Barrett Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
He doesn't.
I'd say he's too tentative sometimes away from the ball or doesn't disengage from blocks very well, but the one thing he does is he gets to the ballcarrier in a hurry and when he gets there, he lets them know he's been there. Video evidence above.

I'd say he's an even harder hitter than Khalil Mack who, for all the big plays he makes, is still more of a drag down tackler than a violent hitter like Shazier.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I strongly disagree.
ryan-shazier-kills-zach-maynard.gif

ryan-shazier-huge-hit.gif

L947gUY.gif

Nope. Fail.

You got him hitting guys that are barely moving while he's in full stride. Even then he got one solid hit out of the 3. Thanks for helping my cause.

He'd get tore up in this division.
Pisa was too small and so is this guy. You just like how he looks with his shirt off. :D

jjab360

Legend
Nope. Fail.

You got him hitting guys that are barely moving while he's in full stride. Even then he got one solid hit out of the 3. Thanks for helping my cause.

Pisa was too small and so is this guy. You just like how he looks with his shirt off. :D
How do you think most big hits happen, lol? And just completely ignore the video, I guess?

I know he played at a smaller size, but he showed up at 237 lbs at the combine and still ran a blazing fast time at that size at his pro day. Even still, you're letting the size get in the way of the fact that this guy lays the wood down. It's a ridiculous argument to make that smaller guys can't be big hitters, some of the hardest hitters in the league are safeties after all.

Like I said, there are parts of his game he needs to work on, but this is one part of his skillset that you are absolutely wrong about.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
How do you think most big hits happen, lol? And just completely ignore the video, I guess?

I know he played at a smaller size, but he showed up at 237 lbs at the combine and still ran a blazing fast time at that size at his pro day. Even still, you're letting the size get in the way of the fact that this guy lays the wood down. It's a ridiculous argument to make that smaller guys can't be big hitters, some of the hardest hitters in the league are safeties after all.

Like I said, there are parts of his game he needs to work on, but this is one part of his skillset that you are absolutely wrong about.

Dude! I ain't gonna read all that! At least not right now...

Check out Pryor if you wanna see some real hitting. He's my pick at 13.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Lets be fair, tOSU has played two good teams the past two years. Strength of schedule has been weak as hell since CUM took over.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - Alan wants a lot of things. My common decency and decorum precludes me from even mentioning them in such fine company. DAMN YOU ALAN! Cuz I'd really like to mention them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last thing I heard was that B. Jones was working hard in the weight room. I have never met his spotter, but the team probably wouldn't allow him to lift without one, big balls, or not. I don't think the Rams would go after a Center in free agency, or the draft. Seems Wells will be retained, and I think B. Jones is the future there. Hopefully, B. Jones will be able to compete at the Guard position, this season.

That is where where we need the most help, as well as a swing tackle, and starting tackle until Jake Long is ready.

I right in here with DR RAM on Barrett.....Down here in Bama land Barrett has always been very popular! I posted three times yesterday on Barrett in other posts. I see Barrett this season as playing the part of top game day reliever. Barrett can play all five OL positions some better than others but he will hold the fort. But what makes him more special than others is what he could and has down playing center. Between the ears stuff.

I see the Wells retainment being connected with Barrett. Scott Wells being who he is and Barrett being the future center...Wells & Barrett will be tied together. Rams used Chris Williams (OLG) & Wells (OC) hand in hand on many things I can see Barrett getting much work beside Wells on the OL calls. Barrett with is long arms can pinch hit @ both OT spots if need be. I stated last week that if the Rams need Barrett to work some @ OLT due to Jake Long being out ....it would not surprise me to see him getting a ton of work out there too.

VERSATILE is the best to describe this youngin

wrstdude

Rookie
Not a fan of the way he takes on OLmen blocking him-can't give ground in the NFL.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't know if any of you are like me but I fully expected after a full NFL redshirt year Mr. Jones would be ready to go at a G or C spot this year and be pretty beastly. Has anybody heard anything what so ever about his development? I'm thinking this could be key of what we have planned for the draft and/or FA.
i think this is in the cards for Rams OL
train

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Last thing I heard was that B. Jones was working hard in the weight room. I have never met his spotter, but the team probably wouldn't allow him to lift without one, big balls, or not. I don't think the Rams would go after a Center in free agency, or the draft. Seems Wells will be retained, and I think B. Jones is the future there. Hopefully, B. Jones will be able to compete at the Guard position, this season.

That is where where we need the most help, as well as a swing tackle, and starting tackle until Jake Long is ready.

Where did you hear Jones was working out in the weight room? I know he went on a missionary trip to India in January.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nope. Fail.

Pisa was too small for what? He lead the team in tackles how many times?

Pisa was one of the better players for a long time for a team that was desperate for more players like him.

He wasn't an all-star, but more guys like him would have made the Rams a much better product than what we were subjected to.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Pisa was too small for what? He lead the team in tackles how many times?

Pisa was one of the better players for a long time for a team that was desperate for more players like him.

He wasn't an all-star, but more guys like him would have made the Rams a much better product than what we were subjected to.

Even Ogletree is 245...

We don't want smaller LB'ers.

I'm good with Mack Because he's pretty tall and will gain weight.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The issue with Barrett Jones is he was not a good fit for this scheme when they drafted him. Rams must of seen value in the 4th to take the proverbial flyer on him. Jones' issues is him in line blocking. He like to turn blockers out of the way as opposed to driving them. He did a lot of zone blocking at Bama and is a very heady player who can outsmart a DT, UT, but not out muscle them. Jones was the oline QB and did a great job of calling out plays on the line.

I cant see Jones playing guard with this Rams team. He struggles to get to the 2nd level, actually let me rephrase that, he does not get to the 2nd level in the run game. His pass blocking is NFL ready, but his only position with the Rams would be C, IMO.

If we ran a ZBS then he probably would of started last year. His biggest challenges at Alabama where moving big defenders and Im guessing that is still the issue at the NFL. Like I said I think he is a quality player in the right system, I just don't think our is the best right now and would be surprised and probably disappointed if he was started at G this year. I could see him replacing Wells eventually and holding his own, but Im not sure if he will ever be the "answer" with this coaching staff.

Now all that being said, I don't know his progression of how much strength he has added and if he might be ready to compete for a job. Wouldn't be shocked if was dangled as trade bait.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Even Ogletree is 245...

We don't want smaller LB'ers.

I'm good with Mack Because he's pretty tall and will gain weight.
That's fine and all...just seems odd that you'd use a productive player as an example. Very contradictory to your argument.

69superbowl

Rookie
Barrett Jones must start and play well for the Rams or it is going to be a poor start (Long won't be ready, I fear) and yet another mediocre season. Dahl's dismissal sounds like an injury/bad parts issue, while Saffold is just being smart. Wells is... eh, OK-to-dependable, and the rest of the current OL depth is nothing to get excited about. Frankly, I'm talking myself into BJones being the key to the offense - along with the draft/signing of two more starters. Really anxious about the O-line for 2014. Nice site, by the way. Good to see some familiar names & writing styles. I was hoping the offensive line would look better in a different font. Nope.