Blow it up, or a few key changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blow up the offensive side of the ball.

I would cut Barnes, Winchmann, Quick, Battle, Britt, Saffold, Kendricks and Keemun (don't renew him).

Draft a Center, two WRs, TE, two Guards and a FB.

On the defensive side, draft a Hybrid LB/DE, FS, RDE, two new Corners and a SLB.

Coaches to get rid of: Boras, Boudreaux, Weinke.

Hire David Shaw of Stanford as HC.
Man, that's a lot of draft picks.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Who was it that hired Devany, Linehan, and Spags? Then Fisher along with Snead?

Is this same person going to be making the call on the next GM and HC? Haven't they already, and repeatedly, demonstrated a complete inability to make wise choice(s)? Why should we trust them to get it right this time?

Linehan was hired by Zygmunt. Zygmunt hired Devaney to help out in the front office and then Devaney was promoted to GM by Rosenbloom. Devaney hired Spags.

Demoff had a role in hiring Fisher and Snead.

The only common link between any of the people you've mentioned is Kroenke and I'm not sure if he played a larger in any of the hirings predating Fisher due to the presence of Georgia and Shaw.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Churn the roster and overhaul the coaching side. Be aggressive in their approach no matter what they do.

Maybe something less than blowing it up, but as it stands today this team is not close to being a contender. Going to take more than fine tuning.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there a market for Tavon Austin? I know he is a favorite on here, but he hasn't played to his contract and while you can blame coaching for some of it I think Austin deserves most of the blame.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is there a market for Tavon Austin? I know he is a favorite on here, but he hasn't played to his contract and while you can blame coaching for some of it I think Austin deserves most of the blame.

Just signed him to an extension and I doubt they trade him, they have to find somebody who can utilize his talents, he can be a game changer and the Rams have only one other guy that can be a game changer so I would hold onto Austin and let the new regime make the determination.

FRO

Legend
Just signed him to an extension and I doubt they trade him, they have to find somebody who can utilize his talents, he can be a game changer and the Rams have only one other guy that can be a game changer so I would hold onto Austin and let the new regime make the determination.
I agree he can be a game changer in virtually any play, I just think his inconsistency and his inability to play in a traditional offense hurts the offense overall. He's not a good WR. He's good in space, but it's impossible to scheme someone open consistently. I was super happy when he was drafted. I'm pretty down on him now and am ready to move on.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was super happy when he was drafted. I'm pretty down on him now and am ready to move on.

Many were and again I will reserve judgment until a new regime comes in and evaluates the current personnel. Let's be honest the Rams have not had good coaches on offense, they have been step children under Fisher and Fisher would not hire somebody with an extensive offensive background and give him total autonomy besides allowing that person to surround himself with others.

Overall I'm sure the new Head Coach will be given the opportunity to see what hand he's been dealt and will either keep some of the cards or discard them for others.

FRO

Legend
Many were and again I will reserve judgment until a new regime comes in and evaluates the current personnel. Let's be honest the Rams have not had good coaches on offense, they have been step children under Fisher and Fisher would not hire somebody with an extensive offensive background and give him total autonomy besides allowing that person to surround himself with others.

Overall I'm sure the new Head Coach will be given the opportunity to see what hand he's been dealt and will either keep some of the cards or discard them for others.
The coaches have been bad. That being said I think we scapegoat them a bit. The players have also played bad and that's not all on coaching. These guys are professionals.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Before today, I'd have said we're a playoff team with a couple key pieces.Now, I lean more towards blow it up. I don't think either are 100% correct. It's somewhere in the middle.
As of right now?

Nuke23.gif

Maybe in a few weeks I'll have a different opinion.
This isn't the time for articulate analyses.
As of right now THIS is the way I Feel!! BUT I'm ...
Drinking.gif
A Lot!! :palm:So I'll wait, and let a clearer Head prevail!!:cheers::shades:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The coaches have been bad. That being said I think we scapegoat them a bit. The players have also played bad and that's not all on coaching. .

Agreed, but the players don't come up with the schemes or game plans, yes they have to execute them, however, the coaches have to put them in position to be successful and IMO, the offensive coaches under Fisher did not do that.

I will never understand why Fisher did not hire a renown Offensive Coordinator some of his teams in Tennessee he did that. He hired Mike Heimerdinger who was renown in Denver, then when Heimerdinger left to go to the Jets, Fisher hired Norm Chow who was renown in college, however, with the Rams he hires a maligned Brian Schottenheimer over Hue Jackson, then when Schottenheimer leaves instead of hiring a Ken Whisenhun, he stays in house to hire Frank Cignetti only to fire Cignetti for Rob Boras and it was just a vicious cycle.

Yes players play, but coaches coach and IMO much of that was that was not working on the offensive side and that is why Todd Gurley is so frustrated, let's hope that changes in 2017.

FRO

Legend
Agreed, but the players don't come up with the schemes or game plans, yes they have to execute them, however, the coaches have to put them in position to be successful and IMO, the offensive coaches under Fisher did not do that.

I will never understand why Fisher did not hire a renown Offensive Coordinator some of his teams in Tennessee he did that. He hired Mike Heimerdinger who was renown in Denver, then when Heimerdinger left to go to the Jets, Fisher hired Norm Chow who was renown in college, however, with the Rams he hires a maligned Brian Schottenheimer over Hue Jackson, then when Schottenheimer leaves instead of hiring a Ken Whisenhun, he stays in house to hire Frank Cignetti only to fire Cignetti for Rob Boras and it was just a vicious cycle.

Yes players play, but coaches coach and IMO much of that was that was not working on the offensive side and that is why Todd Gurley is so frustrated, let's hope that changes in 2017.
Him picking Schotty over Hue was a major red flag.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Part ways with everybody except with Donald, Goff, and Gurley
Nah, come on Kill, you know there are more than those three!! What about Hekker / Ogletree / Greg-the-Leg / Tavon!? aren't those "Keepers too!!?! Be Honest, If you think about it, there are quite a few! Our problems lay mostly with the Offensive and I mean "OFFENSIVE!" Coaching Staff!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Him picking Schotty over Hue was a major red flag.

Sad part everyone knew that with the exception of Fisher, which in turn, showcased he wanted to control his OC and again I don't understand that because as a leader you should understand your areas of opportunities surround yourself and balances you instead Fisher selected someone who was never exceptional IMHO. He had a chance with Jackson and passed and I will never understand why the St. Louis media did not ask him why he went in that direction.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
My point is that there is either an inability to select a good coach and GM, or the organization's scouting department is letting down whomever is hired.

Perhaps both?

1. Pead, Quick, and Greg Robinson.
2. This years draft, outside of Goff, having such a minimal impact.
3. At best, the Olinemen selected last year seem destined to become bottom eschelon starters.

But then, I wonder, why didn't the current GM attempt to bolster the weakest areas of the team, its wr corp and oline, through FA during the last few years? No Titan castoffs in either of those areas available? Who was the Rams last big FA signing? Cody Sensabaugh?

I do not think Linehan, then Spags, and now Fisher suddenly lost the ability to coach football teams once they became employed by the Rams. Even the wonder boy, Josh McDaniels, could do nothing to improve this teams performance.

Why is that? Three of those coaches now direct the offenses, or the defense, of playoff bound teams.

I think the problem(s) is/are widespread throughout the organization. It is the only explanation for such a long and miserable streak of losing season after losing season. I now hope we can get Shanahan Sr to replace Snead with himself, or someone of his chosing, and revamp the scouting department while Shanahan Jr takes over as HC.

Demoff sticks to contracts and that's it.

We have no where to go but up.

Linehan was hired by Zygmunt. Zygmunt hired Devaney to help out in the front office and then Devaney was promoted to GM by Rosenbloom. Devaney hired Spags.

Demoff had a role in hiring Fisher and Snead.

The only common link between any of the people you've mentioned is Kroenke and I'm not sure if he played a larger in any of the hirings predating Fisher due to the presence of Georgia and Shaw.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My point is that there is either an inability to select a good coach and GM, or the organization's scouting department is letting down whomever is hired.

Perhaps both?

1. Pead, Quick, and Greg Robinson.
2. This years draft, outside of Goff, having such a minimal impact.
3. At best, the Olinemen selected last year seem destined to become bottom eschelon starters.

But then, I wonder, why didn't the current GM attempt to bolster the weakest areas of the team, its wr corp and oline, through FA during the last few years? No Titan castoffs in either of those areas available? Who was the Rams last big FA signing? Cody Sensabaugh?

I do not think Linehan, then Spags, and now Fisher suddenly lost the ability to coach football teams once they became employed by the Rams. Even the wonder boy, Josh McDaniels, could do nothing to improve this teams performance.

Why is that? Three of those coaches now direct the offenses, or the defense, of playoff bound teams.

I think the problem(s) is/are widespread throughout the organization. It is the only explanation for such a long and miserable streak of losing season after losing season. I now hope we can get Shanahan Sr to replace Snead with himself, or someone of his chosing, and revamp the scouting department while Shanahan Jr takes over as HC.

Demoff sticks to contracts and that's it.

We have no where to go but up.

Me personally, i think the Rams FO wants to operate like New England before achieving anything.

Like Janoris Jenkis. Sign the man. Franchise him at least. WTF? Same with Rodney. It's like you can't pull the NE moves of cutting or trading dudes when they hit free agency.

I keep repeating over and over and it surely hasn't stuck but there is Zero % chance we get to the Super Bowl with the YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE YEAR AFTER YEAR

That's honestly why i think we suck on defense this year.

I hate to say it but we lost JL, Rodney, Janoris, and i hate to say it but Chris Freakin' Long. Now i thought losing JL and Long was a good move at the time, and although Long's persinality has always itked me, when we let him go we lost all our veteran presence and leadership. Same with JL. Aaron Donald isn't a Hall of Famer yet. So who filled that gap? guys like Ethan Westbrook and William Hayes? Eugene Sims? Well certainly not anyone in the hobbled secondary that went from core strength in '15 to constant disaster in '16. How many different CB's started this year? Hill decides he's gonna get his drink on -- i mean we need to keep the players we know are good

Before the Rams FO decides to adopt that brutal New England method of not resigning vets we might outta to try winning like 6 Super Bowls

The moves they did make?

They threw money at Barron who has to be the most disappointing player this year besides Gurley. Holy Fuck. Did his name get called once this year? And Coty Sensinbaugh like you say...

Argh
By the way we have drafted a ton of offensive talent, it's just wasted

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Nah, come on Kill, you know there are more than those three!! What about Hekker / Ogletree / Greg-the-Leg / Tavon!? aren't those "Keepers too!!?! Be Honest, If you think about it, there are quite a few! Our problems lay mostly with the Offensive and I mean "OFFENSIVE!" Coaching Staff!!
I overreacted after the tough loss I guess, it all just seems hopeless at this point.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I overreacted after the tough loss I guess, it all just seems hopeless at this point.
Believe me when I say " We all feel your pain!!" It will pass, and next year we'll all be smiling at the Rams turn-around!!(y)(y);):D

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pretty much the same problem this team has been dealing with for a decade. You have to build a team from the lines out. First priority the Oline. Decide on a scheme get someone who can teach it and slowly change out the talent to build a good line, then a great oline. Nothing on offense can happen without that first.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We are close. We just need a competent coaching staff who understands the modern game of football, can install discipline and can develop players. We have talent in spades. We just lost to a bunch of street free agents when we lost to the Whiners. We have no identity. And that comes from the coaches.