A word about Sammy Watkins...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
And about Watkins...
Why was he the 3rd or 4th read? Did they attribute that to his late arrival? Meaning he's behind the curve? Because talent-wise, he should be the 1st or 2nd read.
I agree with this. I hope they are just timing the whole Sammy Explosion for a playoff run, because, as great as this offense has been, it has been a head scratcher Watkins doesn’t get more targets.

His “breakout” game was against SF. He’s already had that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just listened to Greg Cossell, of ESPN Matchup Show, on Sirius NFL Radio. And based upon his film study he confirms what most already know in that Watkins is getting open, but just isn't getting the ball.

Basically he said the offense has a lot of 3 by 1 WR sets and that the single side WR (Watkins) is often the 3rd or 4th read and Goff hasn't developed enough yet to always get there like Cousins did in Washington. Adam Caplan chimed in that when he talks to teams that have played the Rams they think they are managing him to where it's one read, two read, and then balls out and that he's not processing info quickly enough to get to the 4th and 5th reads like Wentz does yet. Both agreed it's not a knock against Goff, but that Wentz was more developed in a pro style offense coming out of college.

IMO Caplan is not watching enough. Look at Goff's head, you can see him looking all over the field on most pass plays not at one target then another then throwing.

He still has room to grow, and should be looking for Watson deep ore often, but Caplan is wrong here.

Also Watkins is opening up the short and mid range space for other WR's because he's taking a safety with him down the field almost every time. So Goff is watching that happen and taking advantage.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think if plays happen on time, Goff is only getting to his second read. But as LesBaker stated, when the plays got beyond (the purposed outcome...), you can clearly see Goff going further into his progressions. Now, I think it's McVay's use of combo patterns that leaves Watkins out of the mix. Woods and Kupp have thrived out of these sets. While Sammy gets isolated much more. I would like to see him (Watkins) operating out of a stack more down the road.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Due to the horrible but temporary Robert Woods injury, Sammy Watkins will either step up and make himself more than worthy of a contract extension from Snead & company after the season ends, or he will be pretty much more of the same as we have watched since the season started.

I understand like many of you that Watkins production is in many ways predicated on McVay's game plan & Goff's vision etc..

Even with the things that have held him back this year, if Sammy is truly an elite WR and belongs in the Rams long term plans, he needs to hit a different gear these last six games of the season.

No more simply blaming McVay or Goff for his touches in the final stretch of the season. Elite players force themselves to be involved and require more targets in the game plan.

I was elated when Snead traded for him and I'm still very happy he's wearing the horns.

For what ever the excuses are about his overall production and fit in McVay's offensive scheme, Watkins needs to force the issue in these last 6 games and make the head coach and quarterback believe he's every bit as good as advertised since he was drafted by the Bills in 2014 as the #4 overall pick in the first round.

The Ball is in your court now Sammy

eyesshut.0.gif

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Just listened to Greg Cossell, of ESPN Matchup Show, on Sirius NFL Radio. And based upon his film study he confirms what most already know in that Watkins is getting open, but just isn't getting the ball.

Basically he said the offense has a lot of 3 by 1 WR sets and that the single side WR (Watkins) is often the 3rd or 4th read and Goff hasn't developed enough yet to always get there like Cousins did in Washington. Adam Caplan chimed in that when he talks to teams that have played the Rams they think they are managing him to where it's one read, two read, and then balls out and that he's not processing info quickly enough to get to the 4th and 5th reads like Wentz does yet. Both agreed it's not a knock against Goff, but that Wentz was more developed in a pro style offense coming out of college.

Lot of information to take in.

Greg Cosell studies a lot of video at NFL films in New Jersey so he should know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gre...ll&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Greg Cosell is an NFL analyst and a senior producer at NFL Films. He is the nephew of iconic broadcaster Howard Cosell. Cosell is widely regarded by NFL insiders as one of the most knowledgeable and trusted football analysts. Wikipedia

Why make Watkins the 3rd or 4th read? McVay could have designed plays where is the 2nd or 3rd read. If they move Watkins over to Woods spot at least some of the time everyone should get a good idea of how he runs the routes, gets open and gets YAC.

Let's try to count the reads this week for Goff. I imagine he is doing the 1-2 reads most of the time. That's the WCO. We have seen him make 3-4 reads sometimes. They all need to step it up this week.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And about Watkins...
Why was he the 3rd or 4th read? Did they attribute that to his late arrival? Meaning he's behind the curve? Because talent-wise, he should be the 1st or 2nd read.

Cossell stated that's they way thing are set up in the offense and it was the same in Washington. The first reads are typically on the side with the most WRs and Watkins is usually singled up on the other side. He also said it makes things easier for the QB.

nighttrain

Legend
And about Watkins...
This^, he did come in late, but in practice this week Watkins should definitely have been Goff's main focus, just to prepare for the weeks game against the Saints
train

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel that letting it rip to Sammy, could be catastrophic, with his pension to get lost, and quitting on plays.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The fact that Sammy is a 3rd or 4th read in this offense is pretty absurd. Not sure I believe it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Not that it really matters, but once I’ve ascertained a poster was/is a rah-rah Wentz guy, their opinions to me (on Goff) mean absolutely zero, it gets old, Bradford vs Sub part II

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO Caplan is not watching enough. Look at Goff's head, you can see him looking all over the field on most pass plays not at one target then another then throwing.

He still has room to grow, and should be looking for Watson deep ore often, but Caplan is wrong here.

Also Watkins is opening up the short and mid range space for other WR's because he's taking a safety with him down the field almost every time. So Goff is watching that happen and taking advantage.

Actually, it was Greg Cossell who watches the film.

Caplan just mentioned what opponents told him after playing the Rams.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Actually, it was Greg Cossell who watches the film.

Caplan just mentioned what opponents told him after playing the Rams.
Well there you go, what possibly could us Rams fans who follow this team and religiously watch and rewatch every single game have on the Great Greg Cossell?

Must really suck to need talking heads form your evaluations, I think I’ll just pass and rely on my 35 years adult life of watching my favorite sport.

Goff is most certainly not a 2 read ( only) QB at this particular stage of his development, tho I’d agree more often than not the ball comes out before the potential 3rd read

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well there you go, what possibly could us Rams fans who follow this team and religiously watch and rewatch every single game have on the Great Greg Cossell?

Must really suck to need talking heads form your evaluations, I think I’ll just pass and rely on my 35 years of adult life of watching my favorite sport.

Goff is most certainly not a 2 read ( only) QB at this particular stage of his development, tho I’d agree more often than not the ball comes out before the potential 3rd read

What in the world............?!?

I simply shared something I heard on the radio and I get this crap???

BTW, Cosell studies and watches actual game film on all of the NFL teams. Hence the Rams vs. Redskins offensive comparison. But, screw him and anyone else who doesn't agree with your take, I guess.

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
What in the world............?!?

I simply shared something I heard on the radio and I get this crap???
I’m sorry Memphis, perhaps when people use other people’s opinions to make points I get a little defensive

However,

All the ass hat talking heads (hello Cris Carter & Co) just last year had Goff written off as a colossal bust...

Quoting other talking heads who really aren’t dedicated to watching the Rams to validate an opinion to me is weak.

At least LAChamp, tho I pretty much disagree with his every take on our QB, speaks his words and doesn’t parrot talking heads whom more often than not would seem to have bad takes

You clearly have more football knowledge than many, I value your opinions more than any talking head who more than likely watches less than 30 minutes a week on any given team

If I came of as a dick (lol, and maybe I did) my apologies

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All the ass hat talking heads (hello Cris Carter & Co) just last year had Goff written off as a colossal bust...

Quoting other talking heads who really aren’t dedicated to watching the Rams to validate an opinion to me is weak.
To be fair, Chris Carter and the other casual observers aren't even in the same universe as Cosell when it comes to studying players on film. I've never heard Cosell call anyone a bust either. All he does is point out strengths and weaknesses at the time of his evals, and never says something isn't correctable. I really don't think there's a more widely respected 'analyst' out there right now.