Article: We should expect Kyle Shanahan is the next coach of LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Team needs Discipline. Needs an Offensive Identity. A way to keep the Current Defense with more press coverage and stout run defense.
This may make some people mad, but I think the Team, as a whole, needs to make-up it's mind what it's "Identity" is! I think it is a Team built on "Defense" that's our ID! We need two, Fresh-Fast-Fearsome-( Healthy!)- DE's!! LB's that can take on TE's, and another Big 'Shut-Down' CB! And Safeties that can stay Healthy!
Don't get me wrong, we need an Offensive identity! Bring in someone like Norv Turner or Kyle Shannahan as OC! But we need a Head Coach who can game plan and come up with innovative schemes determined by the weekly opponent! Someone Like Seban or Urban!
BUT WE NEED TO DECIDE WHAT OUR TEAM IDENTITY IS FIRST! I think it's "A Nasty-D-Everyone-Doesn't-Want-To Play!!"First!!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
This may make some people mad, but I think the Team, as a whole, needs to make-up it's mind what it's "Identity" is! I think it is a Team built on "Defense" that's our ID! We need two, Fresh-Fast-Fearsome-( Healthy!)- DE's!! LB's that can take on TE's, and another Big 'Shut-Down' CB! And Safeties that can stay Healthy!
Don't get me wrong, we need an Offensive identity! Bring in someone like Norv Turner or Kyle Shannahan as OC! But we need a Head Coach who can game plan and come up with innovative schemes determined by the weekly opponent! Someone Like Seban or Urban!
BUT WE NEED TO DECIDE WHAT OUR TEAM IDENTITY IS FIRST! I think it's "A Nasty-D-Everyone-Doesn't-Want-To Play!!"First!!
We won't get Kyle Shanahan as OC. Why would he come here for a lateral move and, give up the talent he has in ATL for what we got.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
No on Kyle as HC. Yes as an OC though. Rams just don't have a very good track record with rookie HC's.
Be a good 1--2 if Rams could get his dad as HC and Kyle as OC.
Good point. I think what some people are missing is that it takes a different set of qualities to be a head coach overseeing a team than an offensive or defensive coordinator. Just because someone is a good coordinator does not translate into a great head coach AND you lose their best quality of focusing on coordinating the offense or defense.,I'm glad fisher is gone but he would have been a better coach if he RELINQUISHED.. and let Martz, turner, Shanahan etc BE the coordinator. Personell is a different issue. Sam Bradford had to learn so many different schemes under so many different coordinators. I think the last 3 years, Fisher was trying to avoid that by maintaining Shottys system under his tree of coordinators on the Rams. No matter who ran it, it appeared unimaginative and we did not have good personnel. I think what we REALLY NEED IS A TOP FLIGHT OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR AND A BETTER SCHEME. Hopefully the new coach will bring that with him!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We won't get Kyle Shanahan as OC. Why would he come here for a lateral move and, give up the talent he has in ATL for what we got.
I don't think he would! But he's not my 1st choice for a HC either!(y)
I here he doesn't get along well with the Players,:unsure: and any HC needs his players to want to play for him!
I have a Long List of Candidates for the HC Job!:D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't care if our new HC is a defense guy or an offensive guy. They more than likely won't be calling the plays anyway.
What's important is that the new HC hires the right coordinators to get the job done.
Guy's that fit the talent we already have, without having to go through a complete overhaul.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hey Coach.Who you liking for the HC gig ?

Kyle Shanahan with a little help from the old man, if David Shaw does not want to go to the NFL.
usatsi_7504009.jpg

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think what some people are missing is that it takes a different set of qualities to be a head coach overseeing a team than an offensive or defensive coordinator. Just because someone is a good coordinator does not translate into a great head coach

don't most hc come up from coordinator jobs.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Our horrible offense was on display last night for the nation to see. I think it needs so much fixing a coach like Harbaugh or Gruden will definitely say no thanks to this HC job. I think we gotta go the up and coming OC or DC route like Shanahan, McDaniels, Cooter, Patricia, etc

I agree that performance last night would put off some candidates but a great performance by goff and gurley in the next game could change that

Ram65

Legend
Maybe, Josh McDaniels has learned from the past. it's been a number of years since he was with the Rams. He may not have had success in Denver as a head coach but he did get experience. I won't count him out just yet. Being a head coach is difference than being a coordinator. The Patsies have created a plug and play offense around Brady. I would like to see the Rams build a plug and play offense around Goff.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
don't most hc come up from coordinator jobs.
Probably ... but often they fail because they lack the different qualities necessary for a head coach AND lose their focus to do the day to day isolated coordinating duties. (Mike Martz) I would rather have an inspirational head coach that had experience HEAD COACHING.. (management, organizational) WITH a great philosophy for O and D. Fisher had that EXCEPT his offense philosophy and ability to pick and develope QBs was terrible. For instance.. if fisher was HC and let MIKE Martz have full reign of offense and Greg Williams full reign of Defense (with a few better draft selections) I think he would be a winning coach for the rams right now. Now that I think about it, I wonder actually how good Vince young might have been with a different coach

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
What if it was a HC in the form of Shanahan/ McDanielMcVay and a DC candidate say Kris Rashard from Seattle? I am not confident that the new HC would keep GW around just from his powerful association with JF.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably ... but often they fail because they lack the different qualities necessary for a head coach AND lose their focus to do the day to day isolated coordinating duties. (Mike Martz) I would rather have an inspirational head coach that had experience HEAD COACHING.. (management, organizational) WITH a great philosophy for O and D. Fisher had that EXCEPT his offense philosophy and ability to pick and develope QBs was terrible. For instance.. if fisher was HC and let MIKE Martz have full reign of offense and Greg Williams full reign of Defense (with a few better draft selections) I think he would be a winning coach for the rams right now. Now that I think about it, I wonder actually how good Vince young might have been with a different coach
So who do you suggest

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
I wonder how long before we start hearing about actual interviews. Obviously after the season is over but... Anyone remember the timing after Spags was cut loose?

My understanding is the off weekend before the Super Bowl is the start of talks.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

the only trouble with getting an experienced hc is they have either been fired for lack of production or retired (burned out lose of interest).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My understanding is the off weekend before the Super Bowl is the start of talks.

There are four initial dates for scheduling interviews:
1. Any time for the guys not currently employed in the NFL
2. After the end of the regular season for the guys on teams that didn't make the playoffs
3. During the Wild Card round for coaches who are on teams that have bye weeks
4. During the Divisional round for coaches who are on teams that didn't have bye weeks

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ask yourself why they didn't go hard after a guy like Boldin, who I was convinced could come in here and not only help us on the field but help our young wideouts to see how a real pro carries himself in preparations for gameday.
Only a guess Merl, but I'd think Bolden would prefer to go to a team he thought could reach the playoffs with a pretty decent QB....and wouldn't talk to the Rams. Just a guess....