BernieM on Bradford: "personally I don't care for the guy"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I found this statement by Bernie to interesting. So he doesn't like Sam as a person. Where does that come from? Did Bernie get stiffed by Bradford for an interview? Or is there more to it? Sam comes across as a very cautious guy. He reminds me a bit of my grandmother who was so careful that she put newspaper under the cuckoo clock. You just never can tell what will happen I'm told. But that doesn't seem like enough to dislike a guy. Sam is just too uptight and guarded for Bernie, I guess. Bernie calls that being snotty. Whatever.

<a class="postlink" href="http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=963285&p=12674567&hilit=bradford#p12674567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/vie ... #p12674567</a>
BernieM

I try to be fair about Bradford and that requires some effort to look beyond the cliches by studying performance trends. He made good progress last season in a lot of areas. I would think being in the 2nd year with Schotty will help.

But I always laugh when I'm portrayed as a Bradford apologist. That's sort of how it works with the folks that dislike him; if you try to be fair and objective, then you're an apologist. (BTW: I've been guilty of doing that in the other way -- calling the other side names for their disapproval of Bradford ... it was bad form on my part but I've changed my ways.)

The irony?

Truth is, personally I don't care for the guy. It has absolutely nothing to do with how I analyze his play; that's an entirely separate issue. And I'm proud to say that my personal feelings never enter into my analyses of an athlete. Sam can be pretty snotty in his dealings with us. He doesn't have much to say, either. All of which is OK... but it's not as if I have any personal fondness for the man. I don't. But I will continue to evaluate him honestly and fairly, and it bugs me when others won't make the attempt to do so.

Thank you...

-B

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: BernieM on Bradford: "personally I don't care for the gu

I thought that was intriguing as well, and I have a lot of different theories on that. None of which are probably true, but the top one would be that he's just setting himself up to be objective. In other words, I don't think it's true at all, but he doesn't want to come across as an "Apologist", so he says he doesn't like him. Sam doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to snub the media, but what the hell do I know?

jjab360

Legend

All I can really say is wow. What was Bernie thinking? If Bradford didn't want to deal with him before, I can only imagine how he'll deal with him after reading this. Way to keep a up a professional relationship, Miklasz, what a joke.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Bernie has so many personal issues that impact his work its hard to know whats going on. Ultimately, I don't see Sam as a person who play games with people or kisses ass, and the probably rubs Bernie the wrong way beacuse he doesnt feel he's being treated special enough by Sam.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

Bernie Miklasz can suck my DNA rifle. Ive seen cadavers with more journalistic integrity.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Bernie. LOL.

The guy is barely worth reading most of the time and dropping this is really just as X says.....he's trying to make himself look objective. Keep in mind this is the guy who was part of the group of media vultures that went after Warner (he called Warner crippled remember). Bernie was Martz mouth piece and I lost a ton of respect for him back then and he's done nothing to earn it back. Putting his personal feelings about a player is another dumbass move.

I used to read his stuff and lost count at how many times he "gleaned" from message boards to fill space.

This is really poor stuff from him and I hope his boss takes him to task for it. I'm guessing Fisher and Snead won't be smiling when they see it either.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stranger said:
Bernie has so many personal issues that impact his work its hard to know whats going on. Ultimately, I don't see Sam as a person who play games with people or kisses ass, and the probably rubs Bernie the wrong way beacuse he doesnt feel he's being treated special enough by Sam.

I think you have a logical take. I'm just wondering what current Rams players have treated Bernie special. And furthermore, who are the players that Bernie actually likes personally? I'm not sure it's really related.

My guess is that Bradford couldn't care less that Bernie doesn't like him. It's just not important to Sam. OTOH, I listened to Rich Eisen's interview of Bradford and after it was over and Sam left, Eisen and his staff said they liked Bradford. Said Sam keeps his head down and sticks to his business.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

What in the hell is not to like about Bradford as a PERSON!!! That's the easiest part to like about him! That's the unanimous part that's easy for ALL OF US to like... besides Bernie. Bradford is dedicated and focused on what is important, winning football games. Just because Sam doesn't kiss Bernie's tail Bernie holds a grudge.

Sam just held a charity drive for the OK tornado victims, but Bernie doesn't like him as a person. It was flamboyantly foolish for him to make this public. This a real blemish on his resume with me. Tool.

Lesson

Oh, really?

As others have said, Bernie is just trying to make it seem that he isn't on one side or another in order to make himself seem objective. Granted, it probably wasn't the wisest idea to say it in a such manner like that, but what can you do?

The way he pretty much flipped-flopped on Spags made me realize he is just doing what ever he could possibly do to attract more people to his show, his articles online, and the print version of the PD.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

I'm ambivalent about Bernie. :lol:

I like Bernie, so I'll admit that. I'm not saying he doesn't have his faults. I am very surprised by this. From all accounts, Sam seems like a good dude, but obviously I'm on the outside with no way to look in, so what do I know?

I wish Bernie would expound on it. However, I don't think he would be doing his job if he didn't mention this. He's a columnist, not a beat reporter. He's paid to give his opinion and that's what he's doing. I only wish he would have expounded a bit more on his issues with Sam. Maybe that's for another column if #8 gets driven out of town.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

TheRyanExpress said:
I like Bernie, so I'll admit that. I'm not saying he doesn't have his faults. I am very surprised by this. From all accounts, Sam seems like a good dude, but obviously I'm on the outside with no way to look in, so what do I know?

I wish Bernie would expound on it. However, I don't think he would be doing his job if he didn't mention this. He's a columnist, not a beat reporter. He's paid to give his opinion and that's what he's doing. I only wish he would have expounded a bit more on his issues with Sam. Maybe that's for another column if #8 gets driven out of town.
Yeah, I don't have a real problem with Bernardo either. I used to, but we mended our fences via PMs one day and came to an understanding. And you're right. He's not a beat reporter or an analyst really. He's a columnist, and their job is to generate page views and increase readership. That's what he does. Do I think he should be more tactful? Absolutely. But then we're back to his being a columnist again.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

With all the freakin wife beaters, bar fighters, druggies, deadbeat dads, etc in the NFL, why would a 'journalist' be so callous as to pick out Bradford? What's Bern's standard for likeability? I mean, really.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

X said:
TheRyanExpress said:

Yeah, I don't have a real problem with Bernardo either. I used to, but we mended our fences via PMs one day and came to an understanding. And you're right. He's not a beat reporter or an analyst really. He's a columnist, and their job is to generate page views and increase readership. That's what he does. Do I think he should be more tactful? Absolutely. But then we're back to his being a columnist again.

Tact aside, and as you can imagine that isn't as valuable for me as it is for some lol.

It's the quality of his work, the thought and effort is lacking. Look at what Shane Gray produces in contrast to what we read from Bernie most times. Ignoring the tone that permeates much of his work and just contrast the quality and depth and Bernie just pales in comparison.

He was never great but he used to be readable. Now it's like he has to have a degree of edginess that it just to high, like tabloid level. He's becoming worse and worse.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Stranger said:
With all the freakin wife beaters, bar fighters, druggies, deadbeat dads, etc in the NFL, why would a 'journalist' be so callous as to pick out Bradford? What's Bern's standard for likeability? I mean, really.

That's a good point too.....

I think part of the issue is that Bernie acts like a whiny bitch when guys don't give him loads of their time or things he can stuff into a column. Maybe he doesn't like it that some of the national guys are getting more mic time with SB than he is.

Lesson

Oh, really?

LesBaker said:
X said:
TheRyanExpress said:

Tact aside, and as you can imagine that isn't as valuable for me as it is for some lol.

It's the quality of his work, the thought and effort is lacking. Look at what Shane Gray produces in contrast to what we read from Bernie most times. Ignoring the tone that permeates much of his work and just contrast the quality and depth and Bernie just pales in comparison.

He was never great but he used to be readable. Now it's like he has to have a degree of edginess that it just to high, like tabloid level. He's becoming worse and worse.

Shane isn't a columnist, though. It's similar comparing JT to Bernie. I like Shane better than JT since he doesn't really let his opinion get in the way of covering the team, unlike JT, who made a huge deal about an equipment manager getting let go.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

LesBaker said:
X said:
TheRyanExpress said:

1dlWH.jpeg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

X said:
LesBaker said:
X said:
TheRyanExpress said:

1dlWH.jpeg

You're the "leave Britanny alone kid" aren't you.....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Bernie thinks he is The Show... he thinks more of himself than anyone else. Sam probably put him in his place at some point and Bern got his little feelings hurt.

I've seen how he acts like a bitch on his lame forum. I mean like a little Bitch. Let me just say... he's not as fucking intelligent as he believes himself to be.

Anyway, he's selling "clicks" ... he knew exactly what he was doing when he made this comment.

Didn't he recently get taken off of the regular radio air-time he took up ??? I've seen him now doing some incredibly primitive video chat siting behind a desk in T-shirts. Could it be that Bernardo has actually been sent "to the corner" because of his pompous radio program ? Now he's lashing out at the real stars ??

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I have always like Bernie. Still do!

But, I find those statements surprising. I don't see any benefit to saying that. None. At least not as a journalist trying to get access to the Rams.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing... but let's face it; the PD went all weird years ago... particularly JT... when the equipment manager (media leaker) was let go by the club.