Anyone interested in seeing Austin Davis this week?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Is he just there for insurance waiting for an instant cut at the end of the season or will they look at him in an actual game?

Me, I'd give him a start if they have any hope that he could be decent.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Who knows but I think Clemens is the man and probably has cemented a backup gig for next season. Davis is on the roster for just like you said, insurance and a warm body to say hut hut. I'm sure the Rams will draft a QB somewhere in 2014, maybe 3rd or 4th round, especially if they wheel and deal in the 1st round and garner some extra picks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What's with the continued love affair with a guy who was not very good in training camp, not very good in preseason games, got cut, was not thought highly enough by a coaching staff to even be put on the practice squad? The same coaching staff that all but labeled him the backup QB going into the offseason, but played poorly enough to LOSE the job.

The same guy who no one else in the entire league thought enough of to even add to the practice squad, other than Miami, who took that plunge, only to release him two weeks later.

He's here for the sole purpose of being someone who can come in with enough knowledge of the system and terminology to actually be able to call a play in the huddle if something were to happen to Clemens. I for one, would be shocked if he is even invited back for any off season work beyond December 29th.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's with the continued love affair with a guy who was not very good in training camp, not very good in preseason games, got cut, was not thought highly enough by a coaching staff to even be put on the practice squad? The same coaching staff that all but labeled him the backup QB going into the offseason, but played poorly enough to LOSE the job.

The same guy who no one else in the entire league thought enough of to even add to the practice squad, other than Miami, who took that plunge, only to release him two weeks later.

He's here for the sole purpose of being someone who can come in with enough knowledge of the system and terminology to actually be able to call a play in the huddle if something were to happen to Clemens. I for one, would be shocked if he is even invited back for any off season work beyond December 29th.

I'm just wondering how he goes from apparent number 2 to worthless. Did they really misjudge him that badly?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not really, and I'm a huge advocate for the kid, but Clemens is doing what's necessary to win and managing the games efficiently, we're still in the wheel house to get to 8-8, can't pin that on a kid out of nowhere when Clemens is doing alright.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Not really, and I'm a huge advocate for the kid, but Clemens is doing what's necessary to win and managing the games efficiently, we're still in the wheel house to get to 8-8, can't pin that on a kid out of nowhere when Clemens is doing alright.

Now that's a sensible argument.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not really, if Clemens had another bad game, then yes. But he came out and played well last week, so I say leave him in and go for 8-8

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm just wondering how he goes from apparent number 2 to worthless. Did they really misjudge him that badly?

I watched every training camp practice, and the Austin Davis that showed up THIS year in July was NOT the same guy who won a job in 2012. He looked lost in most of the practices. And the thing is, from the very first day of training camp, right thru the last preseason game, they alternated DAILY, who took reps with the 2's and 3's.

The biggest thing I noticed, was his decision making, and lack of accuracy. He would under throw receivers in ONE on ONE drills, with NO pass rush.

The way I have described it, was if he had played this poorly in his audition in 2012, no one here would even know his name this year. He was an UDFA, wo was brought it, and showed enough to be kept around. But there was a guy from Texas Tech, name Taylor Potts, who was also an UDFA, and as stated, no one her even knows he was in camp last year. That would have been Davis based on this years training camp performance.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I watched every training camp practice, and the Austin Davis that showed up THIS year in July was NOT the same guy who won a job in 2012. He looked lost in most of the practices. And the thing is, from the very first day of training camp, right thru the last preseason game, they alternated DAILY, who took reps with the 2's and 3's.

The biggest thing I noticed, was his decision making, and lack of accuracy. He would under throw receivers in ONE on ONE drills, with NO pass rush.

The way I have described it, was if he had played this poorly in his audition in 2012, no one here would even know his name this year. He was an UDFA, wo was brought it, and showed enough to be kept around. But there was a guy from Texas Tech, name Taylor Potts, who was also an UDFA, and as stated, no one her even knows he was in camp last year. That would have been Davis based on this years training camp performance.

The dude has talent. His collegiate career speaks for itself. How does he just go down the toilet like that?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The dude has talent. His collegiate career speaks for itself. How does he just go down the toilet like that?

that's a question for someone else. Unless you are saying I don't know what I'm talking about. Which is fine, but apparently Fisher, Schottenheimer and Cignetti all agree with me.

....and his college career, was at Southern Miss, which playing in Conference USA is not exactly a great measuring stick. Talent isn't just about the numbers you put up in college.

And by his collegiate career speaking for itself, I assume you mean because he broke the passing records of B. Favre. Different era, different offense. not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
CoachO forgetting part of the story:

My memory of training camp and the preseason had Davis and Clemens playing at the same level. Switch their years of experience and with their exact same level of play and I think Davis would have been our #2. I'd still rather have Davis on the field than Clemens because Clemens has no upside and who knows how far Davis would have progressed? Now that we have found our RB what is our next highest need on offense? I'd say it was WR and just how much do you think their games will progress with Clemens throwing to them?

As far as nobody trying to sign Davis, how about all those teams that tried to sign Clemens after we initially cut him? :wink:

I'll be hugely disappointed if Clemens is our #2 next year.

Of course having either one of them on the field means the season was/is over as far as playoff aspirations are concerned and making the playoffs is my only concern.

RamzFanz

Damnit
that's a question for someone else. Unless you are saying I don't know what I'm talking about. Which is fine, but apparently Fisher, Schottenheimer and Cignetti all agree with me.

....and his college career, was at Southern Miss, which playing in Conference USA is not exactly a great measuring stick. Talent isn't just about the numbers you put up in college.

And by his collegiate career speaking for itself, I assume you mean because he broke the passing records of B. Favre. Different era, different offense. not an apples to apples comparison.

The dude broke many of B. Favre's records and school records and game records and won bowl games. Yeah, it's just an indication of what he can do, but he sure wasn't under throwing receivers then so I'm just wondering what happened.

Fisher and Schottenheimer also thought DR could run up the middle and TA could make plays surrounded by a half dozen defenders closing at full speed so...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The dude broke many of B. Favre's records and school records and game records and won bowl games. Yeah, it's just an indication of what he can do, but he sure wasn't under throwing receivers then so I'm just wondering what happened.

Fisher and Schottenheimer also thought DR could run up the middle and TA could make plays surrounded by a half dozen defenders closing at full speed so...
OK,, WHATEVER ,, YOURE RIGHT,, the rest of us are all wrong,, i'm done

RamzFanz

Damnit
OK,, WHATEVER ,, YOURE RIGHT,, the rest of us are all wrong,, i'm done

I hope they start him or he comes in and tears it up just so we can return to this discussion. I remember another QB who was cut and no one ever heard of and ended up being one of the best to ever play the game. Hint: Mike Martz said he pay him $50 if he would learn to throw a spiral. Coaches aren't always right.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I say if we are up by 20+ by the end of the 3rd quarter, they should put Davis in. Other then that i don't see him going in. As much as i am not a Clemens fan, he has done decent enough to continue starting and finishing games. As i have said many times, Clemens will not lose us games, but he wont win them for us either. So if we have a good lead, might as well throw Davis in to get him some experience at the least and see what he has(even if on a very small scale), that would help Fisher and Snead know what they have in him and if he has any kind of future with us or a future where he might become #2 or if they need to draft a QB higher who might eventually replace Clemens as #2 QB.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I hope they start him or he comes in and tears it up just so we can return to this discussion. I remember another QB who was cut and no one ever heard of and ended up being one of the best to ever play the game. Hint: Mike Martz said he pay him $50 if he would learn to throw a spiral. Coaches aren't always right.

You mean the 28 year old journeyman QB who had been in 2 NFL camps prior to getting his shot with the Rams? The guy who had played more football than most of the backups that had been in the league that were of the same age?

Again, when you find a true comparison, get back to me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I say if we are up by 20+ by the end of the 3rd quarter, they should put Davis in. Other then that i don't see him going in. As much as i am not a Clemens fan, he has done decent enough to continue starting and finishing games. As i have said many times, Clemens will not lose us games, but he wont win them for us either. So if we have a good lead, might as well throw Davis in to get him some experience at the least and see what he has(even if on a very small scale), that would help Fisher and Snead know what they have in him and if he has any kind of future with us or a future where he might become #2 or if they need to draft a QB higher who might eventually replace Clemens as #2 QB.

Seriously? So please tell me how putting him in a game with a 20+ point lead would tell you anything about "what he has"? Unless you are going to evaluate how he turns and hands the ball off to milk the clock, not sure how being in that kind of "game situation" would do anything for him, or the coaches. You think Fisher and Snead don't see on a daily basis "that they have in Davis"?

This is all about a bunch of fans who are curious about the next greatest discovery, somehow thinking their curiosity should take precedent over actually trying to win a football game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Seriously? So please tell me how putting him in a game with a 20+ point lead would tell you anything about "what he has"? Unless you are going to evaluate how he turns and hands the ball off to milk the clock, not sure how being in that kind of "game situation" would do anything for him, or the coaches. You think Fisher and Snead don't see on a daily basis "that they have in Davis"?

This is all about a bunch of fans who are curious about the next greatest discovery, somehow thinking their curiosity should take precedent over actually trying to win a football game.
I think you have it right there. I think most people that discuss this are curious about how Davis would do now because they have seen what Clemens offers. And of course, the coaching staff sees it everyday at practice and know exactly what they have in Davis and obviously think Clemens gives the team the best shot at winning. The same rings true with Pead and I'm guilty of wanting to see him play but obviously the coaches think he's our 4th back and probably will have him packing his bags come May.