AP Sources Say Law Official Sent Rice Video to NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I found this on one of our other forums and could lead to an avenue the league could take to demonstrate their commitment to the issue.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...tle-ix-investigation-on-sexual-assault.28994/

If the league prohibited teams from drafting players who were guilty of abuse in college had sexual assault charges ,it could start to extinguish the "tolerance" for it in exchange for the exceptional athletic contributions. Face it , if Ray Rice was a marginal player he would not have had to been disciplined by the league Biscioti would have rid himself of the embarrasment.
Think ,we wouldn't have been able to draft Lawrence Phillips

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
So, I really have no qualms about NOT letting him off the hook and to continue to keep this issue in the spotlight including keeping the spotlight ON RAY RICE, who btw isn't in jail as he should be. In order to ask for forgiveness, one must actually be contrite. Ray Rice only seems to be frustrated that Janay couldn't take a punch better...

I felt the same way regarding jail time regarding and did not understand why he was not given time. This morning I read the article linked below which is an explanation what happened relative to the prosecution of Ray Rice. I now believe:

1. He was treated the same as any first time offender in New Jersey, and
  2. New Jersey and I would guess a lot of other states need, to look at their domestic violence laws.
Here is the link

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This entire thing is SO overblown and SO driven by the media I cannot believe it.

Two games IS typical of what players receive in cases where domestic violence can be proven. It's was the NORM. But the video has everyone frothing at the mouth when the fact is we already knew he punched her out from the first video.

What he did was fucked up and wrong and he should be punished both by the NFL and the courts. But taking away his chance to play football when he didn't do anything really different than plenty of other guys have done is nothing but a blind knee jerk reaction that is being driven by the media.

Frankly if I was him I'd have an attorney on the NFL's ass big time because there are guys who will be playing this weekend who did the exact same thing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This entire thing is SO overblown and SO driven by the media I cannot believe it.

Two games IS typical of what players receive in cases where domestic violence can be proven. It's was the NORM. But the video has everyone frothing at the mouth when the fact is we already knew he punched her out from the first video.

What he did was fucked up and wrong and he should be punished both by the NFL and the courts. But taking away his chance to play football when he didn't do anything really different than plenty of other guys have done is nothing but a blind knee jerk reaction that is being driven by the media.

Frankly if I was him I'd have an attorney on the NFL's ass big time because there are guys who will be playing this weekend who did the exact same thing.
once again this misses the point by a wide margin. The public expects institututional leaders to act with a level of decency that relatively maps to its own standard. But when it's exposed otherwise, especially when the difference is so widely egregious, as the case his here, the public reacts in horror, as it rightly should. This case exemplifies the extent to which the public is regularly lied to and misdirected in utterly abusive ways by leadership, and when that is uncovered there is mo PR machine large enough to turn-back the tied of disgust and disappointment. I don't see how Goodhell is going to survive this latest edition of lying until there is no one left to lie to. The owners will do whatever it takes to support their pockets and the 'shield'.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You are so right. I bet there are at least 50 women a day who are battered and beaten worst than Janay. The visuals make this case different but not different or unique.

I know this might be considerd an invasion of privacy, but I would like EVERY Domestic Violence charge to be accompanied by a public release of the police report AND the pictures of the VICTUM at the time of the arrest. These visuals might begin to address the devastion of this and drive us to get it right.
but with no profit motive, their is little interest ...sadly.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Or worse ,but Les their offences don't diminish Rice's . The fact is since the OJ Simpson and Ray Caruth cases the league has been asleep at the wheel about the fact that there exists an element of serial abusers who are given passes by law enforcement ,the league, groupies ,that the pattern reaches back into the college ranks and we aren't talking about guys who are just overcoming women who get out of hand but regard women as lesser beings they can and do physically accost in life threatening measure.
The way Rice's wife hit her head on that railing was violent enough he's lucky not to be facing manslaughter charges , I'm no fan of the press and hate the feeding frenzy ,but sometimes it actually does have a function , the realization that the league has a problem far bigger than just Ray Rice has come too slowly if he serves as a vehicle to finally get the thugs exposed I'm OK with the Bernie types having a field day .
Look at it this way if you will, Johnny "Bench" and Mike Sam are finally on the back burner ,some relief there?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Or worse ,but Les their offences don't diminish Rice's . The fact is since the OJ Simpson and Ray Caruth cases the league has been asleep at the wheel about the fact that there exists an element of serial abusers who are given passes by law enforcement ,the league, groupies ,that the pattern reaches back into the college ranks and we aren't talking about guys who are just overcoming women who get out of hand but regard women as lesser beings they can and do physically accost in life threatening measure.
The way Rice's wife hit her head on that railing was violent enough he's lucky not to be facing manslaughter charges , I'm no fan of the press and hate the feeding frenzy ,but sometimes it actually does have a function , the realization that the league has a problem far bigger than just Ray Rice has come too slowly if he serves as a vehicle to finally get the thugs exposed I'm OK with the Bernie types having a field day .
Look at it this way if you will, Johnny "Bench" and Mike Sam are finally on the back burner ,some relief there?

I agree that what he did was horrific and the first thing I thought when I saw the elevator vid was "how can he just stand there looking at her" while she was laying there potentially seriously hurt. It was terrible.

But the media is just flat out overdoing this and IMO both Rice and Goodell are being hammered far beyond what they deserve. IOW the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I agree that what he did was horrific and the first thing I thought when I saw the elevator vid was "how can he just stand there looking at her" while she was laying there potentially seriously hurt. It was terrible.

But the media is just flat out overdoing this and IMO both Rice and Goodell are being hammered far beyond what they deserve. IOW the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
jesus christ...this provides insight I'd just rather not have.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

REALLY? If you discover RG had seen the elevator tape and is covering his ass about it and having seen it and seen what you did ,Rice spitting on her till she retaliates, knocking her cold , standing there admiring his work ,showing no remorse AT ALL (indicating to me he had done similar things before ,if you or I lost it we'd be on the floor apologizing to her even if she coudln't hear it) he was ready with a lie about her being drunk instantly.
IMO he wasn't punished nearly enough by the criminal justice system and it's high time the league realizes the leverage these thugs are getting because of the indulgence given to the celebrity culture we suffer from in this country .
Both these guys Rice and Goodell need to go away and IF that's a little too harsh ,I've come to the realization an example is all that's gonna get the attention of the culture of abuse and ennoblement/enable-ment that's been fostered for too long.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meanwhile, played last week and is eligible to play this week....
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11504050/greg-hardy-excused-carolina-panthers-practice-meet-lawyer

nfl_a_ghard2_cr_300x200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
REALLY? If you discover RG had seen the elevator tape and is covering his ass about it and having seen it and seen what you did ,Rice spitting on her till she retaliates, knocking her cold , standing there admiring his work ,showing no remorse AT ALL (indicating to me he had done similar things before ,if you or I lost it we'd be on the floor apologizing to her even if she coudln't hear it) he was ready with a lie about her being drunk instantly.
IMO he wasn't punished nearly enough by the criminal justice system and it's high time the league realizes the leverage these thugs are getting because of the indulgence given to the celebrity culture we suffer from in this country .
Both these guys Rice and Goodell need to go away and IF that's a little too harsh ,I've come to the realization an example is all that's gonna get the attention of the culture of abuse and ennoblement/enable-ment that's been fostered for too long.
Well said.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Let me say this again. Rice did a horrible thing, should be held accountable legally (and there hasn't been a PEEP about NJ not stepping in) and within the rules of the NFL.

He did the same thing that several NFL players have done, the only difference is that he was caught on a security camera and everyone gets to see the act rather than just hear about it and because it's so heinous people want his head.

Yet this weekend guys will be playing who have done the same and most of you CAN'T EVEN NAME ONE OF THEM yet you want Rice out of the NFL.

This is a classic case of media driven hype and IMO the punishment does not fit the crime. People are frothing at the mouth over this and it's an over reaction as far as I am concerned.

As far as Goodell resigning I will say this. You, me and almost everyone else on the Earth has no idea if he saw the tape, or if this voice mail is real..........but tell me what does seeing the tape actually change. Rice and his girlfriend told him what happened, he saw the video of him dragging her lifeless body out of the elevator. He already KNEW he knocked her out. So does video evidence mean harsher punishment? I disagree with that. If someone lies and gets caught should the punishment be less harsh than if they lie, get caught but it was tape record? That's nonsensical.

If Goodell did in fact see the tape and lied about it then he should be removed from his position based solely on the fact that he lied, not that it didn't change his mind about the punishment. Which again is the EXACT same punishment he has meted out to several players found guilty of this and NOT ONE of you ever said a single word about it when it happened.

Knowing what I know about the media I'll wait until we know a little more. This reeks.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
OK I get you think the coverage needs to be more comprehensive ,I agree,but the fact remains nothing the others did elevates Rice from scum deserving all the spotlight anyone wants to shine on him. I would also submit that without the press beating this horse till long dead the attention you and I agree should be shifted to the others wouldn't get there ,he's the poster child now he earned it ,the press are blood sucking opportunists but they are actually doing some good here ,it's the wonder of capitalism if you will ,good coming from even the most self serving of motives.

The big difference here Les is that without actually seeing the images on the tape ,it's too easy to view it in abstract as just another domestic dispute and before seeing the tape I was more inclined to think she was possibly more culpable, a picture paints a thousand words ,seeing is BELIEVING, it changes my view of it, and maybe that's my fault ,but NOW I have no doubt he's a cold blooded abuser ,didn't forget himself ,have a momentary lapse ,need to defend himself all exculpatory possibilities that DID occur in my previous evaluation.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I won't convict him of doing this in the past, and his woman has said he has never done it before so I will take her at her word.

One thing I know for sure, Goodell is as teflon as they come and unless he himself comes out and says he did in fact see the tape and lied about it he will weather this storm. I can't see anyone at the league offices saying "yeah me and Roger watched that video back in April, we were sitting in his office and popped the disc in", so unless he cops to it nothing is going to happen. And I'm certain he doesn't give a rats ass about his rep in the public eye, he gave that up when he destroyed the Spygate evidence.

Personally I cannot see him lying about seeing the video, what would he gain form that versus what he could lose so it makes no sense and getting caught implementing a cover up would only add gas to an already disgusting and smelly dumpster fire. The risk would be too great, especially since he is smart enough to know that if a tape did show up then obviously a few people knew it was sent/signed for.

If he did lie he should be fined and removed from his post.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Let me say this again. Rice did a horrible thing, should be held accountable legally (and there hasn't been a PEEP about NJ not stepping in) and within the rules of the NFL.

He did the same thing that several NFL players have done, the only difference is that he was caught on a security camera and everyone gets to see the act rather than just hear about it and because it's so heinous people want his head.

Yet this weekend guys will be playing who have done the same and most of you CAN'T EVEN NAME ONE OF THEM yet you want Rice out of the NFL.

This is a classic case of media driven hype and IMO the punishment does not fit the crime. People are frothing at the mouth over this and it's an over reaction as far as I am concerned.

As far as Goodell resigning I will say this. You, me and almost everyone else on the Earth has no idea if he saw the tape, or if this voice mail is real..........but tell me what does seeing the tape actually change. Rice and his girlfriend told him what happened, he saw the video of him dragging her lifeless body out of the elevator. He already KNEW he knocked her out. So does video evidence mean harsher punishment? I disagree with that. If someone lies and gets caught should the punishment be less harsh than if they lie, get caught but it was tape record? That's nonsensical.

If Goodell did in fact see the tape and lied about it then he should be removed from his position based solely on the fact that he lied, not that it didn't change his mind about the punishment. Which again is the EXACT same punishment he has meted out to several players found guilty of this and NOT ONE of you ever said a single word about it when it happened.

Knowing what I know about the media I'll wait until we know a little more. This reeks.
It's an over reaction.... are you kidding me. It's an over reaction to want some one who punches woman, then stairs at his accomplishment is some robotic fashion, out of the NFL? It's an over reaction to want the commissioner who lies to the public on an every day basis out of his job?

What the video changes is that is shows, without a shadow of a doubt, and in a way that every member of the public can clearly see, that the level of thuggery and lying from within the NFL is intolerable to any normal decent human being. That's what it does. It exposes the pscyhopathic charade that the NFL PR machine conducts in order to hide what's behind the mask, or the shield in this case.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's an over reaction.... are you kidding me. It's an over reaction to want some one who punches woman, then stairs at his accomplishment is some robotic fashion, out of the NFL? It's an over reaction to want the commissioner who lies to the public on an every day basis out of his job?

What the video changes is that is shows, without a shadow of a doubt, and in a way that every member of the public can clearly see, that the level of thuggery and lying from within the NFL is intolerable to any normal decent human being. That's what it does. It exposes the pscyhopathic charade that the NFL PR machine conducts in order to hide what's behind the mask, or the shield in this case.

It doesn't do that at all, nothing of the sort whatsoever. That's simply your opinion that you are palming off as some kind of fact. We already knew what happened on the elevator, it was already documented, Rice and his lady talked about it openly. We saw her get dragged out in the first video and she was out cold. The second video gave us NOTHING NEW at all. It doesn't shed ANY additional light, you're totally wrong about that and the first video is proof of that. After seeing it, and hearing Rice admit he punched her out, and her saying that yes he punched her out, what did you think happened? Did you think they were lying and the first video was a fake and she slipped and fell?

I still don't understand why you even watch football since you have proclaimed many times that you think it's all fixed and predetermined like "pro wrestling".

Anyway..........you're over reacting too.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/11/roger-goodell-ray-rice-video/

goodell-story-pk.jpg

Elsa/Getty Images
Goodell Under Siege
The cries for Roger Goodell's resignation are reverberating across the football world after the AP reported the league office had indeed received the second Ray Rice video. At least one owner isn't sure the NFL commish will survive the saga
By Peter King

NEW YORK — The Ray Rice tornado has been swirling for three days now, and the twists and turns have been fast and furious. Have you ever seen a story go so frenetic in three days? As Wednesday evening began, one NFL owner told me he didn’t think NFL commissioner Roger Goodell could survive the latest turn in the Rice scandal.

Four hours later, the NFL appointed a former director of the FBI, Robert S. Mueller III, to launch an independent investigation of the league’s handling of the Rice case. The league said the investigation will be made public when it’s finished, the same way independent investigator Ted Wells’ report on the Richie Incognito bullying scandal was made public earlier this year. “Commissioner Goodell pledged that director Mueller will have the full cooperation of NFL personnel and access to all NFL records,” the NFL statement said.

Just before 11 p.m. Eastern Time, minutes after the league announced the Mueller appointment, one league owner told me, “This is a good first step. But we need to be prepared for any outcome.”

And the league needs to be prepared for the belief that, no matter what Mueller’s report says, many will think the NFL has whitewashed the Rice story, and that Goodell or his prominent underlings already had seen the videotape of Rice knocking Janay Palmer unconscious before TMZ released it Monday. That’s the level of public distrust in the NFL and in anyone who works there today.

One of the craziest days in recent league history—there have been a few of those lately—reached a frenzy Wednesday late afternoon. News came from the Associated Press that a law-enforcement official in New Jersey sent a tape of Rice’s attack to an NFL employee on April 9. The law-enforcement source played the AP a voicemail from the NFL employee in which she confirms receipt of the damaging video. Repeatedly, the league has insisted that no one from the NFL had seen the video from inside the elevator before the TMZ release.

If that voicemail turns out to be real, someone inside the NFL has some explaining to do to the highest levels of the league. And if it’s real, the league will have to convince the public that somehow the tape wasn’t seen by Goodell, anyone with access to him, or by the top executives of the league. That will be tough to do.

The AP report came before 6 p.m. Wednesday, and Goodell cancelled an appearance in Charlotte at an event featuring Carolina Panthers owner and Goodell loyalist Jerry Richardson. League officials then hunkered down in the NFL’s Park Avenue offices until after 11 p.m. plotting strategy and planning for the investigative handoff to Mueller.

The sense I got after talking to six prominent team executives Wednesday night was that Goodell’s job would be in trouble only if he was found to have participated in a coverup of the Rice investigation, or if he lied about never having seen the videotape of the former Baltimore running back’s assault of his then-fiancée Palmer in an Atlantic City elevator last February. We know what the public thinks now.

As the New York Daily News screamed in a front-page, boldfaced headline this morning: “National Football Liars.” If the AP report is accurate and the league did indeed receive the video, but the footage somehow never reached Goodell, then that would appear to be a stunning lack of institutional control for a man whose authority has been unquestioned since he took over the NFL in 2006.

The front page of the New York Daily News on Thursday morning. (Photo courtesy Twitter)

The public and media can think the league lied. But in terms of Goodell’s status as commissioner, the question is whether the owners have lost confidence in him. And in taking the temperature of owners or owners’ reps Wednesday night, I got this sense: Goodell has so much goodwill in the bank in their eyes that there’s no way—without definitive proof that the commissioner lied—they’d throw him, and his $44 million annual compensation, to the wolves. The goodwill includes a collective bargaining agreement with the players association through 2020 and lucrative TV contracts that pay each team about $150 million per year.

Nevertheless, the owners are not pleased that after the first week of the league’s 95thseason, twice in three days one of the top stories on the evening news is about a scandal the NFL simply cannot contain. “I am starting to get a sick feeling about how out of control this is getting,” one owner said Wednesday night, “but I am standing by Roger. He has been great for our league.”

One reason so many owners were steadfast behind Goodell is that many of them spoke to the commissioner after he announced the NFL’s new policy on domestic violence two weeks ago. Goodell, this owner said, told him he just didn’t know exactly what happened in the elevator because he never saw visual evidence of it. Until it’s proven to this owner—at least—that Goodell was lying, he said he’s not going to lose faith in him. Another prominent club official said he “believes strongly” that Goodell will survive.

The NFL also announced Wednesday night that the investigation will be overseen by Giants president and CEO John Mara and Steelers president Art Rooney II. All week, the NFL has said it requested the video—which shows Rice hitting Palmer forcibly and causing her to fall to the floor of the elevator unconscious—but never received it. For a league with tremendous reach, it seems bizarre that a media outlet can obtain the video and the most powerful sports league in America cannot—particularly when Rice’s attorney had the video as well. “No one in the NFL, to my knowledge,” had seen the video, Goodell told CBS News on Tuesday.

But the public has been unswayed. A Connecticut senator, Richard Blumenthal, said Wednesday that if the AP report is true, “commissioner Goodell must go, for the good of the NFL and its fans.” Blumenthal, and detractors of this investigation, will be skeptical of the fact that Mueller’s law firm, WilmerHale of Washington, D.C., has strong ties to the NFL. For one, it is where Dick Cass used to be a partner. Cass, of course, is president of the Ravens and Ray Rice’s former boss, and the Ravens are in hot water for not digging hard enough in the Rice investigation.

But the only ones who can make Goodell go are the NFL owners. And Wednesday night, they had no appetite for it. Now we’ll wait to see if Mueller’s report exonerates Goodell. There will be more twists to this story before then.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If it's proven (and it sure looks like proof exists) that the video made it to NFL HQ, then that is right there should be all the evidence we need to rid ourselves of Roger Goodell. There are only two plausible explanations at that point:

1) He saw the video and lied about it; or
2) He intentionally avoided seeing the video.

There simply is no plausible way he couldn't have known about the video once it was delivered to NFL HQ. He most definitely would have been notified.

Goodell also has a history of trying to cover things up and sweep them under the rug. Spygate is but one data point in that (but a very big one).

This also shows how out of whack are the priorities given to various offenses. Josh Gordon is selling cars this year because he smoked a few blunts, but Ray Rice initially only received a two-game suspension even though Goodell KNEW he had one way or another violently rendered his wife unconscious. I don't care how many offenses Gordon might have had, all of them put together don't add up to the offense by Rice which we now know about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If it's proven (and it sure looks like proof exists) that the video made it to NFL HQ, then that is right there should be all the evidence we need to rid ourselves of Roger Goodell. There are only two plausible explanations at that point:

1) He saw the video and lied about it; or
2) He intentionally avoided seeing the video.

There simply is no plausible way he couldn't have known about the video once it was delivered to NFL HQ. He most definitely would have been notified.

Goodell also has a history of trying to cover things up and sweep them under the rug. Spygate is but one data point in that (but a very big one).

This also shows how out of whack are the priorities given to various offenses. Josh Gordon is selling cars this year because he smoked a few blunts, but Ray Rice initially only received a two-game suspension even though Goodell KNEW he had one way or another violently rendered his wife unconscious. I don't care how many offenses Gordon might have had, all of them put together don't add up to the offense by Rice which we now know about.

There are a couple of other possibilities. I'm not saying they are true but they could have happened.

Maybe Goodell didn't see the tape, unlikely if it was actually sent to the league office, but not outside of the realm of possibility.

He may have seen it and thought that it would destroy Rice's reputation and decided to do nothing.

It's critical for people to understand something that is very much being ignored. This tape was already "out", so Rog cannot be accused of covering up anything. The police had a copy, Rice's attorney had a copy, the prosecuting attorney had a copy and the casino had a copy. Any one of them could have leaked this to the media at any time and there isn't a damn thing Goodell could have done to stop it if that person wanted it out there. So accusing him of a cover up is off base. He wasn't the guy with the tape to begin with, it was sent to him.

Anyway if it comes out that he lied he should step down, but he isn't guilty of a coverup and that's pretty clear.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There are a couple of other possibilities. I'm not saying they are true but they could have happened.

Maybe Goodell didn't see the tape, unlikely if it was actually sent to the league office, but not outside of the realm of possibility.

He may have seen it and thought that it would destroy Rice's reputation and decided to do nothing.

It's critical for people to understand something that is very much being ignored. This tape was already "out", so Rog cannot be accused of covering up anything. The police had a copy, Rice's attorney had a copy, the prosecuting attorney had a copy and the casino had a copy. Any one of them could have leaked this to the media at any time and there isn't a damn thing Goodell could have done to stop it if that person wanted it out there. So accusing him of a cover up is off base. He wasn't the guy with the tape to begin with, it was sent to him.

Anyway if it comes out that he lied he should step down, but he isn't guilty of a coverup and that's pretty clear.

I simply don't think it's credible that if the tape was delivered to NFL HQ (and it most certainly appears that was the case) that Goodell didn't at least have an opportunity to see it. If it got there and he didn't know about it, then the institutional ineptitude at NFL HQ alone should be enough to get him fired.

With regard to your other possibility, having actually seen the tape, it would be even more inexcusable. I don't at all buy any altruistic explanation that he cared about Rice's reputation, because what he has done now has crippled not only his own reputation but the NFL's as a whole. He's too much of an egotistical, power-hungry prick to prioritize Rice's reputation over his own. And working for the owners, his job it to prioritize their reputation and the league's as a whole over that of Rice. So there is little motivation for him to lie to protect Rice's reputation.

And furthermore, if it turns out that he did see it, then it's clear he lied to the public when he said he hadn't seen it. Completely inexcusable.

Your last statement contradicts itself, if Goodell lied, he is guilty of a coverup.

But even if he didn't lie, it's already highly likely that he was, at best, incorrect by saying the NFL never received a copy of the video. And knowing that others had it (such as Rice's attorney), it certainly appears that he did not make anywhere near his best effort to see it. For a guy that has had such an exceptionally high degree of control over league discipline, that is simply inexcusable.

When I was in the navy I remember how the captain was always responsible for his ship. Goodell is the captain of this ship, and he is at least guilty of dereliction of duty. In the navy, that gets captains relieved of their command. So too it should be with Goodell.