Barrett Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I really like to see this cat take the center job. I had enough watching Wells get hurt or be not the player he was in Green Bay. You guys agree?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
WE had a thread discussing this very topic a couple of days ago. But here is my response to your question.

IMO that would be the worst thing they could do. They need to get one more year out of Wells. With Robinson lining up at LG, it will benefit him greatly to have both Long and Wells along side.

And without having to worry about picking up the garbage that usually got by C. Williams/S. Smith last year, having the two horses (Saffold and Robinson), he can focus on getting to the second level, which he excels at.

I really don't want to go into this season with a ROOKIE starting at LG, and what amounts to a ROOKIE starting at Center.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
At this point I'd just like to see him make it onto the field.
Everything after that is gravy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Would definitely prefer Wells to be the center. I realize that he has injury concerns, but I don't feel comfortable with Jones in front of him just yet, especially not when Robinson's going to start at the left guard slot.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Assuming he is healthy, I expect Wells to be the center for game 1. I don't expect him to be healthy all year, and at some point I think Jones will take over. Best of both worlds - Robinson gets time next to Wells to learn, and Jones gradually becomes the starting center of the future.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Let's see him pass Barnes on the depth chart before we make him the starter.

jdhommert

Rookie
CoachO is right. We need Wells as the Starter. Totally ok with Wells not participating much in camp either. I certainly want Wells next to GRob asap to help him out and develop cohesiveness etc ......but they need to do what the need to do to make sure Wells is in tip top shape for Game 1. He's a smart vet he doesn't need a training camp to be ready for the season really. He knows what he needs to do to be ready on his own.

I'm cool with them letting Barnes and Jones compete for now

Alan

Legend
Memento taking the wisest course:
Would definitely prefer Wells to be the center. I realize that he has injury concerns, but I don't feel comfortable with Jones in front of him just yet, especially not when Robinson's going to start at the left guard slot.
I agree. Didn't I hear about Jones not looking good in one on ones?
Like others, I have my doubts Wells plays 16 games though.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I hope wish Barrett would step up and take the starting spot but I don't know if he can hold up at the POA. Preseason will be fun to watch this year. I don't think anyone expects Barrett to be a bulldozer but if he can keep getting stronger and compensate for the lack of power with awesome technique and intelligence he's got a shot

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I can't make TC practices, so I'd like to see him get some second team snaps in preseason games to see where he's at. I've heard there have been some struggles early on. Hopefully he can focus on technique more now that he's healthy.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Barrett Jones reminds me of "Louie" (a simple LOL nothing more). I think he makes the 53 but remains a mystery until 2015. JMO based on the progress he's made to date off the Lisfranc recovery. I mean former all pro guard Carl Nicks may have to retire from a proclaimed lingering "toe injury". Man that sucks!

Wells man's the center position. Stay healthy!

Attachments

• suplee.jpg
    suplee.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 141

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Jones looks a lot stronger and seemed more feisty in Sunday's practice than I remember him last year. I met him at Fisher's softball game and he just seemed like an over-grown fat kid... I really mean no offense, but the kid looked the farthest thing away from being a football player, except for his girth. He looks a lot stronger this year.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
The longer it takes for Jones to crack the starting OL the better. With Barnes ahead of him, he may never or at least until Robinson moves to LT.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Maybe another overrated Bama kid

I don't necessarily thinks its a case of him being over rated, (other than by the fans and media) as much as it says about the depth they have finally assembled on this O-Line. People tend to over look Barnes, and with the signing of Joesph, just where does Jones fit right now?

That being said, it appears they are going to continue to rotate Jones and Barnes for that backup center spot. Let's see how that shakes out before labeling him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The more camp reports I read, I gotta go with what coach said...guys just not ready. And like a few in here have said, he's gotta pass Barnes first...Seems as if they're giving him a chance.

I'm starting to feel that with the better OG's around, Wells is less likely to get hurt.......

Greg Stone

Rookie
I couldn't believe that Jones beat Robinson pushing guys uphill. Many cited this drill/contest but I haven't seen it mentioned who each of them was pushing. Was Robinson on the bigger/better guy? If not that is very impressive.