Barrett Jones had Back Surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I know you've been less than a fan of Jones at times; do you think he'll be back in a Rams uniform at any point this year or even next?
I fully expect him to be back... Fisher has been very consistent in his approach, and doesn't use injuries as a reason to get rid of players.

That is not to say, players such as Matt Daniels, who always seem to get knicked up, or is constantly injured, won't be in jeopardy of being cut. They gave Danario Alexander every opportunity to get over the hump, but eventually had to release him when he just couldn't get back on the practice field. Sammy Brown is another who fits that bill, and SHOULD hvae finally come to the end of the line next week, when the first round of cuts are made.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Agree. Enough of this cat who is overrated
Don't know how you can call him overrated, unless you are referring to him being a fan favorite. He hasn't been on the field, to say he is or isn't over rated. We have no idea if he can be the player he was in college, because he hasn't been healthy.

If they place him on IR, it costs them nothing to keep him in the mix for another year. And if this year in indeed Scott Wells' last year as a Ram, what harm is it to keep Jones around to get healthy?

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Don't know how you can call him overrated, unless you are referring to him being a fan favorite. He hasn't been on the field, to say he is or isn't over rated. We have no idea if he can be the player he was in college, because he hasn't been healthy.

If they place him on IR, it costs them nothing to keep him in the mix for another year. And if this year in indeed Scott Wells' last year as a Ram, what harm is it to keep Jones around to get healthy?

Wasting 2 years on a guy is silly in the NFL. I say let Barnes be next in line for job.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wasting 2 years on a guy is silly in the NFL. I say let Barnes be next in line for job.
How is placing him on IR a waste? Its a non issue. It costs them nothing, and they get a free pass on a guy they obviously thought enough of to draft in the first place. A guy who MOST deemed a steal in the 4th round, once he gets healthy.

Barnes should be the next in line, and is. But that has nothing to do with Jones.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
How is placing him on IR a waste? Its a non issue. It costs them nothing, and they get a free pass on a guy they obviously thought enough of to draft in the first place. A guy who MOST deemed a steal in the 4th round, once he gets healthy.

Barnes should be the next in line, and is. But that has nothing to do with Jones.

Jones is a waste. Time to move on. I bet he be hurt next year.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Barnes is next in line for the job. Jones staying on the team (on IR) doesn't change that one iota.

Ramatik

Starter
FML
this is the worst news to me this whole off season as training camp and forward is concerned. Hell either way he'd be decent OL depth if we place him on the designated to return list or IR him. Either way it's a win if you ask me. I see him someday performing and being our starter at G or especially center. Remember this is probably Wells last season and only Jones' 2nd year in a 4 year contract. Haha would be nice if he started next year and got good production in year 4 and we could take up the 5th year option on him. I could defiantly see that happening.

This is what i'm thinking as well.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's flat out irrational not to keep him on IR another year for his versatility alone.

Heck, it's not like they didn't draft another potential center in Rhaney as a developmental pick, but he's injured as well too and as a seventh round pick it's not much of a stretch to think of him as a player they took a chance on. Heck, if all four of Wells, Jones, Barnes and Rhaney are competing for that starting position next year, it's nice problem to have assuming that they are all competing at a high level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. I am biased. I never liked the pick. A bad back and an arthritic foot are two big negatives for any athlete, and moreso for an NFL offensive lineman.

Plus the back issue could easily be directly related to the Lis Franc injury. If Jones is compensating for a weakness in his foot he could have an imbalance that put his back out. People have slipped discs because of such things.

I just don't believe he ever pans out.

Well, then we cut him if he doesn't. No reason to cut a guy now that could contribute in the future.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, then we cut him if he doesn't. No reason to cut a guy now that could contribute in the future.

True. I just am not sure how the designations work. I thought you could only have a restricted amount of players on a PUP list. Plus I am frustrated. The OLine looked like a strength after the draft and is suddenly looking like depth is a serious concern.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
True. I just am not sure how the designations work. I thought you could only have a restricted amount of players on a PUP list. Plus I am frustrated. The OLine looked like a strength after the draft and is suddenly looking like depth is a serious concern.

He is not eligible for the PUP list. The only player at this point who would be eligible for that list is Kadeem Jones, because he has not practiced since the start of training camp. Jones would have to be placed on IR, which would end his season. Or he can be the guy they use the IR-Designated for Return, which would allow him to come back and start practicing after week 6, and be activated Week 8. His estimated recovery time from his back surgery was appx 8 weeks, which puts it around Oct. 1st. If he is designated for return, that would give him 2-3 weeks to get back in football shape.

Not saying they WILL use that on him, but its certainly an option.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
He is not eligible for the PUP list. The only player at this point who would be eligible for that list is Kadeem Jones, because he has not practiced since the start of training camp. Jones would have to be placed on IR, which would end his season. Or he can be the guy they use the IR-Designated for Return, which would allow him to come back and start practicing after week 6, and be activated Week 8. His estimated recovery time from his back surgery was appx 8 weeks, which puts it around Oct. 1st. If he is designated for return, that would give him 2-3 weeks to get back in football shape.

Not saying they WILL use that on him, but its certainly an option.
Demoff said in his interview this morning that they hoped to have him back midseason. Obviously idk how solid the word is of the COO or if he actually knows what they will do but he said it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Demoff said in his interview this morning that they hoped to have him back midseason. Obviously idk how solid the word is of the COO or if he actually knows what they will do but he said it.
He's usually pretty up front about that sort of thing.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
He's usually pretty up front about that sort of thing.
so I guess there's the answer if all goes well. He's staying. Fear for the Oline over the secondary especially in the trenches of the West

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

With so little practice time I cannot imagine Jones will be game ready very quickly. If they designate him to return it either speaks to how highly they regard him, or how desperate the back up Oline situation is.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With so little practice time I cannot imagine Jones will be game ready very quickly. If they designate him to return it either speaks to how highly they regard him, or how desperate the back up Oline situation is.
They have Person playing center now too. I'd say they are a little desperate to see who will suit up on Sundays. We covet versatility. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bond get some snaps at Center,

CoachO

Hall of Fame

His timeline for recovery is 8 weeks, from the surgery (July 31st) That puts him around Oct 1st. Which is right in the middle of the bye week. Assuming it takes him another 3 weeks to get up to speed, he is ready by game six (Oct. 19th) vs. Seattle.