Any worthy QBs in next years draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Right now my favorite is Sean Mannion from Oregon St.

A couple of guys to watch who could climb draft boards

Connor Cook -- Michigan State
Taylor Kelly -- Arizona State
Gunner Kiel -- Cincinnati

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Looks like we'll have some decent choices. Makes college football really relevant for us. Petty has great size and a gunslinger to boot.

Question is will they pull the trigger on any of them or recycle Bradford again.

If you're looking to grow the brand, and take the next step, I think at this point that you have to move on from Bradford. They have to assume that after tearing the same ligament twice in the same year that he's going to be lost, and not worth the financial commitment to keep him. Now if he wants to prove his worth, resign him for 3 million and see what happens. But, we need to make sure the contingency is in place.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
I still cant believe this is a topic 3 weeks into preseason. The pain of being a Rams fan

Mick

Pro Bowler
As a huge UCLA fan, I would be sick if Hundley is drafted by us, and not in a good way :sick:...great athlete, but his accuracy is horrific....I do really like Mannion though, and Marriota to a lesser degree.

jjab360

Legend
I don't like Mariota, Petty, or Hundley much at all, tbh.

Keep an eye out for Kevin Hogan from Stanford.

The guy I'd really love is only gonna be a sophomore..he will be a high pick, and probably come out his junior year. And that is Connor Cook from Michigan State. I think he's gonna be a really good one ! Can already make all of the throws, and is a big framed kid . Already plays in a pro style offense.

Cook's a Junior this year, and redshirted as a freshman, so will be 22 at the start of the 2015 season.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a good preview on QBs.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2015qbpreview.html

Keep an eye on Petty even though he's pegged as a system QB which I don't think fits Fish/Shotty desires. I don't really disagree, get the guy you want, but Petty will put up big #s. Hogan seems more to their liking if he comes out early.
good info. sounds like right now none of them have much hype and don't have that franchise tag on them. no bueno

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Winston has been saying for a while that he wants to graduate and will play two more seasons, so you guys can take him off your lists. The rams wouldnt be in position to draft him anyways. Start looking at upper middle tier guys.
Yeah, no player has ever said that before only to go where the money is. Also...this time last year there was no way in hell Bridgewater wasn't going to be a top 3 pick.

Let's not start dismissing who and where the Rams might be drafting next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't scouted these guys to the point where I'd be comfortable making an evaluation but these are the guys, imo, worth keeping an eye on and I added some of my preliminary observations:
Marcus Mariota QB Oregon - Great athlete, strong character with gobs of arm talent but lower body mechanics, lack of bulk and a questionable offensive system are issues
Bryce Petty QB Baylor - Thickly built QB with impressive athleticism, a strong arm, and great decision making but offensive system is an issue as is his age and his performance against his top competition
Brett Hundley QB UCLA - Physical specimen coming from a system that is more pro style in nature but lacks consistency with his accuracy, decision making and mechanics
Kevin Hogan QB Stanford - Big guy with solid mobility and a strong arm coming from a pro style system but I hate his throwing motion and he has major mechanical deficiencies in his game
Jameis Winston QB Florida State - Student of the game with a NFL body, good mobility, a strong arm, and command of a pro style offense but allowed his weight to balloon during the season, has character questions, and an elongated release
Connor Cook QB Michigan State - Mentally sound with a NFL body and a good arm in a pro style offense but needs to be more consistent with his lower body mechanics, needs to display better pocket presence in the face of pressure and isn't an elite physical specimen
Jacob Coker QB Alabama - Incredible physical specimen in a pro style system but has no starting experience

Sean Mannion is another name that's mentioned but I want nothing to do with him. I'm also not a huge fan of Hogan because of how much I dislike his throwing motion. I think it's an issue in the NFL and I think it hinders his accuracy.

Right now, this draft is more or less stocked with big, athletic, strong armed QBs that need to show more consistency in terms of accuracy and mental acuity as well as improved technical aspects to their game. Connor Cook is really the major exception when it comes to the top tier QBs in that he's not really the strong armed athlete type. Although he's not lacking in arm strength or athleticism but he's more of the intelligent, technically sound kid. However, he does need refinement when it comes to his lower body and, as I said, he really needs to show better pocket presence in the face of pressure.

It's certainly an interesting draft with a lot of good names. We'll see how they do in the fall and who chooses to come out. I hate, though, that I'm already thinking about this.

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I really wanted Garapollo in this draft, and not just because I'm an EIU alum... and then the Cheatriots take him. I think they have to take a QB in next year's draft. I just hope we don't have that high of a pick where we have to take one of the 'elite' ones with a top pick. But I'd love to have Mariotta.

yea for a while it sounded like garapollo would go in 3rd or 4th round and i was hopeing we would get him. he has the quickest release i have seen in a long time. dam cheaters anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My personal opinion of Sean Mannion is that he's this year's Tahj Boyd. I think he's going to drop like a rock from now until the draft. I've watched this guy for a few years now and he's not a guy worth picking in the first two days of the draft.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I haven't scouted these guys to the point where I'd be comfortable making an evaluation but these are the guys, imo, worth keeping an eye on and I added some of my preliminary observations:
Marcus Mariota QB Oregon - Great athlete, strong character with gobs of arm talent but lower body mechanics, lack of bulk and a questionable offensive system are issues
Bryce Petty QB Baylor - Thickly built QB with impressive athleticism, a strong arm, and great decision making but offensive system is an issue as is his age and his performance against his top competition
Brett Hundley QB UCLA - Physical specimen coming from a system that is more pro style in nature but lacks consistency with his accuracy, decision making and mechanics
Kevin Hogan QB Stanford - Big guy with solid mobility and a strong arm coming from a pro style system but I hate his throwing motion and he has major mechanical deficiencies in his game
Jameis Winston QB Florida State - Student of the game with a NFL body, good mobility, a strong arm, and command of a pro style offense but allowed his weight to balloon during the season, has character questions, and an elongated release
Connor Cook QB Michigan State - Mentally sound with a NFL body and a good arm in a pro style offense but needs to be more consistent with his lower body mechanics, needs to display better pocket presence in the face of pressure and isn't an elite physical specimen
Jacob Coker QB Alabama - Incredible physical specimen in a pro style system but has no starting experience

Sean Mannion is another name that's mentioned but I want nothing to do with him. I'm also not a huge fan of Hogan because of how much I dislike his throwing motion. I think it's an issue in the NFL and I think it hinders his accuracy.

Right now, this draft is more or less stocked with big, athletic, strong armed QBs that need to show more consistency in terms of accuracy and mental acuity as well as improved technical aspects to their game. Connor Cook is really the major exception when it comes to the top tier QBs in that he's not really the strong armed athlete type. Although he's not lacking in arm strength or athleticism but he's more of the intelligent, technically sound kid. However, he does need refinement when it comes to his lower body and, as I said, he really needs to show better pocket presence in the face of pressure.

It's certainly an interesting draft with a lot of good names. We'll see how they do in the fall and who chooses to come out. I hate, though, that I'm already thinking about this.

What do you mean about Petty's age? He'll be 24 when he's drafted.

Bretty Hunley also runs almost the same system Bradford did in college.

I agree on Hogan

Can you expand on Mannion? Edit: Just saw you already did that.

jjab360

Legend
My personal opinion of Sean Mannion is that he's this year's Tahj Boyd. I think he's going to drop like a rock from now until the draft. I've watched this guy for a few years now and he's not a guy worth picking in the first two days of the draft.
Any reason in particular? Arm strength, mechanics, character, etc?

A320driver

Rookie
Cook's a Junior this year, and redshirted as a freshman, so will be 22 at the start of the 2015 season.
Glad you corrected me Maybe a RS sophmore I was thinking ? either way thats awesome we could get him ..he looked the part in the big game against Stanford..MSU looking good again in the big ten...he has an improved year and hes definitely a first day pick.

Irish

Starter
Part of me wants a mobile/read option QB to pair with our increasingly capable running game.

Nick Marshall, anyone?

jjab360

Legend
Part of me wants a mobile/read option QB to pair with our increasingly capable running game.

Nick Marshall, anyone?
I seriously doubts Nick Marshall ever even comes close to playing QB in the NFL