Any worthy QBs in next years draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I don't watch enough college football to make any judgements here but who's gonna be on the board next year worthy to draft cus seems like Fisher is sticking with Hill this year and its too early to know about any potential trades or pickups next offseason whether they keep Bradford restructured and on the bench or not.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Next years QB class looks better than this years - but there is still a full season of college ball to play.

Mariotta, Hundley, and Winston are the big 3 names to start the season off but that will fluctuate - it generally does.

Far too early to judge, Bortles was a no name this time last year (at least to me and I follow college ball quite far too closely to be healthy) and Bridgewater was the undoubted #1 pick.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Next years QB class looks better than this years - but there is still a full season of college ball to play.

Mariotta, Hundley, and Winston are the big 3 names to start the season off but that will fluctuate - it generally does.
yea the whole bullshit now about all these outsiders saying "oh see! they shouldve drafted a qb!". Its bullshit no one was worth drafting this year to waste such an important piece to finish rebuilding our team with but now we look dumb either way.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Winston has been saying for a while that he wants to graduate and will play two more seasons, so you guys can take him off your lists. The rams wouldnt be in position to draft him anyways. Start looking at upper middle tier guys.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I wouldn't touch Winston. But the other two, I would jump on.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Yeah, our FO will be focusing once more on QBs this draft. It's a good year for QBs, or should be, at least.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Id be sick if we drafted Winston. Don't think we would - but its good to hear he's staying in college. Lets wait and see how the season plays out. Guys rise and fall but I really like Mariota.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I really wanted Garapollo in this draft, and not just because I'm an EIU alum... and then the Cheatriots take him. I think they have to take a QB in next year's draft. I just hope we don't have that high of a pick where we have to take one of the 'elite' ones with a top pick. But I'd love to have Mariotta.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Winston, Mariota, Hundley, Petty, Mannion all could be 1st/early 2nd rounders this year potentially. And those are just the big names. There are a few others as well.

My super dark horse is Jacob Coker. Was back-up to Winston and now at Alabama in the mix to be starter. Has not started a game and only played a few snaps in mop up duty.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Mariota is definitely the most talented, but he does have some injury history racking up at Oregon.
Bryce Petty is currently listed to be taken in the third round, but he throws a good ball, and has good deep ball accuracy.
Sean Mannion has prototypical NFL size, and arm strength. Could develop into a good starter.
Winston is probably going to stay until he graduates.
Hundley is meh.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If I'm Les, I'd take a very close look at guys with a few years in the NFL who might be coming off their rookie deals next year that we could potentially grab in FA or that we could reasonably get in a trade over drafting a green rookie to start next year. I'm blowing smoke at this point though as I have nobody in particular in mind. Sucks that we're even discussing this but it is what it is.

The best thing we can do between now and next offseason though is to support Hill.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
yea the whole bullcrap now about all these outsiders saying "oh see! they shouldve drafted a qb!". Its bullcrap no one was worth drafting this year to waste such an important piece to finish rebuilding our team with but now we look dumb either way.

A lot of people wanted them to use a higher pick on a backup this year. I know I did. But apparently the draft slots didnt meet the value they put on the QBs this year. Sometimes the draft doesn't fall right and it certainly seemed that the Rams were bent on drafting what they felt was BPA in the early rounds.

A320driver

Rookie
The guy I'd really love is only gonna be a sophomore..he will be a high pick, and probably come out his junior year. And that is Connor Cook from Michigan State. I think he's gonna be a really good one ! Can already make all of the throws, and is a big framed kid . Already plays in a pro style offense.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A lot of people wanted them to use a higher pick on a backup this year. I know I did. But apparently the draft slots didnt meet the value they put on the QBs this year. Sometimes the draft doesn't fall right and it certainly seemed that the Rams were bent on drafting what they felt was BPA in the early rounds.
yea where players were falling and the strength of the QB class I would still have had them do the same thing (even in hind site) building foundation and gamble on Bradford.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Here's a good preview on QBs.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2015qbpreview.html

Keep an eye on Petty even though he's pegged as a system QB which I don't think fits Fish/Shotty desires. I don't really disagree, get the guy you want, but Petty will put up big #s. Hogan seems more to their liking if he comes out early.

At this point, Petty is my guy. I'm going to be drumming him up unless he has a couple more games like their loss last year.

As a red shirt senior he's had plenty of development in college, and will come in ready to compete. I love the ball he throws, it reminds me of watching Kurts ball through the air. It's extremely catch able. He's not extremely tall, but at 6'3 229, he's built like a tank.

duckhunter

Starter
At this point, Petty is my guy. I'm going to be drumming him up unless he has a couple more games like their loss last year.

As a red shirt senior he's had plenty of development in college, and will come in ready to compete. I love the ball he throws, it reminds me of watching Kurts ball through the air. It's extremely catch able. He's not extremely tall, but at 6'3 229, he's built like a tank.

Looks like we'll have some decent choices. Makes college football really relevant for us. Petty has great size and a gunslinger to boot.

Question is will they pull the trigger on any of them or recycle Bradford again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
yea where players were falling and the strength of the QB class I would still have had them do the same thing (even in hind site) building foundation and gamble on Bradford.

I was hoping they would take a guy to groom as a backup a bit earlier. Maybe they felt Gilbert was a great value that should have gone higher and he is the guy to develop behind Hill as a third stringer. They just spent half of a season with the backup being the starter. In that case they had to call the guy they cut back to be the backup. If Clemens had been injured then Davis, who they didnt think was good enough to backup would have started. So why not Aaron Murray? Or AJ McCarron? They supposedly liked them. I would argue that with Cunningham and Stacy they really didnt need Mason. Maybe a third round QB (which is what I expected) would have been appropriate.

I like the BPA philosophy if it is BPA in a position of need. Backup QB was a position of need.

Now they are strapped with the question. Do we trade for someone or do we keep the picks in case we need to trade up to draft someone.