Additional Roster moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Sorry to see this happen to Mat the Hat. Hard to watch guys with heart who give it their all not make it because their bodies just can't keep up with their effort. Hope him well in the future.
This is always amusing to me. UDFA=heart. :snicker:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach,

Which of the two do you believe could be "coached up and or shows the desires to improve the most" so that he would be able to turn his weakness into another strength?

Thanks for the info you share.
I don't think it's that simple. . They both bring so many different things to the mix.

Reid is a liability in man coverage. But he obviously is a tenacious tackler and in zone coverage can be serviceable. He also has some value in the return game. Even if he hasn't resembled anything close to the reports of his previous skill in that area.

Roberson has better cover skills in man coverage. But is a liability in zone because he just doesn't want to close and hit anyone. His height and athleticism make him intriguing. I just think he would be better served with the proverbial red shirt year in the practice squad.

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Coach, at this point do you feel they will keep Garrett on the team or try to hold him on the practice team for a year? (I other words go w/ only 2 QBs to give them flexibility in other positions....)

Sum1

Hall of Fame
No. Strictly about how he gave it his all. You can't ask more out of a player. To me, Clowney doesn't equal heart. So where does it go from here?
Okay...but I'm just saying, what exactly did you really see out of Matt Daniels that you didn't see out of almost every other player on the Rams roster the past few years? Because I didn't see much of anything to be honest. I saw a lot of people excited that we signed him as an UDFA...then I saw him get hurt a lot. I didn't see him making any more plays on the field than any of the drafted STs players or anything like that.

Just seems like the classic case of wanting to get that diamond in the rough type of guy and he pretty much wasn't that. There has been a lot of bottom of the roster guys in the past few years that fans make the "heart" claim...similarly when a high drafted pick isn't cutting it he gets deemed as having a lack of "heart".

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, at this point do you feel they will keep Garrett on the team or try to hold him on the practice team for a year? (I other words go w/ only 2 QBs to give them flexibility in other positions....)

At this point, with all the questions about the health, (Hayes, McGee) and guys we know aren't going to be able to go week one (Jones, Johnson) I think they are gonna need every roster spot they can get. SO, I don't think they will be able to keep 3 QBs on the initial roster.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Okay...but I'm just saying, what exactly did you really see out of Matt Daniels that you didn't see out of almost every other player on the Rams roster the past few years? Because I didn't see much of anything to be honest. I saw a lot of people excited that we signed him as an UDFA...then I saw him get hurt a lot. I didn't see him making any more plays on the field than any of the drafted STs players or anything like that.

Just seems like the classic case of wanting to get that diamond in the rough type of guy and he pretty much wasn't that. There has been a lot of bottom of the roster guys in the past few years that fans make the "heart" claim...similarly when a high drafted pick isn't cutting it he gets deemed as having a lack of "heart".
Heart! I just watched repays of this preseason. Did you watch Givens on returns? Those stutter steps before the first man reaches him drive me fucking crazy. Franklin did it too. Give me a returner with some balls. Remember, TJ is on our team. He won't be tackling you.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Does either's ability/potential to play FS or special teams figure in the decision?
It's doubtful that either one is FS material. And this far, Reid would be the one guy who you would think be the guy to contribute on ST. But they have not put him on any of the cover teams. He comes with a reputation of being a "great" KR, but hasn't shown much in that area yet.

Roberson is on the 2nd KO unit, but he won't make this team because of ST.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't really think he is, but the Rams will know, him getting a look and all last year.
They worked him out in 2012 as well, wanting to sign him as a FA, but he chose to go to KC instead. I wonder how they feel about him after basically coming in, and getting hurt in the weight room the day after they signed him last year, rendering him helpless the rest of the season.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Based on how Davis looked against the Browns I would say no. I've never seen Quinn play as well and i'm a Notre Dame fan.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Heart! I just watched repays of this preseason. Did you watch Givens on returns? Those stutter steps before the first man reaches him drive me freaking crazy. Franklin did it too. Give me a returner with some balls. Remember, TJ is on our team. He won't be tackling you.
Lol

Ok

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Brady Quinn was released - is he an upgrade over Davis?

Nope. Brady Quinn has a career stat line of a terrible 53% completion percentage, a 12-17 touchdown to interception ratio, and a 64 QBR. The dude is so disappointing that he is constantly the guy getting cut from teams all around the league. The only reason we took him in last season was because it was so slim pickings that we tried to bring back Brett Favre.

Shaun Hill has more experience in the league, a 62% overall completion percentage, a 41-23 touchdown to interception ratio, and a 86 QBR all-time with several games where he posted a QBR greatly exceeding 100. Shaun Hill is definitely the better option. That's why Snisher made sure to grab him when the did.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If by coming around you mean u am realistic enough to realize that when one of their starting CBs is out for 6 weeks they need to fill that void. Than. Yes.

If you think that I've changed my mind on Reid or Roberson. Then NO.

That's kinda similar to me thinking now that Austin Davis makes this roster. When 4 days ago that was not very likely at all.

I realize that just tongue and cheek, however, Davis might have beat out Gilbert anyway, but you're correct sir now we will never know.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Nope. Brady Quinn has a career stat line of a terrible 53% completion percentage, a 12-17 touchdown to interception ratio, and a 64 QBR. The dude is so disappointing that he is constantly the guy getting cut from teams all around the league. The only reason we took him in last season was because it was so slim pickings that we tried to bring back Brett Favre.

Shaun Hill has more experience in the league, a 62% overall completion percentage, a 41-23 touchdown to interception ratio, and a 86 QBR all-time with several games where he posted a QBR greatly exceeding 100. Shaun Hill is definitely the better option. That's why Snisher made sure to grab him when the did.
He wasn't implying to bring Brady Quinn in to be the starter. He was asking if it would be an upgrade to Austin Davis as the primary backup. And I have to agree. That is a fair question. Let's face it. If they get to the point where Austin Davis has to take over the reigns, this season will be gone.

Hill gives them a fighting chance. Davis, not so much.

fearsomefour

Legend

12 TDs and $10.3 million in career earnings....its good to be a QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
He wasn't implying to bring Brady Quinn in to be the starter. He was asking if it would be an upgrade to Austin Davis as the primary backup. And I have to agree. That is a fair question. Let's face it. If they get to the point where Austin Davis has to take over the reigns, this season will be gone.

Hill gives them a fighting chance. Davis, not so much.
Davis has earned his spot I think. He knows the offense ect. put in his time, been a grinder ect.
I have no issue with Davis as a three, if he ends up playing extended time, as Coach O said, the year is over.
Trading for a guy to be the 2 this year and maybe in the future or compete with whoever the Rams bring in next year (Hill, Bradford, other) would be wise if the price was not high. Problem is, there are not many options.
As I have stated endlessly I like McGloin a lot and would trade for him post haste. Although, with Carr on the fast track in Oakland I think he is perceived as the long term backup there and probably would not be traded.