A word about Sammy Watkins...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
To be fair, Chris Carter and the other casual observers aren't even in the same universe as Cosell when it comes to studying players on film. I've never heard Cosell call anyone a bust either. All he does is point out strengths and weaknesses at the time of his evals, and never says something isn't correctable. I really don't think there's a more widely respected 'analyst' out there right now.
Hey, ain’t nobody askin’ for an edumancated voice of reason :ROFLMAO:

:mrburns:

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The re-circulation of nonsense makes me laugh. Wentz in philly wasn’t going thru his progressions last year at all. He’d force his first read, check down or run. Anyone who watches tape will see that plain as day.
Now this year, his 2nd year in the same system, he is more confident and is is better at progressions. It’s him following an nfl learning curve.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just listened to Greg Cossell, of ESPN Matchup Show, on Sirius NFL Radio. And based upon his film study he confirms what most already know in that Watkins is getting open, but just isn't getting the ball.

Basically he said the offense has a lot of 3 by 1 WR sets and that the single side WR (Watkins) is often the 3rd or 4th read and Goff hasn't developed enough yet to always get there like Cousins did in Washington. Adam Caplan chimed in that when he talks to teams that have played the Rams they think they are managing him to where it's one read, two read, and then balls out and that he's not processing info quickly enough to get to the 4th and 5th reads like Wentz does yet. Both agreed it's not a knock against Goff, but that Wentz was more developed in a pro style offense coming out of college.

There's an element of truth to what Cosell said. Caplan, however, is full of dog crap.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Ram65

Legend
I’m sorry Memphis, perhaps when people use other people’s opinions to make points I get a little defensive

However,

All the ass hat talking heads (hello Cris Carter & Co) just last year had Goff written off as a colossal bust...

Quoting other talking heads who really aren’t dedicated to watching the Rams to validate an opinion to me is weak.

At least LAChamp, tho I pretty much disagree with his every take on our QB, speaks his words and doesn’t parrot talking heads whom more often than not would seem to have bad takes

You clearly have more football knowledge than many, I value your opinions more than any talking head who more than likely watches less than 30 minutes a week on any given team

If I came of as a dick (lol, and maybe I did) my apologies

Did you listen to Cosell? X gives a good review of Cosell. He works at NFL Films in New Jersey. I'll give my opinion after next quote.

To be fair, Chris Carter and the other casual observers aren't even in the same universe as Cosell when it comes to studying players on film. I've never heard Cosell call anyone a bust either. All he does is point out strengths and weaknesses at the time of his evals, and never says something isn't correctable. I really don't think there's a more widely respected 'analyst' out there right now.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/2017-Week-12-Matchup-Podcast

Sounds like Cossell said the same things on a podcast earlier this week.

Rams vs. Saints starts at 43 minute mark.

The podcast was great. I get Cosell on the radio here in Phila. He is not very dynamic and does not try to be or have to be. He just tells what he sees. The segment before the Rams is a good example as is the Rams segment of straight forward evaluation of Trubisky and mention of Mariota

This is the first expert evaluation of Watkins. Casell states that he is open all the time and runs by people a lot. I'll take it without the video. Cassel explains it's not a negative on Goff. It is the way the offense formation is with Wood/Kupp/TE on one side and Watkins on the other side. The 3 side receivers are the first reads. It is hard for a young QB to get through those fast enough and move to the other side where Watkins is for a vertical dig (example). It all makes sense. I wish McVay could have gotten Watkins a few quicker looks.

Edit; Host John Hansen gives Goff good shout out on Viking performance at 6:30 mark.

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Did you listen to Cosell? X gives a good review of Cosell. He works at NFL Films in New Jersey. I'll give my opinion after next quote.

The podcast was great. I get Cosell on the radio here in Phila. He is not very dynamic and does not try to be or have to be. He just tells what he sees. The segment before the Rams is a good example as is the Rams segment of straight forward evaluation of Trubisky and mention of Mariota

This is the first expert evaluation of Watkins that says he is open all the time and runs by people a lot. I'll take it without the video. Cassel explains it's not a negative on Goff. It is the way the offense formation is with Wood/Kupp/TE on one side and Watkins on the other side. The 3 side receivers are the first reads. It is hard for a young QB to get through those fast enough and move to the other side where Watkins is for a vertical dig (example). It all makes sense. I wish McVay could have gotten Watkins a few quicker looks.

My primary point in that post was many Rams fans follow this team 24/7 tend to have a better feel for their team than well respected talking heads who cover 32 teams

I like GC, he does good work and he seeems to have congruent observations to mine on that small clip

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
funny that Woods gets hurt and I totally forgot we had Watkins :ROFLMAO:

but thinking about it.. it's really not that funny... time to show up Sammy!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Greg Cosell is respected by most....He watches a bunch of film...Primarily that All-22 which gives that overview and behind the play perspective that many fans never see....it's better than being AT the game in some/many ways...You can look at a play over and over....and get a feel of what players should/or are trying to do...from line play to receivers...

Anybody using his examples should be given their respect as well....they aint bullshitting. It's what they see.....

Some of you guys are hilarious....

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Y'know all is well when we're complaining about how players are not meeting skyrocketed expectations but know damn well it's night and day from last year offensively. Not saying we shouldn't complain, gotta continue to keep expectations high but looking at our situation in retrospect from Fisher's squad got me like

VillainousWeightyHectorsdolphin-small.gif

Scirca

Rookie
Is this the same Greg Cosell who said Goff was a bust last year. I don't recall him saying anything about Goff's situation. A first year qb coach, Chris Weinke. Rob Boras (who lived in a fairy tale of running routes short of the 3rd marker).. the offensive coordinator. And the cherry on top, Jeff Fisher.. words cannot express how bad this man was as a coach. For someone to watch as much film as the great Greg Cosell, surely he would mention how shit everything was around Goff. But he didn't, he took the easy route and called Goff a bust. His opinion means horseshit to me.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Is this the same Greg Cosell who said Goff was a bust last year. I don't recall him saying anything about Goff's situation. A first year qb coach, Chris Weinke. Rob Boras (who lived in a fairy tale of running routes short of the 3rd marker).. the offensive coordinator. And the cherry on top, Jeff Fisher.. words cannot express how bad this man was as a coach. For someone to watch as much film as the great Greg Cosell, surely he would mention how crap everything was around Goff. But he didn't. His opinion means horseshit to me.

When did Greg Cosell ever call Goff a bust? And he's commented on Goff's 1st year situation in the past many times. It just that here, that wasn't the topic of conversation. Good grief.

Scirca

Rookie
When did Greg Cosell ever call Goff a bust? And he's commented on Goff's 1st year situation in the past many times. It just that here, that wasn't the topic of conversation. Good grief.

Jared Goff has a lot of concerns as we sort of go forward and it will be interesting to see what Sean McVay can do. I mean he has a number of issues that jumped out which I imagine were true on second and third down as well. He had footwork and balance issues in the pocket. He was very slow to see things and isolate where to go with the ball within the structure and timing of the route concepts. It was evident he just couldn’t see things real clearly. I think there are some questions when you watch the tape about his toughness in the pocket and his willingness to stand and deliver.

-Greg Cosell on Goff 2016 tape.

No mention of Goff's situation. Fucking lizard. My favorite part is the part that I made bold... This is someone who is full of shit.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jared Goff has a lot of concerns as we sort of go forward and it will be interesting to see what Sean McVay can do. I mean he has a number of issues that jumped out which I imagine were true on second and third down as well. He had footwork and balance issues in the pocket. He was very slow to see things and isolate where to go with the ball within the structure and timing of the route concepts. It was evident he just couldn’t see things real clearly. I think there are some questions when you watch the tape about his toughness in the pocket and his willingness to stand and deliver.

-Greg Cosell on Goff 2016 tape.

No mention of Goff's situation. freaking lizard.

Comments taken from this podcast I believe:
https://www.podcastone.com/episode/RTFP-675:-Greg-Cosell

Right about the 7:12 mark is where all he was discussing is what he saw on tape the prior season.

And where did he call him a bust? He didn't. Notice at about the 8:10 mark he plainly states that he's not one of those people that believes he's a bust based upon his rookie season and that he just mentioned what the tape showed. That's it.

But, apparently everyone must mention Goff's first year coaching situation every single time Goff is discussed or they are discredited nowadays? C'mon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't Caplain just relaying what he's been told?
Or do you think he's just making that up.

Let's just say that I don't think Caplan has been told that because the tape says differently.