Attention Members

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Am I going to get banned now for stating my opinion?

That's the only thing that really worries me, I've seen comments like this more lately. I understand the desire to just stop these types of posts, especially when some people get really amped up over it, nobody wants that on the board. I'd hate for people to be getting banned over things like this. It's just something that caught my eye over the past few days. I know how tricky it is though, so I'm sure most were warranted.

I did have a post get deleted in the vent thread asking if it were true you could gear vikings fans over Rams fans in the dome. I don't know if it was from a mod or if people marked it as inappropriate (which I'm not sure why, as I wasn't bashing on Rams fans), but it was perplexing to see it gone.

V3

Hall of Fame
We're here to talk about the Rams.

Not bad mouth them.

We're all fans of this team and want them to do well. Constant negative talk accomplishes nothing but create bad blood.

Criticism (when it's warranted) and disagreement is different, but nonetheless is welcome.

Oh, and I really don't care what "rap" I get. I will never crap on my team. 0-16 or 16-0.

Have to disagree with that. I've had to take several month long breaks from this place more than once because of how it can get towards people that don't think the Rams are doing everything right.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's the only thing that really worries me, I've seen comments like this more lately. I understand the desire to just stop these types of posts, especially when some people get really amped up over it, nobody wants that on the board. I'd hate for people to be getting banned over things like this. It's just something that caught my eye over the past few days. I know how tricky it is though, so I'm sure most were warranted.

I did have a post get deleted in the vent thread asking if it were true you could gear vikings fans over Rams fans in the dome. I don't know if it was from a mod or if people marked it as inappropriate (which I'm not sure why, as I wasn't bashing on Rams fans), but it was perplexing to see it gone.

The key is to not take it personally. Sometimes the mods have to take out the trash. Maybe a few comments that wouldn't have been considered before are treated more sternly because there have been so damn many they have to make fast decisions. We all know you as a good member here and I would guess that your post would have been ignored some other week.

This is one cool place and i support them 100%.

Alan

Legend
There is a small window of opportunity between when my afternoon nap ends at 1530 and my wife gets home at 1535. My dance card is pretty much filled up during the rest of the day. :LOL: I expect my wife (may I be struck by lightning if I'm lying to you honey) to be struck by lightning any day now so I'll let you know. :snicker:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I am a bit concerned about censorship as well. Sure it is your site and you can do what you wish but you will get a bad rap from other rams fans for this censorship. When you start going down that road where does it stop? So no one can then say anything "negative" about the rams? It must all be unicorns and fancy flowers and dreams of superbowl titles? C'mon man. There is a way to have these discussion without censorship. If people can not converse without attacking or getting personal that is one matter. Completely putting on blinders and practicing censorship is quite another. Just my 2 cents. Am I going to get banned now for stating my opinion?

If you can state your case without attacking anyone, or without incessantly beating a dead topic that has no other constructive points to add, then you won't get banned. If you have a point to make, and articulately make that point...I'll be on your side if action is taken against you.

My advice to people that feel wronged for having posts deleted, or for getting banned because certain things aren't allowed here that muck up the PD forums is to choose your battles. I know maturity flies out the window sometimes when you post, but collect yourself just a hair before deciding to hit "post reply".

Oh, and my rule #1 is don't post drunk....ask @Robocop how that works out for you :whistle:.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The key is to not take it personally. Sometimes the mods have to take out the trash. Maybe a few comments that wouldn't have been considered before are treated more sternly because there have been so damn many they have to make fast decisions. We all know you as a good member here and I would guess that your post would have been ignored some other week.

This is one cool place and i support them 100%.

I never take the internet personally, I have bigger things to worry about.;)

It was just something that I noticed. For all I know it was a wrong click. Or 5 peole were really offended by my. Bradford avatar.

I understand the spirit of the rule, and will respect it, but I don't agree with this.

I often look at the locations of many of the users on this forum, and it is a hodge podge of locales. Maryland, Vegas, Florida, California, Missouri, Texas, New York; the list goes on and on.

The team belongs to the fans first and foremost but the franchise, at least for the time being, belongs to the city of Saint Louis. A city that has been maligned by poor ownership, poor football, and poor spirits. We had a team stolen from us in the 80's only to turn around and steal a team ourselves; a team that, quite frankly, in many facets only came here to spite a fan base and a city (LA) that, whether through negligence or apathy, would not acquiesce to what the team and ownership at the time demanded.

Saint Louis professional football is an interesting cocktail, made of equal parts die hard enthusiasm for the game and sport in general (check the national TV ratings; whether it be Winter Classic Hockey Games, World Series Baseball Games when the Cardinals have already been eliminated, World Cup Soccer, and the out of market national NFL games), negativity and pessimism having been witness to almost 5 decades of mediocre, below average football if you combine the football Cardinals and the Rams, and paranoia that around every corner and bend of uncertainty, another charlatan can, at any moment, swoop in and tear our team out from under us. It is a bitter cocktail, that was sweetened for a few magnificent years, only to leave a slow, painful burn that threatens to burn even worse if the team leaves.

The point is, that if you want to run this forum as a football, product on Sundays and offseason talk, and only those things than that is fine. But there are 2 separate parts that make up the team and it's identity: The Blue and Gold Rams logo and the Saint Louis that defines its culture and its history, albeit a shorter one.

Some of you, hell most of you, can probably say that if the team moves from Saint Louis to the left coast or even to foggy London town or wherever, that your loyalties will never waver. I applaud and admire that trait. But it is easier to be objective when you are a fan of a team with no skin, relatively speaking, in the fight. Saint Louis Rams Fans, at least this one typing this ill fated rant, are not strong enough to handle losing a second team in as many decades.

In Maryland and Vegas and Flordia and California and Texas, the horns are all that matters, and wherever the pushpin falls is frankly irrelevant. To us Missourians, however, the scripted Saint Louis fills us with civic pride and honor. To know we are part of the unique fraternity of towns with NFL teams, and to know that on Sundays we share a unique bond with the Kansas Cities and the Chicagos of the world is to be validated, in a sense.

Again, I will respect the rule because I appreciate and value the forum and what it provides, but it is near impossible to ask many of those here to separate the product on Sundays with the heart ache and paranoia that the unknown represents to us as members of a community. I love this team as much as any in the world (except for, maybe, the Blues), but I love my city first, and for all of its short comings and warts and problems and tribulation, it is still my home and I am part of its community, and I will do anything to preserve its dignity and its identity.

And that's completely fine, but having a tooth and claw battle with someone who doesn't agree with that point of view doesn't achieve anything except for creating animosity between posters and when that spills out of "will they won't they" threads it potentially ruins the entire board.

If by banning a bullshit article like Bernie's or two can achieve avoid that then I'm all for it, as I think you are (y).

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm gonna have to voice my disagreement with this. It looks like censorship, and an unwillingness to engage in debate. The forum is a place for people to talk about the Rams, the NFL, life in General (off topic forum) and Rams football (slightly different to Rams!?). One issue concerning the team is surely a doubt over where this franchise is going to play in the future. The lease on the stadium is up, we've got a losing franchise and falling attendances and the league talking about either L.A. or London. Owners are using these locations (amongst others) as a ransom note to hold their cities hostage to get a new stadium etc. These are real issues and ignoring them is like ignoring rul an 800 lbs gorilla in the room.

I agree with others that the basic rules of the forum should be respect between members, not insulting each other for disagreeing, and not trying to spread dissent or discord amongst our own fanbase - criticising the post and not the poster etc.

If there is a discussion going on about moving the Rams out of St. Louis, and the discussion becomes one where the mods need to step in then by all means - go for it - lock the thread etc, ban trolls etc.

All I am saying is that this forum is great because its basically self-moderating. We don't tolerate trolls and we don't feed them here. I love it that way. I don't want this board to be a cool-aid drinkin' homer's only forum though.

I respect Prime, Phx Ram, X and all the mods and senior guys here, but the idea of just saying "we will no longer mention topic A or B" and expecting it to go away because of it is misguided, likely to be ineffective or even counter-productive and bad for the board.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
So I'm curious.
Are user names that incorporate Los Angeles and the Rams considered inappropriate or divisive?
Should the members be asked to change their names to avoid any hard feelings?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm gonna have to voice my disagreement with this. It looks like censorship, and an unwillingness to engage in debate. The forum is a place for people to talk about the Rams, the NFL, life in General (off topic forum) and Rams football (slightly different to Rams!?). One issue concerning the team is surely a doubt over where this franchise is going to play in the future. The lease on the stadium is up, we've got a losing franchise and falling attendances and the league talking about either L.A. or London. Owners are using these locations (amongst others) as a ransom note to hold their cities hostage to get a new stadium etc. These are real issues and ignoring them is like ignoring rul an 800 lbs gorilla in the room.

I agree with others that the basic rules of the forum should be respect between members, not insulting each other for disagreeing, and not trying to spread dissent or discord amongst our own fanbase - criticising the post and not the poster etc.

If there is a discussion going on about moving the Rams out of St. Louis, and the discussion becomes one where the mods need to step in then by all means - go for it - lock the thread etc, ban trolls etc.

All I am saying is that this forum is great because its basically self-moderating. We don't tolerate trolls and we don't feed them here. I love it that way. I don't want this board to be a cool-aid drinkin' homer's only forum though.

I respect Prime, Phx Ram, X and all the mods and senior guys here, but the idea of just saying "we will no longer mention topic A or B" and expecting it to go away because of it is misguided, likely to be ineffective or even counter-productive and bad for the board.

It's a problem without a good answer. It is a current topic and, should news break, we will ALL care one way or another. But it also has a LONG history of causing discord among otherwise friendly members.

When faced with a problem like this, they chose to err on the side of caution and just leave the topic off the board for now. There is no perfect answer.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd really like to see a thread about the Rams moving in to the Win column

Alan

Legend
flv drawing from memory:
4068706711_509d748883.jpg
That looks just like the paint job on PT's old van from back in the day. Obvious hot chick magnet.

JTurner

I can assure you that those that recently got banned were not banned for insulting anyone or attacking any other user. They actually posted exact copies of what they posted talking about their displeasure with game one and venting how the season was over before it even began and they got banned. Other members need to know what is up and it truly is no way to treat other loyal rams fans. I guess there is no venting after any loss anymore. I understand the need to ban or warn members who personally attack or call other members names etc. People should be able to debate the merits of Bradford as a good qb to one another without fear of being banned. I have quit on other boards because of the censorship and disagreeing with a mod on who we should draft. But that is okay. Like I said, your little club and only those who agree with the mods then are welcome according to this logic. It is what it is. I have read the bashes about other sites in discussions here and would only assume that because of the many who just got banned it will be a topic on other boards about this site as well now.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Two things from my two cents.

One, besides the censorship aspect which I'll avoid commenting on (even though I just did), if there is news but it doesn't have a firm "Rams are leaving" content, how about a "vent thread" every now and again. I like that feature from the Mods.

Second, if I was to say something about the Rams setting up shop in So Cal would that be banned? I'm not talking about them moving, just setting up shop. How does that fit in? Again, not the intent to lead others down a certian path.

Thanks for your time,

I was going to hold off on asking about that until the Rams to London talk starts to heat up.

Just sent a Tweet to Bernie, so when you see him mention a source with information on the situation (or whatever the saying is) you'll know it's me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I am a bit concerned about censorship as well. Sure it is your site and you can do what you wish but you will get a bad rap from other rams fans for this censorship. When you start going down that road where does it stop? So no one can then say anything "negative" about the rams? It must all be unicorns and fancy flowers and dreams of superbowl titles? C'mon man. There is a way to have these discussion without censorship. If people can not converse without attacking or getting personal that is one matter. Completely putting on blinders and practicing censorship is quite another. Just my 2 cents. Am I going to get banned now for stating my opinion?
That's the biggest red herring out there regarding this site. Everybody can be negative. It doesn't affect your membership to be negative. What affects your membership is when you take it beyond negativity and into bashing.

"Tavon Austin is a bust, Snisher is an idiot for drafting him, and Quick is a moron."

"I don't think Tavon can last in this league, and I had reservations about them drafting him to begin with. I just don't see the fit or the physicality I'd like out of a receiver. I wouldn't have done it that way and would have waited for Patterson at least. And Brian Quick, though touted as a project coming in, is taking longer than I expected to grasp the mental aspect of the game. I don't know if he'll ever get there, but as a Rams fan I hope he does."

Same opinion. Which one of them do you think is going to open up dialogue, and which do you think is going to put people on the defensive?

It doesn't get any more simple than that.

You've got 6 or 7 posts now just talking about the censorship of this site. Maybe talk about the team and see if you can do it like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.