Aaron Donald's agent Todd France has history that could mean trouble for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmmm.. I am not in agreement on this. He's on a HOF pace but he's a 285 DT pass rusher and I've seen his type wear down sooner than later when they get close to the 30 year age mark. See John Randall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Randle

I disagree with the John Randle example. He played until he was 36 years old and averaged 11 sacks per year from 30 years old to 34 years old.

I would rather trade him instead of giving him 20 mil per year.

The money used to resign a healthy Sammy Watkins in 2018 as well as plug some holes the Rams have in 2018 is the direction I would choose to go in.

I'd give Donald his extension, sign Watkins, and plug holes. We have the money to do all three. I'm sure as hell not letting a Hall of Fame talent walk.

I could be wrong and he's even better than Randle or Warren Sapp. I still stand firm in my beliefs of how I view the DT position.

Second most important position in football imo.

I respect your opinion but I hope Snead and Demoff take my view on this.. Trade AD sooner than later before singing him to a flat rate of 20 million per year.

No DT will ever deserve the price of a starting QB if I owned an NFL team.

Derek Carr just set the QB market at $25 million per year. $20 million per year is what you're going to pay for an average starting QB.(Hell, Brock Osweiler got $18 million per year) Donald is worse the price of an average starting QB.

I don't care how many pressures the DT gets or how high PFF ranks him overall. A DT just doesn't deserve that kind of cap space imo. Donald has never taken over and won close games since he's been a Ram.

How many close games have we won on the backs of our defense over the past three years? I'm not sure how you could conclude Donald isn't what put us over the edge. He's not a QB, HB, or WR. He's not going to score the game-winning TD. But when we win a 9-3 game, I cannot disagree more with you when you think the best defensive player in the NFL isn't what put us over the top on that day.

If you can assure me he's going to put the Rams on his back and win 2 or 3 more games because he's on the roster.. I will revisit my thoughts on this.

I just don't believe he's anything more special than Warren Sapp or John Randle were in their prime.

I can assure you that Donald is worth at least 2 wins over an average DT on this team if we have a functional offense.

As for Sapp and Randle, they're both all time great DTs and HOFers. Even if Donald is just that special, that's more than special enough for me to back up the Brinks truck.

I've been wrong before jrry so please don't take this post as being a know it all arm chair GM. You are one of the posters on ROD that truly respect (y)

I respect you a lot as well. It's just two guys talking Rams football. We're definitely in the agree to disagree camp here, but that's no big deal. (y)

That's not "he's worth 20MIL a year".

That's the same type of contract his agent doesn't seem to want.

6 years @ 120MIL with 60MIL guaranteed is different than 20MIL a year.

That's $20 million per year in the NFL, though.

And we don't know if that's the contract his agent wants or not. We're not privy to the negotiations.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd give Donald his extension, sign Watkins, and plug holes. We have the money to do all three. I'm sure as hell not letting a Hall of Fame talent walk.

What if that HOF talent WANTS to "walk", what if no matter what you do that guy wants to hit the FA market?

If you discover that during contract negotiations what do you do?

And what if Watkins doesn't want to play for the Rams after this year?

It's not a matter of "sign this guy and that guy".

It takes both sides.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if that HOF talent WANTS to "walk", what if no matter what you do that guy wants to hit the FA market?

If you discover that during contract negotiations what do you do?

And what if Watkins doesn't want to play for the Rams after this year?

It's not a matter of "sign this guy and that guy".

It takes both sides.

That's not really an issue right now. We can tag Watkins this year. We can also tag Donald in the future. Donald doesn't have the option to walk for another two years. And we can tag him for at least two years after that.

I also would be surprised if Watkins doesn't want to be here. But if that's true, we figure it out. Maybe we tag him. Maybe we let him walk if we believe in Josh Reynolds.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I disagree with the John Randle example. He played until he was 36 years old and averaged 11 sacks per year from 30 years old to 34 years old.

Okay you can have the Randle win... I was merely comparing him to Randle and Sapp because he reminds me of both of them for different reasons.

I still don't think Donald is worth the cap hit over the next 3 to 5 years at 20 million per..

• Don't get me wrong, I want him as a Ram but he's never taken over games late in the 4th quarter since he's been drafted.
  • Maybe you can refresh my memory and point me to 1 or 2 wins late in the 4th qtr when Donald sealed the deal.
If he signs before the regular season I will be elated, but I'm on record for excepting a trade...

if its for a ............

kingsransom.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay you can have the Randle win... I was merely comparing him to Randle and Sapp because he reminds me of both of them for different reasons.

I still don't think Donald is worth the cap hit over the next 3 to 5 years at 20 million per..

• Don't get me wrong, I want him as a Ram but he's never taken over games late in the 4th quarter since he's been drafted.
  • Maybe you can refresh my memory and point me to 1 or 2 wins late in the 4th qtr when Donald sealed the deal.
If he signs before the regular season I will be elated, but I'm on record for excepting a trade...

if its for a ............

kingsransom.jpg

Here are Donald and Brockers stuffing Lynch on 4th and 1 to beat Seattle in overtime in 2015:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000529256/Rams-stop-Seahawks-on-4th-down-to-win-in-OT

Here are Donald and Sims sacking Palmer in the 4th quarter which forced the Cardinals to put Stanton in who threw 2 picks on their final 2 drives to guarantee the Rams a 17-13 win:
View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/All-22-Donald-and-Sims-Sack-Palmer/e61ba744-a4de-4536-8f50-f41c03e1ff1f

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Aaron Donald's agent Todd France has history that could mean trouble for the Rams

227364_7cfb0818bbf84b8ca37016a8c1e4acd0~mv2.webp

Remember last year when the Los Angeles Rams took Jared Goff number one overall, Carson Wentz went number two to the Philadelphia Eagles and then the Los Angeles Chargers (San Diego at the time) took Joey Bosa? Well, unlike the first two selections, Bosa gave his team a little bit of a rough time during the training camp/preseason period.

Joey Bosa was represented by none other than Todd France, a super agent with CAA Sports agency. France made negotiations of Bosa's rookie deal extremely hard to come by for the Chargers. Both sides went back and forth, bear in mind this was only over the language in the rookie contract. Bosa ended up holding out until August 29th, 2016. Bosa stayed patient, while I'm sure as well as the next one he wanted to be out there participating and playing in games. It's pretty obvious he just decided to listen to France and holdout to avoid injury and ultimately fix the offset language in the impending contract.

Now, Bosa has proven his worth after a dominant rookie year, but who is France in protection of now? Aaron Donald. That's right, the Rams prized possession and face of the defensive side of the ball. Donald has been terrorizing offensive lines, running backs and quarterbacks since he entered the league via the 2014 NFL Draft. Donald has watched as the Rams not only struggled on the field, but even off it failing to re-sign defensive backs Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald. Donald has also watched and has seen teammates Mark Barron, William Hayes, Tavon Austin and Michael Brockers receive extensions. Now, with the Rams planning to re-up Alec Ogletree and LaMarcus Joyner, it appears that Donald is tired of waiting his turn for a pay raise.

France has influenced Donald to go after that big time pay day and even result to holding out like his client Joey Bosa did last season. France is known for getting the most for his clients. Just look at a few of his clients and what deals he got them.

WR Demaryius Thomas - 5 years/$70,000,000
WR Emmanuel Sanders - 3 years/$33,000,000
DT Marcell Dareus - 6 years/ $96,574,118
DT Fletcher Cox - 6 years/$102,600,000
CB Aqib Talib - 6 years/57,000,000

Why is this trouble for the Rams? Again, Bosa was just holding out based on language in his contract that needed to be changed. Aaron Donald? This is a new unprecedented thing in itself. France is responsible for contracts of two of the top five highest paid defensive tackles in the league. Donald happens to be a lot better than every single one of them in the top five. He also happens to be only 26 years old and likely the youngest of the bunch. France could be looking at having Donald holdout well into the season for a contract. If Bosa held out until late August, expect Donald to seriously holdout into the regular season. The earlier reports from Adam Schefter may seem crazy that Donald would do that, but with France's track record, he would.

France has proven time and time again he is going to bat and he is going to be extremely aggressive for his clients. Donald is likely his top client now as he is arguably a top three player in all of football. So, the rules may bend a little and that is why we may have heard of a potential opt-out clause getting in the way. The bottom line is, France's job is to get his client (Aaron Donald) the most guaranteed money and the Rams job is to re-sign their star player for a good enough value so that they don't set themselves back years. The Rams are going to need money left over to sign the likes of first overall pick QB Jared Goff, tenth overall pick RB Todd Gurley and even newly-acquired former fourth overall pick WR Sammy Watkins.

With Donald having a world-class agent, the Rams are going to be backed into a tough corner and might not see Donald until during the regular season or even after. If that indeed comes to fruition the Rams may only have one choice and that may involve a trade. Keep in mind, the Chargers may have signed Bosa to his rookie deal, but there is no reason to think France is done tormenting the Chargers over contracts. What you saw with Bosa in his holdout you are seeing with Donald. What you are seeing with Donald about his extension in year three, you will likely see with Bosa. The Rams, their fans, and teammates can only hope this gets resolved soon, because that no.99 is a game-breaking type player that a young team with a completely new system and coaching staff in place will need to succeed in 2017.

Did you hear Demoff on the broadcast tonight? He talked about negotiations a little bit.

Todd France has a good relationship with Demoff. They talk a lot more than you suggest. Alex Ogletree is also represented by France, so if things got ugly it wouldn't be a good thing.
The Rams have to find out what direction they are going with there roster
, before they can get his deal done.