Brandin Cooks Traded to Houston Texans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The extra pick might give them the luxury of drafting a guy like Jeremy Chinn.

Could play the hybrid safety/LB role. He looks like a beast on his film. Just looks like a baller.

Never would consider a safety, but after looking at his film... I got another man crush.

View: https://youtu.be/bIeFrCZ1_6U

Agreed Philly and I'm way higher on Chinn than a lot of the mocks. Usually the gifted LOS type safeties go round 2-ish but he's on a whole different level, he's got round 1 upside and might be one of the best players in this draft a few years from now. The guy had a great Senior Bowl week (he did well at both CB and S) so I'm confident he's gone before we pick, however if he were on the board I'm sure he's a top option.

If we took him he'd get a ton of snaps as a nickelbacker type role as a rook but he's got the type of ability where he could probably play multiple positions. There's going to be a lot of teams who could use him. I could even see him settling in as a 4-3 WILL type since he's excellent at tackling in space and chasing the play.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
OL value will be there between 90-140. That's why I see them moving down with one of those 2's to get an extra early 4th.

That should get them a solid G prospect in the 4th and maybe a C like Hennessy at the end of round 3 or a LT prospect like Heck.

Maybe if they move Havenstein then they go get a OT earlier.

I think we have enough "prospects," developmental potential, depth on OL. We need a starter imo. I realize there's also the school of thought you end up "hitting" from a bigger pool of jags, but I feel like more developmental potential might be a waste of our draft capital right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
:ROFLMAO:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed Philly and I'm way higher on Chinn than a lot of the mocks. Usually the gifted LOS type safeties go round 2-ish but he's on a whole different level, he's got round 1 upside and might be one of the best players in this draft a few years from now. The guy had a great Senior Bowl week (he did well at both CB and S) so I'm confident he's gone before we pick, however if he were on the board I'm sure he's a top option.

If we took him he'd get a ton of snaps as a nickelbacker type role as a rook but he's got the type of ability where he could probably play multiple positions. There's going to be a lot of teams who could use him. I could even see him settling in as a 4-3 WILL type since he's excellent at tackling in space and chasing the play.

I was underwhelmed by him. Super athletic, but he didn't really stand out against FCS competition in the way I thought he should have when watching him.

I think we have enough "prospects," developmental potential, depth on OL. We need a starter imo. I realize there's also the school of thought you end up "hitting" from a bigger pool of jags, but I feel like more developmental potential might be a waste of our draft capital right now.

Trying to find a guaranteed rookie starter on the OL outside of the top 40 picks isn't an easy thing to do. We'll likely have to settle for a prospect. But there are some prospects who might end up as rookie starters if things break right.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Anyone else a fan of Pittman? I saw that kid catch everything thrown his way at USC. And we could definitely use a big body target in the RZ, something cooks never gave us.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I would have to agree if Cooks was stronger at fighting for the ball he could have caught the first pass for a TD. Goff still hung that one up a little late and a little weak. i’d say Cooks had little chance of fighting thru the pass interference on the second pass in question.
I agree with you. Can you imagine if Reynolds was in his place.... what might have been?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Trying to find a guaranteed rookie starter on the OL outside of the top 40 picks isn't an easy thing to do. We'll likely have to settle for a prospect. But there are some prospects who might end up as rookie starters if things break right.

I think it would require trading into the 40. Even then it usually takes time for rookie OL to develop, unfortunately. I just wish we hadn't dug this hole....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you. Can you imagine if Reynolds was in his place.... what might have been?

Reynolds has literally no fight in his contested catching ability inside the endzone. He's one of the worst I've ever seen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else a fan of Pittman? I saw that kid catch everything thrown his way at USC. And we could definitely use a big body target in the RZ, something cooks never gave us.

I'm not sold he can run our route tree effectively.

I think it would require trading into the 40. Even then it usually takes time for rookie OL to develop, unfortunately. I just wish we hadn't dug this hole....

It's worth keeping in mind that because of the issues last year, we now have a lot of OLs with starting experience. Blythe played solid football at C down the stretch. If Corbett or Evans can step up at OG and Hav returns to form, we might just have a solid OL without any picks. And if we add a talented interior OL like Biadasz, Hennessy, Harris, Hunt, etc. Maybe we have something better. We'll see what our coaching can do.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You will not draft a starter at 52 or 57, and you need your picks instead of using them to move up.

You just have to develop the young guys you have. I mean you draft a guy this year and he struggles a little as a rookie, do you then draft over him next year?

Evans & Edwards are keepers in my view. Showed great improvement by end of year and should only get better.

Whitworth starts as will Blythe initially. Corbett and Havenstein have to step up. Simple as that.

So the only "starter" they might find is a center @ 52 and with a shortened offseason I doubt any rookie OL steps in and starts day one.

So sure add quality depth that can push Blythe & Corbett and or a LT prospect who can compete with Noteboom for Whitworth's job next year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was one thing Sammy Watkins was good at. red zone strong handed target.

he was so good throughout the regular season, until they really needed him in the 4th qtr of the playoff game against the falcons.

he dropped a td catch on 4th down. he was interfered with but still, the ball hit him in the hands and he had a legit chance to catch it. then he dropped that long bomb that would have been a td but the game was over then so it didn't hurt as bad as the first drop.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I have been wanting to see more of Reynolds. I was hoping the Rams could figure a way to lose cooks and not trade Woods as has been suggested in several mocks I've seen.

I really liked the pick when the Rams made it. I really liked the Higbee pick when the Rams made it. Both were guys I had actually mocked to the Rams. Higbee finally started getting the ball. Reynolds will now.
Any kind of run game and the passing attack will be deadly, maybe the best so far under McV.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
I understand the reasoning for it. Though not the timing (they kept him long enough to add yet another 4 million dollars in dead money, meaning there's another 20 million in dead money for getting rid of him. Our cap management is a contender for worst in the league). Doesn't change the fact that this team has been completely gutted from just 2 years ago, and will likely be living in 3rd place in the division for the forseeable future.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the reasoning for it. Though not the timing (they kept him long enough to add yet another 4 million dollars in dead money,

Was there an offer for him prior to the payment of $4 million? The Texans were in the midst of a bunch of dumb moves, and I don't think they were willing initially to do that - it's only after they didn't get whom they wanted that they likely were willing to give a 2nd for Cooks, without trading a crappy contract back to the Rams.

The Rams got a guy who could easily have a career ending concussion next season. Instead, they get a 2nd rounder, to start rebuilding team depth. Maybe they get a WR, in allegedly the deepest WR class ever. Maybe they get an OL. Maybe a nice defensive player - some will be falling thanks to the deep WR class. Maybe a RB without a problematic knee.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bummer to see Cooks go, but speed guys can be grabbed, and I'm excited to see Reynolds in a bigger role, I think he's earned it.

If nothing else, having Josh Reynolds get a bigger role will hopefully showcase his talents, and it the Rams don't sign him, he could get them a higher comp pick it he impresses other tewms.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Texans are nuts. They could get a healthy receiver in round 2, that may or may not be as good as Cooks, but the odds are will last much longer in the league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend