Adrian Peterson will plead no contest to misdemeanor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jjab360

Legend
How's that "NFL Privilege" Working out for Darren Sharper, Aaron hernandez, etc.?

Same thing can be said for McDonald of the Niners.

DA's don't reduce charges if they're confident in their cases - period. The fact that they're reducing it by that much tells you they're legitimately worried that a Jury won't convict him, beyond a reasonable doubt..lack of evidence or whatever problems they may have from a prosecution point of view.
To be fair one of those guys was a serial rapist and the other committed multiple homicides. I think it's pretty clear there's a preferential treatment for professional football players but there's also probably not a human being on earth who could get away with crimes of that magnitude in court with enough evidence.

iced

To be fair one of those guys was a serial rapist and the other committed multiple homicides. I think it's pretty clear there's a preferential treatment for professional football players but there's also probably not a human being on earth who could get away with crimes of that magnitude in court with enough evidence.

as i mentioned before, do you see any plea deals for players with DUI's that had a BAC 1.5 or higher?

The weaker the case, the stronger chance for a deal.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
as i mentioned before, do you see any plea deals for players with DUI's that had a BAC 1.5 or higher?

Yes. Donte Stallworth copped a plea deal even though there was very much a dead body on his hands and surrendered himself to the police willingly. Pretty hard to deny that there's special treatment for NFL players on crimes that are deemed capable of being let slide. A serial rapist and a serial killer got slammed, that's not a very impressive show of NFLers getting it equally when it takes them committing multiple, heinous atrocities to actually be booked like normal people. I mean two separate guys got into cars and killed two separate people and the jail time between them was 24 days, Stallworth getting off 6 days early and Little getting no time at all, each with the evidence pretty much all their in their face.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Paid suspension? Wow.

Well, community service isn't fun I hear but it's not like being whipped on your balls or anything.

I have never (and will never) understand the punishment factor involved in a paid suspension...If he's going to be suspended, he should not be paid, IMO..If the suspension is overturned as unfair, he then should have every right to all back pay...I know when I was working I would have gone for a lifetime ban at my place of employment if it was with pay...Ouch, that would sure hurt...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Yes that CAN be the case , but not always that the later was caused by the former, I can hardly imagine a public confession constitutes a weak case,more likely it was first offense of the nature being charged with or a convincing expression of remorse or often a crowded docket and a cost of prosecution not commensurate with the DA's or judges priorities .
High profile trials require security expenditures not really attributable to court costs that the jurisdiction may not be able to recover , a LOT of considerations can come into play. What is pretty well the case is this , Peterson wouldn't have done time for this offense but with this plea of guilty even though it be a misdemeanor, if he does it again he will so the net effect is not remarkably different whichever way it went (unless there is a mandatory sentencing guideline) just spitballin' so that could be and there might be a reason for a judge to allow a plea bargain.
As for my personal preference ,I've been down on Peterson and his baby daddy propensity since his other son was murdered ,pretty clear this guy is a sperm donor who doesn't take parental responsibility to an extent I can respect so I'm of the same mind as Les ,the guy is scum IMO no matter who tries to spin it differently and his punishment aught to be mid evil. :whistle:

RamzFanz

Damnit
You also won't get plea deals if they have hard evidence against you - the bigger deal the less confident they are in their case.

How many players you see get a plea deal for DUI's when their BAC is .15 or higher?

High priced lawyers are high priced for a reason and it's usually not what they know but who they know.

I'm not sure what evidence could possibly be missing. We have the documented wounds on the victim, the perpetrator confessing guilt and the doctor who reported the abuse.

I did it, this is what I did, and that's who I did it to and here's the witnesses.

I could see leniency because he was honest and forthright which would convey to me he didn't think it was a wrongful act.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 bringing a dose of reality to the table:
Race, money, position, notoriety and other factors will always tip the scales in one direction or the other. That's just a fact of life that's not going to change anytime soon.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Um... try watching games in HD, Les. Almost everybody plays without a cup. Yet another reason to hate the 9ers is that their pants are...um...thinner than they used to be? So, watching Frank Gore run... well, I won't have to get in a shower with him to be "familiar" with him... let's just put it that way.

After making a joke about it to the family, my kids thought I was joking. Then they watched a little football. My eldest daughter, the one who came to the Tampa game who has no filter whatsoever, just blurted out, "ohmigod! DAD! There's penises everywhere! What the hell?"

I just shrugged... "Don't they wear those cups or anything? What if they get hit in the balls?"

I just shrugged...

Needless to say... now that the games are broadcast in HD... I'd prefer for guys to at least wear athletic supporters and not clearly be going commando under their pants... it's awkward to be watching with my daughters and to clearly be able to see that a guy's been circumcised. Even if they are right that cups slow them down or whatever... jock straps can't possibly do that... and I really don't need 55" of "deez nuts" in Broadcast HD brought to me by GE....

Gives new meaning to 1080P... :censored::eek::whistle:

Mac I laughed really hard at this. The first thing that came to my mind is "well if you're going to hear that from your daughter it's better that she is in your living room watching football and not on the phone calling you from her living room".

iced

High priced lawyers are high priced for a reason and it's usually not what they know but who they know.

I'm not sure what evidence could possibly be missing. We have the documented wounds on the victim, the perpetrator confessing guilt and the doctor who reported the abuse.

I did it, this is what I did, and that's who I did it to and here's the witnesses.

I could see leniency because he was honest and forthright which would convey to me he didn't think it was a wrongful act.

If the evidence was so strong he would have been indicted on the first grand jury

iced

Yes. Donte Stallworth copped a plea deal even though there was very much a dead body on his hands and surrendered himself to the police willingly. Pretty hard to deny that there's special treatment for NFL players on crimes that are deemed capable of being let slide. A serial rapist and a serial killer got slammed, that's not a very impressive show of NFLers getting it equally when it takes them committing multiple, heinous atrocities to actually be booked like normal people. I mean two separate guys got into cars and killed two separate people and the jail time between them was 24 days, Stallworth getting off 6 days early and Little getting no time at all, each with the evidence pretty much all their in their face.

That had to do with the victim's family;they wanted leniency - if they wanted blood he'd have gotten some time.

iced

Yes that CAN be the case , but not always that the later was caused by the former, I can hardly imagine a public confession constitutes a weak case,more likely it was first offense of the nature being charged with or a convincing expression of remorse or often a crowded docket and a cost of prosecution not commensurate with the DA's or judges priorities .
High profile trials require security expenditures not really attributable to court costs that the jurisdiction may not be able to recover , a LOT of considerations can come into play. What is pretty well the case is this , Peterson wouldn't have done time for this offense but with this plea of guilty even though it be a misdemeanor, if he does it again he will so the net effect is not remarkably different whichever way it went (unless there is a mandatory sentencing guideline) just spitballin' so that could be and there might be a reason for a judge to allow a plea bargain.
As for my personal preference ,I've been down on Peterson and his baby daddy propensity since his other son was murdered ,pretty clear this guy is a sperm donor who doesn't take parental responsibility to an extent I can respect so I'm of the same mind as Les ,the guy is scum IMO no matter who tries to spin it differently and his punishment aught to be mid evil. :whistle:

Looks that's just how it works imo in the legal world..

Finally got a chance to call my old man and get his opinion on this. He is a lawyer and one of his areas was actually in child abuse and domestic related cases.
His thoughts (paraphrasing but tried to keep it accurate):
-Quick deals are normal for first time offenders
-Biggest reason for the deal is the money it saves the state on having to not prosecute a case. It also quickly disposes of it and the public knows the outcome; money is the key factor though. Apparently it costs a LOT
-He wasn't familiar with the details of the case but the merits of it (the switch) he didn't believe were all that bad. He said "Hell your mother used to use the switch on you guys.. But did he break the skin?" I filled him in on the pictures and such but he believes it still pales in comparison to what he has seen. At the end he said and emphasized heavily, "You don't even want to know what i've seen"

Anyway, thought I'd share an actual lawyers thoughts.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Looks that's just how it works imo in the legal world..

Finally got a chance to call my old man and get his opinion on this. He is a lawyer and one of his areas was actually in child abuse and domestic related cases.
His thoughts (paraphrasing but tried to keep it accurate):
-Quick deals are normal for first time offenders
-Biggest reason for the deal is the money it saves the state on having to not prosecute a case. It also quickly disposes of it and the public knows the outcome; money is the key factor though. Apparently it costs a LOT
-He wasn't familiar with the details of the case but the merits of it (the switch) he didn't believe were all that bad. He said "Hell your mother used to use the switch on you guys.. But did he break the skin?" I filled him in on the pictures and such but he believes it still pales in comparison to what he has seen. At the end he said and emphasized heavily, "You don't even want to know what i've seen"

Anyway, thought I'd share an actual lawyers thoughts.

Did he mention the term "hazards of litigation" or conjure the Simpson trial ?

iced

Did he mention the term "hazards of litigation" or conjure the Simpson trial ?

lol no he started talking about some other case were apparently a former scout master that he knew was charged with attempted murder of his wife for some kind of domestic thing that got out of hand. Well when he told wife's lawyer that he wouldn't be liable for child support since he'd be in jail, they quickly reduced it to custodial interference or something lol