Adam Schefter Trumaine Johnson to be tagged again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well most of us don't agree with what TA got paid. That was a management decision.
And it's hard to compare a WR with a CB.
It may very well work out that way, doesn't mean it should though.

You bring up a good point. You bring up comparing a WR & a CB . I go to NFL drafts & it seems like a top CB's is drafted before a WR's ??

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
wasn't that the plan last season?

I dont think it was ever going to happen last year from either end. Now he is year older more settled in LA. It looked like he enjoyed playing in front of his family. I think there is more urgency from both sides to get something done this year. With that being said the Rams are probably more eager to get something done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm no fan of Snead btw. The GM you listed I and others here wanted as well, and I agree he was clearly a guy who was ready to show what he could do. It's not like you looked into some special crystal ball and saw something nobody else saw. But here's a newsflash for you:

None of us know.

Ballard could end up being a jackass. Goff could still end up being the next great QB under McVay and this regime. Snead might be more prepared to load a roster than people realize. And so on and so forth. So why don't you climb down off your high horse and root for them? Just a suggestion man, fwiw.

I'm not sure how anyone can evaluate a GM candidate. None of us have any idea the input Ballard or any other GM candidate (i.e., a deputy for another team) has on the direction of that team. None of us can evaluate that. It's not like evaluating a prospect. You can't find video of GM candidates scouting. :LOL:

You think ?? Why sign Tavon Austin instead of your franchise CB's. Someone said Austin is like the 2nd highest WR ?? That can't be Tru ??

They didn't sign Tavon instead of the CBs. They signed Tavon after Jenkins left and the deadline for re-signing Johnson had passed.

Also no, Austin isn't the second highest paid WR unless you're solely looking at cap hit in 2017, which misunderstands how NFL contracts work.(but Austin still is way overpaid relative to what he's produced)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not sure how anyone can evaluate a GM candidate. None of us have any idea the input Ballard or any other GM candidate (i.e., a deputy for another team) has on the direction of that team. None of us can evaluate that. It's not like evaluating a prospect. You can't find video of GM candidates scouting. :LOL:

They didn't sign Tavon instead of the CBs. They signed Tavon after Jenkins left and the deadline for re-signing Johnson had passed.

Also no, Austin isn't the second highest paid WR unless you're solely looking at cap hit in 2017, which misunderstands how NFL contracts work.(but Austin still is way overpaid relative to what he's produced)

Isn't the cap hit most important to keeping players together . That's all good though. I think Tavon has a lot of upside for sure. He gets a little high on himself , but WR's have to have a little Deva in them .
As far as in place of JJ ?? If they don't nickel & dime him & pay him shutdown CB $$$ money , then how much would have been there for Tavon ? That's all I'm saying if A happens then plan B might not. It is what it is at this point.

There is a rumor that Tru Johnson will get tagged. My feeling on Ram moves from outsider looking in is TJ Macdonald is going to be resigned.
In fact I also believe there is a better than 50/50 chance that Case Keenum gets resigned as well. Have not seen any postings thinking outside the box like that.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I can't see Keenum coming back unless they already have a deal in place to get some value for Mannion...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't the cap hit most important to keeping players together . That's all good though. I think Tavon has a lot of upside for sure. He gets a little high on himself , but WR's have to have a little Deva in them .

No. Cap hit from year to year varies based on the deal's structure. It isn't meant to tell you who the best players are. The players care the most about guaranteed money, total value, and average amount per year. Tavon's contract has a high cap hit in 2017 but drops significantly after that. Demoff structured the deal in a way to protect cap space beyond 2017 if they decide to keep Tavon.

As far as in place of JJ ?? If they don't nickel & dime him & pay him shutdown CB $$$ money , then how much would have been there for Tavon ? That's all I'm saying if A happens then plan B might not. It is what it is at this point.

They could have found a way to extend Tavon. But even if they didn't, Tavon had the fifth year option in 2017. We weren't in dire need to extend him. We could have re-signed JJ and extended Tavon. One didn't preclude the other. Even still, if one were to argue that we couldn't extend Tavon and re-sign Janoris, it still doesn't make sense to chalk up the loss of Janoris to re-signing Tavon. It would actually be the opposite. Losing Janoris lead us to use that money to re-sign Tavon.

I don't know why we didn't re-sign Janoris. It's possible that we thought he'd be more likely to re-sign if he hit the market than Trumaine, but when he hit the market, Janoris decided he didn't want to keep playing on a perennial loser.

There is a rumor that Tru Johnson will get tagged. My feeling on Ram moves from outsider looking in is TJ Macdonald is going to be resigned.
In fact I also believe there is a better than 50/50 chance that Case Keenum gets resigned as well. Have not seen any postings thinking outside the box like that.

I don't know why we'd re-sign T.J. when that money could go towards more important needs.

I also doubt we re-sign Keenum. He was Fisher's boy. We have a new HC. Plus, we already have Goff and Mannion. I don't see us spending precious cap room on retaining Keenum.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm sure he will be key in Phillips' defence - they wouldn't tag him if they didn't think he could be THE man

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm sure he will be key in Phillips' defence - they wouldn't tag him if they didn't think he could be THE man

I concur if Wade wants him I'm good with tagging him and working out a deal later that is advantageous to both parties.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let him walk IMO if somebody wants to sign him. Take the 2 1st round picks and use the money to sign 2 starter quality CB.
That's if they slap the unrestricted tag on him again. Which does allow Tru the opportunity to shop his wares. However if they put the restricted tag on him, it closes the door on outside influence and lets the two sides just focus on hammering out a deal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No. Cap hit from year to year varies based on the deal's structure. It isn't meant to tell you who the best players are. The players care the most about guaranteed money, total value, and average amount per year. Tavon's contract has a high cap hit in 2017 but drops significantly after that. Demoff structured the deal in a way to protect cap space beyond 2017 if they decide to keep Tavon.

They could have found a way to extend Tavon. But even if they didn't, Tavon had the fifth year option in 2017. We weren't in dire need to extend him. We could have re-signed JJ and extended Tavon. One didn't preclude the other. Even still, if one were to argue that we couldn't extend Tavon and re-sign Janoris, it still doesn't make sense to chalk up the loss of Janoris to re-signing Tavon. It would actually be the opposite. Losing Janoris lead us to use that money to re-sign Tavon.

I don't know why we didn't re-sign Janoris. It's possible that we thought he'd be more likely to re-sign if he hit the market than Trumaine, but when he hit the market, Janoris decided he didn't want to keep playing on a perennial loser.

I don't know why we'd re-sign T.J. when that money could go towards more important needs.

I also doubt we re-sign Keenum. He was Fisher's boy. We have a new HC. Plus, we already have Goff and Mannion. I don't see us spending precious cap room on retaining Keenum.

McVay will break down Case ?? Not sure
if his value .He is better than Mannion.
TJ brings a veteran bond to The Rams.

Tavon brings an ex- factor that can't be taught.He knows how to find the end zone. I guess that is priceless.

Could The Rams tag Tru like Washington did Carolina did Normon ? Release him after draft if they fill his spot ?? Just a thought.

I really don't think he is worth what he is asking , mainly because he seems to get injured a lot .
Same reason to cut Saffold , & bring in new leadership for the young O"Line .Here The Rams go again though. These young players seem to hit free agency fast:

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to work a trade for Trumaine. Tag him now, wait for the free agent market to dry up, and then find a team that's desperate for CB help. Maybe they only get a 3rd for him, but if they were going to let him walk anyways, it's better than nothing. They can always remove the tag if they don't get any offers.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

while I agree that a trade wont happen, I think its a bit much to assume he wont sign anything short of the 16.7m tag. sure thats way more than hed make in 1 year (bonus aside) with a long term deal, Im sure he'd still prefer a long term deal. Theres a reason players HATE getting tagged and I doubt that Tru is any different. 1 injury and that 50m+ contract with 25m+ guaranteed can be gone in a second.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
IMG_0317.JPG

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul

This has happened with other players in the past - Matt Cassel, Corey Williams, and Jared Allen. Players will take less than the Franchise Tag, if it means more guaranteed money long term. And teams will trade for those players if the price isn't too high.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, 24 hours until the deadline. You guys think they'll tag Tru?

If they don't things are gonna be scary at CB in the FA period and the draft. IMO they will tag him then get a deal done that lessens the cap hit.

Rams can't afford to chase Bouye in FA when they need to add key pieces to the line and wideout. They'll lock up Tru and have everything lined up to allow for chasing Zeitler and one of those wideouts IMO.