Another Arctic blast poised to usher in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I hate the cold weather. At the moment it's 21 degrees here in Cumberland, MD and expected to dip down to 11 degrees tonight. It won't get any warmer next week either. Yeah, I know it's winter and no one forced me to live here(except the wife), and that's just the way it is so suck it up, but still...so shut up!

I blame Canada for this. :fuelfire:

Btw in the age of technology we live in, why can't someone invent gloves that actually keep your fingers warm? :mad:

The best comment I've seen so far is "We need to throw Al Gore into a volcano and stop the madness." :)

So now it's your turn to tell me how much colder it is where you are. :cool:

the_shining_jack_nicholson.jpg

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/another-arctic-blast-poised-to-usher-in-2018/70003663

Another Arctic blast poised to usher in 2018
By Faith Eherts, AccuWeather meteorologist

Brutally cold weather will soon be refreshed as another blast of Arctic air prepares to dive through the central and eastern United States.

The new frigid blast will reach the northern Plains on Saturday, then sweep southeastward over the balance of the New Year's Day weekend.

Temperatures in Minneapolis are forecast to fail to exceed zero F on Saturday and Sunday.

“Bitterly cold arctic air will settle in across a large swath of the U.S. as we turn the calendar from 2017 to 2018,” said AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Dan Pydynowski.

“People will really need to bundle up if they are heading out Sunday night for New Year's Eve celebrations in places like Chicago, for example, where the high will be 15 F on Sunday, around 15 degrees below normal,” he warned.

Cities as far south as Nashville and Little Rock, Arkansas, will experience temperatures more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit below average by the end of the weekend. Temperatures will be no higher than the 20s at both locations on Sunday and New Year's Day.

Frigid weather is expected to reach the Big Apple just in time to chill those visiting Times Square, though the record low of minus 4 F from 1918 will not be challenged.

Temperatures will be in the lower teens as the ball drops in Midtown Manhattan on Sunday night. At that level the temperature may be within the top two lowest since records have been maintained in the 1800s.

These conditions will be dangerously cold, especially for those spending many hours outdoors overnight across the majority of the eastern two-thirds of the country.

Consuming alcoholic beverages increases the risk of hypothermia, if not alert and properly dressed, according to the Mayo Clinic.

In Atlanta, it will be the coldest New Year's Eve since welcoming in 2010, when the temperature bottomed out at 29. Temperatures may hover in the low 30s at the very start of 2018.

If the temperature fails to top 5 degrees, Chicago may tie the coldest high temperature for any New Year's Day. The only time this occurred was in 1969. That morning brought a record low of 10 degrees below zero.

“People will need to bundle up with all their winter gear in order to stay warm,” said Pydynowski.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Hey Mackeyser when ya moving to Minneapolis ?

Might want to hold off a week or two.....................lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It was 18 degrees when I woke up this morning in Asheville. Had a sheet of ice a sixteenth of an inch thick on the windshield, and it took 20 minutes to get it off. Love starting out the day like that. Except I don't.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Saturday and Sunday here have the same forecast... High of 71° Low of 52°

Tuesday it's gonna be very cold for us though...
High of 56° Low of 44°

tempests

Hall of Fame
One giant freezer in southern Manitoba, Canada.....going to dip to -15 overnight with wind chills below -30.

In the tradition of, "the weather's always crappier somewhere else", glad I'm not living in Erie, Pennsylvania this week. Poor buggers.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Columbus Ohio it has been 2 degrees each of the past two mornings as i've left work. no wind though, so not too bad. the lowest i've ever dealt with was a week straight of -20 or less at night in Indiana, Pa in January 1985. no wind there luckily, but it was down right nippy. plus, my car wouldnt start since it wasnt garaged. (oil thickens to the point where the battery cant crank the engine for all you southern folks).

Thursday / this is the forecast for delaware ohio where i live (18 miles north of columbus ohio)
cloudy.png
not nearly as bad as IowaRams forecast, so i'll take it. no snow as well. not like my
hometown of Erie Pa. thats a lot of snow even for a lake effect snow vet like myself.
16°
13°
Fri
partly_cloudy.png

21°
16°
Sat
snow_light.png

19°

Sun
partly_cloudy.png

11°
-3°
Mon
partly_cloudy.png

12°
-8°
Tue
sunny.png

14°

Wed
cloudy.png

20°

Thu
partly_cloudy.png

10°
-5°

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One giant freezer in southern Manitoba, Canada.....going to dip to -15 overnight with wind chills below -30.

In the tradition of, "the weather's always crappier somewhere else", glad I'm not living in Erie, Pennsylvania this week. Poor buggers.

my home town. thats where i learned how to drive in the snow. i've been in a couple of 1-2 foot snow "events" , but nothing like this past weekend. the worst part is that most of the city has parking on both sides of the road and you get "slots" down the middle of the street and some poor bleep has to decide who moves when 2 vehicles going opposite directions meet. made a lot of money as a kid pushing stuck cars back into the slots when they had to move "off track". oh the memories!!
I really, really, really miss snowmobiling as well. during high school I lived on a snowmobile legal road. as long as the headlight worked, you were as good as gold.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Love it!!!!

Crank up the space heaters, get some blankets, and fire up the oven for some pizza!!!!

Gonna be 46 or less which for south Texas is an ice box!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hey Mackeyser when ya moving to Minneapolis ?

Might want to hold off a week or two.....................lol

Still would take that over the humidity.

I used to actually kind of enjoy it. It's now got me almost claustrophobic.

Just need a North Face McMurdo and an insulated balaclava and I should be good.

As for @Prime Time , yes they do make gloves that keep your hands warm. They're called mittens...LOL.