Article: We should expect Kyle Shanahan is the next coach of LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how long before we start hearing about actual interviews. Obviously after the season is over but... Anyone remember the timing after Spags was cut loose?

My guess is that they'll start to requesting interviews right after the regular season ends.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
No on Kyle as HC. Yes as an OC though. Rams just don't have a very good track record with rookie HC's.
Be a good 1--2 if Rams could get his dad as HC and Kyle as OC.

This. I see reasons why he's a great OC, but we have first hand experience with Linehan (and to a lesser extent, Martz) that being a great coordinator doesn't equate to being HC material.

The only coordinator I want coaching the Rams is Matt Patricia. He's highly intelligent, has coached both sides of the ball, and seems to be Belichick's understudy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My guess is that they'll start to requesting interviews right after the regular season ends.
Probably right. I hope you're right. I'd like to see who they actually pull in for interviews. So I guess that means whoever is on our short list must lose as early as possible.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Probably right. I hope you're right. I'd like to see who they actually pull in for interviews. So I guess that means whoever is on our short list must lose as early as possible.

Patriots lose in the divisional round and we get our guy in Patricia early. Win-win if I've ever seen it!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Patriots lose in the divisional round and we get our guy in Patricia early. Win-win if I've ever seen it!
Boy howdy. I don't know much about Patricia really but the first part sounds outstanding!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No on Kyle as HC. Yes as an OC though. Rams just don't have a very good track record with rookie HC's.
Be a good 1--2 if Rams could get his dad as HC and Kyle as OC.

Track record that matters is the owner running the show. Stan made one hire and it was Fish the vet "safe" option. I suspect he's going to be willing to go out on a limb this time IF the rockstar types are outta reach.

Oh and radio today was all over Shanny Jr as head coach with his dad coming in with an advisory role. I'd be fine with all that provided it's truly an advisory position and not GM.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/14/matt-ryan-kyle-shanahan-would-be-a-great-head-coach/

Matt Ryan: Kyle Shanahan would be a great head coach
Posted by Josh Alper on December 14, 2016, 6:29 AM EST
489799812-e1481714946851.jpg

After years of treating offensive football like it is the Ebola virus, the Rams have fired Jeff Fisher and many people think that they will opt for a coach with an offensive background when they hire his replacement.

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has already been asked about potential interest in the job and Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will probably be in the same position the next time he meets the media. He’s been on interview lists in the past and currently pilots the offense for the league’s highest-scoring team so he’s likely to get more interest this offseason.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan would prefer to keep working with Shanahan, but thinks a team would be making a good hire if they do force Atlanta to change coordinators.

“Oh yeah, I think so,” Ryan said on 680 The Fan, via the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “I think whenever he does get an opportunity, he’ll do a great job. I hope it’s not for awhile because we’ve got a good thing going on. Whenever he gets his opportunity, he’ll do a great job. I think he’s a good leader. I think he’s got a good feel for talent evaluation and getting the guys that he wants to make it work for him. I think if he ever gets that chance, he’ll do a great job.”

With the Falcons on track to win the NFC South but not get a bye, Shanahan may not be immediately available for an interview with the Rams or anyone else. If the Falcons were to win a playoff opener, Shanahan would then have to decide if he’d interview before the next game or wait until Atlanta’s season is complete before thinking about next steps.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They can hire literally anyone, and I'll get it right. ;)

You throw enough darts and you'll eventually cover the entire dartboard.

Yeah, you threw out about five candidates and they are basically the same five or so that everyone else has.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
It sure looks really good when you have a Telvin Coleman and Devonte Freeman and Julio Jones.

We are going to need to aquire some talent folks. A coach is only part of the equation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kyle is on top of the list for me. I want the offense to look like it actually belongs in the NFL, and not in high school. Shanahan believes in discipline. He can fall back on his Dad for advice but I don't know about hiring him to be on the staff.

Keep Snead for at least another year, maybe two. It will let them see how he works with a different coach. It would also keep the ball rolling through the limbo period until the coach is hired. He can keep the draft ball rolling, and be on top of the free agent market, all primed and ready to update the new head coach. Plus with a new coach comes roster changes and Snead's knack for finding UDFA's could come in handy. If Shanahan likes what he does after the year, extend him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It sure looks really good when you have a Telvin Coleman and Devonte Freeman and Julio Jones.

We are going to need to aquire some talent folks. A coach is only part of the equation.

Right?? Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Devon te Freeman and Telvin Colman could probably make any offense look successful.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes, for the "official" interviews, haha. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some "clandestine" conversation happening already.

On a side note, does Shanny Jr need to get permission from the Falcons to interview with other teams or is his contract up after this season?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If the Rams have interest in Patricia, wouldn't they be able to interview him in the bye week?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right?? Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Devon te Freeman and Telvin Colman could probably make any offense look successful.

Frankly, I'd take Gurley and Benny over their combo. Julio is incredible, but they kicked our ass without him. Taylor Gabriel, a guy the Browns cut, is playing well there. Ryan is a great QB, but he's become an even better player under Shanahan.

If the Rams have interest in Patricia, wouldn't they be able to interview him in the bye week?

Yes.

Yes, for the "official" interviews, haha. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some "clandestine" conversation happening already.

On a side note, does Shanny Jr need to get permission from the Falcons to interview with other teams or is his contract up after this season?

If he's interviewing for a head coach job, no.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If it is a O.C I like Shanny. Haley and Mc Daniel in that order. 1 and 2 are close.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I know I've seen some comments about the elder Shanny as his son's OC/Assistant head coach but what about him in the front office running football operations with Snead on his 2 year extension as the GM?

This sounds like something I could see happening.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We all got jacked about Spags. (or most did) And that didn't work out.

We all got jacked about Fisher. (or most did) And that didn't work out.
yep....jacked...mac...I didn't think Spags was gonna do much...but improve us. I thought Fish could get us to the playoffs, then I saw what Titans fans said about him...figured he do a Dick Vermeil and really change up his MO...
Lets grab a young guy with some fresh thoughts...not a old guy looking for a retirement nest egg...

Ram65

Legend
Doe Shanahan have a twin brother to call the offense plays and be the OC?

Is Mike Shanahan that good to be in the Rams front office?

Yes Kyle Shanahan seems like the hot guy right now. I'm wondering how well he can make the move to Head Coach. He brings in lot's of pluses but what about the minuses? Who would be his OC and DC? Will he pick the players, run the coaching staff and call the plays too.? That's to put on a coach that is 37 only years old plate.