Bosa's mom: 'Wish we pulled an Eli Manning'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/07/chargers-joey-bosa-mom-holdout/#lb-photo2163204

Imagine, for a moment, being Joey Bosa's mother.

Your 21-year-old son is the only NFL draft pick not in training camp. Being an outlier casts a negative light on him; while some fans side with him, others naturally back the team. You believe your son is being dragged through the mud by an organization that has not communicated with Bosa's agent since July 28, that has yet to propose a contract structure resembling recent deals for a No. 3 overall pick. Oh, and by the way, had the home-state Jaguars drafted your son fifth overall instead of the Chargers at No. 3, none of this would be a problem.

Well, she is reacting as parents sometimes do.

A source authenticated a Facebook comment left by Cheryl Bosa on Sunday afternoon. In it, she voices frustration at the situation. "It bums me out for him so much," she wrote to a friend. "Wish we pulled an Eli Manning on draft day."

Manning, of course, shunned the Chargers before the 2004 NFL Draft.

His father Archie said that he didn't want his son to play for the franchise. The team ultimately drafted Manning first overall anyway only to trade him to the Giants in a package featuring quarterback and No. 4 overall pick Philip Rivers.

While that moment in Chargers history remains something of a sore spot for team fans, it is important to note Bosa has not requested a trade and does not plan to do so, a source said Sunday. Cheryl's comments do not necessarily reflect those of her son. And she, just like seemingly all who are invested in the situation, can't help but wish the entire ordeal was avoided in the first place.

Instead, it continues.

The Chargers will hold their seventh practice of training camp Monday at 3 p.m. Bosa won't be there, as the stalemate between the two sides lingers.

Cheryl's comment was first spotted Sunday by a local Chargers blog, SDBoltReport. It quickly gained traction thereafter.

The team declined comment.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My take: Bosa is only hurting himself. It ain't worth a little extra cash to set yourself up to struggle due to not being prepared. I'd sign the contract because unless you are willing to sit out all season all you are doing is hurting the start of your career.

Dude needs to remember his agent works for him too, not vice versa.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the Chargers wanted to win the stadium vote. Strong arming your first round pick in a way that no other team has done since the current slotting started is not a way to convince voters you are out to win.

It's idiotic. And it's not just money for Bosa - players are competitive, and he's not going to give in now that he is riled up.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
If I'm a GM, I'm calling the Chargers up and low balling them for Bosa. Worth a shot. From what I've read this more the Chargers fault.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I'm a GM, I'm calling the Chargers up and low balling them for Bosa. Worth a shot. From what I've read this more the Chargers fault.

Not sure if the rookie allotment for each team will preclude that. If some team trades for him will they get the allotment for his rookie wage scale from San Diego? Not sure about that, need some cap expert types to weigh in on that one. If not, it would mean no team could trade for him this year.

Either way Bosa's gonna lose. He will either hold out for a year and then see himself slide in next year's draft, OR and this is more likely, he will sign late, not be prepared, play like crap, and be booed by the fan base. It's a bad deal all the way around man, so glad I am not a Chargers fan.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Not sure if the rookie allotment for each team will preclude that. If some team trades for him will they get the allotment for his rookie wage scale from San Diego? Not sure about that, need some cap expert types to weigh in on that one. If not, it would mean no team could trade for him this year.

Either way Bosa's gonna lose. He will either hold out for a year and then see himself slide in next year's draft, OR and this is more likely, he will sign late, not be prepared, play like crap, and be booed by the fan base. It's a bad deal all the way around man, so glad I am not a Chargers fan.

Yea that is a good question, I'm not a 100% sure though. I was reading an article saying the Chargers had till August 9th to trade him, or he needs to sign with them by week 10 of the regular season. If he doesn't sign by then he will not play at all and can re-enter the draft next year.

Psycho_X

Legend
From what I read the Chargers are basically being dicks to save a little deferred bonus money this year. Which just seems like a stupid fight to make considering no number 3 pick has ever signed a contract deferring their bonus past their first year and the fact that a #3 pick is going to be with the team through the deferred years almost guaranteed unless their legs literally explode and they become crippled for life. The new cba makes it basically impossible for teams and players to not agree on a contract before camp.... especially a top 10 pick. This is just ridiculous.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The Chargers are a joke of franchise.

Not saying they aren't screwing this up and aren't the ones wrong in this case....

but they have had 2 losing seasons out of the last 10, and made the playoffs 5 of the last 10 years.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Dean Spanos has to be the cheapest owner in the league.

Can't even afford functioning play clocks in his stadium.

Constant contract issues with high profile players like Vincent Jackson, Quentin Jammer, Merriman, and now Bosa and plenty of other guys I didn't mention.

This is a good look for an organization that hopes to move to L A.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have sympathy for anyone concerned. It takes skill and talent to play the game....a kids game.

Bosa smells like a version of Chris Long. A high motor guy from what I remember reading about him, that will not be able to bully NFL Olineman,as he did College Olinemen, which means to me he was overdrafted....Still, suck it up and play. Prove that you are not draft hype and big paydays are in your future. Right now, he has done nothing. Just shut up and play and become a millionaire.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boss comes from wealth and can afford to sit out. He also is acting like a spoiled rich kid that wants special treatment. Contracts for newly drafted players are pretty standard since the last CBA.

If San Diego needs the cap space then Boss is already, not being a team player. Is he afraid of a steroid suspension in the future and losing some of his money due to it?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's language concerning if he gets cut, and re-signs with another team, they (the Chargers) don't want to pay him. With the slotted salaries for draft picks...Bosa shouldn't worry about off-set language...Play...don't get cut...he's not a guaranteed star in this league. Remember, I'm a measurables guy...No way I'd take him over Kemdichee anyway...I'd have taken Myles Jack.....Or Tunsell

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not saying they aren't screwing this up and aren't the ones wrong in this case....

but they have had 2 losing seasons out of the last 10, and made the playoffs 5 of the last 10 years.
And been to one SB in their entire existence as a franchise even though they have had the likes of Rivers and Breese at QB and Thomlinson, Gates, et al. But at least they went 4-12 last season and fired a coach after going 14-2. Yep... Spanos (dad and son)runs one hell of an operation.

SD is my second favorite team - which is sad - but watching that franchise is just infuriating. Yes - even worse than during the Ziggy/Shaw days - though it was close. We managed to win some despite Georgia and Shaw's mismanagement and so has SD with Spanos.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Chargers are a joke of franchise.

This^ and they never want to pay for a freaking thing...Anyway this is why social media is a joke, you send a relative a comment and some joker takes it and runs with it (hell might have been the actual relative), can't stand it, but I do love getting up to the minute sports information so the Devil dons sports gear.

Psycho_X

Legend
Contracts for newly drafted players are pretty standard since the last CBA.

From what I was reading it's San Diego that is not going by the "pretty standard" part. No #3 pick since the new cba has been asked or made to do this. That is why Bosa's camp is standing firm. It is a pretty standard and insignificant piece of the contract that SD has decided to take a stand on against standard practice.