Aaron Donald's agent Todd France has history that could mean trouble for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I was listening to a program...and the new thing is like...Sammy B....and the QB's....they get 2 max deals...because they last so long in the league...while most other players only are able to get one before they are out of their primes...Hence 2 max deals. It's why I think his agent wants a max deal with an out around the time AD is 29-ish...he'll still be in prime shape and a decent age.

And yes, @Florida_Ram , $20 mill for 5, with an opt out in 2020 should do it....I'd guarantee about $45 or $50 million.

I agree and I think you nailed the dollars. The only smart business way to do this is to have a buy out in year 5 not 4. If you give him a buy out in year 4 when you already control his rights for 4 years (2 yrs on contract and 2 franchise tags). It's a negotiation and your leverage is current contract control.

There are 2 options IMO. Give a 6 year deal with less money yearly and less guaranteed and grant the 4th year opt out. Or give 6 year deal with more money yearly and more guaranteed with no opt out or at best a 5th year opt out because you buy a year out of FA.

Donald is my favorite player and want him locked up. But as a RAMS fan I don't want the Rams giving him 20M a year and then give him a opt out after year 4. That is bad business and horrible cap management.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I generally respect your opinion on ROD jrry..

I am curious though, if you think AD is worth 20 million per year? and I don't mean with incentives or hidden clauses. 20 million per year flat rate no strings attached ?

curious-minds-logo.png

Yes. I wouldn't guarantee the entire deal or anything. But he's worth $20 million per year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if the 3 yr out clause is true, I'd say they have no choice but to hold firm. This phuk-stick agent is steering AD down a bad path. I'd have to beieve AD is ready to sign and his agent is holding out for more.

Tell him no three year opt out clause. We can do a five or six year deal, or we can do a three year deal. It's AD's choice.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. I wouldn't guarantee the entire deal or anything. But he's worth $20 million per year.
I don't doubt it. Tell 'em to get his @ss with the team, and then PAY THE MAN.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The Rams cannot give in here, imagine the flood gates that would open by placating this ridiculous stance

Gotta say I'm totally against the mainstream "sports" media here

AD is sorta being a selfish prick thru my eyes (sorry but please spare me his extenuating reasons)

He coulda least waited till next season for this baloney sausage

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams cannot give in here, imagine the flood gates that would open by placating this ridiculous stance

Gotta say I'm totally against the mainstream "sports" media here

AD is sorta being a selfish prick thru my eyes (sorry but please spare me his extenuating reasons)

He coulda least waited till next season for this baloney sausage

What flood gates are going to open?

AD has earned himself an extension. The Rams could have avoided all of this by giving him an extension before the start of Training Camp. He doesn't owe this team waiting a year for the extension he deserves.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

AD has earned himself an extension. The Rams could have avoided all of this by giving him an extension before the start of Training Camp. He doesn't owe this team waiting a year for the extension he deserves.
Is a max deal with a three year opt out an extension?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

So in your world signed contracts mean nada, you should aspire to be an attorney...oh wait ( just kidding my friend)

Seriously, you don't see it? What happens if the Rams give in, you don't think that would trigger an avalanche of similar holdouts?

Don't you think it's a little early for AD to be pulling this shit? Hell, I haven't heard Odell whining yet, it could be debated he's every bit as deserving

I get the part that AD is clearly underpaid, he's just (imo) going about in the worst possible way

If it was up to me I'd hardball him for the next two years if his agent doesn't want to be reasonable

Personally, I'm ready to move on from him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So in your world signed contracts mean nada, you should aspire to be an attorney...oh wait ( just kidding my friend)

Correct. A signed contract guarantees nothing, as is true IRL. The consequences for what Donald is doing are laid out in the CBA and contract.

Seriously, you don't see it? What happens if the Rams give in, you don't think that would trigger an avalanche of similar holdouts?

No, I don't. Other players don't have Donald's leverage. They're not that good. We've seen holdouts happen for years. Paying the player never triggers an avalanche of similar holdouts.

Don't you think it's a little early for AD to be pulling this crap? Hell, I haven't heard Odell whining yet, it could be debated he's every bit as deserving

No, I don't. The CBA allows him to renegotiate his contract at this point. He has every right to try. OBJ has every right to do what he's doing. AD has every right to do what he's doing.

I get the part that AD is clearly underpaid, he's just (imo) going about in the worst possible way

If it was up to me I'd hardball him for the next two years if his agent doesn't want to be reasonable

You're letting emotions affect a business decision.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Of copurse the entire deal is not going to be guaranteed but you are essentially saying that if he signs a 6 year deal he is worth 120MIL. And that is kind of saying he should be guaranteed that as it is his worth.

Tell him no three year opt out clause. We can do a five or six year deal, or we can do a three year deal. It's AD's choice.

A three year deal is the same as a three year opt out though. If they are going to sign him and dole out big coin he needs to be on the roster for 5-6 years. Not 3.

I love to discuss with you jrry..........but you are dead wrong here. The Rams have offered him an extension according to reliable sources. And he doessn't owe the team anything outside of the contract he signed to play and practice etc. As far as waiting a year it's irrelevant because it won't change the money in the deal only when it's paid.

This is agent driven more than anything I'd bet.

I haven't heard Odell whining yet, it could be debated he's every bit as deserving

He's been saying he should be the highest paid WR in the league so yeah he's running his mouth..........he's just not holding out.

FRO

Legend

Don't you think it's a little early for AD to be pulling this crap? Hell, I haven't heard Odell whining yet, it could be debated he's every bit as deserving

Signed contracts mean nothing to teams as well. That's why they cut guys every year with time left on their contracts. NFL contracts don't mean much.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Correct. A signed contract guarantees nothing, as is true IRL. The consequences for what Donald is doing are laid out in the CBA and contract.

No, I don't. Other players don't have Donald's leverage. They're not that good. We've seen holdouts happen for years. Paying the player never triggers an avalanche of similar holdouts.

No, I don't. The CBA allows him to renegotiate his contract at this point. He has every right to try. OBJ has every right to do what he's doing. AD has every right to do what he's doing.

You're letting emotions affect a business decision.

My gawd I hate debating with you:ROFLMAO:

You make valid points as usual, and yes I'm frustrated that his agents focus is on his client (well dah, as it should be) I just don't like holding the team/fan base hostage while this drama plays out

Doing this off an iPhone so...

Cheers

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yes. But I'm not giving him the opt out. I give him the choice between a long-term deal or the three year deal.

I'm with you, pay him. I hate the idea of a 3 year deal though, unless he is taking less money. Say like 15m instead of 20. If the Rams give up control years, Donald has to take a little less money.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My gawd I hate debating with you:ROFLMAO:

You make valid points as usual, and yes I'm frustrated that his agents focus is on his client (well dah, as it should be) I just don't like holding the team/fan base hostage while this drama plays out

Doing this off an iPhone so...

Cheers

We're all frustrated. I want AD to get his ass into camp. I just think AD is getting unfair amount of the blame. Both the Rams and AD take blame in this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of copurse the entire deal is not going to be guaranteed but you are essentially saying that if he signs a 6 year deal he is worth 120MIL. And that is kind of saying he should be guaranteed that as it is his worth.

No, I'm saying that when you look at the contracts handed out recently, AD is worth a contract of approximately 6 years $120 million with $60 million million guaranteed.

A three year deal is the same as a three year opt out though. If they are going to sign him and dole out big coin he needs to be on the roster for 5-6 years. Not 3.

It's not the same, though. Giving him the opt out allows AD to stick with our deal if his play falls off and opt out if he can get paid more. It gives him long-term security without risking passing up the additional pay-day. I'd offer him one or the other.

I love to discuss with you jrry..........but you are dead wrong here. The Rams have offered him an extension according to reliable sources. And he doessn't owe the team anything outside of the contract he signed to play and practice etc. As far as waiting a year it's irrelevant because it won't change the money in the deal only when it's paid.

This is agent driven more than anything I'd bet.

Waiting a year does change things greatly. He risks a major injury.

I'm sure the Rams have offered him an extension, but none of us know what they offered. It obviously wasn't good enough to get AD into camp. The agent isn't going to cut off his nose to spite his face. If the Rams offer a satisfactory deal, the agent will take it (because he wants to get paid too).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you, pay him. I hate the idea of a 3 year deal though, unless he is taking less money. Say like 15m instead of 20. If the Rams give up control years, Donald has to take a little less money.

I don't disagree, but I don't see AD agreeing to that deal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No, I'm saying that when you look at the contracts handed out recently, AD is worth a contract of approximately 6 years $120 million with $60 million million guaranteed.

That's not "he's worth 20MIL a year".

That's the same type of contract his agent doesn't seem to want.

6 years @ 120MIL with 60MIL guaranteed is different than 20MIL a year.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Hmmmm.. I am not in agreement on this. He's on a HOF pace but he's a 285 DT pass rusher and I've seen his type wear down sooner than later when they get close to the 30 year age mark. See John Randall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Randle

I would rather trade him instead of giving him 20 mil per year.

The money used to resign a healthy Sammy Watkins in 2018 as well as plug some holes the Rams have in 2018 is the direction I would choose to go in.

I could be wrong and he's even better than Randle or Warren Sapp. I still stand firm in my beliefs of how I view the DT position.

I respect your opinion but I hope Snead and Demoff take my view on this.. Trade AD sooner than later before singing him to a flat rate of 20 million per year.

No DT will ever deserve the price of a starting QB if I owned an NFL team.

I don't care how many pressures the DT gets or how high PFF ranks him overall. A DT just doesn't deserve that kind of cap space imo. Donald has never taken over and won close games since he's been a Ram.

If you can assure me he's going to put the Rams on his back and win 2 or 3 more games because he's on the roster.. I will revisit my thoughts on this.

I just don't believe he's anything more special than Warren Sapp or John Randle were in their prime.

I might be reaching here but I believe Bill Belichick would also trade him if it was for a Kings Ransom.

Belichick is the only person I would cave in to on the "Donald" value.

a0802905267_7.jpg

I've been wrong before jrry so please don't take this post as being a know it all arm chair GM. You are one of the posters on ROD that truly respect (y)

Last edited: