in the early McVay years when Goff was running the offense. Goff was not ready to run all that stuff at the line. So Sullivan had enormous impact even though his best years were in his rear view. And if you know you will be drafting a QB and running a young one in coming years then having a Center hit his peak during that moment the young QB takes over would of course be immensely valuable.

So using the Rams as an example here if you were planning on going away from Stafford in let's say 2025, and you're thinking of taking a QB this year in the draft and expecting him to take over after a redshirt year (or simply taking one next year in the draft), then you will prioritize the position more.

IF on the other hand you have a seasoned vet who has a grasp of those line calls and pre-snap read mastery in general, as Stafford does have, then Center quality is much less important. You just need a guy who can hold up well enough physically in the middle, which is easy to accomplish if your guards are strong. Which by extension means that Guard is more important that Center, in this case RG since it is potentially an area of need depending on Dotson.

No idea what they're thinking with QB. I can guess that they envision Stafford for two more seasons. But they may want to be ready for a younger signal caller at some point, and may be ready to take a guy like Penix or Nix or whoever else they might prefer. If that is the case then we're probably looking at two picks that I'd rather have used on defense used on offense. Which would annoy me greatly. But it would be a QB and a Center in those first three rounds if that were the case. The Center would then need to be of decent quality mentally and project to being able to at least help out with the calls.
Hold up, let me get my slide rule for this Center-QB calculation... ~ @Allen2McVay

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrm-rPSCIBw

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Hold up, let me get my slide rule for this Center-QB calculation... ~ @Allen2McVay

A Slide Rule is a hand-operated mechanical calculator consisting of slidable rulers for evaluating mathematical operations such as multiplication, division, exponents, roots, logarithms, and trigonometry.
It is one of the simplest analog computers.

1708635646870.png

I am actually old enough to have used a Slide Rule in high school.

FUCK!!! I am old!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A Slide Rule is a hand-operated mechanical calculator consisting of slidable rulers for evaluating mathematical operations such as multiplication, division, exponents, roots, logarithms, and trigonometry.
It is one of the simplest analog computers.

View attachment 64589

I am actually old enough to have used a Slide Rule in high school.

FUCK!!! I am old!
I have one upstairs as a historical piece. Tell us gramps, how to use it?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Avila is the best LG we've had since Rodger Saffold, why do people want to move him to center? Does it make sense that McVay/Snead picked him in the 2nd round to ultimately be a center?
It’s easier to find a good guard than it is a center. Faster transition for a rookie to play guard also

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53

Jourdan Rodrigue

@JourdanRodrigue
·
33m

Sean McVay indicated today that the Rams are trying to get something done with starting C Coleman Shelton. Shelton has the option of voiding the final year of his deal and becoming a free agent this spring. McVay: “We would really like to get him back. I would imagine that is

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The slide rule engineer generation kicked serious ass. We had aircraft early in my career that had been designed in the early 60s that significantly outlived the same versions of aircraft designed much later, due to those old bastards adding room for error in critical components like wing spars. Those later aircraft were cheaper to build but boy did they hit the boneyard quicker. :laugh3:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The slide rule engineer generation kicked serious ass. We had aircraft early in my career that had been designed in the early 60s that significantly outlived the same versions of aircraft designed much later, due to those old bastards adding room for error in critical components like wing spars. Those later aircraft were cheaper to build but boy did they hit the boneyard quicker. :laugh3:
Dump the F-18 for the F-4! ~ Merlin

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jourdan Rodrigue
@JourdanRodrigue
·
33m

Sean McVay indicated today that the Rams are trying to get something done with starting C Coleman Shelton. Shelton has the option of voiding the final year of his deal and becoming a free agent this spring. McVay: “We would really like to get him back. I would imagine that is
They sure gave Shelton a ton of leverage by cutting Allen before signing him

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Maybe the Rams are confident in retaining Shelton. Maybe that's why McVay mentioned him today.

@PARAM says I need to be more optimistic ... I'm trying PA!!!
Optimism isn't for everyone though. We need pessimists to remind us how upset we aren't. :thinking:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jourdan Rodrigue
@JourdanRodrigue
·
33m

No more JPJ

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He voids that year and becomes a free agent we don't have a center on the roster. That's leverage.
"We'll give the guy you beat out for the job his spot back." I don't think Shelton's agent is that gullible.. To me anyways. IDK.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"We'll give the guy you beat out for the job his spot back." I don't think Shelton's agent is that gullible.
You're saying the Rams will give Allen the job back after they just cut him? I'm confused. The Rams just cut the only other center on the roster. That gives Shelton leverage in negotiations. His play and leadership for them gives him leverage. Allen being gone gives him leverage.