Babe Laufenberg: Cheap-shot Rams were the Instigators

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Babe Laufenberg: Cheap-shot Rams were instigators of Tuesday’s camp brawl
By Babe Laufenberg
Email- brandonlaufenberg40@gmail.com

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...were-instigators-of-tuesdays-camp-brawl.html/

Special contributor Babe Laufenberg, a Dallas Cowboys radio color analyst and former NFL quarterback, answered questions in a chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights:

Question: I heard a lot of comments that the Cowboys got their butts kicked in the fight yesterday. Maybe that’s true but in the video I saw, the Rams took quite a few shots at Cowboy players who had their backs to them. Not saying the Cowboys were innocent in the whole melee but from your view didn’t the Rams escalate the fight by taking a bunch of cheapshots?

Babe Laufenberg: Yes. A bunch of cheap shots. I understand they were not fighting by the “Marquess of Queensbury Rules” but they were cheap shots. Just watch the video of Jared Cook (#89) blindsiding Randy Gregory. Or Eugene Sims (#97) blind siding Ben Gardner. Throw Brandon Washington (#70) in there, and you have some real punk shots being delivered. The Rams have not had a winning season in the last 11 years. It looked like they were trying to take 11 years of frustration out on the Cowboys. If you are looking for instigators, you would need to point your collective fingers at the Rams. Just way beyond the bounds of what takes place in an NFL practice. Cowboys linebacker Andrew Gachkar cut on a screen play (you NEVER go low in a practice) then Gregory was clipped low on the next play. Really, shame on the Rams. It certainly did not reflect well on the NFL and wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rams organization issue a public or private apology.

Question: Lot of brawls in these joint practices. Do you think they’re a good idea? Is is worth the risk of injury?

Babe Laufenberg: I have always believed they were a really good idea, but I may be “evolving” in that view (we used to “flip-flop” now we “evolve”) Yesterday was downright ugly, and it was a minor miracle that no one was seriously injured. Dez Bryant took a clean punch to the face with no helmet on. What if he breaks his jaw like Geno Smith? So you are always dealing in risk-reward, and I am not sure the risk now outweighs the reward.

Question: Fairly harsh words on your part on Twitter today. Rams had the dirtiest practice you’ve seen? Could you elaborate?

Babe Laufenberg: It was just so far out of the realm of what NFL football looks like. There is a certain practice tempo, and certain ways you go about your work so as not to injure another player. And the Rams violated those rules. They know it. And have I seen every camp practice in the NFL over the last 33 years? Obviously not. But it was the most egregious violation that i have personally witnessed. And I am at every practice. I truly hope this does not sound condescending, but I think anyone who has played or coached the NFL game would say the same thing. Just my opinion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

wow, funny how this guy only sees rams cheap shots when the video clearly shows they were retaliating to cowboys cheap shots.

and how funny was that video posted today with skip bayliss. he was almost crying about what those mean rams players did to his innocent, child like cowboys. do people seriously watch that show? c'mon, nobody could sit through that shit could they?

rdw

Pro Bowler
udSfNTy.gif

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Hey if you want to mix it up with the big boys be sure you can handle it.And of course this is what this clown was going to say he has to be around those Dallas players all year.The Cowboys got their ass kicked just like they did in the game last year only the refs couldn't save them this time.I hope we meet them in the playoffs without the refs helping them and kick their ass again.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
According to @Ramzee who was at the practice the fight started because Mason was getting knocked down repeatedly in non contact drills....I have known ramzee for quite a long time and he is not a honk that would make that up, he is pretty objective.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I didn't know there were rules in a fight. It's not like they picked up bricks lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I didn't know there were rules in a fight. It's not like they picked up bricks lol
Sure there are. Didn't you know?

In a brawl, you're supposed to pick someone you wanna hit, tap them on the shoulder and say, "I'm going to punch you somewhere in the facial area with my right hand, which will be balled up into a fist like so." Then the other guy's supposed to say (verbatim, or it's not clean), "Jolly good show. Let's proceed with the fisticuffs and may the better man emerge triumphant."

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Boohoo Babe Laufenberg (whoever the hell you are!)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I didn't like what Cook did on that video that they kept running on a loop, but then I saw another video of the same sequence, but it started earlier. That video showed Gregory taking run and cheap shotting a Ram, then Cook came flying in and did the same to Gregory. Not sure why that video was not being shown unless the Cowboys organization provided the video that was being shown over and over.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I am absolutely shocked and stunned that a Cowboys blogger says that. I certainly never saw that coming from 2 miles away.

Hey Jerry, how do you like your bestie Stan now? You thought you were just doing PR, and now your team got their asses kicked. And Stan still got his effin PR.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boohoo Babe Laufenberg (whoever the hell you are!)

6a00e54f7fc4c5883301b7c6d28ad5970b-pi

Now you have a good idea who he is. He was a QB at Indiana in 1981. Pretty good one too. I think the name Babe is pretty funny.

To be fair, here is a more current picture of 'Babe' shortly after sucking Troy Aikman's dick.

39c05f765dc190c47c_q3m6b5ttn.jpg

Judging by the look on Troy's face ole Babe is quite good at it.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I 'd say Babe and the Cowgirls are SOFT! :LOL:

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not one cowboy *sskisser has mentioned the cheap shot on Brian Quick who HAD a no hit cap on (bright yellow), like a penalty flag, its easy to see. as for dez bryant, next time 1.) dont run across a whole field for something that doesnt involve you directly and 2.) if you put your helmet on, leave it on. that way you wont lose your jewels.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are many examples of back up QB coming in and playing great.
Like the Cowboys Clint Longley, the Dolphins Scott Mitchell, the Patriots Matt Casell etc
And then there is Babe Laufenberg...
I recall when the Cowboys were starting to turn around the franchise and had a young Troy Aikman, they only needed to win like 1 of their last 3 games. But Troy Aikman go hurt and enter Babe Laufenberg
I think he had like a negative QB rating in those games and made the likes of Chris Chandler, Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill look like all world QB.
As for what he wrote, I couldnt get past the "Babe Laufenberg:" part....