Boras-WTF???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
Everything about the offense last night was simply atrocious especially considering how much time Boras had to prepare for this game.
  • The Niners were ready for a steady dose of Gurley. So how the 9ers gameplan? Eight in the box and key on Gurley and Austin. How did Boras respond? A steady dose of Gurley with some Austin sprinkled in. Why not keep calling play action and press the ball downfield to loosen up the LOS?? Nope-keep pounding the rock when it was clearly not working.
  • Passing-every pass (other than 3 or so to Britt in the seem that actually worked) was a three yard hook or hitch in the flat. How does any receiver have YAC after they have their back to to defense?
  • The Austin Package? Third year in a row where we have heard about the exotic plays for Austin. I saw nothing but high school level screens and hooks. Where was the jet sweep-the one play that consistently worked last year?
  • Play calling was not to Keenum strength. Revelation-Keenum is short. So why the heck is he standing in the pocket on a 3-5 yard drop? He cant see!! Hence, pick in the middle of the field. He should have been in motion, rolling more often to the right or left to give him passing lanes.
  • Use of Cunningham. What did have 3 touches before the 4th quarter? Bennie is a much better screen option that Gurley. They ran it to Benny 1x.
  • Why isnt Goff ready?? Isnt that the job of the coordinator? They have had the kid for 3 months or so. Why couldnt Boras create a system that plays to Goffs strengths? Could he limit the verbiage if its too overwhelming?
In conclusion, the entire game was called in a stubborn, inflexible manor that demonstrates how the Fisher regime may never understand how to raise an offense out of the bottom 10th of the league. In year 5, now with a young offensive line and one of the best backs in the league, the offense is worse than I have witnessed in the 5 dreck years of the Fisher offense.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree with everything you wrote above. I would add also why the lack of any plays for the slot?

Its an easy and low risk way to keep the LBers honest. Bowman was crashing down on every snap. Why not run Higbee out of the slot or Spruce. Way too many pair formations.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
Goff's talent is beyond the capacity of our coordinators/fisher. Like Austin, they have no idea how to use him.
Should i use blue font here? i think not, unfortunately :cry::cry:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This was a joke and I thought Boras was up to the task, but how much is Fisher handcuffing him too...IMO, Fisher should have hired a bonafide offensive coordinator and given him total autonomy and is the reason that he needs to be fired.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everything about the offense last night was simply atrocious especially considering how much time Boras had to prepare for this game.
  • The Niners were ready for a steady dose of Gurley. So how the 9ers gameplan? Eight in the box and key on Gurley and Austin. How did Boras respond? A steady dose of Gurley with some Austin sprinkled in. Why not keep calling play action and press the ball downfield to loosen up the LOS?? Nope-keep pounding the rock when it was clearly not working.
  • Passing-every pass (other than 3 or so to Britt in the seem that actually worked) was a three yard hook or hitch in the flat. How does any receiver have YAC after they have their back to to defense?
  • The Austin Package? Third year in a row where we have heard about the exotic plays for Austin. I saw nothing but high school level screens and hooks. Where was the jet sweep-the one play that consistently worked last year?
  • Play calling was not to Keenum strength. Revelation-Keenum is short. So why the heck is he standing in the pocket on a 3-5 yard drop? He cant see!! Hence, pick in the middle of the field. He should have been in motion, rolling more often to the right or left to give him passing lanes.
  • Use of Cunningham. What did have 3 touches before the 4th quarter? Bennie is a much better screen option that Gurley. They ran it to Benny 1x.
  • Why isnt Goff ready?? Isnt that the job of the coordinator? They have had the kid for 3 months or so. Why couldnt Boras create a system that plays to Goffs strengths? Could he limit the verbiage if its too overwhelming?
In conclusion, the entire game was called in a stubborn, inflexible manor that demonstrates how the Fisher regime may never understand how to raise an offense out of the bottom 10th of the league. In year 5, now with a young offensive line and one of the best backs in the league, the offense is worse than I have witnessed in the 5 dreck years of the Fisher offense.

None of your questions can be answered logically. Every point you raised is a wtf question as in you can't believe people who spend all day every day scheming for a living can't see what you see. I still can't believe they were facing a stacked box every play and couldn't get one guy in space down the field. How does that even happen?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Goff's talent is beyond the capacity of our coordinators/fisher. Like Austin, they have no idea how to use him.
Should i use blue font here? i think not, unfortunately :cry::cry:
How exactly are you supposed to use Austin? The guy is a receiver. Go get open for fuck sake.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blaming Boras for the offense is like blaming the cashier at the movie theatre for selling a ticket to a lousy show. They have no impact on the outcome

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Common man! You should know by now that it's Fisher. This is his offense. Boras is just the whipping boy. Sure, he calls the plays, but Fisher is the mastermind that created what we are seeing. Remember, last year Boras was the run game coordinator and TE's coach.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
A Jeff Fisher quote:
“When we can’t get a run game going, nothing else falls after that,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “That was a concern.”

His philosophy is that everything MUST be built for run first and then you can open things up and get Tavon loose or hit a tight end and move the chains. But what happens when the other team is stacking the box and you CAN'T run? He seems to shut down after that. No answers. He would never say--open it up---start throwing deeper. I mean--they are already stacking the box and you can't hit longer plays? Either your QB stinks, receivers stink, o-line stinks or you don't have enough of those types of plays in the arsenal to begin with. How much do you even work on that?

Newsflash: You can't always run. Adrian Peterson gets shut down. Todd Gurley can get shut down.

What's the answer for that?

It doesn't seem that they have one.

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...on-rams-poor-offense-in-week-1-this-is-not-us

fancents86

Starter
Not sure how any of you are surprised? Boras has been an OC for 1 season, years ago, at UNLV. There's a reason we have 2 people at the position, and theyre both one and the same.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Boras was never up to task. 2 years of play calling experience more than a decade ago and you tab this guy to turn around a historically bad offense. Terrible Fisher decision looking for continuity. Why the hell do you want continuity after having a historically bad offensive season.

Last edited:

JerseyRam1

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cant blame Fisher. He's the guy with the experience of moving an NFL team. He knows what hes doing:sneaky:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher thought it was still preseason.
I was hoping for preseason thinking at the half. I was screaming "put in Mannion" for the second half. Anyone but Case. Anything to mix it up. Why not? We had nothing to lose.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Don't really disagree with anything you say, but the buck stops with Fisher. He hired Boras, Cignetti before him, and Schottenheimer before that. He's the common denominator in all of these underachieving offenses we've seen since he took over as head coach.

I think your last point about the verbaige is an excellent one, and something that jumped out at me watching Hard Knocks. These playcalls are way too wordy, and it's another reason why I am so partial to the Coryell system, if not the concepts, at least the playcalling methodology.

As far as Goff not being ready after 3 months though, that is ultimately on Fisher and the faith he invested in Keenum. He let Keenum swallow up almost all the reps with the #1's, leaving Goff to play and practice with 2nd stringers or worse. I think that gave Fisher a false sense of security regarding Keenum's ability, while at the same time it stunted Goff's growth and/or made him look less ready than he otherwise might be.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
It starts with Fishers outright REFUSAL to upgrade the WR position. Kenny Britt is a no.5 receiver in a good team and Fisher refuses to lwt him go. Quick is Britt 2.0

The only WR Fisher seems to accumulate are short guys for shirt routes. Spruce, Cooper , Austin. Most teams have ONE guy like this on the team.

There was ZERO plays called worth a crap. NONE down field. Well maybe 3. It's just horrible.

So many mistakes. Goff instead of Wentz. Not trading Keenums to Denver.

Why even trade up for a qb if your going to run an offense like this? My god, pretty sure Mansion could do this crap, and honestly I like Mansion. Put the big guy in the game. He has experience throwing to short little receivers, and he's at least tall.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Forgive the spelling. I'm pisswd and I'm on my phone at work, and my hands are very Gorilla like