Barrett Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I couldn't believe that Jones beat Robinson pushing guys uphill. Many cited this drill/contest but I haven't seen it mentioned who each of them was pushing. Was Robinson on the bigger/better guy? If not that is very impressive.

Its not a race. This drill is all about technique and making sure you keep your feet moving, and your hands locked on the guy. Best way to get hurt doing this is to try and win a race.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let's see him pass Barnes on the depth chart before we make him the starter.
I was so very happy with the selection of center Barrett Jones most all know that....likewise I am also happy with this years drafted center Demetrius Rhaney. But I need to say a bunch here on our current starting center.

The 6-3 308 pound Tim Barnes starting in the interior with OG's of the like of Saffold/Robinson/Joseph instead of the like of last season with Chris Williams/Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington to get a fair judge of proper & right judge of the real full skill & abilities of Tim Barnes.

Barnes has participated & performed in three complete NFL Training Camps & Pre Seasons under his belt Jones has zero. Barnes has been active for 31 Ram games....Jones was dressed for just one game last season. Barnes finished five games as the Rams starter. Jones has zero. If Wells is unable to be our starter in 2014 I would far prefer Barnes as our starter & let the highly talented fully healthy Barrett Jones absorb a full 2014 NFL Ram season as the top reserve active reserve center & or OG's during Rams games. If Barnes does go down then it should be Barrett's job to be ready.

Unlike Scott Wells who has not been fully healthy since he was signed in 2012. Barnes is nothing short of being a complete opposite of Wells. Barnes had early career surgery on both shoulders in college but has been durable starting 40 consecutive games for Missouri. Since Barnes signed as a UDFA in July of 2011 Has remained fully healthy for all the TC's & Pre Seasons & healthy to dress for 30 Ram games & healthy to finish five as our starting center.

Barnes has seems to be always overlooked...he was a 3 year starter. He was a Scrappy spread formation shotgun snapper . He has some good skills he plays with a good base has good knee bend. He is best in getting into position to wall off DL'ers. He show's during the five games he finished last season he is strong on down blocks on Zac's running power plays. He has grown in power since he came here to handle NT's on his nose. Sam Bradford will like Tim Barnes due to the fact that his snaps are crisp & very accurate & has a excellent skills when centering for the shotgun. He has the ability to find a linebacker target. Barnes is mobile & get out to block on the edge. Now here's something else Barnes has a history of going about his career in a smart approach where Barnes he was discarded at the conclusion of his college career ...no worry...was never considered to get an invite to the highly praised combine....no worry but yet here he is NOW lining up in the starting walk thru of the current Ram OL working as a team with former all pro's Davin Joseph & Jake Long, second overall 2014 first round draft pick Greg Robinson & Rodger Saffold & Barksdale......Me thinks Barrett Jones may need to get real Ram dirty, sweaty bruised strained overheated hurting Ram practices for a long time under his belt to earn the right to be where Tim Barnes has worked so hard to be!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Barnes has seems to be always overlooked...he was a 3 year starter. He was a Scrappy spread formation shotgun snapper . He has some good skills he plays with a good base has good knee bend. He is best in getting into position to wall off DL'ers. He show's during the five games he finished last season he is strong on down blocks on Zac's running power plays. He has grown in power since he came here to handle NT's on his nose. Sam Bradford will like Tim Barnes due to the fact that his snaps are crisp & very accurate & has a excellent skills when centering for the shotgun. He has the ability to find a linebacker target. Barnes is mobile & get out to block on the edge. Now here's something else Barnes has a history of going about his career in a smart approach where Barnes he was discarded at the conclusion of his college career ...no worry...was never considered to get an invite to the highly praised combine....no worry but yet here he is NOW lining up in the starting walk thru of the current Ram OL working as a team with former all pro's Davin Joseph & Jake Long, second overall 2014 first round draft pick Greg Robinson & Rodger Saffold & Barksdale......Me thinks Barrett Jones may need to get real Ram dirty, sweaty bruised strained overheated hurting Ram practices for a long time under his belt to earn the right to be where Tim Barnes has worked so hard to be!

I was just getting ready to mention this as well. He is excellent as a shotgun snapper. By comparison, how much did Barrett Jones do in the shotgun while at Center that year at Alabama?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Robinson get a look at RT. If Joseph is back to form they could see how Robinson does there and if he could potentially beat out Barksdale. All else fails we finally have some fantastic depth on the line.

Irish

Starter
Jones will be given every opportunity to start on this team at some point in his tenure based on his pedigree alone.

Whether that is this year or next remains to be seen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was just getting ready to mention this as well. He is excellent as a shotgun snapper. By comparison, how much did Barrett Jones do in the shotgun while at Center that year at Alabama?

Its really a shame that Sam Bradford has not shown any shotgun ability now that Barnes is our center.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Its not a race. This drill is all about technique and making sure you keep your feet moving, and your hands locked on the guy. Best way to get hurt doing this is to try and win a race.

So the several reports of this "event" were in error?

""ROLL TIDE!" - Barrett Jones beating Greg Robinson up the hill #IronBowl #RamsCamp Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More Jeremy Maxwell ‏@JMAX12 40m"

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So the several reports of this "event" were in error?

""ROLL TIDE!" - Barrett Jones beating Greg Robinson up the hill #IronBowl #RamsCamp Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More Jeremy Maxwell ‏@JMAX12 40m"
A fan watching two guys in a drill "racing up the hill" and tweeting about it makes it a race?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I for one felt that the offensive line suffered going from Wells to Barnes and that is why I was confident the Rams would keep Scott Wells...Many felt that Barnes played well in place of Well I did not share that sentiment, however, will focus on both Barnes & Jones come preseason.

Greg Stone

Rookie
A fan watching two guys in a drill "racing up the hill" and tweeting about it makes it a race?

What's with the condescending attitude, Coach? Several people reported it. I wasn't there. Training camp is competitions within competitions including races of various kinds. If the posters were in error just say so.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was there, on the hill about 5 feet away.
Yes, Coach Beaudreau made sure to make a competition out of the pairing of "Alabama vs Auburn" by saying it several times before the "go".
For others, like Jake Long, it wasn't a competition as much as a pairing.

I think Coach B was absolutely pushing those two, maybe just to see how they would respond. Still, it was light hearted.

I don't think Jones winning the drill says too much IMO.
That said, Saffold out shined them all by quite a bit on this one.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Until the pads come on...I am reserving all judgement toward lineman.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What's with the condescending attitude, Coach? Several people reported it. I wasn't there. Training camp is competitions within competitions including races of various kinds. If the posters were in error just say so.
I wasn't trying to condescending and apologize if it came off that way.

There are all types of fans at these practices. Everyone sees something others don't. At the risk of sounding self-serving i'd like to think I've built a certain level of credibility here.

Greg Stone

Rookie
I wasn't trying to condescending and apologize if it came off that way.

There are all types of fans at these practices. Everyone sees something others don't. At the risk of sounding self-serving i'd like to think I've built a certain level of credibility here.

I certainly appreciate having the benefit of your insight.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I really like to see this cat take the center job. I had enough watching Wells get hurt or be not the player he was in Green Bay. You guys agree?
I have been predicting it but I've been told I was all wrong. I even said Wells may not make team... again i was wrong. However, I still say Barnes, if healthy beings size an strength to the game Wells does not have. Maybe keep Wells as a backup . . .but Barnes an backup both guard and center.

Obvioulsy I could beb wrong, but I see Jones as our starting center this year.

Greg Stone

Rookie
I'm really torn on Tim Barnes versus Barrett Jones since I'm a Mizzou alum and a CPA. More power to Barnes, who came out of college unheralded, if he beats out the much honored and "sure thing", Jones. I'm anxiously awaiting seeing both in action this pre-season.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Don't forget Barnes was 1st Team All Big XII and went up against and performed quite well against the likes of Gerald McCoy & Ndamukong Suh while at Mizzou. Also was going against NFLer's Ziggy Hood, Aldon Smith & Dominuque Hamilton in practice during his Mizzou days.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I'm really torn on Tim Barnes versus Barrett Jones since I'm a Mizzou alum and a CPA. More power to Barnes, who came out of college unheralded, if he beats out the much honored and "sure thing", Jones. I'm anxiously awaiting seeing both in action this pre-season.
If you take a look at the last 10 Remington Award Winners (excluding current winner) only 2, Maurkice Pouncey-2009 & David Bass-2004 have any kind of a notable NFL career. Kind of in line with a lot of College Awards, not much of an indicator when it comes to playing in the NFL.

Greg Stone

Rookie
If you take a look at the last 10 Remington Award Winners (excluding current winner) only 2, Maurkice Pouncey-2009 & David Bass-2004 have any kind of a notable NFL career. Kind of in line with a lot of College Awards, not much of an indicator when it comes to playing in the NFL.

How about the Outland Trophey then? It has a fine track record.