Another Arctic blast poised to usher in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR_dMP6WsAAyIaZ.jpg

Record -37° in Minnesota. Waterfall freezes!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-bitter-cold-ahead-much-northern-us-212847181.html

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
83 today here in so cal. I had to turn my ac on a little higher in my truck

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Saturday and Sunday here have the same forecast... High of 71° Low of 52°

Tuesday it's gonna be very cold for us though...
High of 56° Low of 44°

If it gets to bad up there let me know you can come down here where it's warmer.

@-X- a 16th of an inch of ice? Back home in Ohio I used to wipe that off with a bare hand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
One giant freezer in southern Manitoba, Canada.....going to dip to -15 overnight with wind chills below -30.

Geez, not getting any warmer up here.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?mb3#100155742262508628201712280501ww1171cwwg

Wind chill values ranging from -40 to -50 will occur across southern Manitoba Friday night as a frigid Arctic high pressure system sends overnight lows plummeting into the mid- to low -30s over much of the region. Wind chill values will moderate slightly on Saturday, but extreme wind chills will likely return again on Saturday night.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish we had snow. It's been cold enough for it not to melt. I could be X counterfeiting everyday. It's in the teens in PA everyday lately. I know too well because I walk the dogs three times a day.

I used to work outside all winter. The body adjusts in about two weeks. I remember thinking thirty felt pretty warm. We would have our coats open or just be wearing sweatshirts over long sleeved T-shirts. I would go home and put on shorts and t-shirt as my wife sat under a blanket complaining about the cold.

It was 18 degrees when I woke up this morning in Asheville. Had a sheet of ice a sixteenth of an inch thick on the windshield, and it took 20 minutes to get it off. Love starting out the day like that. Except I don't.

Isopropyl alcohol. Just pour or spray it on. Instant ice melt.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish we had snow.

We had 3 to 4 inches last night here in Cumberland, MD. It looks pretty but is annoying when you need to drive somewhere.

Isopropyl alcohol. Just pour or spray it on. Instant ice melt.

Good idea. Thanks.

Wow these things are expensive.

Agreed. Not spending over a hundred dollars for a pair of gloves unless they're encrusted with diamonds and you get a rare Faberge egg with the deal.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow these things are expensive. I would like to try them for hunting, but one pair is as much as my entire Carbon Scent lok suit. I wonder if they are thin enough to grip and fire a rifle.
Edit: they only got 3.5 star rating on Amazon. Not good for the price.
Can't shoot wearing anything like that. Hand warmers in the pocket work well but I keep my fingers ready to squeeze - not wrapped in something I gotta use my teeth to remove as my target is bounding away. I suppose if you are in a tree stand or something but I never been able to sit and wait.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's 73 and all blue sky, but there is a chance it'll dip below 60 degrees tonight. :hiding:

Tano

Legend
It was 18 degrees when I woke up this morning in Asheville. Had a sheet of ice a sixteenth of an inch thick on the windshield, and it took 20 minutes to get it off. Love starting out the day like that. Except I don't.
If I recall correctly, use a mixture of warm water and vinegar to get the ice off your windshield.

Think it's two parts water and 1 part vinegar.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
it's -22 below

For those keeping score at home , that's -54 degrees below freezing

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can't shoot wearing anything like that. Hand warmers in the pocket work well but I keep my fingers ready to squeeze - not wrapped in something I gotta use my teeth to remove as my target is bounding away. I suppose if you are in a tree stand or something but I never been able to sit and wait.

I have a good pair of gloves for high twenties and above. They are thin and I can operate the gun just fine with them on. But mid twenties and below, forget it. I need better equipment. I stand. Most of the woods around me is thick with crunchy oak leaves. The only time I walk is if I am pushing for my brother, Orr if it gets real windy and I walk into it. If I am walking I don't like to wear gloves, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

I remember archery hunting in the second season in five degree temps. I am not up for that anymore.

Here is a tip that worked for me this year. I used electrical tape to tape hot hands onto the underside of my wrists. It's the reverse of the cooling near the vein idea, by putting your wrists under cold water. It worked better than having them in my gloves. I later taped them to my inner thigh. That helped too. Anywhere there is a major vein or artery near the skins surface. But if you are a walker there is no need.