Bernie: Maybe Rams Should Draft A Qb

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_7adee35c-8171-5750-9273-dc8479f7ebcf.html

52d3d202d67f1.preview-620.jpg

GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher are standing by their man, Sam Bradford. The bosses have put the word out again: The Rams don’t intend to take a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft.

Seeing that I am among the town’s leading Bradford apologists, you’d think this would make me happy.

You would be wrong about that.

I think the Rams would be shortsighted to rule out drafting a quarterback at No. 2 overall.

No, I haven’t flip-flopped on Bradford’s talent.

Yes, I realize that Bradford has burned through four NFL seasons. At some point, even a Bradford honk will lose patience. But Bradford was coming along nicely until having his knee shredded in the seventh game of this season. The injury put Bradford down for the season. It was yet another attack of bad luck in a career that can’t gain traction.

And that’s my primary concern here.

This isn’t about ability.

It’s about durability.

My pragmatic side makes it impossible for me to ignore Bradford’s obvious difficulty in staying healthy.

How can the Rams count on Bradford to lead them to consistent success when he has such an inconsistent record in being physically able to huddle up and play?

Going back to his collegiate football days at Oklahoma, Bradford has been been fully intact for only two of the last five seasons.

Let’s review Bradford’s career since he won the Heisman Trophy at OU in 2008:

In 2009, Bradford suffered a shoulder injury in OU’s first game and re-injured it later in the year. He started three games but only played one full game, meaning that he was healthy for only one of the Sooners’ 13 games.

In 2010, Bradford started all 16 games for the Rams and was named the NFL offensive rookie of the year. All good. Come on up for the rising.

In 2011, Bradford suffered a high ankle sprain in the Rams’ fifth game, at Green Bay. He missed six entire games and limped through five other starts. He really shouldn’t have played in them. Bottom line: Bradford was healthy for only five of the 16 games.

In 2012, Bradford started all 16 games and played well down the stretch. Back on track. Come on up for the rising ... again.

And 2013: Not so fast. Seven starts. The knee unravels. Nine games missed.

Over the past five seasons (college and pro) Bradford could have started a maximum of 77 games.

He started only 52 of the 77.

He was healthy and viable for only 45 of the 77.

Given that spotty track record, I’m not sure why the Rams’ authorities have such strong confidence in Bradford’s ability to endure.

And the starting quarterback’s health is a critical factor in determining an NFL team’s success.

During the 2013 regular season, NFL teams that received a minimum of 15 starts from their No. 1 quarterback posted a collective winning percentage of .600. Teams that had to rely extensively on backups paid for the instability with a losing record.

Of the 12 teams to qualify for the 2013 postseason tournament, 10 had at least 15 starts from their starting quarterback.

That continued the pattern. Bradford has been in the league for four years. Over that time, 40 of the 48 teams that made the playoffs had their starting quarterbacks in place for a minimum of 14 games in the applicable season.

Considering the vital importance of having your No. 1 quarterback go the distance, the Rams would be taking a huge gamble to disregard Bradford’s injury history.

The Rams simply can’t afford to view their No. 2 quarterback position as an afterthought. This is still a quarterback league. It’s still the most essential position on the field.

Do the Rams need to invest the No. 2 overall pick in a quarterback? No, they don’t. Just take a look at the two best teams in the NFC West: San Francisco drafted Colin Kaepernick in the second round; Seattle hit the lottery in landing Russell Wilson in the third round.

But if the Rams scout quarterbacks and are blown away by any of the top prospects — Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles — then they have to consider grabbing their guy at No. 2 overall. That depends on availability.

Given Bradford’s history, it’s hardly a luxury or a frivolous action to use the No. 2 overall pick on a potential franchise quarterback. Besides, the Rams can fill another need with their 13th overall pick, and as of now they hold nine selections in May’s draft.

Even if Bradford stays upright over the next two seasons, there’s no guarantee he’ll finally become an elite quarterback.

Moreover, there are no assurances of re-signing him to a reasonable contract.

Bradford has two years remaining on his original rookie deal. His salary-cap figures for the next two seasons are $17.61 million for 2014 and $16.58 million for 2015.

So I ask: What’s the bigger risk here?

Drafting a QB at No. 2 overall, or continuing to invest vast sums of money in Bradford?

It’s a legitimate question.

Because of the major change in the rookie compensation system that went into effect in 2011, the cost of paying a young quarterback has dropped dramatically.

For example, this season Kaepernick had a salary-cap figure of just under $1.4 million; Wilson’s 2013 cap figure is just over $681,000. Those figures go up slightly in 2014, but both quarterbacks are incredible bargains.

The Rams would save $10.42 million on the cap by cutting Bradford before next season. They would save nearly $13 million on the cap by bailing on Bradford before the 2015 season.

I’m not advocating a dump-Bradford play. But it’s silly to ignore the obvious reality here. He’s making a lot of money for a team that’s tight against the salary cap.

The Rams could have it both ways.

Keep Bradford and still afford to pay a quarterback drafted No. 2 overall. That keeps Bradford in place for 2014 and gives the Rams an appealing quarterback option if (A) he gets hurt again, or (B) falls out of favor.

Think of Philadelphia and young quarterback Nick Foles, who was ready to take over when Michael Vick broke down again. (Related note: Over the past three seasons Bradford has started only four more games than the frequently injured Vick, 33 starts to 29.)

This discussion becomes irrelevant if the Rams are ambivalent over the top quarterback prospects.

Or maybe Fisher and Snead identify a QB that they’d be excited to pull off the board in the second or third round.

All I’m saying is this: One way or another, the Rams need a viable alternative.

Unless, of course, Fisher and Snead truly believe Bradford is about to suddenly morph into an iron man and become something that he hasn’t been — namely, a quarterback who will start and complete full seasons and perform at an elite level.

It pains this Bradford apologist to say it, but the evidence suggests a different outcome.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before anyone gets riled up, Bernie hasn't flip-flopped on his opinion of Bradford the athlete. He still likes his skill set. This is only a piece about the pragmatic approach of possibly drafting a QB so the Rams can hedge their bets. I think EVERYONE is of the opinion that Kellen Clemens (as highly regarded as he is) is not a viable option if Sam should get hurt again. Whether it be fluke or a reaggravation of a previous injury, I think it's safe to say we need insurance now. And really, is competition for the starting spot a bad thing? That's the biggest motivator in life, to be quite honest.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think we definitely need to draft a QB. Just in the later rounds. No matter what does or doesn't happen with Bradford we need to develop (IMO) a backup or future starter with a much higher ceiling than Clemens or Davis.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Dang it Bernie... way to state the obvious about everything. Yes we will draft a QB.... in the later rounds. ROD went through this a couple weeks ago.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The part that really bothers me is taking someone at 2nd overall. Even though if they get sold on one it will be hard to get out of 2 and still take them.

Imo, if they rank Matthews ahead or even with a QB you have to take Matthews. We have to start getting serious about building the line. That is the key to competing in the West more than anything. I'm not ruining another young QB behind a makeshift line.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Nah, Bernie's always followed the strategy of exacerbating his fan's age old agenda to hate on Bradford for the sake of being right about something in their own limited quarterback focused analysis of the team.

Does Bernie want a viable backup to Sam? Of course he does, so the next season can be an ongoing series of quarterback controversy articles, especially if it were to involve a fan coveted mobile quarterback.

I agree with the need for competition and depth, but I maintain that the team's needs for that are far greater on the offensive line.

All that said, I can see them picking a QB early if the right option to trade down doesn't come along, and I can understand the logic considering the need for a viable backup and that they have the 2nd oval pick this year.

Seriously, if the Texans really did draft Clowney, and there wasn't another great offer for a trade down, they would be crazy not to draft a quarterback.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I said it months ago in a thread on here. The Rams would be crazy not to draft a QB in the first 3 or 4 rounds this year. As Paul said, what is so bad about competition for the most IMPORTANT position on the team??? Competition does not necessarily = controversy either, so please spare me that line. Sam has a history of injury that is impossible to ignore. I hope Sam comes back 100% this season and sets the world on fire, but it would be prudent to start grooming another young QB in case the injuries continue to hamper Sams career. Yep, I used the word "prudent". :nau:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I said it months ago in a thread on here. The Rams would be crazy not to draft a QB in the first 3 or 4 rounds this year. As Paul said, what is so bad about competition for the most IMPORTANT position on the team??? Competition does not necessarily = controversy either, so please spare me that line. Sam has a history of injury that is impossible to ignore. I hope Sam comes back 100% this season and sets the world on fire, but it would be prudent to start grooming another young QB in case the injuries continue to hamper Sams career. Yep, I used the word "prudent". :nau:
Well, it's going to be a controversy no matter what. That's just the nature of the beast when it comes to fans. There were plenty of numbnuts who thought Clemens was the best option going forward because of the wealth of things he can do that Sam can't. That's what they said, anyway. I honestly don't know how to feel about his injuries so far. They were just things that happened, and not necessarily one nagging, lingering injury that won't to away. Let's face it ... he's not immune to the giant pot of shit luck that everyone gets dished on this team.

But yeah. It would be smart to get someone in here who can offer great improvement over Clemens. Teams do that all the time and get rewarded for it. Trading guys like Alex Smith, Kevin Kolb, (either Cousins or RG3 soon) for future picks can only help the Franchise over the long haul. Do I think Sam has what it takes to win consistently in this league? Abso-freakin-lutely. Am I comfortable with the dropoff in talent behind him? Eh, no. So I guess the question (the REAL question) is what round do the Rams take a QB? Because that's likely going to make a big difference. I do think Snead has a good eye for talent, so maybe he'll find a diamond after the big 3 or 4 are gone. It's riskier the further in the draft you get, but there are no guarantees any of the top guys will pan out either.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I wonder if they will even scout Bridgewater/Bortles. I think they're both great talents. I think the decision w/the future of Sam would be easier if he played 16 this year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
He's just all over the damn map here though.
I think we all agree they should take a developmental QB, cool.
I don't think anyone would like to see them take a QB @ 2.

The Sage-Like Bernie said:
So I ask: What’s the bigger risk here?

Drafting a QB at No. 2 overall, or continuing to invest vast sums of money in Bradford?

Wait, you told us in the onset that you were a fan of Bradford and weren't in favor of dumping him off?
Then he cites how cheap Kaepernick and Wilson are.
Well guy, those aren't Top 5 paid QBs. RG3 is making something like $5 mil a year, a bargain compared to Bradford, but quite a bit more than what the other two kids are making.
Then it's a growing year to learn the playbook, then the next season becomes the season they need to 'gel'.
So do you keep Bradford and leave your 2nd overall QB on the bench and invest $20 million into one position. Bah.

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Take a guy in the middle of the draft and develop him. If Bradford is a major disappointment in 2014, well, the QB class is stronger next year if that's your bag.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Could there be a chance that the Rams draft a QB in round 2 if say a Bortles or Manizel is there for the picking?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd be surprised if we pick a QB in rounds 1 or 2... but after going through this season, I wouldn't be disappointed if we did.

It's hard to say that it's not an area we should be concerned with.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Of course they do. No question.
And FWIW that's my first take, Bernie writes crap to stir the PD message boards and in the end ,THAT'S all who ends up reading his stuff.
If he's an "apologist" where the injury apology? Whoever we have at QB needs better protection and OBTW to have a 1st overall pick on your roster end use the second ,if it doesn't mean you've given up on the first ,it means you draft like a yo yo.
Fine we want a backup better than KC , find something but using the second overall for that is fantasy football GM shit, Bernie has ALL the luxury of never paying for his half baked ideas

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I wonder if they will even scout Bridgewater/Bortles. I think they're both great talents. I think the decision w/the future of Sam would be easier if he played 16 this year.
Sure they will scout them. But draft them? No. Bridgewater will be taken at #1 anyway . . . and Bortles at #2? No, not by Rams. Maybe Cleveland.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I figured he would do one of these devils advocate fluff pieces. Nothing wrong with it.

There is a side to the argument of taking a QB at #2 and trading Bradford for what ever they can get. Not me but I see where they come from.

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO, taking a QB in the last few rounds is just wasting a pick. QB's taken that late just about NEVER pan out. Sure, everyone loves to bring up Brady but he might be the greatest draft pick of all time(gag). If you think the Rams can pull off drafting a starting caliber QB in the last few rounds, then you're quite the optimist. If the Rams are going to be serious about possibly finding a competent QB in the draft, it's going to have to be somewhere in the first 4 rounds, maybe even earlier. If you think drafting a QB in rounds 5-7 is going to get you anything then I don't really think you're serious about finding a possible alternative at QB in the event that Bradford doesn't pan out or just can't stay healthy.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Through his first three seasons(48 games) Sam was sacked 105 times and only missed six games. How many times did he get hit? :wow: I don't see a durability issue there at all.

This recent non-contact knee injury is obviously a concern from the standpoint of how will his rehab go? Will he return on time? Will he return to pre-injury form etc...
Fluke injury that happens to the best of them. Bad luck.
I'm not buying the Bradford is injury prone stuff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would have no problem drafting a QB somewhere in this draft,just not at the top of it.