Any worthy QBs in next years draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't scouted these guys to the point where I'd be comfortable making an evaluation but these are the guys, imo, worth keeping an eye on and I added some of my preliminary observations:
Marcus Mariota QB Oregon - Great athlete, strong character with gobs of arm talent but lower body mechanics, lack of bulk and a questionable offensive system are issues
Bryce Petty QB Baylor - Thickly built QB with impressive athleticism, a strong arm, and great decision making but offensive system is an issue as is his age and his performance against his top competition
Brett Hundley QB UCLA - Physical specimen coming from a system that is more pro style in nature but lacks consistency with his accuracy, decision making and mechanics
Kevin Hogan QB Stanford - Big guy with solid mobility and a strong arm coming from a pro style system but I hate his throwing motion and he has major mechanical deficiencies in his game
Jameis Winston QB Florida State - Student of the game with a NFL body, good mobility, a strong arm, and command of a pro style offense but allowed his weight to balloon during the season, has character questions, and an elongated release
Connor Cook QB Michigan State - Mentally sound with a NFL body and a good arm in a pro style offense but needs to be more consistent with his lower body mechanics, needs to display better pocket presence in the face of pressure and isn't an elite physical specimen
Jacob Coker QB Alabama - Incredible physical specimen in a pro style system but has no starting experience

Sean Mannion is another name that's mentioned but I want nothing to do with him. I'm also not a huge fan of Hogan because of how much I dislike his throwing motion. I think it's an issue in the NFL and I think it hinders his accuracy.

Right now, this draft is more or less stocked with big, athletic, strong armed QBs that need to show more consistency in terms of accuracy and mental acuity as well as improved technical aspects to their game. Connor Cook is really the major exception when it comes to the top tier QBs in that he's not really the strong armed athlete type. Although he's not lacking in arm strength or athleticism but he's more of the intelligent, technically sound kid. However, he does need refinement when it comes to his lower body and, as I said, he really needs to show better pocket presence in the face of pressure.

It's certainly an interesting draft with a lot of good names. We'll see how they do in the fall and who chooses to come out. I hate, though, that I'm already thinking about this.
can any of them scramble. it's time for a little more mobility

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you mean about Petty's age? He'll be 24 when he's drafted.

Bretty Hunley also runs almost the same system Bradford did in college.

I agree on Hogan

Can you expand on Mannion? Edit: Just saw you already did that.

Exactly. Petty will be 24 by the time he's drafted. Historically, that's not something that's panned out well for QBs. Plus, when you have the other QBs that are all 21-22 years old, that's a difference maker considering they'll be two years ahead of him in development when they're 24.

Jim Mora Jr.'s roots are in the WCO. I've got no issues with Hundley's system. But I didn't have much of an issue with Bradford's system either.

Any reason in particular? Arm strength, mechanics, character, etc?

His throwing motion is atrocious. And I don't think he's a particularly accurate or talented QB. I still remember how terribly he screwed Markus Wheaton over in 2012 by consistently missing him or under-throwing him on deep balls after Wheaton beat his man. Mannion improved last year but even then, I didn't think he was consistently accurate enough for a guy with his mechanical issues, lack of mobility, and lack of an elite arm.

What does he really offer? Yea, he has size and yea, his arm is good in terms of strength. But he doesn't really have any special attributes imo and has some absolutely glaring flaws.

can any of them scramble. it's time for a little more mobility

All of them can. Cook is the only one that I'd say isn't overly mobile. Even he has some mobility. Hogan, Winston, Hundley, Mariota, and Petty are all dangerous runners with Mariota, Petty, and Hundley all rumored to run in that 4.5/4.6 range(Mariota might run in the 4.4 range). Coker is a mobile guy for his size.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Right now my favorite is Sean Mannion from Oregon St.

A couple of guys to watch who could climb draft boards

Connor Cook -- Michigan State
Taylor Kelly -- Arizona State
Gunner Kiel -- Cincinnati
A lot to like about Mannion. He has the build and a pretty strong arm. Granted I am going by the fact that I get to watch him play a lot and not by his measurables in reality.

The thing is that I have also been able to watch Mariota play quite a bit (my youngest is a student at Oregon and my oldest went to THE OSU - Oregon State University) and he has been a QB that almost never threw an INT but started to throw them late in the season last year. I see him more of a system QB and not a true NFL QB. He doesn't wow you with the other things you might want in terms of being able to make plays when the pass is not there and he definitely won't WOW you with his arm - at least as far as I have witnessed.

I think it is just the opposite with Mannion. Watch out for this kid. As an Oregon boy (transplant) I'd love nothing better than to see a guy from Oregon play for our team - much like when we drafted SJ. But for my money, that Oregon QB I'd like to see is Mannion and NOT Mariota.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Exactly. Petty will be 24 by the time he's drafted. Historically, that's not something that's panned out well for QBs. Plus, when you have the other QBs that are all 21-22 years old, that's a difference maker considering they'll be two years ahead of him in development when they're 24.

Jim Mora Jr.'s roots are in the WCO. I've got no issues with Hundley's system. But I didn't have much of an issue with Bradford's system either.

His throwing motion is atrocious. And I don't think he's a particularly accurate or talented QB. I still remember how terribly he screwed Markus Wheaton over in 2012 by consistently missing him or under-throwing him on deep balls after Wheaton beat his man. Mannion improved last year but even then, I didn't think he was consistently accurate enough for a guy with his mechanical issues, lack of mobility, and lack of an elite arm.

What does he really offer? Yea, he has size and yea, his arm is good in terms of strength. But he doesn't really have any special attributes imo and has some absolutely glaring flaws.

All of them can. Cook is the only one that I'd say isn't overly mobile. Even he has some mobility. Hogan, Winston, Hundley, Mariota, and Petty are all dangerous runners with Mariota, Petty, and Hundley all rumored to run in that 4.5/4.6 range(Mariota might run in the 4.4 range). Coker is a mobile guy for his size.
Gotta disagree with you a bit here Jrry. I have watched virtually every OSU and Ducks game with these two QBs. This year will tell us a lot but Mannion has progressed and has demonstrated himself beyond the system. I'm not so sure the same can be said about Mariota and he has had MUCH better talent around him - aside from Cooks. The nice thing is that we can actually get another year to watch the two. But I really think Mannion is the better of the two when it comes to the NFL.

Now take this all with a grain of salt being that your boy Teddy looks like he will be pretty damn good when the dust all settles.

A.J. Smith

UDFA
Name
A.J.
A lot to like about Mannion. He has the build and a pretty strong arm. Granted I am going by the fact that I get to watch him play a lot and not by his measurables in reality.

The thing is that I have also been able to watch Mariota play quite a bit (my youngest is a student at Oregon and my oldest went to THE OSU - Oregon State University) and he has been a QB that almost never threw an INT but started to throw them late in the season last year. I see him more of a system QB and not a true NFL QB. He doesn't wow you with the other things you might want in terms of being able to make plays when the pass is not there and he definitely won't WOW you with his arm - at least as far as I have witnessed.

I think it is just the opposite with Mannion. Watch out for this kid. As an Oregon boy (transplant) I'd love nothing better than to see a guy from Oregon play for our team - much like when we drafted SJ. But for my money, that Oregon QB I'd like to see is Mannion and NOT Mariota.

Classic Oregon State fan. Always hating.

Mannion is pretty good. He's not Mariota though. Not really that close. Its pretty well documented he was playing through a knee injury the last half of the season last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta disagree with you a bit here Jrry. I have watched virtually every OSU and Ducks game with these two QBs. This year will tell us a lot but Mannion has progressed and has demonstrated himself beyond the system. I'm not so sure the same can be said about Mariota and he has had MUCH better talent around him - aside from Cooks. The nice thing is that we can actually get another year to watch the two. But I really think Mannion is the better of the two when it comes to the NFL.

Now take this all with a grain of salt being that your boy Teddy looks like he will be pretty damn good when the dust all settles.

Mariota has his issues that concern me but he has a much better combination of attributes. People are underestimating how important a QB's throwing motion is. Mannion's throwing motion is bad. His release is slow.

I'll take a risk on a guy like Mariota with his physical upside and compact delivery hoping that I can fix his footwork issues and pocket movement.

As it stands now, Sean Mannion doesn't look like a player capable of developing into a quality NFL starting QB to me. We'll see if he can change my mind this year but I'm not counting on it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Answering the original question. More often than not it will take several weeks of college play to sort this out. Year after year the initial list get dramatically altered as the season progresses and with this years crop I think more of the same with all the front runners having been mentioned. I would keep an eye on Everett Golson as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mariota has his issues that concern me but he has a much better combination of attributes. People are underestimating how important a QB's throwing motion is. Mannion's throwing motion is bad. His release is slow.

I'll take a risk on a guy like Mariota with his physical upside and compact delivery hoping that I can fix his footwork issues and pocket movement.

As it stands now, Sean Mannion doesn't look like a player capable of developing into a quality NFL starting QB to me. We'll see if he can change my mind this year but I'm not counting on it.
I have to admit, I haven't paid that much attention to his throwing motion. I will indeed get plenty of chances to tune into that this year as well as Mariota's attributes. Thanks for the response as it gives me something more to concentrate on than OSU's totally inexplicable losses to division 2 teams early in the season. :oops:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to admit, I haven't paid that much attention to his throwing motion. I will indeed get plenty of chances to tune into that this year as well as Mariota's attributes. Thanks for the response as it gives me something more to concentrate on than OSU's totally inexplicable losses to division 2 teams early in the season. :oops:

It's an issue. He holds the ball low to start with(and doesn't maintain any consistency with it) and then drops the ball down to hip/thigh level when cocking back before bringing it up to fire. It's a windmill style motion similar to Tebow's but not quite as slow or nearly as stiff and deliberate. Still, while not as slow as Tebow, it's still a slow release.

You see it when he reaches back to put zip on the ball so you don't see it 100% of the time as he short arms some passes. But when you do see it, it's noticeable.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's an issue. He holds the ball low to start with(and doesn't maintain any consistency with it) and then drops the ball down to hip/thigh level when cocking back before bringing it up to fire. It's a windmill style motion similar to Tebow's but not quite as slow or nearly as stiff and deliberate. Still, while not as slow as Tebow, it's still a slow release.

You see it when he reaches back to put zip on the ball so you don't see it 100% of the time as he short arms some passes. But when you do see it, it's noticeable.
Cool. I'll watch that.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Mariota is definitely the most talented, but he does have some injury history racking up at Oregon.
Bryce Petty is currently listed to be taken in the third round, but he throws a good ball, and has good deep ball accuracy.
Sean Mannion has prototypical NFL size, and arm strength. Could develop into a good starter.
Winston is probably going to stay until he graduates.
Hundley is meh.

With some of the issues Winston has had I will be surprised if he stays at FSU for two more seasons.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
With some of the issues Winston has had I will be surprised if he stays at FSU for two more seasons.

I imagine if he's eligible and projected as the #1 pick he'd come out regardless of his comments that he wants to win multiple championships and continue pitching for their baseball team.