Barrett Jones had Back Surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Just read it on another site. He might be out all season. So that's why he hasn't been at practice. Starting to look like that was a bad pick. I know you can't hit on all picks but Pead now Jones

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://m.stltoday.com/sports/footba...5f38-8d25-702a688b380f.html?mobile_touch=true

Meanwhile, Fisher confirmed that Jones, a highly-decorated lineman at Alabama and a fourth-round draft pick in 2012, underwent back surgery. Jones experienced lower back issues earlier in training camp, and the Rams tried to see if the back would settle down. But he underwent surgery about a week ago, and now the Rams must decide what to do with him roster-wise. They have a couple of weeks to decide.

They can place him on the injured reserve list ending his season. They can place him on the injured reserve/designated for return list, in which case he would be eligible to return sometime during the second half of the season if healthy. Or they could simply carry him on the 53-man roster.

Jones’ rookie season in 2012 amounted to the NFL version of a redshirt year because of foot surgery that occurred after Alabama’s national championship victory over Notre Dame. He reported to training camp this year with improved upper body strength and less body fat, with the potential to push for playing time at both center and guard.

The back surgery puts all that on hold. Mizzou product Tim Barnes is next in line at center behind starter Scott Wells, who saw his first action of the preseason Saturday.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No way would i put Jones on the injured reserve/designated for return list.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here's the problem. Jones is EXACTLY the type of guy who the Rams would cut loose right before he gets healthy and has multiple All-Pro years in some other city. Both the foot and back are freak injuries, not indicative of being "prone". He's pretty cheap as a fourth rounder and we don't lose anything if we IR him for the season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
IR him, see what he's got next year. If he can stay healthy he's got the makings to be quite good with us. Let him continue with building strength this year and see what happens.

FRO

Legend
It seems like the Alabama prospects are so beat up coming into the pros. I wonder if that's going to start factoring in the draft.

Also it's hard to call a fourth round pick a bust. All I ask Snead is to hit on the first three rounds and have one or two mid or late round successes. So far it's been pretty good for Snead.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Damn shame, IMO the guy has a lot of upside and is versatile - IR him and get him ready for our post Super Bowl winning season next year ;)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yep, IR him. That's a good way to stock pile talent for next year.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Here's the problem. Jones is EXACTLY the type of guy who the Rams would cut loose right before he gets healthy and has multiple All-Pro years in some other city. Both the foot and back are freak injuries, not indicative of being "prone". He's pretty cheap as a fourth rounder and we don't lose anything if we IR him for the season.

Yes, but back injuries can be debilitating.
'Can' be....

Trust me, I know this. ;)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
With Jones and Pead likely not taking roster spots anymore this year, might they decide to use one of those spots to keep both Westbrooks AND Sam? Both are too good to lose if you don't have to.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes, but back injuries can be debilitating.
'Can' be....

Trust me, I know this. ;)
Yes they can.
Also, wasn't his foot injury a lisfranc? If it was, those are very serious as well. Sometimes career ending.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
IR him.

I'm not sure a roster spot has opened up though. I think Reynolds had a decent shot of beating out Pead for the 4th RB spot anyway and if anything, I think they might carry one MORE o-lineman because of the versatility lost with Barrett Jones.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like our Centers for 2014 is just about settled on the master roster in my mind. Wells-Barnes & Person with Rhaney knee injured & Jones having back surgery. Rhaney now looks to be a strong PS cadre (if that knee is sound if not he would go IR).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just read it on another site. He might be out all season. So that's why he hasn't been at practice. Starting to look like that was a bad pick. I know you can't hit on all picks but Pead now Jones
Yeah, but really hard to project injuries that people have never had.