Another Arctic blast poised to usher in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cumberland, MD

NIGHT

10°LO
Real Feel® -6°Precipitation 14%

Partly cloudy and cold
------------------------------
U.S. Average Temperature Plummets to 11 deg. F

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2018/01/u-s-average-temperature-plummets-to-11-deg-f/

This morning at 7 a.m. EST, the area average temperature across the contiguous 48 states was a frigid 11 deg. F.

Over 85% of the nation is below freezing, and nearly 1/3 is below 0 deg. F. The forecast is for cold air to continue to flow down out of Canada into the central and eastern U.S. for most of the coming week.

us_chill.gif

c274761c5313b512a80df902967b0f4b.jpg

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Cumberland, MD

NIGHT

10°LO
Real Feel® -6°Precipitation 14%

Partly cloudy and cold
------------------------------
U.S. Average Temperature Plummets to 11 deg. F

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2018/01/u-s-average-temperature-plummets-to-11-deg-f/

This morning at 7 a.m. EST, the area average temperature across the contiguous 48 states was a frigid 11 deg. F.

Over 85% of the nation is below freezing, and nearly 1/3 is below 0 deg. F. The forecast is for cold air to continue to flow down out of Canada into the central and eastern U.S. for most of the coming week.

us_chill.gif

c274761c5313b512a80df902967b0f4b.jpg

uscold.jpg

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Got it. We live in a polar CLIMATE.

Oh crap! We overshot it on all the CO2 corrections!! Quick, everyone with an SUV go drive around a bunch!
:yay:"Somebody call Bill Nye, the Mechanical Engineer. He'll know what to do!"

-We have no control over our weather systems. Although we sure could use a warmer overall climate. If we did have a period of warmth, it would mean a better growing season for crops. Not some of the panic and doom and gloom. Those were just used to take more of our rights, and cripple the American economy.

Go back and look at Agores Inconvenient Lie. Are Florida and New York City under water?

We've had 19 straight years of temperatures not rising. You know "the pause"? :rolleyes:

China is laughing its ass off at us.

Psycho_X

Legend
Cold doesn't bother me too much but it is freaking COLD right now. The only real pain in the ass about it is convincing the dogs to go outside to take a dump.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Calling for 12”-16” of snow Thursday here!

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Got it. We live in a polar CLIMATE.

Oh crap! We overshot it on all the CO2 corrections!! Quick, everyone with an SUV go drive around a bunch!
:yay:"Somebody call Bill Nye, the Mechanical Engineer. He'll know what to do!"

-We have no control over our weather systems. Although we sure could use a warmer overall climate. If we did have a period of warmth, it would mean a better growing season for crops. Not some of the panic and doom and gloom. Those were just used to take more of our rights, and cripple the American economy.

Go back and look at Agores Inconvenient Lie. Are Florida and New York City under water?

We've had 19 straight years of temperatures not rising. You know "the pause"? :rolleyes:

China is laughing its ass off at us.

Believe whatever you want. I'm not trying to turn this into a political climate change debate. The "weather" is not climate change. Maybe you believe it is. I just wanted to post the difference. The climate doesn't care about political debates. Earth doesn't care. And I don't much either anymore.

That's all I have to say about it.

But yeah--it's cold right now, for sure.

I think we can agree on that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.studyfinds.org/earth-natural-thermostat-climate/

Study: Earth Has A ‘Natural Thermostat’ To Regulate Climate During Extreme Temperature Swings
by Craig T Lee

PARIS — The possibility of controlling the Earth’s temperature has long led to various experiments by inquisitive scientists, but without great results. Now a recent study found proof for the first time ever of a natural thermostat that helps regulate the planet during extreme temperature swings.

British scientists say they’ve discovered that the preeminent mechanism that allows the Earth to recover from global cooling events is linked to the weathering of rocks. Rocks dissolve by rain and river water during the weathering process, and carbon dioxide is taken from the atmosphere to carbon-rich rocks in nearby waterways. When weathering runs its course, there’s a decrease in carbon dioxide on our planet.

The researchers examined rocks from about 445 million years ago, which matches out to the second largest extinction period in the planet’s history. Using samples from Canada and Scotland, the rocks showed that the global chemical weathering rate declined, which meant less carbon dioxide was removed and the climate was able to recover from the cool temperature.

“From looking at the relative abundance of lithium isotopes in ocean-derived rocks, we were able to confirm that chemical weathering is the driver of the Earth’s natural thermostat,” explains lead scientist, Dr. Philip Pogge von Strandmann, in a news release. “When there is a warmer climate, there is more weathering, and when it is cooler there is less weathering: this is what you would expect, given that chemical reactions go faster with increasing temperature.”

The researchers had discovered evidence in earlier studies that showed weathering played a significant part in the Earth cooling down during periods of extreme heat, but the latest study proved just the opposite — when the planet experiences major cold spells, weathering slows and the “natural thermostat” allows the world to warm back up.

“This is the process that has allowed life to survive on Earth for around 4 billion years,” says Pogge von Strandman.

This study’s findings were published in the June 2017 edition of the peer-reviewed journal Geochemical Perspectives Letters.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
https://www.studyfinds.org/earth-natural-thermostat-climate/

Study: Earth Has A ‘Natural Thermostat’ To Regulate Climate During Extreme Temperature Swings
by Craig T Lee

PARIS — The possibility of controlling the Earth’s temperature has long led to various experiments by inquisitive scientists, but without great results. Now a recent study found proof for the first time ever of a natural thermostat that helps regulate the planet during extreme temperature swings.

British scientists say they’ve discovered that the preeminent mechanism that allows the Earth to recover from global cooling events is linked to the weathering of rocks. Rocks dissolve by rain and river water during the weathering process, and carbon dioxide is taken from the atmosphere to carbon-rich rocks in nearby waterways. When weathering runs its course, there’s a decrease in carbon dioxide on our planet.

The researchers examined rocks from about 445 million years ago, which matches out to the second largest extinction period in the planet’s history. Using samples from Canada and Scotland, the rocks showed that the global chemical weathering rate declined, which meant less carbon dioxide was removed and the climate was able to recover from the cool temperature.

“From looking at the relative abundance of lithium isotopes in ocean-derived rocks, we were able to confirm that chemical weathering is the driver of the Earth’s natural thermostat,” explains lead scientist, Dr. Philip Pogge von Strandmann, in a news release. “When there is a warmer climate, there is more weathering, and when it is cooler there is less weathering: this is what you would expect, given that chemical reactions go faster with increasing temperature.”

The researchers had discovered evidence in earlier studies that showed weathering played a significant part in the Earth cooling down during periods of extreme heat, but the latest study proved just the opposite — when the planet experiences major cold spells, weathering slows and the “natural thermostat” allows the world to warm back up.

“This is the process that has allowed life to survive on Earth for around 4 billion years,” says Pogge von Strandman.

This study’s findings were published in the June 2017 edition of the peer-reviewed journal Geochemical Perspectives Letters.

Yeah--but none of that will save us. The planet--sure. It takes too long: "hundreds of thousands of years"

Here's another article about it: https://phys.org/news/2017-08-proof-earth-natural-thermostat.html

Study gives first proof that the Earth has a natural thermostat
August 15, 2017, Goldschmidt Conference

New data provides the first proof that the Earth has a natural thermostat which enables the planet to recover from extremes of climate change - but the recovery timescales are significant. This work is presented today at the Goldschmidt conference in Paris, and has just been published in the peer-reviewed journal Geochemical Perspectives Letters.

The idea of a natural temperature thermostat was first proposed in 1981, but until now no-one has been able to provide data to show that the recovery from the hot and cold temperature fluctuations were associated with a specific mechanism.

Now a group of British scientists has shown that recovery from global cooling events is associated with changes in the rate of weathering of rocks, which is the main mechanism of removing CO2 from the atmosphere. In weathering, rocks are dissolved by rain and river water; the process removes CO2 from the atmosphere, which is then transported to the seas by rivers to be locked up in carbon-rich rocks such as limestone. The more weathering, the more CO2 is removed from the atmosphere.

The team had previously found evidence supporting the role of weathering in cooling the Earth in times of high temperature. This current work confirms that a slow-down of weathering takes place in cold periods, and so supports the concept of an "Earth thermostat".

The researchers were able to use the Lithium isotope ratios in rocks as a measure of weathering. They examined rocks from the period of the Hirnantian glaciation - around 445 million years ago - which correspond with the second greatest extinction of life in history, when around 85% of marine species were wiped out, due to the cooling and a dramatic drop in sea levels (estimated at around 80m) as water was locked into ice fields and glaciers.

The samples, which came from Anticosti Island (Quebec, Canada), and Dob's Linn (near Moffat, Scotland), show that global chemical weathering rate declined by a factor of four temporarily during the 5°C cooling that caused the glaciation, removing less CO2, allowing the climate to recover from the cooling.

Lead scientist, Dr Philip Pogge von Strandmann (University College London and Birkbeck, University of London) said:

"From looking at the relative abundance of lithium isotopes in ocean-derived rocks, we were able to confirm that chemical weathering is the driver of the Earth's natural thermostat. When there is a warmer climate, there is more weathering, and when it is cooler there is less weathering: this is what you would expect, given that chemical reactions go faster with increasing temperature. So more weathering removes CO2 from the atmosphere and puts a break on global warming. However, when the temperature cools, the reverse is true, and less CO2 is removed from the atmosphere in cold periods. This is the process that has allowed life to survive on Earth for around 4 billion years, and is what we are reporting in Paris".

Nevertheless, we need to be clear that the changes in temperature are gradual, and that recovery can take hundreds of thousands of years. Given the rapid increase in the rate of global warming at present, this kind of wait is not an option for us".

Commenting, Professor Jonathan Payne (Professor and Chair, Geological Sciences, Stanford University, CA, USA) said:

"The theory that chemical weathering provides a stabilizing feedback on Earth's climate goes back several decades, but observational confirmation of this hypothesis has been incomplete. In this study, Pogge von Strandmann and colleagues add a critical new piece of confirmation by using lithium isotopes to demonstrate a reduction in the chemical weathering rate associated with climate cooling - exactly the behaviour predicted if rates of chemical weathering serve as a stabilizing feedback on climate. This study illustrates beautifully how new isotope proxy systems are enabling critical new tests of hypotheses both old and new and, in this case, confirming a theory that helps to explain why the Earth has enabled life to flourish continuously for more than 3.5 billion years".

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-08-proof-earth-natural-thermostat.html#jCp

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Okay--and THAT last one was truly my last post on this. Lol! I promise.

I'm headed back to the football boards and movie reviews.

I really kind of hate that it seems that everything in life has become political and divisive.

I'm just enjoying the Rams right now--and there is nothing political about that for me. They are the best team in the NFL win or lose. No matter the weather or anything else--we all agree on that.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Interesting article. What’s great is that technology has allowed for cleaning of our atmosphere. (Just think of how smoggy LA was in the ‘70s before the catalytic converter and smoke stack filtering)

Carbon dioxide is a totally other matter. It was dangerously low for the longest time. Plants have a hard time growing when it is in the 150-250 range. We are now up in a more comfortable 400ppm range and could stand to climb higher.

It is shocking that so many have been sold the lie that this wonderful life giving substance is a pollutant. (n)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Okay--and THAT last one was truly my last post on this. Lol! I promise.

I'm headed back to the football boards and movie reviews.

I really kind of hate that it seems that everything in life has become political and divisive.

I'm just enjoying the Rams right now--and there is nothing political about that for me. They are the best team in the NFL win or lose. No matter the weather or anything else--we all agree on that.

I hear you brother. Please don’t think any of my comments were directed at you. I appreciate your care.

:cheers:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Before we had kids my wife would do that to me.

After five kids her feet are like lava.

Last time she was pregnant, we had to put her feet in one of those square foot baths full of just ice. She’d fully melt that and we’d throw out the now warm water and repeat. Basically it took 1.5 footbaths full of ice just to make it so she’s could walk. You could feel the heat coming off of her feet. Never seen anything like it.

But yeah, when we were young, she’d do that exact move and she’d be laughing and my back would be spasming so bad I could barely breathe.

It’s all right. I got her back. When she was pregnant with our oldest, I’d all of a sudden grab her belly and shake it and shout into her belly, “TERREMOTO!!! EARTHQUAKE!!! RUN!!! RUN!!!” And the baby would feel the shouting and the shaking and he’d freak out. Once it went on for almost an hour. I stopped after that. If she could have gotten up, she woulda killed me, I’m sure of it. I still get the stink eye if anyone brings up that story.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Before we had kids my wife would do that to me.

After five kids her feet are like lava.

Last time she was pregnant, we had to put her feet in one of those square foot baths full of just ice. She’d fully melt that and we’d throw out the now warm water and repeat. Basically it took 1.5 footbaths full of ice just to make it so she’s could walk. You could feel the heat coming off of her feet. Never seen anything like it.

But yeah, when we were young, she’d do that exact move and she’d be laughing and my back would be spasming so bad I could barely breathe.

It’s all right. I got her back. When she was pregnant with our oldest, I’d all of a sudden grab her belly and shake it and shout into her belly, “TERREMOTO!!! EARTHQUAKE!!! RUN!!! RUN!!!” And the baby would feel the shouting and the shaking and he’d freak out. Once it went on for almost an hour. I stopped after that. If she could have gotten up, she woulda killed me, I’m sure of it. I still get the stink eye if anyone brings up that story.
Yes! My wife and I are originally from northern California and we were stationed in Texas when she got pregnant with our first. I mentioned that it was sad that our child would grow up scared of earthquakes because he would never experience them.

Through the whole pregnancy I used to grab her belly, shake it, and shout "Baby-quakes!" at her belly. It was really funny. I'd always try to surprise her with it. Our kid didn't freak out though, so I guess that's good.

I did it less with our second kid, but our son did it too so that was funny.