A word about Sammy Watkins...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why not let it rip with this guy?

Seriously. Might be our best bet to outscore and even beat the Saints.

Let’s find out if he’s all that, or not. We might just have that beast on our team that we THOUGHT we got with the trade.

Then we will have a more diverse and powerful O and can feel confident in extending him.

And if he disappoints, well, that would be good to know, too. We can focus elsewhere for a top WR. Maybe another inexpensive Robert Woods type out there?

Either way, we will have removed most of the doubt about Watkins that currently exists.

So, let’s really feed Watkins. Make him the first look, at least. Great players make great plays. Is Watkins a great player? Let’s find out.

Make it so, Coach! Lol.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm pretty sure that is the plan once they feel like he has mastered the offense.
McVay is not stupid.
He traded for Watkins for a reason.
Up until now he's been using him as more of a decoy to draw two defenders away from Kupp or Woods.

We almost have to see more plays that are designed with Watkins as the primary.

It's pretty much been set up for that as of now because the other teams have not seen Watkins as the primary.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I'm pretty sure McVay and Goff aren't trying to do whatever they can to win games.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I'm pretty sure McVay and Goff aren't trying to do whatever they can to win games.

I love how we need to remind them to try to win, oh, and make sure that we get to evaluate players for them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Might as well...I don't think we re-sign the guy next year unless he shows the NFL that he is the beast that we all believed him to be in the NFL draft. Let this be his and Goff's statement game in beating Drew Brees straight up in every category...including the WIN.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he wasn't ready before now due to scheme, chemistry with Goff...why would he take snaps from the reliable Robert Woods? Make him prove he is really great by stepping up in Woods absence..

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Let’s find out if he’s all that, or not. We might just have that beast on our team that we THOUGHT we got with the trade.

Then we will have a more diverse and powerful O and can feel confident in extending him.

And if he disappoints, well, that would be good to know, too. We can focus elsewhere for a top WR. Maybe another inexpensive Robert Woods type out there?

Either way, we will have removed most of the doubt about Watkins that currently exists.

So, let’s really feed Watkins. Make him the first look, at least. Great players make great plays. Is Watkins a great player? Let’s find out.

Make it so, Coach! Lol.

Watkins has been one of those guys that has super high upside that doesn't deliver what you think he will. Even when healthy he really isn't really a high producer. He's really good, but not a top flight WR. I'm not saying he sucks so everyone relax LOL.........but he was considered a star in the making coming out of college.

Woods is the "Watkins" IMO. He's out so the rest of the guys have to pick up the slack. Including McVay!!!

I think in order to get the passing game going this week they will have to immediately establish the run against a poor run defense THEN take their big shots.

McVay is not stupid.
He traded for Watkins for a reason.

McVay doesn't have personnel say so. He can ask for a specific player, but Snead does the deals. If Snead didn't want Watkins here he probably wouldn't be here.

Though Snead may be the type of GM that takes requests and suggestions about getting players more than the norm. I suspect he is since the two have such a great relationship. Or so it seems from the outside looking in.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Ummm... and vice versa.
If McVay didn't want to player he wouldn't be here.
McVay tells Snead what he needs and Snead tries to make it happen.

I can almost guarantee you that there are both a hundred percent interested in getting Watkins in here.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he wasn't ready before now due to scheme, chemistry with Goff...why would he take snaps from the reliable Robert Woods? Make him prove he is really great by stepping up in Woods absence..
You'd have to ask McVay, I'm one of the few around here who doesn't question why he does what he does every week :)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd have to ask McVay, I'm one of the few around here who doesn't question why he does what he does every week :)
I'm not questioning, because if Watkins hasn't been ready and Woods is playing so well, why mess up a good thing?
No Woods? Let's see what you got, Sammy!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Why the sarcasm, OldSchool?

I’m just posting a thought about possibly altering the role of Watkins. Maybe stimulate some thought or discussion.

Doesn’t mean that I’m not still a huge McVay fan. But even McVay said that he could have done a much better job of playcalling last Sunday.

Does that deserve the blue font treatment? On Thanksgiving, for cryin’ out loud?

Geez...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay has mentioned more than once that he's not going to have Goff force the ball to anyone. That Goff's job is to execute the scheme, and direct the ball where the coverage dictates. Jared's been very careful not to turn the ball over, and part of that is him making good reads and avoiding throws into congested areas of the field. So the key for McVay is to anticipate what the defense will do and adjust his read priorities to try to get his QB looking at Watkins a little bit more.

But also you gotta remember we have a young QB. That means he's going to miss some open receivers and opportunities. He's going to misread certain situations at times. Basically as he gets better a guy like Watkins should become more important. That's about as far as I can go in agreement with the recurring sentiment of getting Sammy more involved.

Lastly, Sammy needs to do his part too. I'm tired of seeing those examples of the ball coming his way and he's not ready for it, or he's doggin his route, etc. Dude needs to accept he's in an offense that spreads it around, and be ready when his number is up. I do think he's reaching that point, where he knows the offense well enough now too, so maybe Jared growing a little more will be what needs to happen to get some magic happening.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why the sarcasm, OldSchool?

I’m just posting a thought about possibly altering the role of Watkins. Maybe stimulate some thought or discussion.

Doesn’t mean that I’m not still a huge McVay fan. But even McVay said that he could have done a much better job of playcalling last Sunday.

Does that deserve the blue font treatment? On Thanksgiving, for cryin’ out loud?

Geez...
Have a great Thanksgiving my brother.

I just was laughing and had a sarcastic reaction because we have one of these threads about Sammy or Everett or Tavon or Gurley every week win lose or draw. Yes I understand we're on a forum and want to discuss things. Sorry if I find it funny that every week the same threads are retread, and often multiple of them every week by multiple people. And we act as if McVay doesn't know what he's or that Goff doesn't. You say it's just to spark discussion. Well I contributed with my own laughing sorry if that's not wanted in your threads (turn about is fair play isn't it?). But in all honesty go back each week throughout this season and tally up how many "get player X more involved threads" or how many each week are started telling Wade the same thing that he needs to change his defense.

Again sorry I just laugh because through 11 weeks we have probably 75 threads started about player X is the key to the offense if we'd only change everything and just use him more.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has mentioned more than once that he's not going to have Goff force the ball to anyone. That Goff's job is to execute the scheme, and direct the ball where the coverage dictates. Jared's been very careful not to turn the ball over, and part of that is him making good reads and avoiding throws into congested areas of the field. So the key for McVay is to anticipate what the defense will do and adjust his read priorities to try to get his QB looking at Watkins a little bit more.

But also you gotta remember we have a young QB. That means he's going to miss some open receivers and opportunities. He's going to misread certain situations at times. Basically as he gets better a guy like Watkins should become more important. That's about as far as I can go in agreement with the recurring sentiment of getting Sammy more involved.

Lastly, Sammy needs to do his part too. I'm tired of seeing those examples of the ball coming his way and he's not ready for it, or he's doggin his route, etc. Dude needs to accept he's in an offense that spreads it around, and be ready when his number is up. I do think he's reaching that point, where he knows the offense well enough now too, so maybe Jared growing a little more will be what needs to happen to get some magic happening.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain (McVay).

Sorry couldn't help one last blue font in the thread :D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last I will say is that if all Sammy Watkins is to the Rams is a decoy and a 3-5 catch guy a game, he's gone next year (and should be).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have a great Thanksgiving my brother.

I just was laughing and had a sarcastic reaction because we have one of these threads about Sammy or Everett or Tavon or Gurley every week win lose or draw. Yes I understand we're on a forum and want to discuss things. Sorry if I find it funny that every week the same threads are retread, and often multiple of them every week by multiple people. And we act as if McVay doesn't know what he's or that Goff doesn't. You say it's just to spark discussion. Well I contributed with my own laughing sorry if that's not wanted in your threads (turn about is fair play isn't it?). But in all honesty go back each week throughout this season and tally up how many "get player X more involved threads" or how many each week are started telling Wade the same thing that he needs to change his defense.

Again sorry I just laugh because through 11 weeks we have probably 75 threads started about player X is the key to the offense if we'd only change everything and just use him more.

No worries, OldSchool.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

TexasRam

Legend
I like Sammy as a person.

But as an NFL WR, not so much. He lacks route running, instincts, and competitive fire to win contested balls.

He does have good hands and explosion.

I think they have targeted him over and over and he just is not reliable, so they have to target other guys to move the ball.

Kupp and Woods are way ahead of Watkins.

Having Woods down is a great time to find that third receiver between Cooper Thomas and Reynolds, one of which will replace Sammy in the offseason unless he completely turns it around.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I'm thinking that Everett, if healthy, will see some targeting in Woods' absence. Be nice to see P Cooper or Reynolds step up to the challenge also.

Ram65

Legend

Make it so, Coach! Lol.

Very appropriate topic with Woods out.

The first thing I wonder is how McVay will react.

Will he stick to the same plays and insert a different WR?

Will he move targets around to other positioned WR?

I don't see why Watkins couldn't run the Woods routes. Woods runs the short sideline, the long crossing to Goff's right, the dig inside and slant amongst others. I think Thomas could run the Watkins routes.

It would be good idea to see what Watkins can do but, I don't think McVay looks at it that way. I can see McVay moving the ball around. He may try to get Everett some more targets. I sure would like to see what Watkins can do. He seems to have the tools to step up but, some question the heart. I think he steps up.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Sorry for asking such a bad question you all already know. Do we still owe the Bills a second round pick if we let Watkins go after this season? Was it only based on if we kept him? Forgive the dumb question. Pretty sure they would still get our 2nd rounder no matter what we decided to do. Please let me know. We need so many players to fix up our D and OL as Sully & Whitworth age. Thanks.