Bonsignore: In a refreshing twist, Rams GM Les Snead opens up about team's woes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

oi04js-robinson.jpg

ams tackle Greg Robinson (73) has "been a little slower to develop than we all would have liked. He's got some skills that we can make successful," Rams general manager Les Snead said. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Bonsignore: In a refreshing twist, Rams GM Les Snead opens up about team's woes

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

Near the end of a 45-minute interview with reporters to end one of the toughest 14-day stretches in the new history of the Los Angles Rams, Les Snead, the club’s general manager, glanced toward Rams public relations man Artis Twyman.

Normally in these circumstances, the gesture would serve a very specific purpose.

As in: Hey man, get this wrapped up and get me the heck out of here.

Instead, Snead told Twyman to cool his heels and chill out.

Then he looked back at the reporters and urged them to keep asking away.

After going nearly a full season without officially talking to reporters while suffering through another season gone sideways and his head coach maybe, or maybe not, taking a shot at him while they both clung to whatever remains of the rope on their Rams career, Snead had plenty to say Friday.

And apparently all the time to say it while touching on everything from his relationship with Coach Jeff Fisher, who a source in the Rams front office described to reporter Albert Breer this week as “toxic,” the Rams inability to spring Todd Gurley free, the inevitable process of growing a team with a rookie quarterback to how his kids have taken to Google lately to figure out who else the the Rams could have drafted with the second overall in the 2014 draft .

Instead of the guy they did take: Left tackle Greg Robinson who, to date, has performed anything like anything a second overall pick.

(My) 15-year-old actually wants to get in my business. I (tell him), it doesn’t happen that way,” Snead said laughing. “With that said, we took Greg for a reason, and he’s been a little slower to develop than we all would have liked. He’s got some skills that we can make successful. We now have to go back to the drawing board and go, in our plan for success, where have we gone wrong? Where have we gone right? And keep getting him better. Greg, on the other hand, has got to meet us halfway, too.”

In between all of that, Snead gave his take on his long-term future in Los Angeles, which could hinge on how the Rams finish up over the last four games regardless of the two-year contract extension he signed. In the meantime, he’ll keep plugging away trying to get things right.

“Here’s what … We’re in that microscopic phase,” Snead said. “So, what I’m confident about is, I’m preparing to – We’re in draft meetings. And I’m doing that this week. That was on the schedule. I’m confident we’re playing Atlanta. And I think all of those decisions should and always be put off to the end of the season. So, I always say, that’s my confidence. And my passion is – hey, not where we want to be. And I’ve got a job to do, a role to do, lead a staff to do, to get us where we want to be. And that’s how you have to work in this league. That’s your focus.”

It was, to say the least, a no-holds-barred and frank, 45-minute conversation in which Snead took on all comers.

What it lacked in hard answers – Snead’s future with the Rams is essentially out of his hands, although he obviously hopes to be back – it certainly made up for in candidness.

As in Snead refuting reports that his relationship with Fisher is toxic. But did concede it’s troubling that someone else in the organization interprets it as such, and it’s on Snead and Fisher to fix that.

“I think what we need to work on is what’s been said. What are those frustrations? Why are those frustrations occurring?” he said. “Because what’s been said hasn’t been Jeff and I. It’s been other people within the building. And we have to accept responsibility. But I think the biggest thing is let’s fix those frustrations. And really fix what’s causing those frustrations. So I’m not going to sugarcoat any of that, but I can tell you the relationship is really, really good.”

Or that the Rams absolutely misfired on some personnel decisions and need to dig into why that happened and what they can do moving forward to make sure they minimize those mistakes in order to finally get going offensively.

“What bothers me is we’ve had some good decisions in personnel; we’ve had some not good decisions in personnel. My staff will tell you that is where I lose sleep at night, is on those ones we haven’t done so well on and what can we learn going forward,” he said “That’s how we learn, that’s how we evolve. We’ve got to look at that subset and how do we get better. How do we not repeat, if that’s a mistake, and also look this, because I think we all have to work together when you bring in players, be on the same page. You have a plan for success for each one, so those are the things that bother me is we haven’t got the results we wanted and the decisions that hadn’t gone well for us. How do we improve those?”

The frankness was refreshing, especially after spending the past 12 weeks listening to thinly veiled excuses for the Rams 4-8 record and empty promises to fix problems that linger week after week after week.

Snead, unlike Fisher, is owning his mistakes and laying out ideas and changes to limit them moving forward.

It might not be enough to save his job. Snead, like Fisher, has been on the scene for five years and while they lifted the product from morbid to competitive they haven’t been able to turn the corner from competitive to consistent winner.

He understands that. And no matter what the Rams do down the stretch, it won’t change the fact this has been an unacceptable season.

“You are who you are. Right? We’re 4-8 right now. Now we still have four games left but again however it ends, trust me, we want to go play good every single game and win every one, but no how matter good it is you’ll look at it and go, ‘That’s not where we want to be.’ And what do you gotta do to contend?” Snead said. “And we’ve been competitive, I think, that’s the first thing, probably, been competitive too long a stretch of competitive and that’s probably taking the last two games out. We weren’t competitive there, that’s obvious; the scoreboard said it. But I think we have been competitive, so we just have to go from there.”

It doesn’t make anything about this season all right.

But at least there is some accountability.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Les, he's an affable fellow, but this is a results business and a fans we have not seen enough positive results. In the end both he and Fisher have to be shown the door, Snead has made some very good personnel decisions, however, IMO, they have not been good on the pro player personnel side, Britt & Hayes good free agent signings, but that is about it and allowing Jenkins to get away was just stupid IMHO.

Overall the Los Angeles Rams must go in another direction at General Manager and Head Coach because it is right, it is just and God knows, it is time!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
“Here’s what … We’re in that microscopic phase,” Snead said. “So, what I’m confident about is, I’m preparing to – We’re in draft meetings. And I’m doing that this week. That was on the schedule. I’m confident we’re playing Atlanta. And I think all of those decisions should and always be put off to the end of the season. So, I always say, that’s my confidence. And my passion is – hey, not where we want to be. And I’ve got a job to do, a role to do, lead a staff to do, to get us where we want to be. And that’s how you have to work in this league. That’s your focus.”
Wait.. . . . What?? Lolz. Was that even English?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

It's business as usual, still doing my job to the best of my ability regardless of all the reports and we are preparing for the draft in 2017.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It's business as usual, still doing my job to the best of my ability regardless of all the reports and we are preparing for the draft in 2017.
Thanks for the subtitles, haha.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Les, he's an affable fellow, but this is a results business and a fans we have not seen enough positive results. In the end both he and Fisher have to be shown the door, Snead has made some very good personnel decisions, however, IMO, they have not been good on the pro player personnel side, Britt & Hayes good free agent signings, but that is about it and allowing Jenkins to get away was just stupid IMHO.

Overall the Los Angeles Rams must go in another direction at General Manager and Head Coach because it is right, it is just and God knows, it is time!

As fans we have no idea how much of Les' job is Les and how much is Jeff. Fisher wanted final say on personnel moves. So, if it 's more Fisher, then I hope Les documented it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Snead is arguably the most inarticulate speaker I've ever heard. It's like his brain is two steps ahead of his mouth. But that's not a big deal. It just means he should kinda stay away from the mic when at all possible. If any of us were so inclined, we could put together a book of 'Sneadisms'. That would make for some good library (bathroom) reading.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As fans we have no idea how much of Les' job is Les and how much is Jeff. Fisher wanted final say on personnel moves. So, if it 's more Fisher, then I hope Les documented it.

Good point, however, it does not matter because I was under the impression the Fisher had final say that is why he chose the Rams over the Dolphins, however, other reports have circulated stating otherwise, but I discount them.

Like the report that Snead failed on the Jenkins signing because Fisher went fishing...Seriously you can't make this stuff up...Well, if I wanted to ensure we extended our best cover corner and he was essential to success of my defense, you can bet your rats ass I would not be out fishing in freaking Montana, WTH?

You think Bill Belichick or Mike Tomlin are out fishing? Give me a freaking break, it all falls on Fisher, but when Snead took the job, he knew the Head Coach would have that power and regardless of the outcome both need to go.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Every since Les Snead became the the Rams GM, he's made the drafts exciting because he can and will find a way to make trades in any given round.

Trader Les is never complacent staying put in the draft and most of his trades have been easily on par to what the draft value chart indicates.

I do think Les and his scouting department along with Fisher have made some very questionable and risky project player/upside selections. This issue is what waters down his great creative draft day trade maneuvers.

I have a gut feeling that if Fisher gets released after the season, Trader Les might be kept around for at least 2017 because his scouting department has already done tons of college player evaluations for the 2017 draft.

I'm sure Demoff/Kroenke have contemplated behind closed doors several possibilities of what they may or may not do depending on how these last 4 games play out. Of course retaining the GM could be a deal breaker for some new HC candidates willing to except the job, which in return makes Snead's future just as unpredictable as Fisher's.

_____
CcLTgzgWEAQ-eN4.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-04-04%2Bat%2B12.34.43%2BPM.png

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That would make for some good library (bathroom) reading.

Never was one to want to stay in the bathroom longer than I had to just trying to avoid the stink, but at this point with the product that Snead and Fisher has put on the field the stink is unavoidable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Like the report that Snead failed on the Jenkins signing because Fisher went fishing...Seriously you can't make this stuff up...Well, if I wanted to ensure we extended our best cover corner and he was essential to success of my defense, you can bet your rats ass I would not be out fishing in freaking Montana, WTH?

You think Bill Belichick or Mike Tomlin are out fishing? Give me a freaking break, it all falls on Fisher, but when Snead took the job, he knew the Head Coach would have that power and regardless of the outcome both need to go.
There's just so many things wrong with that 'report' by Keyshawn.

1. If they really wanted to re-sign him, they would have Franchised him instead of Tru - even before Fisher "went fishing".
2. Snead doesn't handle player contracts. Demoff does. Demoff doesn't do contracts without universal support from the other two.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Never was one to want to stay in the bathroom longer than I had to just trying to avoid the stink, but at this point with the product that Snead and Fisher has put on the field the stink is unavoidable.
Yeah, I get it. I'm just trying to add a little levity by picking on m'boy Les.
The RFU-style of posting shit-to-Rams analogies doesn't really accomplish that.

TexasRam

Legend
Hey, that's just... I'm just fully confident that we, my family, everyone has done a great job. And not to take away from our fandom or the confidence we have in our job which right now we all know needs to be better. And that's what I tell my family. We all need to be aware and confident that we have .. Probably never
Met expectations and that's ok. That's why we root every Sunday or on the couch for the same team. We are confident and it's our job. But whatever others are saying that's my fault. In our house we beleive and are confident that we are a great team. The family is working hard and doing really really good. Do we need better results yea. And some family members don't show up as expected but they have potential to be solid family members with confidence. And that is why we watch every Sunday or Thursday coming up, together without missing a beat almost every Sunday.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree! We should fire Head Coach/GM Jeff Fisher. Never forget that he has total roster control!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I keep hearing the word "competitive". To me, competitive is winning more than you're losing. To them it means losing close games. In my eyes, they are not competitive. A lot of losing teams can say they're 'competitive'.

tempests

Hall of Fame
To me, competitive is winning more than you're losing.

I'll agree here. The word as I understand it means to be as good or better than others in the same field. When it comes to playoff appearances, division titles, the Rams have not been competitive.

Ram65

Legend
And my passion is – hey, not where we want to be. And I’ve got a job to do, a role to do, lead a staff to do, to get us where we want to be. And that’s how you have to work in this league. That’s your focus.”

Yep do your job Les. (I wrote that in the other thread. lol) It would be hard to let Les go with all the personnel work he is involved it.

“I think what we need to work on is what’s been said. What are those frustrations? Why are those frustrations occurring?” he said. “Because what’s been said hasn’t been Jeff and I. It’s been other people within the building. And we have to accept responsibility. But I think the biggest thing is let’s fix those frustrations. And really fix what’s causing those frustrations. So I’m not going to sugarcoat any of that, but I can tell you the relationship is really, really good.”

The Snisher regime losing over an extended time period has done to create lot's of tension within the organization. I'm not positive that Les and Fisher haven't had strains on their relationship.

What bothers me is we’ve had some good decisions in personnel; we’ve had some not good decisions in personnel. My staff will tell you that is where I lose sleep at night, is on those ones we haven’t done so well on and what can we learn going forward,” he said “That’s how we learn, that’s how we evolve. We’ve got to look at that subset and how do we get better. How do we not repeat, if that’s a mistake, and also look this, because I think we all have to work together when you bring in players, be on the same page. You have a plan for success for each one, so those are the things that bother me is we haven’t got the results we wanted and the decisions that hadn’t gone well for us. How do we improve those?

The frankness was refreshing, especially after spending the past 12 weeks listening to thinly veiled excuses for the Rams 4-8 record and empty promises to fix problems that linger week after week after week.

Snead, unlike Fisher, is owning his mistakes and laying out ideas and changes to limit them moving forward.

I have had enough of Fisher and most of the coaching staff. I'm not sure on Les Snead. The Rams have hadsome good decisions and some not so good decisions as he has stated. Some are on Les for sure. I don't have a true picture of the decision making process for the Rams regarding personnel. Fisher has to take the lead on the failure to put a winning team on the field. With the information I have now I can see keeping Snead without Fisher. Hopefully he figured out why some decisions were not so so good.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With the information I have now I can see keeping Snead without Fisher. Hopefully he figured out why some decisions were not so so good.

I'm not sure and I know that Kroenke embraced the Patriot paradigm of allowing the Head Coach say over personnel and paring him with a GM who shared similar vision. IMO, I believe if the Rams can land another high profile type of Head Coach like David Shaw or Jim Harbaugh, they will follow that formula once again, however, if not, it will be interesting to see if they hire a General Manager first and allow him to hire his Head Coach in a more conventional structure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sounds to me like Snead is trying to put a lil distance between he and Fish...Just the way he's delivering the message is totally different. And I like it...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sounds to me like Snead is trying to put a lil distance between he and Fish...Just the way he's delivering the message is totally different. And I like it...

I'd like to put distance between them both.