Bernie: Maybe Rams Should Draft A Qb

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm not even gonna address Bernie's article beyond saying it's typical half-baked Bernie.

And I hope most of the posters on this board are savvy enough to realize that even if they draft a QB at #2 overall (which is about a 0.00001% shot), they aren't gonna keep Bradford to hedge their bet.

When you draft a QB #2 overall, he is your guy. It doesn't make sense financially to keep all that money tied up in Bradford, just to hedge your bet, when they can use it to sign other players. Plus, Bradford will want to be gone himself.

Actually, draft a QB #2 and keeping Bradford too, is about the stupidest idea I've heard in a very long time.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah pretty well how I see it.
It WOULD be pretty funny in an alternative universe IF we drafted a guy with that pick who consistently outplays RG and we had ALL those other picks but I'm fine with continuing to build a great team and making Sam the center.

fancents86

Starter
i would actually like to see if we could find a way to get Mallet on the team. Although i know belicheck will have a hefty trade price for him.

tonyl711

Starter
injury prone? I wouldn't call it that, he had a shoulder injury in college, that has not bothered him again, he had the high ankle sprain, which hasn't bothered him again, and this knee, who really knows how he will come back on it, but these days most athletes have no problems coming back from knee surgery. I don't understand how you can be labeled injury prone when the 2 injury's with the Ram's on one he had his leg rolled up on (happens a lot in the NFL), the other he is pushed out of bounds at an angle that shredded his knee, both pretty common in the NFL.
that said I don't think we need to take a QB in the first round, but somewhere in rounds 2 to 4 we need to take someone to develop.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
the rams will get a qb inthis draft, just not at the number 2 spot.

Yup. And this is a perfect draft for them to do that. There is a lot of depth at QB in this draft. We can get one in the 3rd round or later.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You want an interesting possibility if we draft a QB at #2? How about this one...

Houston passes on Bridgewater and the Rams pick him at #2. Then they cut Bradford. Then Jerry Jones signs Bradford and the Cowboys move on from Romo and his bad back. Remember that the Cowboys had Bradford #1 on their board in 2010. And an Oklahoma boy like Bradford would fit nicely in Dallas.

Then Bradford plays lights out behind the now strong Cowboys OL (they drafted an OT, Tyron Smith, high in the 1st round recently) with Dez Bryant and Sam leads them back to the SB. And he becomes the darling of Dallas, hanging out with Troy and Roger the Dodger.

And oh yeah, Bridgewater turns out to be an injury prone average QB.

You guys go ahead and laugh. We did do something that stupid with Warner, remember?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm not even gonna address Bernie's article beyond saying it's typical half-baked Bernie.

And I hope most of the posters on this board are savvy enough to realize that even if they draft a QB at #2 overall (which is about a 0.00001% shot), they aren't gonna keep Bradford to hedge their bet.

When you draft a QB #2 overall, he is your guy. It doesn't make sense financially to keep all that money tied up in Bradford, just to hedge your bet, when they can use it to sign other players. Plus, Bradford will want to be gone himself.

Actually, draft a QB #2 and keeping Bradford too, is about the stupidest idea I've heard in a very long time.

I think Bernie is suggesting that if they do draft a QB 2nd overall they cut Bradford.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For example, this season Kaepernick had a salary-cap figure of just under $1.4 million; Wilson’s 2013 cap figure is just over $681,000. Those figures go up slightly in 2014, but both quarterbacks are incredible bargains.
Here's the thing though. With those two, and Luck, or RGMe, it doesn't matter that they're underpaid right now. The market is going to dictate that they get close to $100M once their contracts are up for renegotiation IF the team keeps winning. That's the way it works. Kaepernick is a free agent in 2015. Think the 49ers are going to let him reach that without ponying up a hefty extension for him first? And when they do, and the 49ers lose 4/5ths of their O-line to injury and lose Boldin, and have assorted injuries on defense (see: Rams), they could end up with a sub .500 record. That's now the QB's fault, or the team's fault for paying a premium on the one position in the league that demands a premium? Big picture, Bernie.

So the Rams got jobbed by the NFL Rookie Wage Scale structure that was in place when they drafted Sam. Big deal. Teams with very good QBs pay for the luxury of not having a big fat question mark at the QB position. The Rams were just forced to pay earlier than most everyone else, and it will all even out in the end. Think the Ravens ENJOY paying $20M to Flacco (they're married to that sumbitch for the next 4 years)? Or Dallas paying $25M to Romo? Bradford's going to make what he makes next year, and if the Rams (as a team) are successful, then they got what they paid for. If not, then whatever ... find an alternative. His contract now gives the Rams some flexibility if he doesn't pan out (which I think he will by the way, so calm down). The point is this. No matter how you build a team, if the QB is successful, you're going to pay out the nose to keep him under center. This isn't a sport where you can rotate QBs in and out in order to maintain cap flexibility. No team has that kind of strength across the board to be able to pull that off.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Per Bernie on December 30, 2013:

"I support the decision to move forward with Sam Bradford. A case could be made by some to cut ties and move on - I respectfully disagree. I'd like to see him in a full season in this offense ... he's currently trending in the right direction. Here's what I want to see though. Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, they need to come out right away, thrown down, and make it very CLEAR to the public that Sam Bradford is their guy. He will be their starting QB in 2014, it's not even a question around Rams park, so people can stop flinging stuff against the wall hoping it will stick. Everybody can stop dispensing rumors, and making stuff up. I think they'll do it, because I think they're smart. They need to put an end to all the rumors about moving on now, and I think they'll do it."

VIDEO

And again, this was less than 2 weeks ago.

The fuck, Bernie? You (try to) force the Rams' hand to come out and make a public commitment to Bradford, and they did. Now you're saying they should draft a QB #2 overall because not doing so would be negligent. Honestly. It's getting extremely difficult to defend your inalienable right to have an opinion and express it. Particularly when you so easily change it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Thinking about this more. The only valid reason to draft a QB at @ 2 is if the team knew Bradford wouldn't be willing to resign with the Rams after his contract was up in two years.
Yeah he could be tagged for a year but..
That like everything else this is speculation.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
David Fales, 6'3", 220, bottom of the 3rd, top of the 4th. PERFECT!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Per Bernie on December 30, 2013:

"I support the decision to move forward with Sam Bradford. A case could be made by some to cut ties and move on - I respectfully disagree. I'd like to see him in a full season in this offense ... he's currently trending in the right direction. Here's what I want to see though. Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, they need to come out right away, thrown down, and make it very CLEAR to the public that Sam Bradford is their guy. He will be their starting QB in 2014, it's not even a question around Rams park, so people can stop flinging stuff against the wall hoping it will stick. Everybody can stop dispensing rumors, and making stuff up. I think they'll do it, because I think they're smart. They need to put an end to all the rumors about moving on now, and I think they'll do it."

VIDEO

And again, this was less than 2 weeks ago.

The Freak, Bernie? You (try to) force the Rams' hand to come out and make a public commitment to Bradford, and they did. Now you're saying they should draft a QB #2 overall because not doing so would be negligent. Honestly. It's getting extremely difficult to defend your inalienable right to have an opinion and express it. Particularly when you so easily change it.

That's crazy! Actually, embarrassing.

This feels more like a CYA moment. If Bradford gets hurt... Roll out the "I told you so" article...

bskrilla

Starter
I'm not in favor of taking a QB with our #2 overall pick, but I understand the point Bernie is making. Everyone agrees we need to take a QB at some point this draft, and if there's a guy there at #2 that they love then maybe you take him as your back-up. I think this line of reasoning also only works if they are, for whatever reason, super down on everyone else at the top of the draft (Clowney, Mathews etc)

Again I don't see it happening, and I wouldn't be happy if it did, but I don't think it's heresy to entertain the idea.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I cannot listen to the Kaepernick and Wilson thing over and over. They are turning out to be solid game managers on teams that have amazing lines on both sides of the ball and top flight defenses.

It isn't like either of those guys are leading their team to wins. Is anyone else feeling this way or is it just me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I cannot listen to the Kaepernick and Wilson thing over and over. They are turning out to be solid game managers on teams that have amazing lines on both sides of the ball and top flight defenses.

It isn't like either of those guys are leading their team to wins. Is anyone else feeling this way or is it just me.

^ This.

tonyl711

Starter
well on Burwells video interview with Snead, Snead said for the umpteenth time that the Rams are commited to Sam, says he should be ready by training camp and he will be the starter in game one. Fisher or Snead have never wavered on this, I for one believe them. Bernie writes to stir up controversy, just like the article last week about ED saying LA don't deserve a team, he doesn't care if what he writes is what he really believes as long as it gets the forums talking about him. I mean how do you start an article saying I AM one of the biggest Sam supporters there are, then go on to say we should cut him?