Anyone interested in seeing Austin Davis this week?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Seriously? So please tell me how putting him in a game with a 20+ point lead would tell you anything about "what he has"? Unless you are going to evaluate how he turns and hands the ball off to milk the clock, not sure how being in that kind of "game situation" would do anything for him, or the coaches. You think Fisher and Snead don't see on a daily basis "that they have in Davis"?

This is all about a bunch of fans who are curious about the next greatest discovery, somehow thinking their curiosity should take precedent over actually trying to win a football game.

Ok, first off, take a breath and chill out. jesus. Forgive me for throwing it out there that game play was a bad idea for him when we had a 20+ point lead, how dare I. They might have him throw the ball a few times, just an idea i had.......but of course, all of us who want to see what he has during a game think he will be the next Warner and we will win a SB next year behind him.

Or maybe it just that someone wants to see if he is good enough to remain backup or not. Forgot that you are Coach Fisher and we are just fans with opinions and ideas. Sorry CoachO Fisher.....

How is my thinking him getting 15 minutes of play time while we are winning by 20+ showing that i think he is the next great discovery and that it will show precedent over winning? The reason he would go in with a 20+ lead with 15 minutes left is that they felt they had big enough lead they would not lose, so it wasnt much of a risk obviously and they could get him some game time, just like they do with other back ups at other positiongs sometimes(SHOCKING!!!!). I never once said he was the next great discovery or was gonna overtake Bradford or any crap like that, I said it might help determine where they were with there backup situation. It could help them figure if they needed to draft a QB in the mid rounds or later.

But what do i know, i'm just a fan on a forum....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like posts that challenge traditional thought.

But for me; no.

Let's give ourselves the best shot to finish strong.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'd rather see the best guys out there and try to get to 8-8, of which we haven't been since '06.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ok, first off, take a breath and chill out. jesus. Forgive me for throwing it out there that game play was a bad idea for him when we had a 20+ point lead, how dare I. They might have him throw the ball a few times, just an idea i had.......but of course, all of us who want to see what he has during a game think he will be the next Warner and we will win a SB next year behind him.

Or maybe it just that someone wants to see if he is good enough to remain backup or not. Forgot that you are Coach Fisher and we are just fans with opinions and ideas. Sorry CoachO Fisher.....

How is my thinking him getting 15 minutes of play time while we are winning by 20+ showing that i think he is the next great discovery and that it will show precedent over winning? The reason he would go in with a 20+ lead with 15 minutes left is that they felt they had big enough lead they would not lose, so it wasnt much of a risk obviously and they could get him some game time, just like they do with other back ups at other positiongs sometimes(SHOCKING!!!!). I never once said he was the next great discovery or was gonna overtake Bradford or any crap like that, I said it might help determine where they were with there backup situation. It could help them figure if they needed to draft a QB in the mid rounds or later.

But what do i know, i'm just a fan on a forum....

and you say I'm the one who needs to chill? I wasn't the one who resorted to name calling on an internet message board because his opinion was questioned.

You can call me CoachO Fisher or anything else you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that I understand that the people who know what the kid is capable of, the REAL coaches who see him everyday, both in practice and on tape, know what he is capable of. They don't need to see him in a game that by your own admission, would be "out of reach to the point where we wouldn't lose". What could you possibly think he would show in those conditions?

This is the same player who was all but given the backup job going into the OTAs, training camp and preseason. Now suddenly, that same player who wasn't good enough then to hold on to the job, will somehow be transformed into the next greatest discovery? Trying to evaluate him under those conditions would be worse than trying to get a true indication of his ability to play at this level, in the 4th qtr. of preseason games against players who had no chance of being in the league after August 30th.

I just have a hard time believing that any fan who claims to have any knowledge of football would think otherwise. It's one thing to root for certain players, but to actually think that by putting this kid in that scenario would show anything. I for one, love in the real world and don't have any false hopes.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Y
Seriously? So please tell me how putting him in a game with a 20+ point lead would tell you anything about "what he has"? Unless you are going to evaluate how he turns and hands the ball off to milk the clock, not sure how being in that kind of "game situation" would do anything for him, or the coaches. You think Fisher and Snead don't see on a daily basis "that they have in Davis"?

This is all about a bunch of fans who are curious about the next greatest discovery, somehow thinking their curiosity should take precedent over actually trying to win a football game.

You're in a bad mood.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Y

You're in a bad mood.

I wasn't. But who comes on here, and asks a QUESTION, then when he gets an answer that doesn't agree with his, wants to argue about it?

The way you phrased your OP, you asked and "if/or" question. But when given and answer, you fly into some rant because it differed from your desire to see him play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hey! What the hell is going on around here? Step away from the keyboard!

hqdefault.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wasn't. But who comes on here, and asks a QUESTION, then when he gets an answer that doesn't agree with his, wants to argue about it?

The way you phrased your OP, you asked and "if/or" question. But when given and answer, you fly into some rant because it differed from your desire to see him play.

Yeah, you may want to reread the thread and reevaluate who went on a rant.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
and you say I'm the one who needs to chill? I wasn't the one who resorted to name calling on an internet message board because his opinion was questioned.

You can call me CoachO Fisher or anything else you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that I understand that the people who know what the kid is capable of, the REAL coaches who see him everyday, both in practice and on tape, know what he is capable of. They don't need to see him in a game that by your own admission, would be "out of reach to the point where we wouldn't lose". What could you possibly think he would show in those conditions?

This is the same player who was all but given the backup job going into the OTAs, training camp and preseason. Now suddenly, that same player who wasn't good enough then to hold on to the job, will somehow be transformed into the next greatest discovery? Trying to evaluate him under those conditions would be worse than trying to get a true indication of his ability to play at this level, in the 4th qtr. of preseason games against players who had no chance of being in the league after August 30th.

I just have a hard time believing that any fan who claims to have any knowledge of football would think otherwise. It's one thing to root for certain players, but to actually think that by putting this kid in that scenario would show anything. I for one, love in the real world and don't have any false hopes.

I called you CoachO Fisher because you acted like you were him or best buds with him in your reply. You generalized my response with people who think he is the next Warner basically. With no justification for it at all. If me calling you CochO Fisher was ill mannered, i apologize.

If you disagree with what i think, i have no problem with that, what i did have a problem with, is making up the point of my opinion with things that were the furthest things from my mind and truth. Why do you continue to think that i think he might be the next great discovery? What have i said to give you that thought? Was it when i said that it could help them determine if he should remain a backup? move up to #2 backup? or not be kept at all? Was it when i said it could help us determine when we should draft a QB in the draft? None of those are even close to saying he should start for us above Bradford or start any game for us the rest of the year period, let alone be the next great discovery.

Now for your last comment paragraph. Who knows if it would show them anything or not, they have seen more of him on the practice field i agree. But as we know, sometimes the practice field and actual game play is different. Thats just my opinion, and have no problem if you dont agree.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I called you CoachO Fisher because you acted like you were him or best buds with him in your reply. You generalized my response with people who think he is the next Warner basically. With no justification for it at all. If me calling you CochO Fisher was ill mannered, i apologize.

If you disagree with what i think, i have no problem with that, what i did have a problem with, is making up the point of my opinion with things that were the furthest things from my mind and truth. Why do you continue to think that i think he might be the next great discovery? What have i said to give you that thought? Was it when i said that it could help them determine if he should remain a backup? move up to #2 backup? or not be kept at all? Was it when i said it could help us determine when we should draft a QB in the draft? None of those are even close to saying he should start for us above Bradford or start any game for us the rest of the year period, let alone be the next great discovery.

Now for your last comment paragraph. Who knows if it would show them anything or not, they have seen more of him on the practice field i agree. But as we know, sometimes the practice field and actual game play is different. Thats just my opinion, and have no problem if you dont agree.

Fair enough, and guess I got caught up in this whole thread. The OP framed this thread as a question, and then started on this tirade when he didn't get the answer he wanted. If I lumped you into that, then I also apologize to you.

and for the sake of putting this to bed, we can agree to disagree in what we think would come from Davis playing at this point.

I sometimes forget that most people don't have the benefit of seeing training camp first hand, and I am guilty of forming some of my opinions based on what I see there. And trust me, what I saw from Davis convinced me, that this is NOT the same kid who showed up in 2012.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fair enough, and guess I got caught up in this whole thread. The OP framed this thread as a question, and then started on this tirade when he didn't get the answer he wanted. If I lumped you into that, then I also apologize to you.

and for the sake of putting this to bed, we can agree to disagree in what we think would come from Davis playing at this point.

I sometimes forget that most people don't have the benefit of seeing training camp first hand, and I am guilty of forming some of my opinions based on what I see there. And trust me, what I saw from Davis convinced me, that this is NOT the same kid who showed up in 2012.

Its all good my Ram brother!!! I apologize again for my ranting ways i do sometimes.

I hold your opinions in a high regard, i know you have been to camp and seen it all, so i never take your opinion lightly. You dont think he is the same as before, i can handle that, i am just looking to see if anything from him warranting not using a mid rounder draft pick on a QB basically.

Do you think maybe he is having a sophomore slump of some kind, even if it just on the practice field/training camp? that even sounds a little dumb to myself typing that lol, but just wondering. You say he was good in 2012, just weird he would decline like this is all.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Its all good my Ram brother!!! I apologize again for my ranting ways i do sometimes.

I hold your opinions in a high regard, i know you have been to camp and seen it all, so i never take your opinion lightly. You dont think he is the same as before, i can handle that, i am just looking to see if anything from him warranting not using a mid rounder draft pick on a QB basically.

Do you think maybe he is having a sophomore slump of some kind, even if it just on the practice field/training camp? that even sounds a little dumb to myself typing that lol, but just wondering. You say he was good in 2012, just weird he would decline like this is all.

I have no idea if it was a soph slump or not,, but I think a lot of it had to do with what they were trying to do early on. They obviously were trying to be something different with all the new "weapons" and I just think he wasn't as comfortable in the more wide open system.

He just looked to be overthinking everything, his reads were late, and his throws were erratic. Everyone criticizes Clemens for his lack of accuracy, but Davis was much worse throughout camp. They did a whole lot more throwing this year in camp, than they did in 2012. And there were an awful lot of 3 or 4 wide formations. I honestly think he was overwhelmed. Last year, they kept things VERY basic, and everyone was learning stuff for the first time n this system. This year, they ratcheted things up from the start, and gradually backed things down a they got closer to the end of camp.

RamzFanz

Damnit

You were also convinced KC couldn't either. Want me to quote it?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Do you think Davis would go back to his 2012 form in the current offense we have(not trying to find a justification for playing time, just wondering your opinion)? Did he look any better as camp got closer to ending as they dialed the offense back? How did Clemens look in a more spread offense this offseason? Do you think we woulda kept a more spread offense this year if Stacy had started the season and we had a real running game? One last question, Cook always seemed like he was beasting it up in trainging camp, yet we all know that wasn't the case as the year went on, what happened? Was it the system change? himself just not living up to the hype(my choice), etc?

Just curious about all this. I have always wanted to attend camp but never been able to, and these are the things i love hearing about.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You were also convinced KC couldn't either. Want me to quote it?

So, is it now your mission in life to discredit me somehow?

Find where I have ever said that I think that Clemens is the answer. But he is, and obviously was, a better option than Davis.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have no idea if it was a soph slump or not,, but I think a lot of it had to do with what they were trying to do early on. They obviously were trying to be something different with all the new "weapons" and I just think he wasn't as comfortable in the more wide open system.

He just looked to be overthinking everything, his reads were late, and his throws were erratic. Everyone criticizes Clemens for his lack of accuracy, but Davis was much worse throughout camp. They did a whole lot more throwing this year in camp, than they did in 2012. And there were an awful lot of 3 or 4 wide formations. I honestly think he was overwhelmed. Last year, they kept things VERY basic, and everyone was learning stuff for the first time n this system. This year, they ratcheted things up from the start, and gradually backed things down a they got closer to the end of camp.

Well, there you go. That's all I was asking. Could have just said that instead of attacking us.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Davis won't even be on the roster next year. Why play him?

Yeah, that's what I said too if that's a given. If it's not a given, if he has potential, then maybe?

Now I agree though that I wouldn't either as long as a winning season is on the line.