Article: The Redemption of Josh McDaniels

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm fine with a young coach. You just have to vet him. Yea, you might pick the wrong guy. But you can easily to do that with an older and more experienced coach. You also might pick the right guy.

One guy who had a bad go of it as a head coach the first time around was Rob Chudzinski. But that was in Cleveland. As their OC he helped them to 10 wins and the dropped him after one year. Is he strictly an OC or did he just have to learn some things a la McDaniels.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm fine with a young coach. You just have to vet him. Yea, you might pick the wrong guy. But you can easily to do that with an older and more experienced coach. You also might pick the right guy.

The Rams have not been to lucky with them in recent years. Lineman and Spagnolo come to mind. It can be a real gamble. Number one on my list is Kyle Shanahan. He seems like the closest assistant to being ready to be a head coach, plus he grew up around a successful head coach. He has a disciplined style too.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Knowshon was a bust. He was drafted at #12 overall, his career only lasted 6 years, and he only had one 1000+ yard rushing season. He was an average HB taken in the top 15. That's a bust. And Beadles was cut by the Jaguars because he was a below average OG.

McDaniels ran two drafts in Denver. He had 4 first round picks and 10 total picks in the first 3 rounds over those two drafts. DeMaryius Thomas and Eric Decker were the only quality starters he came away with. DeMaryius was the only player he drafted who started on the Broncos Super Bowl team. And both Thomas and Decker broke out after McDaniels was fired.

So no, it is not accurate to say that some of the players he drafted were big reasons Denver won a Super Bowl. He drafted only one player who had a major impact on that team.

Let's not act like McDaniels was easy to work with. He managed to pee pee off a number of people in a very short time-span. Which is the biggest problem with him.

No, Kyle Orton didn't out-produce Cutler and was a clear downgrade. In fact, Denver specifically hired McDaniels to turn Cutler into an elite QB. Instead, McDaniels tried to trade Cutler and bring in Matt Cassel. Which is one more reason why I don't want him here. Would rather not have McDaniels come in and try to chase Goff off so he can acquire Garoppolo.

Yes, Brandon Lloyd led the league in receiving yards...on a 4 win team.

Pete Carroll went 27-21 (9-7 average) in 3 years with the Patriots (his last NFL HC job before the Seahawks). He went 98-19 with USC in college. He's hardly comparable to McDaniels. McDaniels failed with the Rams after leaving Denver. He didn't look good again until he got back to Belichick and Brady, who made him look good the first time.

Hard pass on McDaniels. He's basically the NFL's version of Lane Kiffin.

A guy failing also can be because he's not capable of doing the job.

I'd be very disappointed if he was our pick. I'd hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
If you go back and look at it, Denver never initiated trade talks, they just did what any good organization would do and listen to the offer. In typical Cutler fashion, he was miffed and demanded a trade once he heard.

McDaniels got pretty good run out of Orton, which is pretty impressive for a rookie HC.
I'm not enamored with McDaniels, but compared to the list of possible/likely names out there right now, I'd slot him in at #2 maybe #3 at worst.

…..

Legend
DeMaryius Thomas and Eric Decker were the only quality starters he came away with.

hmmm...Recievers....exactly where the Rams have faltered.

disclaimer ....despite the above, McDaniel's would be a disappointing hire to me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good read, thanks for sharing I'd love to see more about the other guys when you find it @Merlin

I like the spiritual aspect of his life and that he as learned a lot of lessons and makes note of them. Love the idea that he is putting his family in a higher position in his life and that he's able to separate from the job. Great lessons that everyone should incorporate into their life.

I really hated the way he ditched the Rams and think if he had stayed the team would have produced much better once they talent started being rebuilt. Who knows if Fisher ever get hired if McD and Spags work together on a rebuild.

tbux

Rookie
His offense would be a very good fit for Goff. I also like HCs in their 2nd go around. BB good example. He is my 3rd choice and would like the idea. Tavon also would flourish in that offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.all22.com/new-england-p...fensive-coordinator-josh-mcdaniels-head-coach

View: https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/808409030800670724

The Rams likely would be interested in having McDaniels groom rookie quarterback Jared Goff and running back Todd Gurley, and he was the Rams’ offensive coordinator in 2011.

When asked about possibly returning to a head coaching position earlier this season, McDaniels was coy.

“Look, I’ve said it before and I will say it again, I definitely would love to be a head coach again,” McDaniels said last month. “There’s only 32 of those in the world. Those are opportunities that don’t come along very often and if you would ever to be so fortunate and blessed to have another opportunity to do it, and for myself it would be a second time, it would be an opportunity that I would look forward to.”

http://nesn.com/2016/12/could-josh-mcdaniels-replace-jeff-fisher-as-rams-next-head-coach/

So with Fisher now out of the picture, what’s next for L.A.? Well, there are several coordinators around the NFL who could be in line to land head-coaching gigs, including one who coached against the Rams just a week ago: New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels’ future has been a popular topic of discussion this season, especially after he helped keep the Patriots’ offense humming during Tom Brady’s four-game Deflategate suspension. New England went 3-1 with Brady out of the picture and relatively untested replacements Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett taking snaps in his place.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported the Rams likely will attempt to interview McDaniels during the first week of the playoffs, which isn’t surprising. L.A.’s offense has been a disaster this season — running back Todd Gurley accurately called it “a middle-school offense” — and McDaniels’ experience and success on that side of the ball make him a natural candidate.

Now, would McDaniels want the Rams job? That likely depends on how he feels about Jared Goff, whom L.A. drafted first overall this year to be its quarterback of the future. The jury’s still out on Goff, who didn’t make his first NFL start until Week 11. But if he turns out to be an above-average pro, the Rams have the pieces in place at running back and on defense to return to relevancy sooner rather than later.

For what it’s worth, McDaniels has a history with the Rams, having spent the 2011 season as their offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach after flopping as a head coach in Denver. He went 11-17 win the Broncos before being fired midway through his second season. And whether or not the Rams gig is the one for him, McDaniels has made it clear he does want to give head-coaching another shot.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Idk...SERIOUSLY, JUST DON'T KNOW....With that said...
One guy who had a bad go of it as a head coach the first time around was Rob Chudzinski. But that was in Cleveland.
I heard a good interview today about Greg Schiano too....Mike Lombardi was speaking about the search. He said Demoff needs to find a football guy, and get the hell out of the way....It was on Skip & Shannon Show...I'll put the link up when they post it. I wonder, who the hell is Mike Lombardi? What has he done?

I like the spiritual aspect of his life and that he as learned a lot of lessons and makes note of them. Love the idea that he is putting his family in a higher position in his life and that he's able to separate from the job. Great lessons that everyone should incorporate into their life.
I wonder did he find spirituality before or after he was filming practices as a head coach? And yeah, he did that too...
http://www.denverpost.com/2010/11/27/broncos-videotape-scandal-results-in-fine-embarrassment/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engl...os-filmed-49ers-nfl-spygate-II-josh-mcdaniels

Now I do know...hell no...effin cheater...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Idk...SERIOUSLY, JUST DON'T KNOW....With that said...
I heard a good interview today about Greg Schiano too....Mike Lombardi was speaking about the search. He said Demoff needs to find a football guy, and get the hell out of the way....It was on Skip & Shannon Show...I'll put the link up when they post it. I wonder, who the hell is Mike Lombardi? What has he done?

I wonder did he find spirituality before or after he was filming practices as a head coach? And yeah, he did that too...
http://www.denverpost.com/2010/11/27/broncos-videotape-scandal-results-in-fine-embarrassment/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engl...os-filmed-49ers-nfl-spygate-II-josh-mcdaniels

Now I do know...hell no...effin cheater...

Mike Lombardi's claim to fame is working with Belichick in Cleveland and briefly in New England. He started as a scout in San Fran. In 1996 he was a special advisor to the Rams to help them find a new head coach. Lately he has been a sports writer and analyst.

I don't get what he means about Demoff needing to find a football guy and get out of the way. Fisher and Snead are football guys. It never seemed like Demoff interfered with the "football" stuff. Maybe he is trying to land another coach search gig?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hated the way he ditched the Rams and think if he had stayed the team would have produced much better once they talent started being rebuilt.
Well, you realize the Rams let him go right?

Josh isn't at the top of my list but I cant say I'd hate the move either.
I'm all for a 2nd chance on a young guy that learned his lessons

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
After reading the OP article my question is, how is this guy's "lovey-dovey, let's be pals with everyone" approach any different than Jeff Fisher's? These days I'm not in the mood for that type of coach. Give me an experienced head coach who will kick ass and take names. We can all be pals again after getting to the playoffs season after season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, you realize the Rams let him go right?

Josh isn't at the top of my list but I cant say I'd hate the move either.
I'm all for a 2nd chance on a young guy that learned his lessons
Yes I realize they did not stop him from leaving, too bad.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't get what he means about Demoff needing to find a football guy and get out of the way. Fisher and Snead are football guys. It never seemed like Demoff interfered with the "football" stuff.
He was describing a story...while at SF as a scout. And he said someone told him to only worry about the 8. The 8 elite teams in the league then...and he said there are still only 8 good franchises. It was interesting...but something about the whole culture is football guys, where Demoff is all cap...and he should have no say in who's hired...and how much control that person has. Basically, find a football guy, and Demoff shouldn't have any say...in any football decisions...not contracts, not personnel, definitely not which coaches are hired.
NOT UP yet
Skip & Shannon Undisputed 12/13/2016 Mike Lombardi
check youtube in a couple hours...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I want a game planner. I want a competent offense - I want our players put in an advantageous position out there in an offense that takes advantage of our talent, minimizes our weaknesses, and attacks the weaknesses of our opponents. The Patriots do that better than anyone and have for some time.

Give me Xs and Os over a tough attitude anyday.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Man, reading the responses all I can say is that almost everyone missed the point of the article. Man, I didn't like him much either, but I did spend the time a read it all.

The motherfreaker picked his spot last time. This is what he walked into in Denver:
Offense
QB Jay Cutler - Coming off of a Pro Bowl season at 25 years old
WR Brandon Marshall - Coming off of a Pro Bowl season at 24 years old
WR Eddie Royal - Coming off of a 91 catch 980 yard rookie season at 22 years old
TE Tony Scheffler - Coming off of a 40 catch 645 yard season at 25 years old
LT Ryan Clady - Coming off of a top tier rookie season at 22 years old
C Casey Wiegman - Coming off of a Pro Bowl season at 35 years old (played 3 more years after McDaniels was hired)
RG Chris Kuper - Considered one of the top 10 or so OGs in the NFL at 26 years old
RT Ryan Harris - Coming off of a solid season at 23 years old

Defense
DE Elvis Dumervil - Considered one of the league's better pass rushers and posted 17 sacks in McDaniels's first year at 25 years old
LB D.J. Williams - Considered one of the league's better MLBs at 26 years old
CB Champ Bailey - We all know who he was; at 30 years old; played for 5 more years after McDaniels was hired

Yes, the defense had a lot of holes and needed work. However, McDaniels was handed a talented offense. He opted to blow it up and ship out all the young talent (except Clady). He then used the draft capital he acquired on bust after bust.
And the post of the week goes to!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No they didn't stop him from leaving, they showed him the door. He was fired

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/56747/why-rams-let-mcdaniels-land-with-patriots

"firing McDaniels would have forced the Rams to pick up some of his salary. Letting McDaniels go to the Patriots means New England will assume all the financial burden for the one year remaining on McDaniels' contract with St. Louis.

Had McDaniels been fired, rules would have required his next NFL team to pay him a competitive wage, with the Rams picking up the difference. With the Patriots picking up the full tab, the Rams can commit the savings to their next staff. League rules would have prevented the Rams from extracting cash or draft choices from the Patriots for McDaniels; such exchanges are allowed only for head coaches and top executives."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After reading the OP article my question is, how is this guy's "lovey-dovey, let's be pals with everyone" approach any different than Jeff Fisher's? These days I'm not in the mood for that type of coach. Give me an experienced head coach who will kick ass and take names. We can all be pals again after getting to the playoffs season after season.

Well first off I would have him on my interview list. And from there your question is important, just like it's important to know that the guy has grown from the impetuous young guy who pi$$ed on the fire there in Denver into the coach the Rams are looking for.

None of us know that. My deal is not to go into this thing with too much bias and miss an opportunity to do this right. I have my favorites just like everyone else, but will a guy like Cooter or Shanny Jr (both of whom I like very much of the coordinator types) need to learn the same lessons McDaniels did? Maybe.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well first off I would have him on my interview list. And from there your question is important, just like it's important to know that the guy has grown from the impetuous young guy who pi$$ed on the fire there in Denver into the coach the Rams are looking for.

None of us know that. My deal is not to go into this thing with too much bias and miss an opportunity to do this right. I have my favorites just like everyone else, but will a guy like Cooter or Shanny Jr (both of whom I like very much of the coordinator types) need to learn the same lessons McDaniels did? Maybe.

Don't want a young head coach or a college coach looking for his first opportunity. And I don't want anyone from the Belichick tree due to their history of dismal failure after leaving that organization to coach elsewhere.

Who I want for the next HC of the Rams is a no-nonsense, grizzled, veteran coach that will bring order and cut down on the ridiculous penalties and boneheaded mistakes that we have become infamous for. Tom Coughlin, Mike Shanahan...someone like that.

Doesn't mean I'm right and everyone else is wrong. This is merely my desire to get this team to the next level.