Barrett Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
(y)
How about the Outland Trophey then? It has a fine track record.
I'll buy that one! One of the few college awards that a majority of the alumni live up to the hype. Let's hope the current winner has a stellar career. My intended meaning was that a college award isn't a valid indicator of pro potential.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was so very happy with the selection of center Barrett Jones most all know that....likewise I am also happy with this years drafted center Demetrius Rhaney. But I need to say a bunch here on our current starting center.

The 6-3 308 pound Tim Barnes starting in the interior with OG's of the like of Saffold/Robinson/Joseph instead of the like of last season with Chris Williams/Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington to get a fair judge of proper & right judge of the real full skill & abilities of Tim Barnes.

Barnes has participated & performed in three complete NFL Training Camps & Pre Seasons under his belt Jones has zero. Barnes has been active for 31 Ram games....Jones was dressed for just one game last season. Barnes finished five games as the Rams starter. Jones has zero. If Wells is unable to be our starter in 2014 I would far prefer Barnes as our starter & let the highly talented fully healthy Barrett Jones absorb a full 2014 NFL Ram season as the top reserve active reserve center & or OG's during Rams games. If Barnes does go down then it should be Barrett's job to be ready.

Unlike Scott Wells who has not been fully healthy since he was signed in 2012. Barnes is nothing short of being a complete opposite of Wells. Barnes had early career surgery on both shoulders in college but has been durable starting 40 consecutive games for Missouri. Since Barnes signed as a UDFA in July of 2011 Has remained fully healthy for all the TC's & Pre Seasons & healthy to dress for 30 Ram games & healthy to finish five as our starting center.

Barnes has seems to be always overlooked...he was a 3 year starter. He was a Scrappy spread formation shotgun snapper . He has some good skills he plays with a good base has good knee bend. He is best in getting into position to wall off DL'ers. He show's during the five games he finished last season he is strong on down blocks on Zac's running power plays. He has grown in power since he came here to handle NT's on his nose. Sam Bradford will like Tim Barnes due to the fact that his snaps are crisp & very accurate & has a excellent skills when centering for the shotgun. He has the ability to find a linebacker target. Barnes is mobile & get out to block on the edge. Now here's something else Barnes has a history of going about his career in a smart approach where Barnes he was discarded at the conclusion of his college career ...no worry...was never considered to get an invite to the highly praised combine....no worry but yet here he is NOW lining up in the starting walk thru of the current Ram OL working as a team with former all pro's Davin Joseph & Jake Long, second overall 2014 first round draft pick Greg Robinson & Rodger Saffold & Barksdale......Me thinks Barrett Jones may need to get real Ram dirty, sweaty bruised strained overheated hurting Ram practices for a long time under his belt to earn the right to be where Tim Barnes has worked so hard to be!

Two things, I believe I saw Mebane & Bryant MANHANDLING Barnes in week 17...& if Jones can't handle center, he should NEVER, EVER, EVA play guard in the National Football League.....just some thoughts. The quickest way to blow up an offense is pressure up the middle.....

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
WE had a thread discussing this very topic a couple of days ago. But here is my response to your question.

IMO that would be the worst thing they could do. They need to get one more year out of Wells. With Robinson lining up at LG, it will benefit him greatly to have both Long and Wells along side.

And without having to worry about picking up the garbage that usually got by C. Williams/S. Smith last year, having the two horses (Saffold and Robinson), he can focus on getting to the second level, which he excels at.

I really don't want to go into this season with a ROOKIE starting at LG, and what amounts to a ROOKIE starting at Center.

AMEN.... especially in the NFC west.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Thanks.
Totally agree. It is tough and brutal in the middle. What we forget is how well Wells can get to the 2nd level if he is not stuck in clean up mode. Neither Barnes or Jones have demonstrated this ability which is essential to taking the run gam to the next level.

There is no comparison in terms of the passing game. He knows who the mike lb. Question is can the guards physically handle the assignments. Last year no way, This year year maybe there is a hope.

O

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Two things, I believe I saw Mebane & Bryant MANHANDLING Barnes in week 17...& if Jones can't handle center, he should NEVER, EVER, EVA play guard in the National Football League.....just some thoughts. The quickest way to blow up an offense is pressure up the middle.....

I understand your point on Jones & Barnes above...... but that game #17 ......would not be a game where I would seriously judge Barnes on..:hellno:.it was a game where Barnes had the great help of the two well known outstanding OG's :palm: Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington blocking on both sides of Barnes guess they were blocking the other invisible DT's :owned: plus the well accomplished holding the fort :LOL:@ left OT Chris Williams ......... or was Barnes assigned to block the entire Seahawk DL:fighting: :)?

Was this the game where the Rams & Barnes were forced to play the best hottest team in the NFL @ their Seattle home base in late December :mad: (who is in XXXX is in charge of the scheduling Pete Carroll ?) & for most of the game without our two best OL'ers in Jake Long & Rodger Saffold?

Was this the same game where we had a guy named Clemens playing QB & the entire Seahawks defense had 8 & 9 up in the box daring our QB to make a throw :unsure: is that the game where the Seahawks knew our only way for us to beat them was by running the ball...:confused: ....even though the score was 27 to 3 well deep into the 4th quartero_O? Rams rushed for grand total of 13 yards that game.....:shades:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I understand your point on Jones & Barnes above...... but that game #17 ......would not be a game where I would seriously judge Barnes on..:hellno:.it was a game where Barnes had the great help of the two well known outstanding OG's :palm: Shelley Smith & Brandon Washington blocking on both sides of Barnes guess they were blocking the other invisible DT's :owned: plus the well accomplished holding the fort :LOL:@ left OT Chris Williams ......... or was Barnes assigned to block the entire Seahawk DL:fighting: :)?

Was this the game where the Rams & Barnes were forced to play the best hottest team in the NFL @ their Seattle home base in late December :mad: (who is in XXXX is in charge of the scheduling Pete Carroll ?) & for most of the game without our two best OL'ers in Jake Long & Rodger Saffold?

Was this the same game where we had a guy named Clemens playing QB & the entire Seahawks defense had 8 & 9 up in the box daring our QB to make a throw :unsure: is that the game where the Seahawks knew our only way for us to beat them was by running the ball...:confused: ....even though the score was 27 to 3 well deep into the 4th quartero_O? Rams rushed for grand total of 13 yards that game.....:shades:

Point made...I'm starting to like the Mizzu boys..Any chance we can grab DGB in the next draft? With Washington out there, man Stacy couldn't move....So I'll give him a "show me" state pass.....LOOKIN at you Barnes.....