Boylhart thinks Mosley for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't see LB as that big of a factor for improving the Rams D. And where is he going to play Dunbar's spot. I don't a gree that there is a LB out there that is going to stay in on most 3rd down situations and run with a slot guy. JL plays the pass well Tree is not coming out Armstrong is a converted SS isn't he?

As for the TJ pick I was a proponent, thought USC was so screwed up his senior year they did know what they were doing his JR year showed more of what he could do. Ans with Fisher's ties there I was hoping he would be high on their board.

Have to wait and see what they are able to do in FA if they can fix the line it puts less emphasis on needs in the draft I still thin O Line and DB are the two most needy groups this off season, way before LB

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be happy with Mosley at #13. The Rams need to groom a guy to take over for JL in event of injury or just for the future. They need another guy who can call the plays. The Rams were talking to Borland at the Sr. Bowl. They want a Smart LBer that can run the show. Borland and Van Noy could be second round targets if things don't pan out with Mosley in round 1. I also read somewhere that the Rams were scouting Mosley during the season.

4/3 defenses with good linebackers can shut you down. PSU did it for years. They never recruited good CBs and Safeties but went hard for LBers and DTs. Take away the run was the idea. But you still need good coverage with all the passing these days.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Agree about him playing under control, but Greg Williams is going to love him, we have to know that. It's all going to depend on how they feel at all of the other positions. If Dunbar is gone, I'd agree we could use another potential starter at LB. IMO, we need a big corner/safety versatile player.

Offensive line, as a unit, needs to be this drafts focus, IMO. Being so young is a little bit of a hindrance, because nobody knows what we really have, not us, not even the coaches regarding some of the players, but they know more than us, I hope, lol. Linebackers and safeties are always drafted, because they are usually well suited for special teams.
I agree ... and there is another LB I like in the mid rd's ... .Shayne Skov - Stanford. He is an every down player and just has that "intensity" about him. He reminds me of why I liked Kiko Alonso so much last yr.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like Martavis Bryant.

And I'd be meh on a Mosley pick. Means one of him, Laurinaitis or Ogletree is a 2 down player. I'd rather draft Khalil Mack if we're going LB high.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I would be happy with Mosley at #13. The Rams need to groom a guy to take over for JL in event of injury or just for the future. They need another guy who can call the plays. The Rams were talking to Borland at the Sr. Bowl. They want a Smart LBer that can run the show. Borland and Van Noy could be second round targets if things don't pan out with Mosley in round 1. I also read somewhere that the Rams were scouting Mosley during the season.

4/3 defenses with good linebackers can shut you down. PSU did it for years. They never recruited good CBs and Safeties but went hard for LBers and DTs. Take away the run was the idea. But you still need good coverage with all the passing these days.
Borland is another ... not the ideal size ... but man does he play big .... and understands how to do just about everything.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Borland is another ... not the ideal size ... but man does he play big .... and understands how to do just about everything.

I like Borland a lot. Just a natural football player.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

And I'd be meh on a Mosley pick. Means one of him, Laurinaitis or Ogletree is a 2 down player. I'd rather draft Khalil Mack if we're going LB high.
I agree ... Macvk is more of an all round player. I guess we just don't know what it is that they see or judge a player by ... and I'm not even sure if they are high on Mosely ... Boylhart could have just been thinking out loud?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read on Ramstalk that this year the SLB was in on 60% of the defensive snaps. That is same as Tavon Austin was in on offense, I believe. If the LBers are good enough or better than the secondary then why not keep them in more often? Especially if you are going to do a lot of blitzing on third down. A guy like Kahlil Mack would be great for blitzing the QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree ... Macvk is more of an all round player. I guess we just don't know what it is that they see or judge a player by ... and I'm not even sure if they are high on Mosely ... Boylhart could have just been thinking out loud?

Agreed. Mack can stop the run and drop in coverage as a 2 down LB then slide down to DE on pass rush downs. Dude is freaky strong for a LB. Aren't many LBs that can put OTs and OGs on skates with their power.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read on Ramstalk that this year the SLB was in on 60% of the defensive snaps. That is same as Tavon Austin was in on offense, I believe. If the LBers are good enough or better than the secondary then why not keep them in more often? Especially if you are going to do a lot of blitzing on third down. A guy like Kahlil Mack would be great for blitzing the QB.

The SLB was on the field that often because our slot CB, Finnegan, went on IR and we were left with no CB depth. Which is part of the reason why we used those horrendous zones. We lacked the CBs to man up with 3 and 4 WR sets.

But agree with you on Mack.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't know anything about Bryant, but I'm interested now that you don't like him and Drew does. My 2 favorite WR evaluators at cross purposes.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pryor is MY #1 Safety right now. He is the type who can play that "interchangeable" role Fisher/GW like. Another is the kid from WSU ... Deone Bucannon
I've been watching Pryor too I think he could fit perfectly with McDonald and give them a little more length back there. I think Bailey ( I know another SC guy) could be a decent guy later in the draft too.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I've been watching Pryor too I think he could fit perfectly with McDonald and give them a little more length back there. I think Bailey ( I know another SC guy) could be a decent guy later in the draft too.
yeah ... Bailey is #3 on my list I think he and Bucannon will go somewhere in the 2nd-early 3rd rd. area. I know everyone likes HaHa Clinton-Dix ... but he truly IS a FS. And fisher/GW like those guys back there who can play either ... and they like thumpers.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
yeah ... Bailey is #3 on my list I think he and Bucannon will go somewhere in the 2nd-early 3rd rd. area. I know everyone likes HaHa Clinton-Dix ... but he truly IS a FS. And fisher/GW like those guys back there who can play either ... and they like thumpers.

I just never saw it with Dix, he was tentative and seemed to be fine playing center field and letting things come to him. I want more aggression and intelligence. Bailey already completed his degree after only his Jr year. That shows something else to me.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I just never saw it with Dix, he was tentative and seemed to be fine playing center field and letting things come to him. I want more aggression and intelligence. Bailey already completed his degree after only his Jr year. That shows something else to me.
I'm wit ya...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting stuff. As a Pacific Conference guy like Doc, I think we saw TJ a bit more than a lot of posters. Al and I were constantly having arguments about his coverage skills. I kept saying to look at the way he played his junior year - not his senior year. He was asked to play somewhat of a hybrid LB/safety role in that defense as a senior. Y'know... the defense that sucked ass. He may not be the best cover safety but it's hardly a weakness - especially when you consider his football smarts and lineage.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
It's too bad there isn't an all-world safety we could take. That is D's biggest need. Now, that said, some of the best FS are late-1st or 2nd rounders. Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins are the best in our generation . . . .so, you don't have to spend a top 10 pick to get one. The key is knowing who has that kind of ability and the smarts and the drive and desire to be great. Yeah. You need some size, our FS has guys, but he's a flea. Looks even smaller than his listed size. They say he's 183 pounds . . . .maybe.

We need a guys over around a real 6-feet maybe and inch taller if possible and 205-215 pounds and the brain of Dawkins and Reed and their heart and desire, too. That's what this defense needs MORE than a LBer to replace Dunbar.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree. His record on actual slotting isn't the best ...(well who's really is?) but he does seem to nail a players strengths, weaknesses and red flag situations. Curious if he does much of trying to figure who a team likes or who might fit-where?
He did tell me that he doesn't think Fisher will draft Watkins and that there are better fits for the Rams. So he does think about it.

I'm think he may be right. I think they are gonna take an OT and a defensive player in the first round.