Black Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Enormous pickup for Dallas. I strongly dislike the dude but he's a good DC and significantly better than who they had. They're gonna have a good chance I think in 2024.
Very good DC if he's still got his fastball. Just sick stuff he does with sim pressures (which is interestingly enough, the meta for the NFL right now). Love this for a team I don't love.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Enormous pickup for Dallas. I strongly dislike the dude but he's a good DC and significantly better than who they had. They're gonna have a good chance I think in 2024.
I am going to disagree here, I really believe Zimmer has lost his fastball and his Vikings teams were not playing well when he left. Dallas does not need someone old, who is stubborn in his ways, they need to hire a DC that can energize that group and help them perform against better competition.

Also the fact that Mike McCarthy & Mike Zimmer have a great relationship would also make me feel negative toward the hire. If I was Dallas I would try to promote from within and go with Aden Durde, who might give a jolt to the like of Parsons & DeMarcus Lawrence & Osa Odighizuwa.

The Dallas Cowboys need exciting & new, they do not need a clone of Mike McCarthy on defense, which is Mike Zimmer. So while maybe the Cowboys feel by hiring Zimmer, they keep Durde in his present role, however, Zimmer will not give the team the jolt they will need for the challenging 2024 as their Head Coach will be on the hot seat from day one and coaching for his job from week to week.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Except that they have a real talent at QB. Will be interesting to see what Roman can do with him.
Roman can coach the run game really well and Herbert is so talented, that can take care of itself. I expect the Chargers to be a running team first and then Herbert to utilize his TE's more often as I believe Brock Bowers will be their 1st round pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am going to disagree here, I really believe Zimmer has lost his fastball and his Vikings teams were not playing well when he left. Dallas does not need someone old, who is stubborn in his ways, they need to hire a DC that can energize that group and help them perform against better competition.
He just isn't head coach material, and personally I don't put all that much stock in HC production for coordinator types. They are either good enough in the ways they need to be in order to run the whole staff or they are not. But their ability to run one side of the ball is a different conversation in a lot of cases. Enough to where I keep them segmented in my mind at least.

And re: old and stubborn if you're good at your job they'll call it experienced and knowledgeable instead.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Except that they have a real talent at QB. Will be interesting to see what Roman can do with him.
I'm not a big fan of Romans when it comes to imaginative offenses. I agree he's good in the run game.
He just isn't head coach material, and personally I don't put all that much stock in HC production for coordinator types. They are either good enough in the ways they need to be in order to run the whole staff or they are not. But their ability to run one side of the ball is a different conversation in a lot of cases. Enough to where I keep them segmented in my mind at least.

And re: old and stubborn if you're good at your job they'll call it experienced and knowledgeable instead.
At a time when many teams are moving to younger coaches that can relate to players, and bring fresh ideas, this move seems odd. Jerry is hanging on to the good ole days.

I imagine that the Cowboys defensive players are like, WTF is he bringing this dinosaur in for?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Also the fact that Mike McCarthy & Mike Zimmer have a great relationship would also make me feel negative toward the hire. If I was Dallas I would try to promote from within and go with Aden Durde, who might give a jolt to the like of Parsons & DeMarcus Lawrence & Osa Odighizuwa.

The Dallas Cowboys need exciting & new, they do not need a clone of Mike McCarthy on defense, which is Mike Zimmer. So while maybe the Cowboys feel by hiring Zimmer, they keep Durde in his present role, however, Zimmer will not give the team the jolt they will need for the challenging 2024 as their Head Coach will be on the hot seat from day one and coaching for his job from week to week.
Dallas feels heading towards a lost season.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dallas feels heading towards a lost season.
I feel that way too, but the last time I truly felt that way was back in 2007, I thought the New York Giants were going to have a bad season and Tom Coughlin would be fired because of it and they won the Super Bowl.

Could not believe how much I read that wrong.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Back when I used to bash whiner fans in the yahoo comments I saw a lot of them wanted to get rid of Roman, who was OC under Har-blah then.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Back when I used to bash whiner fans in the yahoo comments I saw a lot of them wanted to get rid of Roman, who was OC under Har-blah then.
That’s because his success comes with running QBs. Once the read option was solved, he couldn’t turn Kaepernick into a good QB.

He had some success with Lamar in Baltimore, but that didn’t last either.

I wonder how it will work with Herbert, who is not mainly a running QB. This is why some QBs refuse to let crappy organizations draft them. Herbert’s best years are being wasted.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That’s because his success comes with running QBs. Once the read option was solved, he couldn’t turn Kaepernick into a good QB.

He had some success with Lamar in Baltimore, but that didn’t last either.

I wonder how it will work with Herbert, who is not mainly a running QB. This is why some QBs refuse to let crappy organizations draft them. Herbert’s best years are being wasted.
Guy is great in the run game but can't draw up a passing game to save his life. Constantly had receivers right next to each other down the field in Baltimore. Another testament to how good Lamar was passing the ball in that offense*.

*But I'll concede that he sh*ts the bed in pressure situations. I still can't get over how bad Lamar was against the Chiefs. Monken deserves some of the blame but Lamar had the yips!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Guy is great in the run game but can't draw up a passing game to save his life. Constantly had receivers right next to each other down the field in Baltimore. Another testament to how good Lamar was passing the ball in that offense*.

*But I'll concede that he sh*ts the bed in pressure situations. I still can't get over how bad Lamar was against the Chiefs. Monken deserves some of the blame but Lamar had the yips!
Monken basically ran an Air raid offense or run and shoot type of scheme. It isn’t a complex scheme and I’m sure it was designed to make easy reads for the QB. It’s a variation of a college offense.

It didn’t fool Andy Reid and Steve Spagnoula. It didn’t seem to fool McVay and Morris but the Rams just lack the talent.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Monken basically ran an Air raid offense or run and shoot type of scheme. It isn’t a complex scheme and I’m sure it was designed to make easy reads for the QB. It’s a variation of a college offense.

It didn’t fool Andy Reid and Steve Spagnoula. It didn’t seem to fool McVay and Morris but the Rams just lack the talent.
I know you said basically but Monken doesn't run an air raid offense and I think "basically" misconstrues what he runs and the complexity of it too.

Air Raid is a specific kind of spread offense that no one runs in the NFL, the closest person to actually run it was Kingsbury in Arizona and even then it had major modifications.

Monken's bread and butter is a wide open passing attack and he does tend to use a ton of spread principles but ran a varied attack with the Ravens this year with a bunch of 21 personnel and 12 personnel (36% of the time!). I believe this usage of those two packages was well above league average so hard just call them spread when they're running two TE and two TE and two RB at such a clip.

Mind you, most of what else he ran was 11 personnel and spread often connotes 4 WR (ala Air Raid), I'm not even sure he ran any 4 WR sets this year!

He did not, however, run heavy sets against the Chiefs (which was mindboggling) or even run much at all for that matter! And I can see if people just watched that game, coming away thinking it was just a heavy passing offense they ran all year.

Last edited: