Barrett Jones had Back Surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
A bad back could be an explanation as to why he still looked like the weakest man on the o-line.

Then again, him being the weakest may be what led to the back injury.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I like Jones. I think he will get placed on IR and given one more year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yup, gotta agree. This was to be his 3rd season, zero productivity regardless of "potential." What's the return on a damaged 4th year veteran with zero starts? Are centers that scarce?

Um no,, this is his 2nd year.

RamBill

Legend
OL Barrett Jones out with back injury
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10646/ol-barrett-jones-out-with-back-injury

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Barrett Jones is out for the rest of the preseason and likely beyond because of back surgery, coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Sunday afternoon.

"Barrett is going to be weeks away," Fisher said. "Barrett has had some minor surgery on his back so he will not participate in the preseason. Beyond that, I don't know."

Late last week, we covered the Rams' lack of experienced depth behind the starting offensive line with mention of Jones' back injury. At the time, I was told that Jones would be out for "awhile." Anytime a back surgery is involved, it's probably best not to take a guess at a possible return. In fact, it's probably best not to count on Jones returning at all at this season.

Jones' injury, combined with rookie Demetrius Rhaney's knee injury suffered in practice last week leaves the Rams thin at center moving forward. Fisher said Rhaney had an MRI on the knee and the results were better than expected, though Rhaney is also going to miss a chunk of time.

"We got good news," Fisher said. "We suspected the worst but got good news. He has no ligament damage whatsoever. The cartilage looks good, solid, no cartilage damage. He's got a severe bone bruise I guess I would classify it and he's going to be out for some time. These things typically take time.

"I can't tell you whether it's going to be four weeks or six weeks but I would not expect him back within the four week time period."

Without Jones and Rhaney, the Rams have turned to versatile lineman Mike Person to provide center insurance. Scott Wells is working as the starter and Tim Barnes remains solid as the top backup but Person worked with the third team offense in the middle against Green Bay on Saturday. Person also played left tackle and left guard in the game, playing all 71 offensive snaps in the game.

While the Rams don't have to make any snap decisions on Rhaney or Jones, they did lose running back Isaiah Pead to a torn ACL and will likely have a roster spot open to replace him. That spot could theoretically go to an offensive lineman.

"I think we are good right now," Fisher said. "We've got depth, we've got flexibility. We're going to look. This is a time you typically continue to evaluate the bottom half of your roster and watch the waiver wire and we'll make room with Isaiah's spot. If somebody is out there we'll consider it but we're not looking to replace position for a position."

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
FML
this is the worst news to me this whole off season as training camp and forward is concerned. Hell either way he'd be decent OL depth if we place him on the designated to return list or IR him. Either way it's a win if you ask me. I see him someday performing and being our starter at G or especially center. Remember this is probably Wells last season and only Jones' 2nd year in a 4 year contract. Haha would be nice if he started next year and got good production in year 4 and we could take up the 5th year option on him. I could defiantly see that happening.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
My mancrush!

Harkey, you damn well better stay healthy, you're all I have left!

Anyways... any details on the surgery? I've heard he could be IR-Designated to Return, so perhaps there's some thought he'll be rehabbed after 8 weeks?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as I like him - I just don't see him as the IR - Designated To Return guy. You don't use that for a back injury, unless it's a star player. Otherwise, you save it for a starter or key backup, NOT for a player who has not really contributed in game situations. Almost certainly, he's going on IR unless his back surgery was minor and they really believe he'll be back and ready to contribute in a month or so. And of course, he can't do most weight lifting while recuperating from back surgery.

A55VA6

Legend
I just hope he doesn't turn into a Matt Daniels. Alot of potential but constantly injured.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Two things about his injuries folks have brought up.

1) he played on that Lisfranc injury in the National Championship game and played well. His recovery was very much on track and his mobility was very good.

2) We don't know the details of the back surgery, but minor does mean minor. Especially because of what lineman do, now that he's so much stronger after a year in an NFL weight room and really shed some of that fat and re shaped his body, his new carriage (how he carries his weight) may have revealed a minor bone defect. Like a spur on a vertebrae that never bothered him before, but with his new carriage, without intervention, it would lead to significant degeneration (happened to me with my elbow). Whatever it is, it will heal. Point is that for normally conservative NFL teams to openly contemplate his return in 8 weeks is good news. If there were any doubt at all, we'd be told when they'd figured it out, which might not be until final cut down day.

Lastly, let's not forget that this is a guy who only went low because of his foot injury, not because he wasn't one of the most highly decorated offensive linemen in college football history. Did he need a year for his foot to really heal properly? Yep. Did he need a year in an NFL weight room? Yep. All true. But the guy is wicked smart. He graduated with a degree in Accounting in 3 years while on the Alabama football player's schedule which leaves about 30 mins a day for academics. While winning awards for on field play, then got his Masters in a year while winning more.

If there were EVER a guy you want to give every chance to, it's a super smart, very tough, dedicated OL like Barrett Jones. Hell, Jones hasn't even had as many chances as Pead, has WAAAAY more upside and if he catches just one break, will be our starting center for the next ten years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams need to save that IR/designation for a scenario where a key player goes down(like TJ Mac last year). Using it on Jones would be pretty foolish.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Blue font?

Get him back healthy next year and let him fight it out for a spot.

No. I am biased. I never liked the pick. A bad back and an arthritic foot are two big negatives for any athlete, and moreso for an NFL offensive lineman.

Plus the back issue could easily be directly related to the Lis Franc injury. If Jones is compensating for a weakness in his foot he could have an imbalance that put his back out. People have slipped discs because of such things.

I just don't believe he ever pans out.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I may be wrong, but there's no need to burn the IR/designated for return. They could put him on the PUP and after 8 weeks evaluate and IR him then, right? Thereby saving IR/return for someone else, and allowing him to come out and practice with the team when he's feeling healthy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I may be wrong, but there's no need to burn the IR/designated for return. They could put him on the PUP and after 8 weeks evaluate and IR him then, right? Thereby saving IR/return for someone else, and allowing him to come out and practice with the team when he's feeling healthy.
He is not eligible for the PUP list, as he practiced this year. The PUP list is for players who are not able to , and have not participated in training camp.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He is not eligible for the PUP list, as he practiced this year. The PUP list is for players who are not able to , and have not participated in training camp.
I know you've been less than a fan of Jones at times; do you think he'll be back in a Rams uniform at any point this year or even next?