Bosa's mom: 'Wish we pulled an Eli Manning'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't forget firing Marty Schottenheimer after, what, a 14 win season?

I know he is a lot better coach than his son. Nov Turner did ok though.They had some tough losses to the Jets.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He wants all of his bonus money by the end of the season, the Chargers want to pay part before next season, around March. This isn't unusual, having bonuses deferred is normal. It's done in essentially every contract, especially rookie deals. Parts of the guaranteed money are staged from first year to second and so on. This is how the system is set up. Signing bonuses, workout bonuses, reporting bonuses, roster bonuses and so on. The guaranteed money is spread out a bit on every deal.

The offset language is in almost all contracts. Why should a team pay a player that gets cut and signed by another team. Nobody gets to double dip. Nobody. This isn't on the Chargers, he's making demands even top free agents cannot get.

IMO he comes across as a douche, and mommy weighing in on social media with a snarky remark about pulling an Eli doesn't help. The list of players who have had their mother weigh in during contract negotiations is probably a group that is less than impressive.

Frankly if I was a GM I'd have a few concerns about a guy who wants all of the guaranteed money in the first year.

Even if another team asks about a trade he isn't going to change his demands, and I don't think any other team is going to want to set this precedent.

This is not on the Chargers at all.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
From what I was reading it's San Diego that is not going by the "pretty standard" part. No #3 pick since the new cba has been asked or made to do this. That is why Bosa's camp is standing firm. It is a pretty standard and insignificant piece of the contract that SD has decided to take a stand on against standard practice.

They don't want to give him all of his guaranteed money this year. I guess I just don't see the big deal. It is guaranteed, so he will get it. How many million does he need to spend in his first year. I guess maybe if he was to I vest it or put it in the back k he loses interest, but if San Diego agreed to pay that extra money then, it should not be a problem.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
And been to one SB in their entire existence as a franchise even though they have had the likes of Rivers and Breese at QB and Thomlinson, Gates, et al. .

Not sure how SB appearances determines if an organization is a joke or not? Plenty of good teams with good players never made a SB (or won one).

I agree that they do questionable things at times (really questioned letting Schotty go!!!), but every organization makes questionable choices. The fact is that they have, regardless of those choices, continued to be competitive so they must do some things right. Calling them a "joke" of an organization seems very much like throwing stones in a glass house....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure how SB appearances determines if an organization is a joke or not? Plenty of good teams with good players never made a SB (or won one).

I agree that they do questionable things at times (really questioned letting Schotty go!!!), but every organization makes questionable choices. The fact is that they have, regardless of those choices, continued to be competitive so they must do some things right. Calling them a "joke" of an organization seems very much like throwing stones in a glass house....
And this doesn't seem like cherry picking - eh? You talk of comparing the record of the two teams over the past ten years but SBs before that don't matter. I'll give you that SBs don't tell the full story but neither does a ten year span unless you look at a lot of other factors. It would appear your point was really to take aim at the Rams organization.

Alex Spanos has owned the Chargers for over 3 decades. Stan has had controlling interest since 2012. And in that 4 year span I would definitely say that our team is being run better than the Chargers - despite win loss records. Time will tell but it doesn't matter that much.

Calling the Chargers organization rightfully a joke is not exclusive from other teams. I often said this team was being extremely poorly run for most of the Ziggy/Shaw clown show days and virtually the entire time Georgia owned the team. During that time, I also referred to what Spanos was doing with the Chargers as borderline idiotic. So if I'm in a glass house, the blinds are open.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alex Spanos has owned the Chargers for over 3 decades. Stan has had controlling interest since 2012. And in that 4 year span I would definitely say that our team is being run better than the Chargers - despite win loss records. Time will tell but it doesn't matter that much.

Calling the Chargers organization rightfully a joke is not exclusive from other teams. I often said this team was being extremely poorly run for most of the Ziggy/Shaw clown show days and virtually the entire time Georgia owned the team. During that time, I also referred to what Spanos was doing with the Chargers as borderline idiotic. So if I'm in a glass house, the blinds are open.

No doubt. What is funny about organizations as a whole is you can't always see the impact on the field right away. But if you have a strong owner take over, he's going to institute a front office that does things the right way right out the gate, drafts well, etc., and eventually he will get the right coach in place. If Kroenke were to not renew Fish's contract, you can bet that job is THE most desired in the league, regardless of which other job might come open. I'd love to work for a guy who gave Fish his entire 5 years in spite of not getting them to the playoffs, not to mention whose front office has drafted so well.

I still spend time down there in San Diego and have many friends who are diehard Bolts fans. I feel for them man. It's definitely a lot like what we went through under Georgia IMO, so here's hoping the Spanos family cuts bait and sells the team to someone wealthy and dynamic.

Debacled

Starter
He wants all of his bonus money by the end of the season, the Chargers want to pay part before next season, around March. This isn't unusual, having bonuses deferred is normal. It's done in essentially every contract, especially rookie deals. Parts of the guaranteed money are staged from first year to second and so on. This is how the system is set up. Signing bonuses, workout bonuses, reporting bonuses, roster bonuses and so on. The guaranteed money is spread out a bit on every deal.

The offset language is in almost all contracts. Why should a team pay a player that gets cut and signed by another team. Nobody gets to double dip. Nobody. This isn't on the Chargers, he's making demands even top free agents cannot get.

IMO he comes across as a douche, and mommy weighing in on social media with a snarky remark about pulling an Eli doesn't help. The list of players who have had their mother weigh in during contract negotiations is probably a group that is less than impressive.

Frankly if I was a GM I'd have a few concerns about a guy who wants all of the guaranteed money in the first year.

Even if another team asks about a trade he isn't going to change his demands, and I don't think any other team is going to want to set this precedent.

This is not on the Chargers at all.

Wrong wrong, and erm....wrong.

The hold up with the contract is the Chargers are trying to be cheap on the ass end of the contract. They don't want to guarantee paying him anything if they cut him and he signs with somebody else. The CHARGERS are trying to set a new precedent here, not Bosa. Bosa's agent has him sticking with his guns going for the same guarantees that every other pick in his slot since the rookie scale was introduced has received. You can bet if he does cave the NFLPA will be all over him for it.

Essentially he wants his money guaranteed if he gets cut (as every other top 5 pick has been given), and the Chargers want to NOT pay him if he gets cut and signs elsewhere. It is absolutely ridiculous the Chargers are risking loasing a 1st round top 3 overall pick over having to cut a check which will amount to essentially 1 vets minimum if they end up cutting the guy at some point. Spanos strikes me as the type of guy to tip 3 cents to hit an even number on a 100 dollar bill when he goes out to dinner.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wrong wrong, and erm....wrong.

The hold up with the contract is the Chargers are trying to be cheap on the ass end of the contract. They don't want to guarantee paying him anything if they cut him and he signs with somebody else. The CHARGERS are trying to set a new precedent here, not Bosa. Bosa's agent has him sticking with his guns going for the same guarantees that every other pick in his slot since the rookie scale was introduced has received. You can bet if he does cave the NFLPA will be all over him for it.

Essentially he wants his money guaranteed if he gets cut (as every other top 5 pick has been given), and the Chargers want to NOT pay him if he gets cut and signs elsewhere. It is absolutely ridiculous the Chargers are risking loasing a 1st round top 3 overall pick over having to cut a check which will amount to essentially 1 vets minimum if they end up cutting the guy at some point. Spanos strikes me as the type of guy to tip 3 cents to hit an even number on a 100 dollar bill when he goes out to dinner.

What I read was that he wants the Chargers to pay him on the entire deal, which would include an option year, if he gets cut whether he signs somewhere or not. I don't know of any player that has that language in their contract, though I don't know much about everyone's contracts the author of the article I read said that his agent is asking for that and all of his bonus money to be paid by the end of the season while the Chargers want to pay some during the season and some in March. That's not worth holding out for and a case can be made that it's sill by the Chargers to make him wait two more months.

In the same article the guy said one or the other is normal but not both.

However I don't know if any player got cut and collected a salary for the seasons on their contract whether they signed somewhere or not. I can see them keeping the guaranteed money but not pulling salary too and what I read sounds like he wants that.