Bernie Articles On This Site Are No More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
A beat writer gives update on a near daily basis about the team. Transactions, draft picks, who they've brought in for visits, potential signings, etc. A columnist just gives opinions on the state of the team. Or in Bernie's case...snarky comments with no consistency.

Yes, I know the difference.

Bernie comes across as a spurned lover, forced to comment on an ex.

scifiman

To be fair, if I had to go through life with the initials B.M., it might make me pretty unpleasant too.

Just as an aside, I've moderated a few forums in my day, and I always hated when trolls inevitably contended that moderation actions were due to intolerance of their opinions rather than inappropriateness of their actions, and the First Amendment protected their opinions.

This (and almost every other) forum is a privately owned space, much like someone's house. If the management here wanted to arbitrarily ban everyone who had the letter E in their name, they'd have every right to do that (even if it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do). The First Amendment only says that CONGRESS cannot limit Free Speech, not that one has the right to be on someone else's property regardless of the owner's wishes.

Bernie's 1st Amendment rights are demonstrably not infringed as he can still say whatever he wants elsewhere.

I know this isn't news to most of you, but it's a big Internet pet peeve of mine.
I agree as this 1st amendment gets quoted and used in so many ways that do not apply in the personal life. Sad that there are so many ignorants running around that even after you point this out to them they still do not comprehend.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Okay, can we please stop beating-up on Bernie now. I am glad he's no longer part of ROD, but are we becoming him in this thread? @PhxRam @Prime Time

ix408w.jpg

scifiman

I think Bernie can be summed up as a type of fan that many people can relate to at some level. I mean look at how long it has been since the rams have had a winning record or made the playoffs. After over a decade of mediocrity it feels like the team and management will never get it together. I for one have had high expectations every year and then the reality of the regular season happens and it just gets depressing after so many years. I have talked with other fans of other teams like the Browns and Cowboys and Bills and Dolphins etc. who feel the same way. You get depressed and then get angry because it seems obvious what needs to be fixed yet the management or coaches etc. do not get it fixed.
I for one have learned to temper my enthusiasm for the new season. I no longer buy into all the propaganda and rah, rah, rah. Sure I root hard for them but at the same time expect bad things to happen because that has been the way it is for the rams lately. Now if I were a paid writer like Bernie I would understand this and have people proof my stuff so that the fans would not perceive me as being too negative about the team.
I will go into this season being pessimistically optimistic. I dont live in Missouri but I practice the "show me" attitude at this point with the rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, if I had to go through life with the initials B.M., it might make me pretty unpleasant too.

Just as an aside, I've moderated a few forums in my day, and I always hated when trolls inevitably contended that moderation actions were due to intolerance of their opinions rather than inappropriateness of their actions, and the First Amendment protected their opinions.

This (and almost every other) forum is a privately owned space, much like someone's house. If the management here wanted to arbitrarily ban everyone who had the letter E in their name, they'd have every right to do that (even if it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do). The First Amendment only says that CONGRESS cannot limit Free Speech, not that one has the right to be on someone else's property regardless of the owner's wishes.

Bernie's 1st Amendment rights are demonstrably not infringed as he can still say whatever he wants elsewhere.

I know this isn't news to most of you, but it's a big Internet pet peeve of mine.

Yep. And it goes a bit further than that(because of the due process clause in the 14th Amendment). It also applies to government affiliated organizations, State governments, and government agents.

However, private businesses are under no obligation to offer you free speech. Internet sites, NFL teams, the McDonalds around the corner...none of them owe you free speech. They do not have to listen to your opinion.

It always makes me chuckle when I read about people crying foul claiming First Amendment Rights when a private business tells them or another person that they can't express whatever views they please.

Such as some idiots claiming the First Amendment protected the Dolphins player from being fined and suspended over his gay bashing comments. Yea, you're wrong. Try reading the freaking Bill of Rights.

It's also a pet peeve for me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yep. And it goes a bit further than that(because of the due process clause in the 14th Amendment). It also applies to government affiliated organizations, State governments, and government agents.

However, private businesses are under no obligation to offer you free speech. Internet sites, NFL teams, the McDonalds around the corner...none of them owe you free speech. They do not have to listen to your opinion.

It always makes me chuckle when I read about people crying foul claiming First Amendment Rights when a private business tells them or another person that they can't express whatever views they please.

Such as some idiots claiming the First Amendment protected the Dolphins player from being fined and suspended over his gay bashing comments. Yea, you're wrong. Try reading the freaking Bill of Rights.

It's also a pet peeve for me.

Just to be devil's advocate for a sec. There are exceptions - this case not being one of them. If you own a business open to the public and allow political speech (for example), you can't then discriminate. It's why Target formed the policy that you couldn't solicit in front of their stores. Though they were a supporter of the Salvation Army for example, they were forced into a situation where they either had to allow all or none. I believe they have since figured out a work around to specifically allow the Salvation Army to solicit and not others but I'm unsure of that.

But to be sure - an internet forum has no such obligations to anyone.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The
'He's taking all of this too seriously'
button doesn't appear on your posts either. :)
Perhaps you can add a 'He's being a meanie' button while you're at it.

PS. Draft is over, I think we're all bored again.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Perhaps you can add a 'He's being a meanie' button while you're at it.

PS. Draft is over, I think we're all bored again.

Yeah, come to think of it, there are a few more buttons I'd like to add myself. :sneaky: