Adam Schefter Trumaine Johnson to be tagged again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
there's no motivation for tru to sign a long term deal. he will sign the tag and he will get $31m for his 2 years in LA. that's like getting a 2 year contract fully guaranteed for $31m. and he can hit the fa market next season.

hell, jenkins only received $29m guaranteed in his deal last season. and the giants have him for 5 years.

the rams have tru for 2 years, then he's gonna go for another money grab. they botched this up badly.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut prior to signing the tag if he refuses extensions instead. This could have been a way to just buy some time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
if the rams do sign tru long term and he plays well and helps the rams win nobody will care how much he's being paid.

And on the flip side, if he walks and plays well at his new destination, even if his is considered "overpaid", people will bash the Rams for not franchising him and working on a way to keep him.

It's easy from where we sit.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had assumed we let JJ walk because Tru would be easier to re-sign. If Tru doesn't get signed long term and we actually end up paying him nearly 17M this season, last offseason looks even worse.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had assumed we let JJ walk because Tru would be easier to re-sign. If Tru doesn't get signed long term and we actually end up paying him nearly 17M this season, last offseason looks even worse.
There are a lot of assumptions that he wasn't resigned because of failings on the Rams part. What if he wasn't signed to an extension because of his demands? If so he isn't likely to be signed to an extension this year.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are a lot of assumptions that he wasn't resigned because of failings on the Rams part. What if he wasn't signed to an extension because of his demands? If so he isn't likely to be signed to an extension this year.

Don't get me wrong. I think letting him walk at this point would be a huge mistake even at the tag price. I would just like to see some of our contributing players locked up, rather than developing them and seeing them go.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats just simply not true. Theres a reason 90% of players hate being tagged. 1 injury could ruin a chance at a long term deal after this season and then hes out millions instead of being up millions from surviving last years tag without injury. Sure, in a perfect world hed play this year out and make that 31m in 2 years and come back next year for a 5 year deal at 12m-14m a year. But thankfully for us its not a perfect world and theres still hope for a long term deal

Risk - reward.

We all thought Tru would sign long term last season for that very reason. Yet here we are, in a worse situation and Tru will get his $31m that he probably wanted last season in a long term deal. There's no downside anymore for him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I seem to remember people saying, both on this board and elsewhere, that Jenkins was overpaid when he signed his deal with the Giants last year.
I wasn't one of those people I always advocated for keeping Jenkins. I was one of the early ones that saw this play out from the beginning from Gaines not living up to his rookie status and for Johnson getting over paid cause we let Jenkins go. It's done now I hate to continue to harp on the past but it just goes to show that they didn't have a clue on what to do.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year is in the past, people got to get over it.
They will sign him to a long term deal
Until he signs for a long term deal we can only go off of what we know now. And that's 31 million in 2 yrs for Tru

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Risk - reward.

We all thought Tru would sign long term last season for that very reason. Yet here we are, in a worse situation and Tru will get his $31m that he probably wanted last season in a long term deal. There's no downside anymore for him.

Theres a reason Eric Berry said he'd sit out this year if tagged again. Now I'm not trying to argue that I know tru's thought process on all of this and what hes hoping to do, but you're delusional if you believe there is no downside to him playing out this season on the tag. If he feels like playing under the tag is well worth the risk, then ya he almost certainly wont sign a long term deal, but unless you know something the rest of us dont theres been no indication on his thoughts on the matter.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
#Rams 2017 salaries
CB Trumaine Johnson: $16.74m
WR Tavon Austin: $14.98m
S/LB Mark Barron: $11m
Combined: $42.72m,
25.6% of salary cap.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#Rams 2017 salaries
CB Trumaine Johnson: $16.74m
WR Tavon Austin: $14.98m
S/LB Mark Barron: $11m
Combined: $42.72m,
25.6% of salary cap.

after this season.

tavon will be paid $8m, $9.35m, $9.56m, $9.22m, with no dead cap at all.

barron will be paid $9m, $8m, $8m. btw, barron is getting paid $10m this year. the other $1m is the cap hit from his signing bonus.

tavon will be magnificent value if mcvay can get him going. if he can't it costs nothing to cut him or trade him.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
TJ was tendered at the Non Exclusive Rights level. Meaning he only counts something like $14.6 mil. Closer to what a yearly avg. of a new deal would. I like that

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
after this season.

tavon will be paid $8m, $9.35m, $9.56m, $9.22m, with no dead cap at all.

barron will be paid $9m, $8m, $8m. btw, barron is getting paid $10m this year. the other $1m is the cap hit from his signing bonus.

tavon will be magnificent value if mcvay can get him going. if he can't it costs nothing to cut him or trade him.

The topic is 2017.
Rams made a slightly above avg, CB the highest paid at his position.
14.85 m for a guy that was 99th in receiving yards in 16
And 11m for a guy now without a real position. Good luck to Barron holding his gap against a clean RT for 16 games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until he signs for a long term deal we can only go off of what we know now. And that's 31 million in 2 yrs for Tru
Last year has nothing to do with it. Nothing.
It's pointless to bring it up because it holds no value. He can be guaranteed 16.5 mill if he signs the tender. Until he signs it or signs a long term deal there are no present cap implications

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year has nothing to do with it. Nothing.
It's pointless to bring it up because it holds no value. He can be guaranteed 16.5 mill if he signs the tender. Until he signs it or signs a long term deal there are no present cap implications

lol it's pointless to bring up it holds no value, actually it does and here is why. Last year they let their number 1 corner go over money because 1 they thought they had good depth with Gaines 2. They were going to be able to get a long term deal from Johnson done. Fisher made the assumption that it was Snead and Demoff that didn't want to pay Jenkins. So now you franchise Tru last year at 13.5 million. Gaines plays terrible, Tru doesn't live up to billing and there is no depth at the corner spot so now you are in a position this year with Zero leverage. Last year you had leverage because you had Jenkins and tru was coming off back to back injury years. If they could have resign Jenkins they could have had a marker on Tru value in relation to the deal they gave Jenkins. But instead now we have to tag him again because we have no leverage he is going to walk about with about 15-16 million a year guaranteed because he knows he can sign this tender walk away with a little over 17 million guaranteed and sign a long term deal with another team next year. Last year mattered because that was the year every piece of negotiating tools were lost all of the leverage they had to get Johnson to sign for for relatively less is gone. He has no incentive to sign a long term deal if he don't like the numbers now..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The topic is 2017.
Rams made a slightly above avg, CB the highest paid at his position.
14.85 m for a guy that was 99th in receiving yards in 16
And 11m for a guy now without a real position. Good luck to Barron holding his gap against a clean RT for 16 games.

I like Barron and I think he is going to surprise a lot of people with his play. Barron plays a lot more physical then ogletree and the monsters we have on that d line is going to wreak havoc.. Brockers is going to have between 6-8 sacks this year and makes the pro bowl

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol it's pointless to bring up it holds no value, actually it does and here is why. Last year they let their number 1 corner go over money because 1 they thought they had good depth with Gaines 2. They were going to be able to get a long term deal from Johnson done. Fisher made the assumption that it was Snead and Demoff that didn't want to pay Jenkins. So now you franchise Tru last year at 13.5 million. Gaines plays terrible, Tru doesn't live up to billing and there is no depth at the corner spot so now you are in a position this year with Zero leverage. Last year you had leverage because you had Jenkins and tru was coming off back to back injury years. If they could have resign Jenkins they could have had a marker on Tru value in relation to the deal they gave Jenkins. But instead now we have to tag him again because we have no leverage he is going to walk about with about 15-16 million a year guaranteed because he knows he can sign this tender walk away with a little over 17 million guaranteed and sign a long term deal with another team next year. Last year mattered because that was the year every piece of negotiating tools were lost all of the leverage they had to get Johnson to sign for for relatively less is gone. He has no incentive to sign a long term deal if he don't like the numbers now..
Great, so keep complaining about last year and see how far that gets you...
What's done is done.
Currently, Tru salary is $0 but is under team control
If he signs the tender, that changes
If they sign him long term, that changes
If they rescind, he still costs $0

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great, so keep complaining about last year and see how far that gets you...
What's done is done.

Complaining im stating facts you can keep ignoring what happened last year but thats the main reason why he is getting 17 million this year because we tagged him LAST YEAR.. people like you make the same mistakes over and over again because they think the past is irrelevant its not it has direct consequences on the future and this scenario is a prime example of that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Complaining im stating facts you can keep ignoring what happened last year but thats the main reason why he is getting 17 million this year because we tagged him LAST YEAR.. people like you make the same mistakes over and over again because they think the past is irrelevant its not it has direct consequences on the future and this scenario is a prime example of that.
I am ignoring last year because it has nothing to do with right now. I don't know why Snead/Fisher didn't wrap him up but I am confident that the new regime of McVay/Phillips/Snead want Tru back and have a plan to make it work.
So live in the today which says