Boylhart thinks Mosley for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Here's a note I just got from Drew Boyhart.
A WR that I really like and wont be selected until the 2nd or 3rd round is Clemson Martavis Bryant. I also like LSU Odell Beckham. Both these kids are tough and can make catches all over the field and make the big play.

I doubt Fisher will pick a WR in the 1st. One of those two (Bryant or Odell) should be sitting in the 2nd round. There are very good OT’s in this draft. I just finished doing a profile on the RT from Tennessee who I think is better than the LT from Tennessee (Richardson) and is being over looked big time because he played RT only. His name is Ja’Wuan James. No one is talking about him so I suspect he is another player who might be picked in the 2nd round.
I think Jeff will want the LB C J Mosley from Alabama but I don’t think he wants to draft him at #2. If he can trade back and stay in front of the Bills who pick at #9, I think he will do that and draft Mosley. With Ogletree and Mosley on the field you will finally have the speed you need to compete and cover on third downs.
CB Dennard’s speed is fine, that’s draft politics. We will see his speed for sure at the combine. If he runs in the 4.4 or 4.5 area, than no problem if not than he will fall back into the 20’s.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Some good info there. How long have you been in touch with Boylhart?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I appreciate great linebacking play, and was banging the drum hard for a premier pick there last year, but that said if you use a top 10 pick on a guy he better be Lawrence fucking Taylor, right? I mean he'd essentially be an obvious running down guy right? Do you pull Laurinaitis off of nickle defense to have Ogletree and a rookie as your two LBs on the field? Just not sure if there's great value with picking a 'backer in the top 10 as this writer suggests.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some good info there. How long have you been in touch with Boylhart?

Over 10 years now. We kind of got to talking about boxing back then. We are both old boxing fans.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Over 10 years now. We kind of got to talking about boxing back then. We are both old boxing fans.
I've heard you talk about him over the years. What's his track record like relative to the draft?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I've heard you talk about him over the years. What's his track record like relative to the draft?

He been better than most on evaluating WRs. And he had Jason Smith as a 3rd round prospect, blasting the Rams on draft day. I'd say his track record is above average, but different from the norm. That's what I like about his profiles. They are the same as everyone else's.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I appreciate great linebacking play, and was banging the drum hard for a premier pick there last year, but that said if you use a top 10 pick on a guy he better be Lawrence fucking Taylor, right? I mean he'd essentially be an obvious running down guy right? Do you pull Laurinaitis off of nickle defense to have Ogletree and a rookie as your two LBs on the field? Just not sure if there's great value with picking a 'backer in the top 10 as this writer suggests.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

Boylhart is a talent evaluator. He's not focused on how players will get slotted in the actual draft, that's not his bag. So I don't give too much weight to what he says regarding where a guy will get picked. The deal with Boylhart is listening to his evaluation of players. I get worried when he pans a guy we take like Donnie Avery. He killed us on draft day for that pick.

V3

Hall of Fame
Unless they plan on moving him to MLB, I don't want a LB with either of our firsts.

V3

Hall of Fame
Boylhart is a talent evaluator. He's not focused on how players will get slotted in the actual draft, that's not his bag. So I don't give too much weight to what he says regarding where a guy will get picked. The deal with Boylhart is listening to his evaluation of players. I get worried when he pans a guy we take like Donnie Avery. He killed us on draft day for that pick.

So did many fans.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
So did many fans.

How many fans loved the TJ pick?

Boylhart said this before the draft...

TJ McDonald S USC

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

TJ has the size, speed and athleticism to play his position at a very high level for the team that drafts him. He has the size and speed to cover those pass-catching tight ends that have been causing teams problems the last few years. Inside the red zone, he has the instincts, football intelligence and strength to be used in zone coverage on the outside if need be. TJ is very smart and understands down and distance; in third down situations, he is always around the ball. He shows the ability to flip his hips and stay in coverage; he shows no hesitation to make a tackle in the open field. TJ has the instincts, football intelligence, size, speed and overall athleticism to be an excellent safety.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree. His record on actual slotting isn't the best ...(well who's really is?) but he does seem to nail a players strengths, weaknesses and red flag situations. Curious if he does much of trying to figure who a team likes or who might fit-where?

V3

Hall of Fame
How many fans loved the TJ pick?

Boylhart said this before the draft...

I'm not sure what others thought of it but I liked it. The only concern I had with TJ was his coverage skills. He looked like a good SS, to me.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what others thought of it but I liked it. The only concern I had with TJ was his coverage skills. He looked like a good SS, to me.
TJ McD's Jr season and Sr seasons are like night and day. He was pretty decent in coverage in his Jr. season ... I think they did some screwy things with him during his Sr. yr. I remember watching SC games just to watch him ... and on many plays, he was TOTALLY out of screen view at the snap. I kept thinking "he must have been taken out this play.." and then he would flash in late as the pile was forming at the tackle.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Not many were excited about the TJ pick. Greg Cosell hated it. I remember hearing a lot of meh comments regarding the pick.

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, I'm starting to think that too, and even moreso after watching the way Seattle's linebackers dominated in the Superbowl. For a while I thought that linebackers were the least important part of a 4-3 defense, but those guys are actually the ones who set the tempo for the rest of the defense, imo.

Mosley is a great linebacker, definitely more NFL ready than Ogletree though he might not have the raw talent. I don't see why we'd have to take him with our first pick, though, I'd bet heavily on him still being there at 13.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
TJ McD's Jr season and Sr seasons are like night and day. He was pretty decent in coverage in his Jr. season ... I think they did some screwy things with him during his Sr. yr. I remember watching SC games just to watch him ... and on many plays, he was TOTALLY out of screen view at the snap. I kept thinking "he must have been taken out this play.." and then he would flash in late as the pile was forming at the tackle.
I remember reading that they had TJ doing some VERY unconventional things that last year. I saw him play every year. I was happy about the pick, and thought he'd be great against TE's in particular, plus he's a huge hitter, which is sometimes good and bad, you can miss some tackles that way, but I love the intimidation factor.

TJ can cover a lot of ground with his length, long-speed combo, but we didn't get to see a lot of that. Think of all the injuries we had at safety from the jump. Do any of those guys come back? Can Cody Davis become the guy, he has some skills, but needs to improve. One thing that I agree with, is that Jenkins needs a safety to cover his ass at times. I'm not sure what we have in McGee, can he play in space at safety? I think that Pointer, or McLeod can take over for Finnegan at the nickel.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Here is the thing ... if you can get another LB who is ABLE to be play the position equally in both pass and run downs, then you need not have to take him out as often. You don't have to go Nickel on the 3rd and short-med. downs. Picking a "one trick pony" .. a guy who is just good at stuffing the run ... or a guy who can only blitz ... well then his values is not all that great because he will only be good for certain D&D packages. But ... if he can run ... play the run, drop into coverage and blitz .. .well you have yourself a 3 down player. That is JD's knock ... he isn't all that good in coverage, so we are forced to bring in a NCB or another Safety even on 3rd and 3 or more.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Here is the thing ... if you can get another LB who is ABLE to be play the position equally in both pass and run downs, then you need not have to take him out as often. You don't have to go Nickel on the 3rd and short-med. downs. Picking a "one trick pony" .. a guy who is just good at stuffing the run ... or a guy who can only blitz ... well then his values is not all that great because he will only be good for certain D&D packages. But ... if he can run ... play the run, drop into coverage and blitz .. .well you have yourself a 3 down player. That is JD's knock ... he isn't all that good in coverage, so we are forced to bring in a NCB or another Safety even on 3rd and 3 or more.
Sounds like Ray Ray Armstrong, because of his background, if he really works hard this offseason to put on some beef without losing any speed. We know that he will be on the active roster for special teams already.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sounds like Ray Ray Armstrong, because of his background, if he really works hard this offseason to put on some beef without losing any speed. We know that he will be on the active roster for special teams already.

Maybe ... but he has to learn to play under control more too. Love his attitude, but he lets it get the best of him sometimes. I did notice he was getting a few more defensive snaps towards the end of the season.
But we also want to build the entire roster. If we have 4-5 LB's who could start ... .or at any position ... I'm all for it. That is how you build a championship team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Maybe ... but he has to learn to play under control more too. Love his attitude, but he lets it get the best of him sometimes. I did notice he was getting a few more defensive snaps towards the end of the season.
But we also want to build the entire roster. If we have 4-5 LB's who could start ... .or at any position ... I'm all for it. That is how you build a championship team.
Agree about him playing under control, but Greg Williams is going to love him, we have to know that. It's all going to depend on how they feel at all of the other positions. If Dunbar is gone, I'd agree we could use another potential starter at LB. IMO, we need a big corner/safety versatile player.

Offensive line, as a unit, needs to be this drafts focus, IMO. Being so young is a little bit of a hindrance, because nobody knows what we really have, not us, not even the coaches regarding some of the players, but they know more than us, I hope, lol. Linebackers and safeties are always drafted, because they are usually well suited for special teams.