Bosa's mom: 'Wish we pulled an Eli Manning'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
As I understand it - Bosa isn't asking for anything unusual - he is asking for his slot money and the same offset language that the #3 pick has gotten every year in the new CBA. It's the Chargers who are drawing the line in the sand here and trying to change the status quo of rookie contracts.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, Bosa offered to take one or the other - but no top 5 pick since the slotting started has given up both. It's common for them to get both. Frankly, I don't understand the Chargers in this. If they are so worried about not having an offset, then why would they have taken Bosa in a deep draft?

If I were a free agent, this would make me less likely to want to sign with the Chargers. Some negotiations preserve cap space - but realistically zero is at stake here. This is Spanos hoping to save a little bit of money by deferring payment of the bonus - but it will count the same for the cap. So basically to save a tiny fraction of the value of the franchise, they are hurting the Chargers for 2016 and possibly future years. Showing that Spanos would rather make a little extra money from the cash cow that is a NFL team instead of winning.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
As I understand it - Bosa isn't asking for anything unusual - he is asking for his slot money and the same offset language that the #3 pick has gotten every year in the new CBA. It's the Chargers who are drawing the line in the sand here and trying to change the status quo of rookie contracts.

Thats what I've seen too. You can't blame Bosa's agent in that case for looking out for his clients interests. He's not getting what is standard for that position in the draft. They could have traded down if they didn't want to pay the top 5 draft pick premium. As it is - you don't play if you're not getting paid. Just not worth the risk.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Chargers are just trying to budget themselves for the future.
UH-7379ACC01-TRUCK-LINE-UP-A.jpg

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Thr ultimate conclusion of all of this:

The Chargers will cave - sign him for what they should have offered months ago and get him into camp weeks or months later than they could have.

Or

They really stay stubborn and he does not sign and gets drafted again next year by some other team and the Chargers get nothing for the #3 pick in the draft.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
How any franchise can allow the #3 pick to hold out is beyond me. The slot allocation is supposed to be idiot proof. I guess not.

Because of the slotting the dollars must be in the grand scheme of things must be minimal.

Franchise needs to get this deal done.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't have sympathy for anyone concerned. It takes skill and talent to play the game....a kids game.

Bosa smells like a version of Chris Long. A high motor guy from what I remember reading about him, that will not be able to bully NFL Olineman,as he did College Olinemen, which means to me he was overdrafted....Still, suck it up and play. Prove that you are not draft hype and big paydays are in your future. Right now, he has done nothing. Just shut up and play and become a millionaire.

That is not the way it works dude !!!

Sounds good,but they have the rights for 5 years. Why did they draft him then ??? They could have traded the #3 pick for a least a 1st rd pick in 2016 & 2017. If not get a 2nd & 3rd pk. Now the Chargers get nothing in return ??
Seems sort of stupid on Chargers part of things.

Joey is standing up for the NFL PA !!! I don't know if you knew how much Chris Long & Sam Bradford signed for ??? It was about 1/2 of what Long made 8 years earlier.
You use Chris Long as an example. He signed another contract The Rams are still paying for.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is not the way it works dude !!!

Sounds good,but they have the rights for 5 years. Why did they draft him then ??? They could have traded the #3 pick for a least a 1st rd pick in 2016 & 2017. If not get a 2nd & 3rd pk. Now the Chargers get nothing in return ??
Seems sort of stupid on Chargers part of things.

Joey is standing up for the NFL PA !!! I don't know if you knew how much Chris Long & Sam Bradford signed for ??? It was about 1/2 of what Long made 8 years earlier.
You use Chris Long as an example. He signed another contract The Rams are still paying for.

Of course I do, and that was pure insanity giving rookies those contracts....If what San Diego is doing is wrong/against the last NFLPA contract, then Bosa should be able to file a grievance with his Union and the Company.....Again, this is a kids game thats a privilege to play....no sympathy for the rich boy...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Of course I do, and that was pure insanity giving rookies those contracts....If what San Diego is doing is wrong/against the last NFLPA contract, then Bosa should be able to file a grievance with his Union and the Company.....Again, this is a kids game thats a privilege to play....no sympathy for the rich boy...

Even less sympathy for the much richer owner. Where does it end? Should he sign for less than the 4th pick got? Should he sign whatever they offer him and just be happy for the opportunity? It's his body and mind at risk out there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even less sympathy for the much richer owner. Where does it end? Should he sign for less than the 4th pick got? Should he sign whatever they offer him and just be happy for the opportunity? It's his body and mind at risk out there.
Sure it is....He doesn't have to play football, it's his choice. No sympathy for the owners, as well.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's a multi billion dollar industry where only the best make it. He was picked #3 and expects to get paid what that slot has always been paid.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, I think Dean Spanos is trying to play hardball after he was schooled back in January!
Spanos_Davis_1452663827933_29831392_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a multi billion dollar industry where only the best make it. He was picked #3 and expects to get paid what that slot has always been paid.

I am sure that is his position, all right. I just refuse to get emotionally invested in whether the millionaire is getting screwed by the billionaire....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A source authenticated a Facebook comment left by Cheryl Bosa on Sunday afternoon. In it, she voices frustration at the situation. "It bums me out for him so much," she wrote to a friend. "Wish we pulled an Eli Manning on draft day."

If I am Spanos I'm going to ask the agent if he also reps mommy. This is just fucked up and I can see where he get's his attitude from

If what San Diego is doing is wrong/against the last NFLPA contract, then Bosa should be able to file a grievance with his Union and the Company.....Again, this is a kids game thats a privilege to play....no sympathy for the rich boy...

The Chargers aren't doing anything out of bounds or the NFLPA would be all over this. It's Bosa.

This shit is all slotted, he wants an exception the Chargers don't want to give.

There is something to be said for not setting precendent. And frankly the guy hasn't played a down, he's not calling the shots.

If he was named Goff and was making this demand of the Rams NOT ONE POSTER would support him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm so confused. People say it's the Chargers fault, others say it's bosa's fault. Who's fault is it? How can this happen in this day and age?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah, i understand what the problem is but i didn't know if the chargers were being cheap or bosa wanted more than what the rookies before him received from their teams. From your post it looks like the chargers are being cheap. Why is les saying it's all bosa?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They cost them self going to Super Bowl & Playoffs for holding out Antonio Gates in his prime . Just a joke !!

Don't forget firing Marty Schottenheimer after, what, a 14 win season?